Places to buy X1950pro AGP

Here's a few power use chart's below, to hopefully ease your mind a little. V-card makers way overstate power needs, due mostly in part, to all the poor quality units in the market place, that don't come close to there listed outputs, so take all this with a big grain of salt ! The unit you have now, should be fine with your current hardware specs. Or, if you'd feel better, the Antec that Honest John listed, would be a good unit at the right price. I've run Antecs units, and have done well, with all of them. You get what you pay for, right.

Just for yuks, here's a x1950 pro running on a 300 watter, with 18 amps on the 12 volt rail. CPU is a little slower though, about 20 watts less power use, than yours.

http://www.lostcircuits.com/video/sapphire_x1950proagp/4.shtml

Power use chart=

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2006q4/radeon-x1950-pro/index.x?pg=10

According to that chart the X1950PRO uses 147 Watt's (12.25 Amp's) Idle and 206 Watt's
under load (17 Amp's...! :eek: )

I'd say 18 Amp's is way too little... My system (with an nVidia FX5900) wouldn't even run
stable with my old PSU with 18 Amp's on the +12V rail and would do a H-A-R-D shutdown
(Ambulance Siren) if I tried to do ANYTHING besides surf the net...
(and even then sometimes... :p )

-------------------------

Katotonic,

If you're looking for a Good Quality PSU, that's easy on the wallet, (other than
the one that honestjohn suggested) I would suggest one of the Fortrons (FSP).
They are generaly "Underated" meaning they are usually "Better" than they claim.

This is the Fortron that I use:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

50 bucks + shipping. Dual +12V rails @18 amps each (29 amps combined max).

Hope this helps... :)

PS:
That Antec that hj listed has 3 (three) +12V rails @ 18 Amp's each which
would be better but does cost a bit more... May be worth it though... ;)

According to that chart the X1950PRO uses 147 Watt's (12.25 Amp's) Idle and 206 Watt's
under load (17 Amp's...! :eek: )

I'd say 18 Amp's is way too little... My system (with an nVidia FX5900) wouldn't even run
stable with my old PSU with 18 Amp's on the +12V rail and would do a H-A-R-D shutdown
(Ambulance Siren) if I tried to do ANYTHING besides surf the net...
(and even then sometimes... :p )

-------------------------

Katotonic,

If you're looking for a Good Quality PSU, that's easy on the wallet, (other than
the one that honestjohn suggested) I would suggest one of the Fortrons (FSP).
They are generaly "Underated" meaning they are usually "Better" than they claim.

This is the Fortron that I use:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

50 bucks + shipping. Dual +12V rails @18 amps each (29 amps combined max).

Hope this helps... :)

That chart lists, (total system) loads, not just the video card !

That chart lists, (total system) loads, not just the video card !

Than we need to know just what the VGA actually needs...

With out knowing the system demands for the individual rails
that chart is superfluous (useless... :p )

JMHO... ;)

Than we need to know just what the VGA actually needs...

With out knowing the system demands for the individual rails
that chart is superfluous (useless... :p )

JMHO... ;)

Those types of power use charts, are only meant, as a general use guideline. As always, there's to many variables involved in any given system, to give a precise useage perspective. But in retrospect, I'd say if the testbed they were using http://tinyurl.com/2uj8nm
Only maxed out at the wattages given, I think it's safe to say, user's tend to go way overkill with PSU's. But hey, if you've got the $ to burn, more is better, no doubt !

But if you need to know, this was taken from a review article here...< ATI is stating the power draw for a single X1950 Pro to be around 75W, and in CrossFire 150W > :eek:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTE5OCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

That would put it at, around 10 watts more than an OC'd X800XT PE, or the same as a6800 ultra.....
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-nv-power_9.html

Posting this here since there are several troubleshooting threads, this thread appears to be more popular and has gotten off topic from where to buy one anyway. Hope this helps someone.

Through headaches worth of troubleshooting I've found that what may seem like a PSU issue with the X1950 Pro AGP may in fact be an issue with the AGP slot on the mobo instead.

I started out putting this card in a Biostar NF325-A7 and despite using a Cooler Master Real 450 with two +12v rails at 18a and 16a the card wouldn't even initialize the monitor. All that would happen is the fan would operate.

