Places to buy X1950pro AGP

well I run games at 1024X768 right now... but I would like to crank it up to 1280X1024 at least... I can't do that right now unless I turn off AA completely.

I am not sure a 4600+ would be that much better then what I have now... maybe a 4400+?

so i have a 485watt PSU.
my 12v rails are rated @ 18a each
but people are saying you need 22a each
to use the x1950pro agp card. :(

so i shouldn't bother with the upgrade then correct?
i dont want to buy another PSU since the one i have now is
barely 4mos old.

so i have a 485watt PSU.
my 12v rails are rated @ 18a each
but people are saying you need 22a each
to use the x1950pro agp card. :(

so i shouldn't bother with the upgrade then correct?
i dont want to buy another PSU since the one i have now is
barely 4mos old.

I used the Antec 450w PSU which is rated at 18a/rail and it had no issues, fyi go for the card it is well worth it!

alright, just what i wanted to hear.
i'm just not ready to upgrade my
entire system yet. this should hold
me over for another year.

i want one but would my rig bottleneck it?

athlon 64 3200+
1gb ddr400 ram
24a on 12v rail

i will most likely wait till
6450 comes out and upgrade to pcie and 7900gtx

In stock at the egg, a couple of days too late since I got it from allstarshop *also in stock*.

:D

Got my new Antec PSU with the three 19 amp 12v rails. I'll let ya'll know how that goes once I get home from work at 3AM. I'm sure it'll be fine.
It'd better be.:rolleyes:

The Sapphire X1950 Pro 512MB AGP just got back in stock at zipzoomfly, QUICK GET 'EM WHILE THEY're HOT!/available...

HERE!

did you guys get an extended warranty for your new gpu?

Newegg extended warrnaty goes for another year for $40-50. I'm debating whether or not it is worth it.

I'm running the Sapphire with 18A on the 12V rails using the splitter provided and sharing the power connector with another device (on a 350W PS). Voltage is rock-steady. I have 1 IDE drive, 2 DVD's and a various usb junk. If one is running a RAID array it may be a concern.

Breath_of_the_Dying: IANAL-AFAIK all Sapphire cards come with a 2 year warranty. But if you look at the forums it appears warranty RMA's can take a while (like even 4 weeks). Personally I would imagine alot of use insane people will be upgrading again around that time; and given that NewEgg has a 1 year "return for replacement" policy I'd say no.

Thank you very much. That 2 year warranty is awesome, and now I'm shifting more towards sapphire instead of HIS. HIS is expensive and not even out yet, so I'll find some info about their warranty policies.

My patience runs thin....

Long story short...the new PSU blew out.

I have to wonder if the "three +12V rails" are not, in fact, one for PCIe connector #1, one for PCIe connector #2, and one for everything else. Naturally, the Sapphire AGP X1950 Pro doesn't use PCIe power connectors and it probably overloaded a single rail. Awesome. :mad:

Then, ya know, just 'cause...one of my SATA cables had its connector break while I was moving PSUs around. Luckily I had a spare. A single spare.

Do I have a backlog of bad karma I'm working my way through, or something?:confused:

Anyway...

Has anyone seen a 1xPCIe power to 2x4-pin Molex adapter? That'd be the reverse of the usual. I'd *like* to power the card off the PCIe lines once my replacement PSU gets here.

Long story short...the new PSU blew out.

I have to wonder if the "three +12V rails" are not, in fact, one for PCIe connector #1, one for PCIe connector #2, and one for everything else. Naturally, the Sapphire AGP X1950 Pro doesn't use PCIe power connectors and it probably overloaded a single rail. Awesome. :mad:

Then, ya know, just 'cause...one of my SATA cables had its connector break while I was moving PSUs around. Luckily I had a spare. A single spare.

Do I have a backlog of bad karma I'm working my way through, or something?:confused:

Anyway...

Has anyone seen a 1xPCIe power to 2x4-pin Molex adapter? That'd be the reverse of the usual. I'd *like* to power the card off the PCIe lines once my replacement PSU gets here.

