Places to buy X1950pro AGP

Please see post #340. What chomped was referring to was once you get the PCI-E/Molex Adapter a number of users are complaining that they need to cut/trim the end of the PCI-E/Molex Adapter so it can fit the HIS card properly. Otherwise pins don't make adequate contact and either no video or reboots result.

Also what model PSU is your Enermax? It's not so much the watts, it's the amps on the +12v rail (s).

I'm kinda clueless on the whole PCI-E/Molex Adapter (I do have a standard 4 pin so I know I need one). Can someone kindly post a link to the best deal on PCI-E/Molex Adapters?

Thanks.

Well, I just ordered the HIS card from Newegg after RMAing the Sapphire. I'm willing to pay the extra $50 after hearing about people having problems with replacement Sapphire cards. Plus the larger HSF will be nice, the Sapphire got loud over 60%.

My passive Sapphire 9800pro has been going strong for well over 2 years, but I think they dropped the ball on these x1950's.... First issues with the PCIe version (which they fixed by selling a more expensive version of the card), now problems with AGP as well? No thanks!

Paul

oh thanks. those weren't on newegg a few days ago when i did some searching. :D.

anyone have these single slot solutions installed? no problem? temps? etc?

oh thanks. those weren't on newegg a few days ago when i did some searching. :D.

anyone have these single slot solutions installed? no problem? temps? etc?

I have the Saphire 512 card, and I have had no problems at all..its runs cool and plays all games fine......

I see other people having problems with the Saphire card.....Perhaps its not the card, but something else.....Or maybe Im just lucky :)

I have the Saphire 512 card, and I have had no problems at all..its runs cool and plays all games fine......

I see other people having problems with the Saphire card.....Perhaps its not the card, but something else.....Or maybe Im just lucky :)

+1

no problems here

since there's no diodes in the GPU, how do we know what the GPU temps are?

edit: didn't see anyone talk about this in this thread but will 512MB help? going for high-res gaming, i'm gathering the 512 will help with high-res texture in high res 1920x1200+ and so on.

since there's no diodes in the GPU, how do we know what the GPU temps are?

edit: didn't see anyone talk about this in this thread but will 512MB help? going for high-res gaming, i'm gathering the 512 will help with high-res texture in high res 1920x1200+ and so on.

Mine shows temp in ATI tool and CCC...not sure who has missing diodes, but its not the Sapphire card...

EDIT: here is a screen cap

ati3ji.jpg

Yup... you are correct. Although I believe the extra memory allows higher resolution textures more so than the screen resolution. Your core speed and architecture will really be the determining factor on the screen resolution. Just use ati tray tool and start a graph displaying your free video memory. Start up any game that allows for different size textures and watch the results change drastically based on what res texture you use. I have the Powercolor 256MB and somewhat regret it for this very reason since future games will really start to bring on the high res textures. I think very soon 512MB of V-ram will be the standard to get

Well my HIS ATI Radeon X1950 Pro has shipped.

This is my first ATI card - I have no idea what drivers I should use (or where to get them).

Anyone help me on this?

I have a P4 3.0 (not sure if that matters).

Well my HIS ATI Radeon X1950 Pro has shipped.

This is my first ATI card - I have no idea what drivers I should use (or where to get them).

Anyone help me on this?

I have a P4 3.0 (not sure if that matters).

Well with my x1950pro the 6.12 cat drivers work great and seem to be more stable than any other with this card. Get them here. I haven't tried the 7.1 drivers but 6.12 has x1950pro support so I feel no obligation ;). Make sure you properly uninstall your nvidia drivers if coming from an nvidia card.

I also have a P4 3.0 and have mine clocked @ 3.3. It seems to work OK with this card but it seems a CPU upgrade would help this card perform better. Ah well, I'm planning an entire new system by the end of 2007. This card will definitely help me get the graphics fix I need till then. Enjoy!

I have a Antec true power 430watt PSU will it be ok with the sig and a x1950pro 512mb??

