Place your bets on Vega

How good will fastest Vega be on "Game Play" as per [H] Review.

• Better than 1080Ti

Votes: 30 8.2%
  • Same as 1080Ti

Votes: 28 7.7%
  • Better than 1080

Votes: 126 34.6%
  • Same as 1080

Votes: 97 26.6%
  • Better than 1070

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • Same as 1070

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • Complete piece of shit!

Votes: 29 8.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be between 1070 and 1080 for $400. Going to pull a little more power then a 1080 TI.

I voted for same as 1080Ti. Even if the vanilla Vega comes nowhere close to that, AMD will probably have some mandatory-water-cooled massively overclocked behemoth (that isn't practical for 99.99% of consumers, so hardly anyone will buy one) just to claim that they are at least competing...carbon copy situation of the 295X2 and Fury X.

Although, I do hope that a watercooled model isn't even needed and Vega is an ass kicker in regards to performance, low power draw, and low heat output. My fingers are crossed, but I'm not going to hold my breath...

Anyone expecting 1080ti seems like a delusional fanboy to me. It's sad they prioritized CPU over GPU for so long when they already had a big player in the market when they acquired ATI.

Anyone expecting 1080ti seems like a delusional fanboy to me. It's sad they prioritized CPU over GPU for so long when they already had a big player in the market when they acquired ATI.

I dont know about that, we dont know very much about it so anyone guess could be right. I picked greater then a 1080ti only cause Nvidia went out of their way to mention Volta was coming soon. As a corporation you almost never want to remind people that something better is coming soon unless your competition is about to release something better then your current product. Now it's merely speculation based on a a statement that may have just been a coincidence but it's better then just pulling something out of thin air. last time we saw a low clocked product and people were saying it wouldn't do well, we got Ryzen and it turned out much better then we thought, perhaps AMD can pull it off twice. Hopefully will know soon how well it performs.

do we even have an idea for an announcement? FFS getting tired of waiting.

If Vega is to be ever going to be called technological success, it must be, at the very least, 1080 level. If it is just between 1070 and 1080, it will merely be ~15% better than their old Fury X, so that means a uarch AND a node change yielded less improvement by % than Maxwell's uarch change only. The only thing that gpu can possibly do is compete against 1070 and 1080 by price, 1080ti will be completely unreachable. Also, they might as well just reuse the Fury X cards, re-design it so that it uses GDDR5x 8GB VRAM and stick to 28nm core if that really does happen.

So I am expecting, at least, on par with 1080, with added "hopefully on par with 1080ti" and "ideally better than 1080ti". And also, none of the "work better in DX12 than DX11" crap unless it can chew up any and all non-DX12 games.

I dont know about that, we dont know very much about it so anyone guess could be right. I picked greater then a 1080ti only cause Nvidia went out of their way to mention Volta was coming soon. As a corporation you almost never want to remind people that something better is coming soon unless your competition is about to release something better then your current product. Now it's merely speculation based on a a statement that may have just been a coincidence but it's better then just pulling something out of thin air. last time we saw a low clocked product and people were saying it wouldn't do well, we got Ryzen and it turned out much better then we thought, perhaps AMD can pull it off twice. Hopefully will know soon how well it performs.

LoL.. AMD doesn't exist in the nvidia's world anymore man, for nvidia AMD maybe just like a little smell of a fart that dissappear slowly in their room. They have already proven they don't need any stupid AMD competition to release great products, they needed ever to release the 1080ti so early without competition? Nope, they needed the Titan Xp? Nope.. the only competition to nvidia is their own..

They as company need to keep investors happy, they need to keep the cash flowing, they know if they release a new GPU people will be rushing to buy one, even if they have or doesn't have competition, releasing Volta soon will just mean that they don't care about what AMD can offer to the market.

just imagine best case scenario, "amd launched vega and compete with 1080 and 1080TI.." just at the time nvidia is about to release Volta and voila all what amd will receive it's a public shame to fall in the irrelevant territory again.. "oh yeah they released a 1080 competitor one year later.. great competition now the 1080 and 1080ti are irrelevant because Volta, can you see it?.. people will be selling their 1080, 1080ti and titans everywhere to buy volta while vega receive no love.. and that's how you keep investors happy as you keep receiving tons of money and cash flowing...

my 390 is holding up just fine @ 2560x1080@75hz Freesync, But i wouldnt mind upgrading.