So after reading and reading I determined it had to be my power supply and therefore researched and purchased the Mushkin 580 AP. Excellent PSU but it didn't solve my problem. Although I was going to be purchasing a larger PSU anyway since I was adding a 3rd HD and more RAM to the system and had read that the x1950 likes lots of current.

So I had a DFI NF3 UT 250 that I was going to use in the new system so I got it out and tried the x1950 on it along with the Cooler Master PSU and woila! the thing worked.

So while I thought the X1950 was forcing me to upgrade my PSU it was actually the mobo causing the issue. So if you think you have a good enough PSU, and apparently the Cooler Master is (and I assume any PSU with similar specs will too) try a different mobo or upping the voltage a bit in the BIOS to see if that helps (couldn't do that in the Biostar thouth). Be careful that you don't set it too high or you run the risk of frying the card.

While the Cooler Master worked I'll still be using the Mushkin for this rig instead and using the CM in a media center. The Mushkin has much better specs and has "rail fusion" (combines amperage from separate rails when power demands it. Something I thought the CM or any other multi rail PSU does but from what I've read that's untrue.)

Also make sure when you're testing and beating your head trying to get the x1950 to work that you remember to make all the necessary connections. Make sure you reattach the the supplement 4pin power connector near the CPU.

*Ignore my sig, I'll have to update it later.

Yep. I like those boosters to, Damn good idea,...may have to look in to one, Soon !?

There are two I'm aware of ATM...

The Fortron BoosterX3 (that I use) and the Thermaltake W0099RU...

The Fortron is 300W (400W Peak) and just uses one of the system
PSU's "Molex" connectors to signal it to turn on. It has a 2 x 6 Pin PCI-E
wiring harnes which I replaced with a home-made 2 x 4 Pin Molex harness
to power my Sapphire X1950PRO AGP...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104019

The Thermaltake is cheaper but is only 250W (300W Peak) and
uses an adapter on the ATXPWR1 connector between the system PSU
and the MB... I don't like the "Adapter" idea... :(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153037

I can't speak for the Thermaltake (never seen one in person) but the Fortron
is a VERY "High Quality" unit and I'd recommend it for anything but the nVidia
8800 series cards... ;)

I figure this "Booster" can move with me when I upgrade somewhere down
the road... :cool:

There are two I'm aware of ATM...

The Fortron BoosterX3 (that I use) and the Thermaltake W0099RU...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104019

The Thermaltake is cheaper but is only 250W (300W Peak) and
uses an adapter on the ATXPWR1 connector between the system PSU
and the MB... I don't like the "Adapter" idea... :(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153037

I can't speak for the Thermaltake (never seen one in person) but the Fortron
is a VERY "High Quality" unit and I'd recommend it for anything but the nVidia
8800 series cards... ;)

I figure this "Booster" can move with me when I upgrade somewhere down
the road... :cool:

See link for another Thermaltake Power Booster W0130 which they are marketing as ATI Crossfire Certified. This came up on another Forum. Haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet.

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/PurePower/w0130/w0130.asp

I really don't get It because it appears to be identical to the Nvidia SLI Certified Model W0099 which is available on various sites.

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/PurePower/w0099/w0099.asp

Maybe a PSU Guru can enlighten us? And speaking of PSU Gurus, JonnyGuru, you hangin around by any chance?

See link for another Thermaltake Power Booster W0130 which they are marketing as ATI Crossfire Certified. This came up on another Forum. Haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet.

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/PurePower/w0130/w0130.asp

I really don't get It because it appears to be identical to the Nvidia SLI Certified Model W0099 which is available on various sites.

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/PurePower/w0099/w0099.asp

Maybe a PSU Guru can enlighten us? And speaking of PSU Gurus, JonnyGuru, you hangin around by any chance?

