Places to buy X1950pro AGP

Geo Fry

Limp Gawd
I figured since I'm so excited about this card coming out I'd start an organized thread of where to find/purchase this card. As of now there is only one place I know of that allows you to order it... and actually you can have it today if a Best Buy near you has it in stock! A Best Buy 5 minutes away from me has a few. So please, as you guys find more places, let me know and I will update this post.

NOTE: Only list places that will ship to North America

LONG LIVE AGP :p

256 MB

Diamond - ZipZoomFly (Free Shipping)

Powercolor - Newegg

Powercolor - Mwave

Powercolor - Directron

HIS - Newegg

VisionTek - Best Buy (If you live near a Best Buy then you might be able to go and just pick one up and have it today!)

512 MB

Sapphire - ExcaliberPC

Sapphire - Allstarshop

Sapphire - ZipZoomFly (Free Shipping)

Sapphire - Newegg

Sapphire - AztekComputers

Diamond - Newegg

I don't like that price. Hmm...Spend $300 on AGP or spend $700 on a brand new upgrade to pci-e and a core duo. Decisions, decisions

I have to replace everything if I go to PCI-E, so when I priced it out I was looking at more around 1200 bucks for what I want. Still, 300 may be too high for this for me. I was hoping for close in line to what the PCI-E version is going for.

Darkstar850 said:
I have to replace everything if I go to PCI-E, so when I priced it out I was looking at more around 1200 bucks for what I want. Still, 300 may be too high for this for me. I was hoping for close in line to what the PCI-E version is going for.
I seriously think it's a little too early to make that call ;). This is Best Buy's pre-order price. My guess is that when more e-tailers have it available it will be closer to $250. Give it a week or 2

Geo Fry said:
I seriously think it's a little too early to make that call ;). This is Best Buy's pre-order price. My guess is that when more e-tailers have it available it will be closer to $250. Give it a week or 2

Agreed...! :)

Once places like Newegg start selling them the price will fall... ;)

I just hope it's not like the X700XT and pulls a vanishing act. Have there even been any hands-on reviews out there yet? I'd love to see it benched against my 6800GT, see if I can get one more boost (and HQ AF) before the Big Upgrade...

i agree, i love my agp machine

if i upgrade to a pci-e machine, i need to buy new mb, new 2 stick ram, new cpu, new video card, new psu

those add up.

700 dollars upgrade... maybe a half ass pci-e machine.

Ch28Kid said:
i agree, i love my agp machine

if i upgrade to a pci-e machine, i need to buy new mb, new 2 stick ram, new cpu, new video card, new psu

those add up.

700 dollars upgrade... maybe a half ass pci-e machine.

So how much extra dough are you still going to be throwing into your AGP machine? Just do what I did and keep your agp machine "running" but buy a new part for the PCI-E machine whenever you have the extra $$$....And in no time at all you'll have all your parts. Took me a few months but damn Im glad I switched over.

Cowboy420 said:
So how much extra dough are you still going to be throwing into your AGP machine? Just do what I did and keep your agp machine "running" but buy a new part for the PCI-E machine whenever you have the extra $$$....And in no time at all you'll have all your parts. Took me a few months but damn Im glad I switched over.
That's not a bad idea, but instead of actually buying the parts gradually, I would gradually put aside the money the parts would have cost. Then after a few months, you buy it all at once so that none of your parts are outdated and you got the best deal.

This is a tuff decision, upgrading the AGP video card one more time with a 1950 Pro would extend the life of the machine for another year. To get your money out of it you will need to remain committed to the machine for that time. With DX10 coming with Vista will some game like Alan Wake change your mind. For the eye candy we will need quad core and DX10 video cards. That 1950 Pro AGP card will be running on your second machine. Now if you have the cash that would give you an extension of your current machine and make if a very useful second machine in the second half of 2007.

