Places to buy X1950pro AGP

supposed to be out at the end of the month, with a price tag close to 400 bucks.

supposed to be about 100 more then the PCIE version, and that runs 280.00

supposed to be out at the end of the month, with a price tag close to 400 bucks.

Imho, its not worth it to stay on AGP if you have to drop an additional $100 premium for getting an AGP (compared to PCI-Express). You can find good motherboards with PCI-Express for about $100 with more upgradbility than AGP.

Just bought it in the UK for $303 shipped to US. See my post on last page. Actually costed me only $28 after selling Sapphire.

ya, its deffinatly not worth it to drop almost 400 bucks on an AGP card.

ill go upto about 250 or so for a new agp card, but thats it. its too expensive for me to switch over to pcie. im running on a S754 so i would basicly be building a whole new system if i did the switch.

im just gonna wait about 18 months and get a new system them. should be just about in time for the R700 launch.

Darn. Wish I had checked earlier about the 512MB HIS card.. that's a darn good deal... hopefully yours will work perfectly.. it would be a pain to rma overseas..

Oh well. My rma at newegg for the fried sapphire went through, haven't recieved payment yet, but saw the completed rma and invoice for the refund...

and as it might be, newegg also has the powercolor back in stock price has been lowered to 239.99.. both at newegg.com and mwave.com and there's a $20 rebate.. so I ordered it.. will come to $219 after rebate.. $225 with shipping..

I contemplated long about 512mb vs 256mb... considering my lcd supports a max of 1280x1024.. and I plan to rebuild in 1.5-2 years... the performance of 256mb will be just fine (based on tests showing the 512mb is really only beneficial for 1600x1200+ resolutions).. and the extra savings vs a HIS or powercolor 512mb version is good.. plus I think powercolor has lifetime warranty..

Here is a single 6-pin PCI-E power to single 4-pin Molex adapter:
PCI Express to Molex Adapter Cable - Sleeved: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186&products_id=21141

If you're running off of a PSU with a single PCI-E power lead you could use one of these with a single to dual Molex splitter...Just a thought... ;)

Edit: On the other hand, considering the price of those adapters (YIKES...!!!) I may just cut and splice myself... :p

Ah, thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was looking for. But yeah, I feel ya. $13 just for that? I think I can manage to rig something up myself. Little wire stripping here, some electrical tape there...should be able to do it without even cutting into my Antec's wires. It'll be ghetto, though. :D

Newegg has the PowerColor back in stock at $239.99, or $219.99 if you factor in the $20 mail in rebate. That puts the AGP version only $20 bucks more than the PCI-E version.

Newegg now has the GeCube 256MB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814241041

It appears they went with their own PCB design. Impressive. Their HSF looks similar to ATI reference, but it's all copper, and the blades look larger. Additionally, there's a huge copper heatspreader on the back. Looks pretty.

EDIT: Interesting. Looking at their PCB, it looks like they ditched the VRM design and opted for a more traditional "macro-scale" design. Unless those transistors are for something else. Could be their solution to the whole "heat problem"

those 512mb HIS AGP cards look awesome, i just sent my 2nd sapphire back for RMA and i will never ever run one of there cards again. i dont care if its free! i really dont have the time or money to screw around with these x1950pro cards anymore. i think ill just drop the cash on the 512 HIS and call it a day, will work for the games i play and get my pc running again.

before i order.... has ANYONE had major problems with the 1950pro agp cards? ie boot issues or artifacts?

It appears they went with their own PCB design. Impressive. Their HSF looks similar to ATI reference, but it's all copper, and the blades look larger. Additionally, there's a huge copper heatspreader on the back. Looks pretty.

EDIT: Interesting. Looking at their PCB, it looks like they ditched the VRM design and opted for a more traditional "macro-scale" design. Unless those transistors are for something else. Could be their solution to the whole "heat problem"

Only complaint I've heard is that they left off the temp diode, so no temp monitoring.

those 512mb HIS AGP cards look awesome, i just sent my 2nd sapphire back for RMA and i will never ever run one of there cards again. i dont care if its free! i really dont have the time or money to screw around with these x1950pro cards anymore. i think ill just drop the cash on the 512 HIS and call it a day, will work for the games i play and get my pc running again.

before i order.... has ANYONE had major problems with the 1950pro agp cards? ie boot issues or artifacts?