That's Probably the ONLY difference between them... One's SLI certified and
the other is Crossfire certified... :p

I like the Fortron better... All the cables are Modular, there's no "Adapter" to
cause problems and add resistance to the ATXPWR1 connection (as well as add
clutter) and it has much better output... ;)

The ONLY thing I don't like about the Fortron is that the light is way Toooo
Bright...!!! :eek:

I'll fix that though by putting some kind of sticker over the the two LED's to cut
the glare and then it will be fine... :cool:

Are these "boosters" compatible with AGP systems? I heard the x1950pro AGP requires a PCI-E connection so I assume the Thermaltake listed above is compatible, just not sure.

Are these "boosters" compatible with AGP systems? I heard the x1950pro AGP requires a PCI-E connection so I assume the Thermaltake listed above is compatible, just not sure.

Depends on the card...

My Sapphire has 2 x "Molex" connectors but others have "PCI-E"...

See post #454:

Well, I just installed the Zalman ZV9 on my Sapphire X1950 PRO and I'm here to say that this card performs way beyond my expectations.

Just curious, did you do anything to cool the VRMs or no? The stock sink touches them, so I was thinking they needed a little something extra.

I put the Vantec Iceberq 6 on my Sapphire. Had a spare RAM sink lying around too that I cut in half (wouldn't fit whole) and used thermal tape to stick to the VRMs. Now the card's dead. :mad: Again.

Assuming I get one back from RMA (in 4 weeks *sigh*), I want to put the new heatsink on it but I wonder if I should even bother with the VRMs.

:eek:
Assuming I get one back from RMA (in 4 weeks *sigh*), I want to put the new heatsink on it but I wonder if I should even bother with the VRMs.

Personally. I would... ;)

Here's a Google page with lot's of links about X1950PRO instability
because of overheated VRM's...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=X1950+PRO+VRM&btnG=Google+Search

On a "Funnier" note, look what happened to this guy...

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/WTF-lol-ftopict225691.html#1529506

YIKES...!!! :eek: :p

BTW: Check out post #408 in this thread for some ideas for cooling that card... ;)

i have an enermax 485 watt with 32a on the 12v rail
it's dual @ 18a each. (no idea what dual is, but it does have the 6 pin connector, so i don't need a 4pin molex to 6pin)

will that work for the x1950pro ? since its req is 30a on the 12v rail?

Here's a Google page with lot's of links about X1950PRO instability because of overheated VRM's...

I know all about the VRM troubles, I was just wondering if Johnny did anything with his or not. ;)

BTW: Check out post #408 in this thread for some ideas for cooling that card...

I got the Iceberq 6 for this, so that's what I plan on using. Similar in capacity and sound level to the Zalman, but exhausts externally. Fits fine, too. The card just died to spite me, I think.

I think next time I'll put a little electrical tape along the edges of the VRM sinks I put on, just to be sure they aren't touching and shorting anything. Though I don't have any spare thermal tape at this point, so I hope the stuff I left on the sinks is still good enough to hold. I'm sure if I looked, I could findsome to by online. Or rather, I'm sure Wizard will come back with a link by tomorrow. :D

Hello

I have Enermax 465 PSU and I can power x1950 Pro AGP flawlessly.

I have 2 HDD, 1 DVD drive.

The Sapphire version is not loud at all. I don't understand what people are talking about.

Though I don't have any spare thermal tape at this point, so I hope the stuff I left on the sinks is still good enough to hold. I'm sure if I looked, I could findsome to by online. Or rather, I'm sure Wizard will come back with a link by tomorrow. :D

Here you go... :p

http://www.coolerguys.com/ovsu.html

I wouldn't re-use that stuff... It would not conduct the heat properly... ;)

Also, there is a "Break-in" period for ALL thermal compounds in which it will
Cure and then transfer heat a lot better... Run it hot by using a stressfull
program and then let it cool to room temp... Do this several times for a few
days and it will give much better temp. readings... ;)

Like I mentioned a few times earlier, I'm not a huge techie so I don't know a ton about all the VRM heat issues some people are talking about. When I ordered my Zalman ZV9, I also ordered an additional set of VRM heatsinks and some artic silver 5. The extra set of VRM came in handy because the Zalman package only comes with exactly 8 heatsinks so if you screw up the adhesive on any of those, the heatsink is pretty much useless. A few of the original heatsinks didn't seem to adhere too well the first time through and I replaced those right away. After a little trial and error everything seemed very secure and so far there have been no issues. I keep the fan on the new cooler running at 100% and everthing stays very very cool. The GPU now doesn't ever get above the mid 40's. Awesome cooler.