Deathspine said:
This is a tuff decision, upgrading the AGP video card one more time with a 1950 Pro would extend the life of the machine for another year. To get your money out of it you will need to remain committed to the machine for that time. With DX10 coming with Vista will some game like Alan Wake change your mind. For the eye candy we will need quad core and DX10 video cards. That 1950 Pro AGP card will be running on your second machine. Now if you have the cash that would give you an extension of your current machine and make if a very useful second machine in the second half of 2007.
I considered that, as well, and it's probably relevant for many people. An X1950 Pro would probably last me a good two years at the settings I play at, yet I won't be able to upgrade my 1 GB of DDR1 RAM or S754 A64 3000+ when they no longer cut the mustard, so the card would be pretty much wasted. Better to pick up a throwaway PCI-E S754 mobo and upgrade the RAM and proc to C2D when needed. It's better to be stuck with a useless $45 motherboard than a $300 video card.

Then again, if AGP X1950 Pros pull a disappearing act like the other good AGP cards, a person might be able to sell one for close to full value after a year. Decisions, decisions.

arthur_tuxedo said:
I considered that, as well, and it's probably relevant for many people. An X1950 Pro would probably last me a good two years at the settings I play at, yet I won't be able to upgrade my 1 GB of DDR1 RAM or S754 A64 3000+ when they no longer cut the mustard, so the card would be pretty much wasted. Better to pick up a throwaway PCI-E S754 mobo and upgrade the RAM and proc to C2D when needed. It's better to be stuck with a useless $45 motherboard than a $300 video card.

Then again, if AGP X1950 Pros pull a disappearing act like the other good AGP cards, a person might be able to sell one for close to full value after a year. Decisions, decisions.

Totally agree, x1950 Pro would last 2 years or so. I haven't upgrade my video card for 4 years already. I think its actually worth the minor upgrade to keep this lovely AGP machine running.

I was going to spend 3k on a brand new desktop, but instead I spend 3k on a Sony SZ360 (Core2 2.0Ghz, 7400 Go, 2GB).

Core 2 is fast, but P4C is not that slow. All I need a better graphics card to play the games in decent setting. I'm not a hardcore gamer and I have no plans to buy Alan Wake, Cyris (sorry if I got the name wrong).

I can't WAIT for the 512mb card, someone needs to hurry up and sell them :D

ZZF now has the Sapphire X1950 PRO AGP 512MB Version listed for Backorder at ...

$249 w/FREE SHIPPING..! :cool:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=326860

326860_A.jpg

326860_B.jpg

326860_C.jpg

326860_D.jpg

:D :D

wizzard0003

\\//_

Edit:
Don't know if this is a typo but, the spec's on ZZF say's it only has 8 Pixel Pipelines...?

I believe the 256MB claims 12... :confused:

That's a sharp lookin' card, and the price is right.

Can't wait to see these things thoroughly benched, and against a mix of AGP and PCI-E cards, including the PCI-E X1950pro.

I'm goiing to put this under the 256MB section because not only does the box say 256MB but Sapphire's site only shows that they make a 256MB version

Geo Fry said:
I'm goiing to put this under the 256MB section because not only does the box say 256MB but Sapphire's site only shows that they make a 256MB version

It IS a 512MB card after all...

http://amd.vendors.slashdot.org/vendor_amd/06/12/01/0553208.shtml

If you check on the Sapphire site it is now mentioned in the latest press release that can be downloaded... ;)

http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/media/pressview.php?pid=71

(Click on the link titled "Read full Press Release"... ;) )

wizzard0003

\\//_

Geo Fry said:
Awesome thanks for that!! In that case the 512MB from Sapphire seems to be a much better deal ATM.

The key phrase here is "ATM"... ;)

I have a feeling there are going to be a whole heck of a lot of deals showing up out there real soon... :p :p :p

wizzard0003

\\//_

It's a good thing video cards mount with the heatsink facing down because the pic on that Sapphire heatsink is just "damn". They should have left it blank.

Geo Fry said:
A few Best Buy's have them in stock at their stores and you can go pick them up today if you want. Just check availability near you

And my Best Buy has one more in stock today, because I just returned the one I bought on 11/29 and I'm getting in line for the Sapphire. It's $50 less and twice the GDDR3 and clocked a hair higher.