It will be a 1080 level card.

I want it to beat the 1080Ti, I want it to destroy Nvidia. I want it to f*** Nvidia's wife to bring her to an earth-shattering orgasm and leave her wet-faced without a towel while Nvidia watches, and I want it to kick Nvidia's dog on the way out.

But it won't. This is AMD we're talking about.

I don't have high hopes for Vega, if it has the performance of the 1080 I would be very disappointed because the 1080 has been out for nearly a year and if this is the best AMD can do, they are screwed, not to mention they are already a year late. But if this card can beat or perform on 1080Ti or Xp levels, then I will be impressed, but not to much.

Depends if it will come as a dual GPU solution or not and whether how "politically correct" you think it is comparing a single vs dual gpu. If single GPU I think just above, 5~15% or so, faster than GTX 1080 priced at $499. As a dual GPU I think above 1080 Ti performance is plausible but ofc at a monstrous power draw.

In this poll I voted as a single gpu, "better than gtx 1080" with the idea of 5% or better avg result performance to count as "better than".

Last edited:
It will be the faster than the Geforce GTX 1080, but slower then the Geforce GTX 1080 Ti.

The people who buy the Geforce GTX 1080 Ti anyway will say that they need to pay $200 extra so they can get the extra 10 FPS.

If you question their decisions, they will call you "a poor peasant".

Turns out, people who buy budget-oriented GPUs don't upgrade their GPUs very often. Shocker.

There is no way, amd can make a card to match an nvidia card. they havent been able to do it yet, and they still wont be able to do it. under the miracle they they do, there is still the crappy amd drivers that offer NO options what so ever to turn anything on or off in the drivers which still makes it crap.

It will be a 1080 level card.

I want it to beat the 1080Ti, I want it to destroy Nvidia. I want it to f*** Nvidia's wife to bring her to an earth-shattering orgasm and leave her wet-faced without a towel while Nvidia watches, and I want it to kick Nvidia's dog on the way out.

But it won't. This is AMD we're talking about.

I do enjoy poetry.

Turns out, people who buy budget-oriented GPUs don't upgrade their GPUs very often. Shocker.

i mean i went 8 years on an 8800GT while 6 of those years i was running 2 8800GT's until nvidia dropped driver support for them.. so yeah i tend to run things til they die since i couldn't afford to upgrade when ever i wanted but by the time i could i realized i really don't play any newer graphically demanding games anymore. so i just continued to run the last one i had til it started showing problems.

as far as vega goes i'm sorta on the fence, i think they'll probably get gtx 1080 performance but it'll be interesting to see what they sacrifice to get to that performance.

There is no way, amd can make a card to match an nvidia card. they havent been able to do it yet, and they still wont be able to do it. under the miracle they they do, there is still the crappy amd drivers that offer NO options what so ever to turn anything on or off in the drivers which still makes it crap.
290X beat the Titan, the 7970 before that was the undisputed King. Only the last generation did AMD fall a bit behind and now with late delivery. But all in all your statement is ripe with crap and quite delusional.

It will be a pig that consumes a lot of power but somewhat matches 1080 (e.g. as fast/faster in dx12) with a price that slightly undercuts NVIDIA until they respond with their own price cut. I also predict that unless Zen generates a TON of cash for AMD, this may be the last competitive high end GPU from RTG/AMD unless someone buys them out or infuses them with a lot of money. They are a YEAR late, that is an eternity in the GPU business and now Volta will almost certainly show up at the end of this year, it just doesn't look good for AMD at all.

Who knows, maybe Microsoft will get smart and buy out RTG and keep it for themselves for future XBOX releases, that would certainly screw Sony over completely.

Never seen AMD beat Nvidia ...... so why would they now?

And before someone mentions ONE obscure old model from 7 or whatever years ago, save your breath. I'm talking ... the majority of time here.

Same with CPU's.

There's nothing wrong with 2nd place.

It's 3rd place ( like Microsoft ) that you have to worry about. LOL

I've got to laugh at how 50% of those voting think that Vega performance will have gone backwards as AMD have finished the product over the last few months from that shown at CES(?).

Get lost Troll,

And try an AMD card and recent drivers before you come in disparaging. As a 15 year straight Nvidia user I switched to AMD about two years ago because they introduced PLP hardware support first - something Nvidia still doesn't support. All subsequent AMD cards have supported PLP.