As a side note, for some reason, even though I have the fan knob turned up to 100% on the controller, it doesn't techniquely run at 100% all the time. When the temp on the card is at 35 degrees and below the cooler runs at about 50%. When the temps hit about 36 degrees the fan turns itself on to 100%. Not a big deal but just an observation.

BTW, I'd like to post an image of the ZV9 on my card but I'm not sure how to post images on this forum. Anyone willing to point me in the right direction?

BTW, I'd like to post an image of the ZV9 on my card but I'm not sure how to post images on this forum. Anyone willing to point me in the right direction?

You can click on the "Insert Image" button which is on the toolbar where you compose your message or put it in manually by placing the bracketed text below around the hyperlink where your image is located.

I've been using this card for about 2 weeks already.

I can run the games I normal play silk smooth.

I don't normally play BF2 but I wanted to test it see the difference between 9800 Pro vs x1950 Pro. The x1950 Pro is so fast its mind blowing.

Anyways, I found out I do have some problems I am not so sure about. I've try running the game with custom resolution 1680 x 1050 and I notice my frames per second drop to 20-25.

Question

Can this x1950 Pro handle 1680 x 1050 with everything @ high?

As some of you may or may not already know, I am now on my second HIS ICEQ3 Turbo X1950 Pro and both have had the exact same issue. I had to underclock (core) to 600-614Mhz. to get them to work properly. If I kept the card at it's default of 620 Mhz. for the Core, I would lose signal to monitor when under heavy 3D Load. A number of users over on OverclockersUK forum have also complained of the same issue.

Well, good news everyone. HIS has come up with a brilliant solution to all of this. The new HIS ICEQ3 Turbo X1950 Pro's called Rev.2 will now have new clocks. The default core speed will now be 590 Mhz instead of 620 Mhz. and the memory will be 1540 Mhz. effective rather than 1480 Mhz. Wow, that's really a coincidence. :rolleyes: My faulty Rev.1 card runs just fine at the Rev.2 clocks with the help of ATI Tray Tools. Guess I really should be happy about all of this. I went from having a bad Rev.1 card to a perfectly good do-it-yourself Rev.2 card, just by using ATI Tray Tools.....and I was just about to RMA my card, what was I thinking. :rolleyes:

http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov.php?id=296&view=yes

http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov.php?id=292&view=yes

I have actually been looking around to see if it's for sale anywhere, but I don't think I'll be getting it. Unless of course my sickness kicks in again. To save me from me, I'm hoping it will only be for sale in Europe because I swore an oathe to myself that I'd never buy anything like that again overseas.

I have actually been looking around to see if it's for sale anywhere, but I don't think I'll be getting it. Unless of course my sickness kicks in again. To save me from me, I'm hoping it will only be for sale in Europe because I swore an oathe to myself that I'd never buy anything like that again overseas.

Hey H.J., I'm counting on you ! You've done such a good job with testing (tongue in cheek) etc. I'm kinda interested to see if it's any big improvement ? ;) I'm watching for one to, let us know if you see one.

Hey H.J., I'm counting on you ! You've done such a good job with testing (tongue in cheek) etc. I'm kinda interested to see if it's any big improvement ? ;) I'm watching for one to, let us know if you see one.

Sure, please let me know if you come across one as well. I've recently joined the GCJ (Graphics Card Junkies) and I'm on step twelve at the moment. So no 1950XT for me. No sir. No way. No how. I will not cave in to temptation yet again. It's only a GPU. Only the fastest AGP GPU on the planet. Hell, It's a, Twin-Fanned Cooling Masterpiece, and the damn thing BELONGS IN MY RIG!! Oh well. Guess it's time to give my sponsor a call again.

Sure, please let me know if you come across one as well. I've recently joined the GCJ (Graphics Card Junkies) and I'm on step twelve at the moment. So no 1950XT for me. No sir. No way. No how. I will not cave in to temptation yet again. It's only a GPU. Only the fastest AGP GPU on the planet. Hell, It's a, Twin-Fanned Cooling Masterpiece, and the damn thing BELONGS IN MY RIG!! Oh well. Guess it's time to give my sponsor a call again.