Damn, if you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any at all. Don't think what your saying about how the rails break down is correct. I would head over to the Power Supply Hardforum and ask JohnnyGuru. He is Mr.PSU and has a review site on PSUs. As far as the PCI-E to Molex, I don't think such a beast exists and can't be done. I think ....

http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

I'm running my X1950 Pro off of a PCP&C 510 ...
I have had zero problems with it.....
A solid PSU is your friend :)

Here's what I got from that website

http://coinmill.com/CAD_calculator.html
Used for currency changes, only looking at sapphire and HIS version

HIS 512 AGP 434.99 => 369.67 USD
HIS 256 AGP 364..99 => 310.18 USD
HIS 512 PCIE 329.99 => 280.44 USD
HIS 256 PCIE 279.99 => 237.95 USD

Sapphire 512 AGP 314.99 => 267.69

Compared to the new eggprices of ones that are out (USD)
Sapphire 512 AGP 249.99
HIS 512 PCIE 279.99
HIS 256 PCIE 219.99

That means that the newegg (compared to the canadian website) after currency exchange is.....
6.61% cheaper for the Sapphire 512
0.16% cheaper for the HIS 512 PCIE
7.54% cheaper for the HIS 256 PCIE

Using the max and min discounts, expect the price for the HIS to be
512 - $342.07 - $369.37
256 - $286.79 - $309.68

I would guess the 512 to be 349.99 and the 256 to be 289.99. Man, those are some pretty hefty costs for the AGP version of the X1950pro, even with the putting an aftermarket cooler on the sapphire, it'd be much cheaper than getting the HIS versions. These are only speculation prices, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I dont know, I've never done it.

I did find a really cool website that helps clear up the 512vs256 VRAM questions. It seems at higher resolutions, when VRAM is oversaturated, it will cache onto the system memore causing latency issues. For me, the HIS 512 at the price I'm expecting is out of the question, but after reading the following article, I'm leaning more towards the lower clocked sapphire at 512 than the higher clocked HIS 256.

http://forum.ncix.com/forums/displaylink.cfm?link=http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=33

Damn, if you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any at all. Don't think what your saying about how the rails break down is correct. I would head over to the Power Supply Hardforum and ask JohnnyGuru. He is Mr.PSU and has a review site on PSUs. As far as the PCI-E to Molex, I don't think such a beast exists and can't be done. I think ....

http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Well, I got the pin-out of the PCIe power connector and it looks like the three bottom pins (or two, depending on who you ask) are 12v and the three top are ground. I'm sure the card doesn't use the 5v leads on the standard 4-pin (red wire). I don't mod much, but I should be able to handle splicing that. I mean, if a converter turns two 4-pins into a single 6-pin PCIe, I see no reason it can't go the other way. Doing it without voiding the warranty is the trick.

Thanks for the info, though. I'll check out that area of the forums.

I joined the ranks of AGP x1950pro users!!!

After so much research I thought that the HIS 512 would be my best bet, but after the price of the 256 on new egg, it is not worth the wait and the extra money. I got so caught up in finding the best that I forgot I didn't need the best for now. I will be building a computer from scratch late 07/early 08 and that will be uber, this is to get me by until then. I couldn't justify another $90 to get the HIS version (thats ~2 games right there).

I newegged it with no extended warranty as the advice of people on this boards. It should come in early next week, so I'll post my benchmarks when I get them.

I joined the ranks of AGP x1950pro users!!!

After so much research I thought that the HIS 512 would be my best bet, but after the price of the 256 on new egg, it is not worth the wait and the extra money. I got so caught up in finding the best that I forgot I didn't need the best for now. I will be building a computer from scratch late 07/early 08 and that will be uber, this is to get me by until then. I couldn't justify another $90 to get the HIS version (thats ~2 games right there).

I newegged it with no extended warranty as the advice of people on this boards. It should come in early next week, so I'll post my benchmarks when I get them.

Congrats... please post some benchies and your setup. I'm interested in what this HIS can do. My Powercoler has me very happy :D

I'm sorry, I got so excited that I kind of made my post misleading

In the end I decided to stick with SAPPHIRE over HIS for 2 reasons

1) the 512 is cheaper than HIS 256
2) The 512 (which is what I need) is actually available

I dont have any good benchmarking programs, so I'll be running the games I do have (most are old)

NWN
FEAR
DOOM3
BFME
Fable
UT2k4
Oblivion
Rise of Legends
CoH

and I plan on enjoying NWN2 soon, hopefully the patches have made the game better from its inital launch

I'm sorry, I got so excited that I kind of made my post misleading

In the end I decided to stick with SAPPHIRE over HIS for 2 reasons

1) the 512 is cheaper than HIS 256
2) The 512 (which is what I need) is actually available

I dont have any good benchmarking programs, so I'll be running the games I do have (most are old)

NWN
FEAR
DOOM3
BFME
Fable
UT2k4
Oblivion
Rise of Legends
CoH

and I plan on enjoying NWN2 soon, hopefully the patches have made the game better from its inital launch

Well fore reference I get about 85FPS on UT2k4 w/ everything maxed in-game (No AA or the that other stuff) w/ my Sapphire.

sorry, i have no idea. but ocuk do ship abroad. i saw someone on their forums shipped over a gainward 7800gs+ to the usa. they have all sold out now but they were selling for well in excess of £250.... :eek:

you can contact the shop with a pre-order enquiry here....

