Place your bets on Vega

How good will fastest Vega be on "Game Play" as per [H] Review.

• Better than 1080Ti

Votes: 30 8.2%
  • Same as 1080Ti

Votes: 28 7.7%
  • Better than 1080

Votes: 126 34.6%
  • Same as 1080

Votes: 97 26.6%
  • Better than 1070

Votes: 42 11.5%
  • Same as 1070

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • Complete piece of shit!

Votes: 29 8.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they dont pimp out as best card for whatever at X price point, while the RX 400/500 have been impressive to me(Ryzen awesome as well IMO though hyped slightly more than should have been though thankfully said hype bore far more fruit than with Bulldozer "8" core BS lol) seeing as I am an adamant non Nvidia user/purchaser for many reasons, I am also not fond of when something is touted as being priced at X MSRP/SEP and yet 99% of time never ends up this way on any but press samples or outright junk cooled designs, hell even the one whatever thing I seen Lisa Su do said herself "first VR 8gb card at under $200 price point"..That grinds my gears (TM)

I am hoping they nail the 1080Ti level, likely will once overclocked (might be they left the best of current GCN design for VEGA) but realisticly, will probably be between 1080 and 1080Ti level, price is very hard to say, would be sick if was priced slightly above 1060 but below 1070 competing with 1080/1080Ti.

Suppose just depends on production costs, what various partners will end up overcharging for as usual..I hope they have fancy whatever in it to ensure will use X power maximum, like the 7000 series, when rated at X TDP, that tended to be the maximum power it used as well (usually only hit when overclocked especially 7800 or below, about that when 7900) unlike RX 400/500 which tend more oft than not to use more then rating which confused/pissed off many users and media alike "Card is rated X TDP so why is it using X power" FFS TDP is not power it is cooling capacity needed to dissipate, guess it is hard to understand this lol.

Cannot wait to see what it brings, likely I will not be buying as $ is not available, am pretty sure my old Phenom II 955 will not be able to drive it like it deserves to be, which means new top to bottom, which means even more $, so its going to take awhile.
Seasoni G 650w coming in today
Fractal Design Define C coming in (almost out of stock everywhere, 4 failed orders)
now comes the ram/motherboard/cpu/cooler/2k monitor and maybe a new SSD "master" if the price is right, so I can keep the Crucial MX that I have as a secondary..really really not like having to go for the Win10 POS route, but, am used to windows, and win7 though <3 it, will be incompatible for "modern" cpu, more so if have to wait till Zen2 next year.

I voted better for 1080, and I mean that accounting for the oc headroom on the 1080s so roughly ~2050 mhz range. It should definitely outperform the 1080 by ~20% based on paper specs, but I expect much of that throughput will not translate into effective performance in the average game, barring some outliers. Basically I'm saying it's the Fury X again

I'm guessing 2022 release date, and no faster than an RX 580.

It's about COST REDUCTION FOLKS, not PUSHING PERFORMANCE :D Did I mention Vega 10 will sell for $100?

I'm guessing 2022 release date, and no faster than an RX 580.

It's about COST REDUCTION FOLKS, not PUSHING PERFORMANCE :D Did I mention Vega 10 will sell for $100?

$100????? Wow that is going to be amazing performance per dollar for the masses! :cautious:

1080. It could be a little more or less depending on the game, but it will be in this ballpark.

Everything says it has about double the execution units as the RX480. That points to approx 1080 performance.

I know we are all having a good laugh at RTG expense right now, but really, it would suck if Vega was a dud. NV would not be pushed to innovate, could put less money into R&D, and start charging us whatever they wanted if they really were a full gen ahead of AMD. I have been an NV owner for the last 2 gens, but I would really love to see RTG pull a Trump level surprise win here..

I know we are all having a good laugh at RTG expense right now, but really, it would suck if Vega was a dud. NV would not be pushed to innovate, could put less money into R&D, and start charging us whatever they wanted if they really were a full gen ahead of AMD. I have been an NV owner for the last 2 gens, but I would really love to see RTG pull a Trump level surprise win here..