And there's no way I would mention the fact that a TEC (AKA Thermo-Electric Cooler, AKA like the Monsoon II for CPUs) cooler is hiding under those twin fans, because that might drive you over the edge--oops! My bad...:D

When I saw that on the GeCube site, I just about did a spit-take on my monitor.

John,

I'd hate to see you fall back off of the Wagon so I'll make the "Supreme" sacrafice for you... ;)

Buy my Sapphire X1950PRO from me (you KNOW it's a good card) and I'll get one of them there GeCube X1950XT's (with the TEC... :cool: ) and try it FOR you... :)

I just don't want to see you, my "Friend", go down that dangerous path again.. :eek:

(Really John... I'd do it for YOU bud... ;) )

Buy my Sapphire X1950PRO from me (you KNOW it's a good card) and I'll get one of them there GeCube X1950XT's (with the TEC... :cool: ) and try it FOR you... :)

Thanks Pal, Only if you throw a Zalman VF900U on it first and put some sinks on the VRM's. Then we'll talk. Hey, I'm crazy, not stupid.

:eek: Heheeeeee...I'll pick you up at 7:30, we'll go together !

Is there really a big difference in the Sapphire vs Diamond models?

No, not really. They are both using a stock heatsink/fan. Clocks are the same The biggest difference is the price. The Sapphire is usually around $50 cheaper. However, Diamond would probably be easier to deal with if you ever had to RMA your card 6 months down the road. Heard some very neagtive things regarding Sapphire's warranty.

Thanks for that last post, power section helped me alot. Unfortunately I cannot find any power supplies with 30a on 12v, I suppose they run upwards of $150 or more which is more than I am able to spend as I am also purchasing the x1950. I did however find and Enermax with 485w and 22amps on 2 rails with pfc for a little less than $100.

TBH anything more than that would make me reconsider buying the card all together. Two of the reviews on newegg were from guys with x1950pros and a hell of alot more going on inside the tower than me so I'm fairly confident this will do the trick. Unless you want to point me in the direction of a single 12v with 30amp for no more than $100...lol...I will take my chances, thanks for the article.

Actually, I've found a few Silverstone (and even two PC Power and Cooling) PSUs that will kill your 12V rail ills.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163111

(Silverstone Zeus SST56ZF @ Newegg)

Yes, it's a single-rail EPS PSU, but it also supports PFC (like your Enermax) And it's a 38A (12V rail) PSU (so I doubt any of your components will be starving for power anytime soon). I have a low opinion of multirail PSUs because you can't tell what plug comes from what rail; worse, when you have a multirail PSU, you can overload one rail while underloading another (definitely bad for the PSU).

The two PCP&C PSUs that are in the same price range are both in the Silencer line (Silencer 610 ATX and Silencer 750 Quad). Like the Silverstone, both are single-rail and support active PFC. The 750 Quad is an EPS 12V PSU (however, EPS PSUs can drive normal ATX motherboards) like the Silverstone (so you may need a 24-to-20-pin adapter).
While all three *list* over $100, none of the three lists for $150 (and each is at times on sale for $100 or less; I recently had the misfortune to miss out on a factory-remanufactured Silencer 750 Quad for $99 direct from PCP&C).

However, Diamond would probably be easier to deal with if you ever had to RMA your card 6 months down the road. Heard some very neagtive things regarding Sapphire's warranty.

Without going into any detail, I can tell you that I will NEVER buy another Sapphire product.....When my X1950 comes back from RMA, they have lost me forever as a customer...
So yeah, buy the Diamond card......And tell your friends too ....unless aggravation is what they like. Then its Sapphire all the way.

Without going into any detail, I can tell you that I will NEVER buy another Sapphire product.....When my X1950 comes back from RMA, they have lost me forever as a customer...
So yeah, buy the Diamond card......And tell your friends too ....unless aggravation is what they like. Then its Sapphire all the way.

Yeah, I might sell my X1950Pro after I get it back from rma too..

Back