Heard the HIS Idles at 37c and under load 57c, so artifacting shouldn't be an issue. However, I don't know if you heard this or not. Just a warning about the HIS Card. Does your Power Supply have dedicated PCI-E connectors or just Molex? If your Power Supply is 4-pin Molex only you will need to buy a PCI-E/Molex Adapter as it does not come with the card. The secondary problem is a lot of people are reporting that the PCI-E Connector on the Adapter they bought is to long to fit on the HIS card and they have to cut down the end of the PCI-E/Molex Adapter so it can make adequate contact with the card's PCI-E Connector.

to me it looks almost identical to the VisionTek card at BestBuy.

edit: except for the price of course. :)

Ah, thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was looking for. But yeah, I feel ya. $13 just for that? I think I can manage to rig something up myself. Little wire stripping here, some electrical tape there...should be able to do it without even cutting into my Antec's wires. It'll be ghetto, though. :D

I'm thinking of getting one of these tool kits...

CaseArts PSU Modding Kit, Full 4pc custom tool set:
http://www.bestbyteinc.com/Cables_&...l_4pc_custom_tool_set/Page_4/TOL-CAS-PMO.html

I've got plenty of old Molex's that I can remove the pins from (Along with a length of the wire) and then just plug them "Individually" into the 6 PCI-E females... The other ends I can splice onto the +12V and Ground pins of another Molex and make my own adapter so I don't need to damage any of the existing wiring from the PSU... ;)

Sound good...? :confused:

to me it looks almost identical to the VisionTek card at BestBuy.

edit: except for the price of course. :)

I agree. That's the first thing I thought when I saw the card. The Gecube even has the Heatspreader covering the length of the card on the bottom just as the Visiontek does. Also, as I mentioned before the one complaint I heard about the Gecube is that it lacks the temp diode, makes sense since the Visiontek doesn't have it either. Must be the same PCB design used for both cards.

http://www.visiontek.com/products/cards/retail/x1950pro_AGP.html#

I agree. That's the first thing I thought when I saw the card. The Gecube even has the Heatspreader covering the length of the card on the bottom just as the Visiontek does. Also, as I mentioned before the one complaint I heard about the Gecube is that it lacks the temp diode, makes sense since the Visiontek doesn't have it either. Must be the same PCB design used for both cards.

http://www.visiontek.com/products/cards/retail/x1950pro_AGP.html#

My bad...

I wasn't thinking and was comparing it to the 512MB versions of the x1950Pro (pcie/agp).. so is that the reference ati design? The powercolor is different...

My bad...

I wasn't thinking and was comparing it to the 512MB versions of the x1950Pro (pcie/agp).. so is that the reference ati design? The powercolor is different...

I just saw the edit of your post above, and you actually made a very good observation. It looks like the Gecube and Visiontek did something very different on the end of the PCB where the VRMs are located. Hadn't really given it much thought before.

The cards using the reference PCB design seem to be Powercolor, HIS, Diamond, and Sapphire. Don't know about Club or the rest. Who knows, perhaps Visiontek/Gecube varied from the reference design due to the heat issues associated with the VRMs as you suggested. Then again, they may have also changed the design just to save some money, as they did when they left the temp diode off the card.

Visiontek - Front

Visontek - Back

Sapphire/Diamond/HIS/Powercolor - ATI Reference Design (Card Pictured PCI-E/Same basic design for AGP)

I've got plenty of old Molex's that I can remove the pins from (Along with a length of the wire) and then just plug them "Individually" into the 6 PCI-E females... The other ends I can splice onto the +12V and Ground pins of another Molex and make my own adapter so I don't need to damage any of the existing wiring from the PSU... ;)

Sound good...? :confused:

Well, as I found the pin off the standard 4-pin Molex is too large to fit into the PCIe connector. Some wire strippers, a little twist and the bare wire went in perfectly, though. It works, though I'm using a splitter on the one Molex I attached and am getting some lockups. It might be best two attach two seperate Molex to the PCIe connector rather than using a splitter.

Hey I've been following the development of the X1950 AGP card since early december. I have almost made my decision to buy the HIS 512MB version from overclockers.uk, even though they are located in Europe and i live in the midwest. Has anyone else done what i am thinking about doing? Reasons i want to buy from overclockers.uk is because of the price difference compared to newegg (and its on sale till thurday The only reason holding me back are customer service if there is a problem because the retailer is located so far away.

Another question is that i have a 6 month old Antec Truepower 2.0 480w PSU.

here is the link
HTML:
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=22480

Will this have a sufficient amout of amperes to run the X1950 PRO AGP?