I would hope you would be fine (and think you would) but you will be cutting it very close. If I were in your position I'd go ahead and try it and see if all is good. If not then I'd buy a PSU that would be good for your current system and my future system so not to waste money away. Maybe someone with this card and that PSU can better answer your question :)

Well my HIS ATI Radeon X1950 Pro has shipped. This is my first ATI card - I have no idea what drivers I should use (or where to get them). Anyone help me on this? I have a P4 3.0 (not sure if that matters).
The most current drivers are at http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html. I'm using these drivers with my current X850 XT PE, and they work fine.

BTW, I will be purchasing an HiS X1950 Pro in a week to 10 days, when I get my tax refund, and I also have a P4 3.0, so I would be interested in hearing how well the card is working for you.

I too have the Antec True Power 430 for PSU, and I want to order the Powercolor x1950 Pro AGP card. I looked at the specs of the Tru 430 on their site, and it states 26A on the 12V rail. While cutting it somewhat close to the *suggested* specs (ie, 450W PSU with 30A on the 12V), I think I will be OK (but I am going to get the card from somewhere like NewEgg with a decent return policy just in case). I only have one hard drive and two optical drives in my gaming rig, so my overall power requirements (beyond the video card and CPU) are somewhat low.

Anyone here have the x1950 Pro AGP and are running it on a system with a PSU below the suggested requirements?

HIS x1950 Turbo 512MB AGP running fine here. Silverstone OP1000 single rail 1Kw PSU, P4 3.2 GHz northwood OCed to 3.6 GHz. The only thing is ATI overdrive doesn't seem to be working with this card. I try to apply new GPU and Ram speed settings and it jumps back to what it was before. Anyone else have this problem? (no, I don't have the 3D applications only box checked).

I have my Sapphire X1950PRO AGP running on a 300W Fortron mATX PSU in my SFF system without a hitch so far in the 3 weeks Ive had it. The +12V line only drops to 11.86 under full load and at idle its 12.04. Plays everything I throw at it at max settings without any stability issues.

P.S. +12V rails are 8A + 14.5A

Arrow spark, you need to run the automatic OC application to get optimal stable results,
it seems this overclock utility (overdrive) was meant for the unexperienced OC'er therefore you cant just go up in 5 mhz increments, try to move it half way or a quarter up or so and
it will go up slightly on its own, i had the same prob, also if you have the only accelerate with 3d apps than it never seems to hold the OC, anyway, for some reason i hated it allways being unlocked and i needed to re-format anyway, so after re-installing everything it shows up still locked, just as i wanted, this card runs great stock, im gonna leave it that way.

guys , has anyone with the HIS card tried using the latest OMEGA driverS? do they work ok? I'll get my card this monday supposedly and I'm wondering if i can keep my favorite drivers of the past 2 years...

I installed the HIS card yesterday... no problems yet (knock on pcb). Card idles around 39-42C and gets to around 60C under load. No problems soft rebooting and no problems with artifacts.

I think people are seeing the effects of two problems with these x1950pro cards:

1. Bad thermal connection between VRMs/memory modules and heatsinks. The HIS card has the same foam between the chips and the heatsink as the Sapphire (although the foam on my Sapphire card looked "loose" between some of the modules, which is probably why the card had problems). I'm sure this is where a lot of people are experiencing problems. They should have custom-cut the heatsink to come into direct contact with the chips, or soldered copper extensions to come into contact with the chips. This of course would have cost them more $$.

2. No fan control programmed into BIOS. Both the HIS and Sapphire have the fan set at 40%. This is no problem with the HIS because of the larger HSF, but the temps did benefit from a boost up to 50% at 60C (40% at 60C, and the temp was still slooowly creeping up). The Sapphire doesn't have this luxury, and these chips don't seem to be run above 65-70C.

Those are my 2 cents... I'll withdraw them if this HIS card starts giving me headaches too :)

same here.. it seems to run ok so far.

i put pretty agressive fan setting in ATT, but the card even under load doesnt go over 45 C or so in most games i play at least. ( i got excellent cooling in my case..this may help..).

running more tough games it get get up to 52 or so but no more. i need to tax it really hard with something i believe just to be sure..