Nvidia is and has been a full generation ahead of AMD. By the time Vega is in full swing we'll start seeing trickles of Volta. Besides even without Volta Nvidia should have them beat.

Nvidia is and has been a full generation ahead of AMD. By the time Vega is in full swing we'll start seeing trickles of Volta. Besides even without Volta Nvidia should have them beat.
Yeah true, but I mean Vega tanking would be more of a 'nail in the coffin' type thing..
I miss the old days when they were neck and neck..

Yeah true, but I mean Vega tanking would be more of a 'nail in the coffin' type thing..
I miss the old days when they were neck and neck..

I honestly couldn't care less as AMD hasn't factored into my gpu buying decisions in years.

While it'd be nice for RTG to fully catch up (wow, that sounds so much better than AMD. AMD is and forever in my mind will be the maker of the golden Athlon Thunderbird 1400 AYHJA Y stepping CPU I had all those years ago), as long as they're close it should at least keep Nvidia honest and have them respond to the feature set of their newest offering. Also the expected Vega lower price point might keep the resale value of the GTX 10-series low :) wishful thinking...

Literally the only currency I know of that scales up to "a mole" of money.
I learned something.

e1c62a9fa81ac2673e92deee4edf985d.jpg

Now that I am thinking about it, if this thing gives me the performance of 2 RX 480, with less than 2x power, and less than 2x price, I might just get a bunch of them for mining.

I voted for 'Same as 1080' assuming we're talking about the 11Gbps GDDR5 models that just hit the market.

I am fairly sure it will edge out the 1080, but as others have said, do so while eating more power and running even hotter. I do not expect it to catch the 1080 Ti, hence the reason I went 1080 Ti. I don't even expect Volta to be a very big jump over Pascal, it will be mostly just about running way cooler, slightly higher clocks I suspect. Pascal to Volta won't be the same as Maxwell to Pascal, I don't believe.

Now that I am thinking about it, if this thing gives me the performance of 2 RX 480, with less than 2x power, and less than 2x price, I might just get a bunch of them for mining.

So will every other miner.

If Vega sucks I'll get 10 more RX 570s.

I think Vega will probably be around 500USD depending on factory overclock by AMD.

Voted for slightly better than 1080, like 5-10%. You will have to have to upgrade your house electrical panel though.

Reactions: noko
like this
I believe the main model will be around 1080 performance for $400. There may be a higher end or lower end model as well for different prices.

1080 = twice the compute and TMUs of a 1060. RX 580 is a few percent faster than the 1060

It's going to take Vega with those specs a 1.7 GHz clock speed to produce double the flops/textures with only 70% more compute/tmu units than Polaris 20.

That's really reaching for the sky.

I personally think this will clock in slightly faster than the 580, so a little faster than the GTX 1070, but slower than the 1080. It'll be a Fiji replacement.

Last edited:
After seeing what Ryzen had in store, I upgraded to get away from being stuck with only 4 cores. However, Vega is going to be a side grade to a 1080, I'm betting the farm on that.

After seeing what Ryzen had in store, I upgraded to get away from being stuck with only 4 cores. However, Vega is going to be a side grade to a 1080, I'm betting the farm on that.

I am foreclosing on the farm. Get a job at Green Giant. It will be considerably better than the 1080Ti, very close to Titan XP for a lot less. The only thing holding up release is driver maturity now.

:ROFLMAO:
I am foreclosing on the farm. Get a job at Green Giant. It will be considerably better than the 1080Ti, very close to Titan XP for a lot less. The only thing holding up release is driver maturity now.
I wrote this joke in my diary so I can laugh at it later

This wait is annoying, please release the specs so we know if its worth waiting for.
I need a new AMD card now!

The latest undocumented Chinese rumours is you get a 1200Mhz Vega for 225W and a 1346Mhz Vega for 300W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back