It all depends on what you have running in your computer. For instance, I have a completely minimal setup of an undervolted P4, 1 stick of ram, 1 hard drive, and a dvd writer and a 300 watt power supply with 8 + 14.5 amps on the 12 volt rail that is stable for me. My power supply runs the X1950PRO AGP without a problem.

Post your system specs and maybe we can help to decide if that Antec is up to the job.

Hmm for $303 for the HIS 512MB (OC UK) looks very very tempting. However, got to find a buyer that will buy my Sapphire 512MB then I can buy the HIS for $303.

You'll be fine that Antec is a good PSU. I have the same one but mines the Tru-Blue 480 and its a powerhouse.Yonex whats wrong with your sapphire that makes you want the HIS?

Hmm for $303 for the HIS 512MB (OC UK) looks very very tempting. However, got to find a buyer that will buy my Sapphire 512MB then I can buy the HIS for $303.

Just so you know, that UK Overclockers deal ends on Thursday. Do you have an Ebay Account, mentioned before, I was able to sell mine for $275 + $10 Shipping.

You'll be fine that Antec is a good PSU. I have the same one but mines the Tru-Blue 480 and its a powerhouse.Yonex whats wrong with your sapphire that makes you want the HIS?

Sapphire fan is really loud, granted its not having the issues that many people are reporting, but still. Cost of getting a Zalman VF900 is about $45. Got my Sapphire for 260 after shipping + tax. So the cost of getting the HIS is about the same price anyways and the HIS has better cooling.

Just so you know, that UK Overclockers deal ends on Thursday. Do you have an Ebay Account, mentioned before, I was able to sell mine for $275 + $10 Shipping.

Naw, no ebay account :(

The only reason holding me back are customer service if there is a problem because the retailer is located so far away.

Another question is that i have a 6 month old Antec Truepower 2.0 480w PSU.

here is the link
HTML:
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=22480

Don't know if you read my post but I did the same thing and mine should be here by Friday. Anyway, I wouldn't let the location of the company hold you back. If I have an issue, I'll RMA the card directly back to HIS rather than dealing with sending it back to the UK. There's also a good chance HIS would cross-ship the new card back as well, most video card manufacturers do.

Regarding your PSU. It is under the manufacturer's recommended specs by a couple of amps, but there is still a good chance it may work if your system isn't loaded.

Sapphire fan is really loud, granted its not having the issues that many people are reporting, but still. Cost of getting a Zalman VF900 is about $45. Got my Sapphire for 260 after shipping + tax. So the cost of getting the HIS is about the same price anyways and the HIS has better cooling.
(

Also read the review of the PCI-E version of the HIS on a realistic test bed, AGP performance should be almost identical. It's outstanding. It can even be overclocked further than HIS has already overclocked the card. Flip forward in the review to the overclocking section. Also came across something else interesting while researching the HIS. Manufacturers Specs and Retail Box says the HIS core is Pre-overclocked at 620MHz. Everyone that owns one, says the core is actually 635MHz. out of the box.

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=901&cid=2

Post your system specs and maybe we can help to decide if that Antec is up to the job.[/QUOTE]

P4 3.0Ghz processor
2gb ram
nvidia 6600
1 cd-rom burner
1 dvd-rom
intel d865perl mobo
currently only 1 80gb HDD, but i am trying to run two other 120gb HDDs using a SCSI Rain controller but having some problems.

I've noticed with all of this in my system i have no power connectors free, so i would probably have to drop a HDD or one of my roms

Well put my card up on Craiglist, hopefully I can sell it, and before Thursday.

I think I'm going to go for the HIS 1950 512 AGP from the UK as well.

I keep hearing something about a "molex-pcie connector", do I need to be concerned about that?

Though it seemed fine for a while, my Sapphire X1950 is doing a good job of dying now. Popped the 6800GT back in for a bit.

The 6800 didn't seem to like being powered from my PCIe converted to 4-pin, though. POST screen was all garbled. X1950 didn't seem to mind, though. When it was working.

I think I'm going to go for the HIS 1950 512 AGP from the UK as well.

I keep hearing something about a "molex-pcie connector", do I need to be concerned about that?

Yes you do if you have a PSU with only 4-pin Molex connections. The HIS Power Connector is PCI-E. If you have a PCI-E cable connection from your Power Supply, no worries. If you have only 4-pin Molex see post #340 on the last page. I went into this in detail.