Also noticed another design difference between Visiontek's Card and Sapphire's. My Visiontek had a PCI-E Power Connector on the card and came with a Y cable Molex adapter which required only 1 Molex connection for pwer. This Sapphire needs 2 Molex Connectors.

Advil said:
It's a good thing video cards mount with the heatsink facing down because the pic on that Sapphire heatsink is just "damn". They should have left it blank.
I agree. Alot of Sapphire's "characters" are ugly, I have no idea why they would draw up something like that and want to put it on their cards.

I like my BFG 6800GS AGP's green and white/grey color scheme, kthx.

Do you think there would be at least a marginal fps increase in games like CSS with upgrading this card over a BFG 6800GT and a s754 3700+ @ 2.4Ghz??!?! (Specs in my sig)

Please do a search for 1950 AGP this card the visiontek version has had benchmarks performed on it in 05 and 06.

Scores range from 7.7 - 8.3k in 05 and 4.1-4.3 in 06

I can say this in Oblivion and NWN2 I'm getting 10-15fps more with more eye candy turned on.. IE 6xAA... And that is over the 7800GS SOC at 480/1400.

The 512 version should be a real monster for higher resolutions (I'm waiting for either Powercolor or Diamond's version) as I like their massive cooling.

Sunin said:
Please do a search for 1950 AGP this card the visiontek version has had benchmarks performed on it in 05 and 06.

Scores range from 7.7 - 8.3k in 05 and 4.1-4.3 in 06

I can say this in Oblivion and NWN2 I'm getting 10-15fps more with more eye candy turned on.. IE 6xAA... And that is over the 7800GS SOC at 480/1400.

The 512 version should be a real monster for higher resolutions (I'm waiting for either Powercolor or Diamond's version) as I like their massive cooling.

Unless you've got AGP 4x... you'll still see a significant performance boost, but you will be limited. This is what I've surmised from my benchmarks and comparisons (5800 3dmark05 score & 3900 3dmark06 score).

By chance, anyone else here have an older AGP chipset motherboard like mine that only accepts AGP 4X?

Though it does run faster than my 7600GT (and I can do it with practically free AA) I don't think it is worth the $150 or so cost difference it will cost me to replace it. Fortunately I still have about 3 weeks to make my decision. Best Buy has a 30 day no restock return policy.

honestjohn said:
Make sure you guys have a power supply that can handle the card. The Guys over on the Sapphire Forum are saying my Antec NeoPower 480w can't. Haven't had a single issue with my Power Supply since buying it a 1 1/2 years ago. Dual Rail with 18a@+12v on each. I'm being told I need at least 20-22a. On the fence right now on what to do.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/forums/showthread.php?t=9124&page=1&pp=10

450Watt Rosewell (sp?) 24a @ +12v here. no problems.

Tzzird said:
450Watt Rosewell (sp?) 24a @ +12v here. no problems.

That was dual rail Power Supply I was referring to 20-22a on each, 30a-32a combined. So, if you have a standard power supply you should have 30a on a single rail. Don't know if it's true, this is just what they're saying over on Sapphires forum.
I was running my Visiontek X1950 Pro AGP with my 480w Antec Neopower without issue as well for 5 days. They had suggested we may see problems in the future. Like I said though, I don't know. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I'm considering picking up the Enermax Liberty 500w Dual +12V with 22a on each for total of 30a. Excellent Unit which could go with a new PCI-E board in the furture. Probably not good enough for Crossfire, but for me I don't think that's happening.

Tzzird said:
Unless you've got AGP 4x... you'll still see a significant performance boost, but you will be limited. This is what I've surmised from my benchmarks and comparisons (5800 3dmark05 score & 3900 3dmark06 score).

By chance, anyone else here have an older AGP chipset motherboard like mine that only accepts AGP 4X?