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/webnote.php

:)

Just did that. Thanks. They only have 10 so snoozing may lead to losing. On the fence at the moment. Without the VAT, tthat's a nice price.

I live in the USA so the price may be nice but I think that would be offset by the extra I pay in shipping.

I live in the USA so the price may be nice but I think that would be offset by the extra I pay in shipping.

Well, if you look at what NewEgg is charging for the HIS X1950 Pro 256MB version, $289+Shipping, it's not that bad. Called Overclockers UK and the cost of the 512MB card is $274 + $29 (for 4 day shipping) = $303.

PS - I was considering slapping a $37 - Zalman VF-900 on my Sapphire for better cooling (although the card was working fine as it was). Instead, I sold the Sapphire on EBay for $275 and the HIS Card will only cost me $28 more. Plus I don't have to void my Warranty or with my luck, which is usually bad, ruin the Sapphire while switching Coolers.

Just a helpful hint, If you're from the US, and interested, you should call them direct to order. This way they'll remove the VAT (tax) over the phone rather than issuing a credit later as they would have to do with an Internet Order.

heh, you're on mission to have owned every x1950pro agp card in existence. you're doing well so far. :p

and i've just seen a post by the guy in charge of pucrhasing @ ocuk. he says they definitely have enough cards to last the whole week at sale prices. :)

edit: just to add, a few people with HIS cards already are having a few problems attaching pci-e cables to them. apparently the connections are dodgy and people are having to file down the plastic to get them to fit. see here....

edit2: removed links. i think the problem is not the cards at all but rather people using molex-pcie connectors. people with native pci-e power connectors on their psus aren't having any problems. :)

sorry for the confusion. :p

heh, you're on mission to have owned every x1950pro agp card in existence. you're doing well so far. :p

and i've just seen a post by the guy in charge of pucrhasing @ ocuk. he says they definitely have enough cards to last the whole week at sale prices. :)

edit: just to add, a few people with HIS cards already are having a few problems attaching pci-e cables to them. apparently the connections are dodgy and people are having to file down the plastic to get them to fit. see here....

edit2: removed links. i think the problem is not the cards at all but rather people using molex-pcie connectors. people with native pci-e power connectors on their psus aren't having any problems. :)

sorry for the confusion. :p

Yeah, thanks. I saw that too. I have 2 PCI-E connectors so I should be good and now that you mention it, that's another thing I liked about the HIS Card. I can now pull another cable (Molex) from by box that I don't need anymore.

The HIS is sweet, but a little too much for the extra heatsink (512MB version). I'll just crank my Sapphire up 100% or installed the VF900 on my own. :D

The HIS is sweet, but a little too much for the extra heatsink (512MB version). I'll just crank my Sapphire up 100% or installed the VF900 on my own. :D

Not in my case. The HIS Card was actually cheaper than putting on the Zalman, which is one of the reasons I did it.

Here is a single 6-pin PCI-E power to single 4-pin Molex adapter:

PCI Express to Molex Adapter Cable - Sleeved:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186&products_id=21141

If you're running off of a PSU with a single PCI-E power lead you could use one of these with a single to dual Molex splitter...Just a thought... ;)

I'm going to use two of these with the "Booster" PSU that I've ordered...

FSP Group (Fortron Source) BoosterX 3, 300W ( Max. 400W ) SLI Graphic Power Supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104019

It has two PCI-E connectors that I'll convert to two Molex for my Sapphire X1950PRO 512MB AGP...

Shouldn't have ANY low amperage problem with this thing... :p

PS:
honestjohn...,
What you going to do when the X1950XT's and/or XTX's come out...? :eek: :p

Edit:
On the other hand, considering the price of those adapters (YIKES...!!!) I may just cut and splice myself... :p

Any word on when the HIS 512 version will be hitting the US? I'm thinking of ordering one from the UK and returning my Diamond to Amazon.

Back