Actually i think you need something like THIS: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186&products_id=2680

which is kind of epxpensive i guess especially if you factor in shipping.

I'm currently salivating over the 512MB HIs car in overclockers UK, i;m wondering how much shipping will cost ( to greece..) , add to that an adapter...but more i'm wondering if my oldish 470W enermax PSU will be able to cope with the monster card... maybe if i take out 2 of the 6 cards i have in this machine...??

are you guys that order from the overcklockers.uk e-shop happywith service and responce ( and delivery time)? has anyone of you gotten a molex to PCI-E adaptor from them? i would hate to have to order one from a different shop...

on the other hand maybe i should wait till my local computer superstore brings it in a month or so:p have another chance to talk to the gorgeous Italian girl working there who also seems to be an expert modder. woot :p

Actually i think you need something like THIS: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186&products_id=2680

which is kind of epxpensive i guess especially if you factor in shipping.

I'm currently salivating over the 512MB HIs car in overclockers UK, i;m wondering how much shipping will cost ( to greece..) , add to that an adapter...but more i'm wondering if my oldish 470W enermax PSU will be able to cope with the monster card... maybe if i take out 2 of the 6 cards i have in this machine...??

are you guys that order from the overcklockers.uk e-shop happywith service and responce ( and delivery time)? has anyone of you gotten a molex to PCI-E adaptor from them? i would hate to have to order one from a different shop...

on the other hand maybe i should wait till my local computer superstore brings it in a month or so:p have another chance to talk to the gorgeous Italian girl working there who also seems to be an expert modder. woot :p

Please see post #340. What chomped was referring to was once you get the PCI-E/Molex Adapter a number of users are complaining that they need to cut/trim the end of the PCI-E/Molex Adapter so it can fit the HIS card properly. Otherwise pins don't make adequate contact and either no video or reboots result.

Also what model PSU is your Enermax? It's not so much the watts, it's the amps on the +12v rail (s).

Please see post #340. What chomped was referring to was once you get the PCI-E/Molex Adapter a number of users are complaining that they need to cut/trim the end of the PCI-E/Molex Adapter so it can fit the HIS card properly. Otherwise pins don't make adequate contact and either no video or reboots result.

Also what model PSU is your Enermax? It's not so much the watts, it's the amps on the +12v rail (s).

yeah i read #340, thats why i wrote what i wrote :) ithought users had to trim the plug on the card ( a nono if i can avoid it..)
my PSU doesn't have PCI-E plug :)
so I'll need an adapter and since it is not in the HIS;s box (bad HIS!!) i was hopping overclocker UK will have one to ship me with. That way i;ll pay limited shipping i think and will have to track one order and not two ( not to mention feeling a jerk for paying 25 or so Euros for price+ shipping of a damned adaptor from another store...)

the PSU is an enermax EG465AX-VE(G) according to specs it has 33A in 12V line..
i made a post here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1141435&page=7. it SHOULD be ok.... i;m just worried because it;s 3,5 years old...

yeah i read #340, thats why i wrote what i wrote :) ithought users had to trim the plug on the card ( a nono if i can avoid it..)
my PSU doesn't have PCI-E plug :)
so I'll need an adapter and since it is not in the HIS;s box (bad HIS!!) i was hopping overclocker UK will have one to ship me with. That way i;ll pay limited shipping i think and will have to track one order and not two ( not to mention feeling a jerk for paying 25 or so Euros for price+ shipping of a damned adaptor from another store...)

the PSU is an enermax EG465AX-VE(G) according to specs it has 33A in 12V line..
i made a post here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1141435&page=7. it SHOULD be ok.... i;m just worried because it;s 3,5 years old...

I see what you mean :) , I just re-worded that post a bit. Regarding your PSU, I think you'll be fine. Enermax makes quality PSU's and I doubt your +12v rail has degraded that much in the last 3.5 years. As a matter of fact, I just recommended the EG465P-VE below on a different forum to someone who is looking for a low-cost PSU.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...023&SRCCODE=PRICEGRABBER&CMP=OTC-PRICEGRABBER

After realizing the overclockers card in listed in GBP not euros (thanks to honestjohn lol), and check with newegg again i have decided to buy from newegg once again. The newegg 512mb turbo is $299.99 and with only $6.13 shipping it would hardly save me any money. Plus with my experience of newegg being very flexible and prompt seals the deal.

I'm leaning towards overclockers.uk being on this side of the ocean :)
How long did it take you guys to receive the cards you ordered from them?

Back