Though it does run faster than my 7600GT (and I can do it with practically free AA) I don't think it is worth the $150 or so cost difference it will cost me to replace it. Fortunately I still have about 3 weeks to make my decision. Best Buy has a 30 day no restock return policy.

Even with 8x AGP your still going to be limited... Instead of the AGP opening it becomes the CPU. A 10% OC on the CPU should not net a 5% increase in benchmarks like I experienced.

honestjohn said:
Make sure you guys have a power supply that can handle the card. The Guys over on the Sapphire Forum are saying my Antec NeoPower 480w can't. Haven't had a single issue with my Power Supply since buying it a 1 1/2 years ago. Dual Rail with 18a@+12v on each. I'm being told I need at least 20-22a. On the fence right now on what to do.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/forums/showthread.php?t=9124&page=1&pp=10

Just to give an idea for everyone of what this card is like, here is a review of the 512MB PowerColor PCI-E version that will give an Idea of what we can expect from this card...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/386/1/

On page 3 they talk about power consumption...

One thing is certain (in my eyes anyway), if there are any limits running this card in AGP, it will be the system it's installed on holding it back... NOT the Graphics Gard...

Whatever your particular AGP SYSTEM can handle, this card will give you...

JMHO... :)

wizzard0003

\\//_

wizzard0003 said:
Whatever your particular AGP SYSTEM can handle, this card will give you...

JMHO... :)

wizzard0003

\\//_

Hey Wizzard. Nice to see you around these parts and maybe you can explain to me what you mean by the above? I'm feeling kind of dense at the moment. Saw you posted the same thing over at Abit. Are you saying the power requirement thing I've been hearing about over on Sapphires Forum is untrue? Or are you saying my Power Supply should be fine?? Or are you asking what's your frequency Kenneth? My brain hurts.

219 at full load is not horrible and is something my 500W Antec should be able to power. I have the Visiontek and have had no issues with power. With everything at stock clocks the system is 100% stable. When you tweak things get a little unstable. The slow process of finding the edge of stability starts next week!

anyone else find it strange that Best Buy would have these cards in stock at the local stores long before any other online retailer?

dej166 said:
anyone else find it strange that Best Buy would have these cards in stock at the local stores long before any other online retailer?

Yes!!! Very... I consider Best Buy an overpriced provider for computer hardware and someone that I shop for such at a last resort... I was getting desperate for this updated AGP card and thus jumped on it...

I also knew i'd being buying 2 eventually and my 2nd one will be from Newegg or some other respected, competitive provider.

honestjohn said:
can explain to me what you mean by the above?

Simply saying that this card will give you everything that your Particular system is capable of giving... If there is any bottleneck, it won't be this Grapics Card causing it but the system that it is intalled in.., ie; This card will let you get the MOST out of whatever it is you've got... ;)

honestjohn said:
Are you saying the power requirement thing I've been hearing about over on Sapphires Forum is untrue? Or are you saying my Power Supply should be fine?? Or are you asking what's your frequency Kenneth? My brain hurts.

I just posted that to show what one particular review site found about power requirements using an instrument to actually "Monitor" what their entire TEST SYSTEM was using...

Power supply output/perfrmance varies greatly and the claimed outputs are just that..., Claimed. A "Good Quality" PSU with Acurate Amperage in the 18-20 amps per +12V rail (multi-rail) or 24 amps on a single +12V rail should be sufficient...

Then again "Your Milage May Vary"... It all depends on what the rest of your system is drawing and, again, how Acurate the claimed outputs are. I antisipate that my Fortron with 18 amps/rail x 2 "should" be sufficient as these are Quality PSU's and are considered to actually be underated but, until I get and install the card, I won't really know for sure... :confused:

We shall see... :p

wizzard0003

\\//_

Just saw this in a post on Rage3D.......

Just got off the phone with ZZF re an RMA matter. I asked about the sapphire card spec and ETA. According to the guy I was speaking with (he called the "buyer" the eta is 12/15 and the card is in fact 256mb not 512mb at 249.00. The "buyer" indcated this and said the webpage would be changed shortly.

Back