I am thinking of buying this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102071

I had a bad experience with the visiontek version. It's analog video quality was so bad you could hardly read any text. The ghosting had at least 10 reflections, and it was just all around bad on my CRT.

I am hoping that this was just either a bad card or a problem with only visiontek.

Could you guys tell me what you think of the sapphire version? I read that it gets too hot, but is it possible to modify the fan speeds in the card's bios? Does the temp. sensor work? Does it look like an aftermarket heatsink could be used on this card without troubles?

I am thinking of buying this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102071

I had a bad experience with the visiontek version. It's analog video quality was so bad you could hardly read any text. The ghosting had at least 10 reflections, and it was just all around bad on my CRT.

I am hoping that this was just either a bad card or a problem with only visiontek.

Could you guys tell me what you think of the sapphire version? I read that it gets too hot, but is it possible to modify the fan speeds in the card's bios? Does the temp. sensor work? Does it look like an aftermarket heatsink could be used on this card without troubles?

The Sapphire sounds like, not 1 jet engine taking off, but 3! You can crank up the speeds to about 100%, but I saw about 2C decrease, so not really worth it to me. I just left it at around 50% and not as loud (I have my AC on), and perfectly good. Temps not so good though, 47 idle and high as 72C. This is me running F@H GPU project, so I'm working it though. But I do need to get some exhaust on my case though.

running more tough games it get get up to 52 or so but no more. i need to tax it really hard with something i believe just to be sure..

Have you tried the 3DRenderer in ATI Tray Tools? It taxes the card nicely. No dips in temps, temps are up and stay there. I just let it run all night myself so I could test my current clocks.

getting conflicting reports. some say it's hot, some say it runs cool. i guess it really depends on your case airflow? but people with 'good airflow' says it's high as well, no?

Question. I have a new PSU in my system to power my sapphire card. (I ended up going with the single rail Silverstone St56zf over the Enermax Liberty mostly because the reviews on newegg were better for the silverstone). Anyway, I put the new PSU in and everything seems to be running rock solid. I'm very happy. I have a P4 3.4ghz and 2 gigs of Ram. I've adjusted the fan speeds on tray tools so that the fan on the card never runs below 70%. I've slightly overclocked the card using overdrive so that it's currently at 607 for the core and 716 for the memory. With the slight overclock and new PSU, my 3dmark05 score went from 7618 to 7789. Anyway, I'm very happy with the card. I know basically that to improve my benchmark scores I'd have to get a faster CPU, but for now this'll do. Anyway, right now the card idles in the mid 40's and under full load gets up to about 61 degrees. I'm thinking ahead to the longevity of the card and I was wondering if I should invest in an aftermarket cooler since many people have questioned the efficacy of Sapphire's stock cooling. If so, what cooler should I look for? Or maybe should I just sell the Sapphire card and buy an HIS card with the better cooler? I'm not necessarily looking to OC the card anymore. I just want it to last longer. What do you think? Thanks.

Well I can tame the heat but I can't get it if it is going to look like shit on my 21" CRT.

At least my 7800gs can run the highest resolution without ghosting. It still is not as clear as some of the previous ATI cards, but it is not bad.

Haha, I should have got an x850xt instead of the 7800gs.

But now I want the x1950.

Ok I got my HIS x1950 Pro 512mb APG card and plugged it in. When I turned on the power nothing happened.
If I unplug the card then computer turns on. Does this mean my power supply isn't good enough to run the card?

I have an Antec True 550w
AC input: 115v/12a, 230v6a; 60hz/50hz
DC Output: +5v/ +12v/ +3.3v/ -5v/ -12v/ +5sb
Max: 40A/ 30A/ 32A/ .5A/ 1.0A/ 2.0A

The card requirements:
450w w/ 30amp current on a 12v rail.

I have no idea what any of this means (what's a rail?) and if my PSU isn't good enough what one should I get?

Back