I effectively notice little to no difference in driver quality. I was initially concerned with the red team because of posts like yours, but I've seen just a few small issues with AMD drivers in the last two years. Nvidia has their driver issues as well. Very little difference.

Last edited:

You make some interesting points.

I counter with this

If Vega were truly disruptive we'd see more official benchmarks parade candy tossed out and unofficial "leaks" if you will. We are a month or two before launch. The relative silence by AMD is deafening IMO. And how would Nvidia know anymore than we would about real world performance.

1: I voted 'same as 1080'.
2: It won't OC as well
3: It'll win outright in 1/3rd of games, tie in 1/3rd, and lose outright in 1/3rd
4: $400-450... this one I'm LEAST sure of.

LoL.. AMD doesn't exist in the nvidia's world anymore man, for nvidia AMD maybe just like a little smell of a fart that dissappear slowly in their room. They have already proven they don't need any stupid AMD competition to release great products, they needed ever to release the 1080ti so early without competition? Nope, they needed the Titan Xp? Nope.. the only competition to nvidia is their own..

They as company need to keep investors happy, they need to keep the cash flowing, they know if they release a new GPU people will be rushing to buy one, even if they have or doesn't have competition, releasing Volta soon will just mean that they don't care about what AMD can offer to the market.

just imagine best case scenario, "amd launched vega and compete with 1080 and 1080TI.." just at the time nvidia is about to release Volta and voila all what amd will receive it's a public shame to fall in the irrelevant territory again.. "oh yeah they released a 1080 competitor one year later.. great competition now the 1080 and 1080ti are irrelevant because Volta, can you see it?.. people will be selling their 1080, 1080ti and titans everywhere to buy volta while vega receive no love.. and that's how you keep investors happy as you keep receiving tons of money and cash flowing...
It is the same with their CPU wide. Took them 5 years to bring out a product to match Intel and still fell kinda short. They can only compete on price. I see the same thing happening with Vega. They are spread too thin with their R&D budget.

I counter with this

If Vega were truly disruptive we'd see more official benchmarks parade candy tossed out and unofficial "leaks" if you will. We are a month or two before launch. The relative silence by AMD is deafening IMO. And how would Nvidia know anymore than we would about real world performance.

Well if we're going to play at that sort of speculation...

1. I'd expect the leaks to start about now... 3 weeks out from a launch.

2. The best at deafening silence of late has been nVidia ...slipping out their full fat GP102 biggest bestest gpu to absolutely no fanfare whatsoever. For a gpu like, the flagship skuthe least that you'd expect Huang on a stage somewhere in the world showing off his latest set of leathers waving a gpu over his head..... didnt happen.

3. Industrial espionage ....sounds like a drama but usually just consists of a bribe here or there.... people talk/boast/rant idiscretely all the time

I think it'll fall out just a tad bit over 1080 speeds.

It'll lose to 1080 in a few benchmarks, but it'll be faster than 1080 in most benchmarks. In some optimized vulcan or dx12 games it'll approach 1080ti at 4k, but it'll be a closer competitor to the 1080 overall.

It'll be $600 MSRP for the 8 GB version.

Wow! What's next? AMD stock goes to $1, as none of its VEGA GPUs sell?

I like to point that amd cards may not be so great at launch, but unlike nvidia they get better with age. my 5870 lasted for eons, my 7970s still work fantastic, 290x solid, etc.

I'm tired of this silly argument. Maybe AMD products seem to last longer simply because AMD progress so much more slowly? The cards you mentioned still look good today because AMD's top end is currently Nvidia's midrange! :p

I voted the same as the GTX1080 when factoring in the pros and cons right now. Oh a year from now it will be faster but Nvidia will most likely have the Volta out and a GTX1080TI will probably still be a bit faster and be reduced in price.

AMD really needs a high end card to be viable in the gaming PC market. I would love to replace my 2 RX480s in CF with a single AMD card that equals them. I can clearly do that with the GTX1080.

I counter with this

Once things go to manufacturing and at this point they have been the competition will know the specs and how well it performs. This is due to the fact so many hands are involved that information will start to get back to them. Just like we tend to have a idea just before launch as so many hands are involved that we start seeing leaks. In the automotive business this happens all the time, I know about GM tech a year before they even announce it despite the fact that I am working for Chrysler. Anyway thats where my thoughts come from, but one thing we never did was want to mention future products while the current one is out, cause sales would crash for that product as people are willing to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back