Pixi or Pre?

mrmylanman

[H]ard|Gawd
I am in the market for a new smart phone and want to stick with Sprint (been happy with their service and their pricing).

I like the form factor of the Pixi (how small it is, and I hear the keyboard is better) however there are two problems I see with it. The speed of it and the lack of WiFi.

I was wondering if anyone had any issue with not having access to WiFi (I'll be new to the smart phone market), or if anyone has any personal experience with the Pixi in order to tell me if the reviews of it being excruciatingly slow are accurate or exaggerated.

I know the price difference isn't that big so I may end up springing for the Pre, but if the difference is not that noticeable then I'd just as soon settle for the smaller lighter phone.

I appreciate any input!

The keyboard is better, but not a LOT better. Personally? I'd want to stick with wifi and I prefer the form factor and the larger screen. My girl wanted a smaller candybar phone and she got the Pixi. By the way, 1.3.5 is supposed to fix the pixi's speed issues. Was released the other day.

You mean the OS speed? No, I can't, as I don't personally own a Pixi. I'd suggest hitting up Precentral.net, Engadget mobile, and other sites to see what the consensus is.

I've been looking around on precentral and everythingpre, great informative sites. I forgot about engadget mobile. Thanks again

Every single review I have read points to the Pixi hardware as slow as s***. Something to keep in mind.

Wifi is a must have to me. 3G is great until you need to download something big like a firmware update which are very common on the WebOS phones as they are still very new. The Pre is noticeably quicker than the pixi and always will be.

By the way, 1.3.5 is supposed to fix the pixi's speed issues. Was released the other day.

1.3.2 was released to the Pixi for that. 1.3.5 is determined to carry the "app limit fix" which is due later this month for the Pre and Pixi.

As for the hardware, I'd still vote Pre. I haven't used wifi since 1.3.1 was released, and with how Sprint is in my area, I find myself not needing wifi at all. That leaves me with the faster processor and the graphics chip in the Pre. The graphics chip isn't used, but Palm has hired a couple folks who have said that hardware graphics support will be turned on soon. That would put the capability of the Pre on par with the iPhone 3Gs. There is video recording built into the OS, but there is no front end to it (yet) from Palm - just a homebrew solution.

I'd go Pre, but if you just want a more basic smart phone, Pixi might be right for you.

The Pixi has a dedicated graphics chip as well, from my understanding. I think I am going to go ahead and get it, as the phone I have now is a Samsung POS (not even really a feature phone unless taking terrible terrible pictures counts), so I'd be impressed either way.

I appreciate all the input. I may end up getting the Pre instead. I'll need to handle both in person to see how they feel and all that. It'd be nice if I could play with them live but I havent found a place around here that actually does that yet.

The Pixi has a dedicated graphics chip as well, from my understanding.

Not sure of that myself, to be honest. However, what would you rather have backing that gfx chip up, the processor in the Pre or the processor in the Pixi?;)

Well I don't really plan on playing games on it lol. I have a desktop for that, and don't have much downtime while I'm out to play games anyhow. I can see how it'd be an important thing for some people though.

I think my wife and I are going to be both getting a Pre. Be both hate ATT with a passion and will probably break contract since their plans and phones other than the iphone suck. For me, it is between the Pre and Hero. The Hero does not have a dedicated keyboard though. Also, I like the Moment for the full keyboard the ui on it is not as polished. Too many choices. I will be buying mine at best buy and hopefully with their protection plan or whatever if I don't like one I can return it for another.

Both use SoCs that have graphics processors built-in. But as was mentioned, neither are utilized YET. Since the price difference is pretty negligible compared to the amount you will be paying for service over 2 years, I would get the Pre because it has much better hardware.

Well I would rather have the smaller phone if it's not an incredibly noticeable speed difference. This phone would mostly be used to "stay connected" like reading and sending basic e-mails, text/picture mail, and occasionally web browsing. I have an HP DV2Z for if I need to do heavier stuff (provided WiFi is available), so if I can get the smallest phone possible that'd be cool. But I was hoping people had first-hand experience of the difference in performance between the two post-1.3.2 patch since I hear that's helped the Pixi out some.

I also saw that someone released an app that lets you take video but I don't know if the Pixi is capable of using that since the camera is apparently completely different.

I think it rides on one question, do you need wifi? If yes, then get the Pre, otherwise get the Pixi.

I don't think that I'll need the wifi. I think I'm getting the Pixi. Walmart has em for $25 and I think they have them in stock here so by the end of the week I'll be rockin a Pixi. Thanks for the help all.

So did you get the Pixi? I own the Pre and like ir a lot. I wish there were more apps for it but as phone it is great. I did not notice much of a size difference though and I preferred the larger screen. I don't know if the WiFi is that big of a deal since the 3g coverage here is quite quick and the WiFi is another thing that runs the battery down.

Wifi is a must have to me. 3G is great until you need to download something big like a firmware update which are very common on the WebOS phones as they are still very new. The Pre is noticeably quicker than the pixi and always will be.

wifi isn't that big of a deal for me. I only use it when i'm at home, and it might come in handy for updates. I like my pre and find myself rarely needing the wifi. The EVDO is plenty fast enough, especially if you use the "patch" to remove the download limits.

I love my Pre. Wifi is nice to use as well whenever I've got shitty 3G service.

1.3.5 really pumped up the battery life...

The browser, which was already good, renders pages 1.5x as quickly... less lag all around.

Really impressed with this update. Also, apparently, the api(s) for WebGL are starting to show up as well!

Ready for CES baby :D

1.3.5 really pumped up the battery life...

The browser, which was already good, renders pages 1.5x as quickly... less lag all around.

Really impressed with this update. Also, apparently, the api(s) for WebGL are starting to show up as well!

Ready for CES baby :D

Not just WebGL, but all forms of graphics acceleration! ;)

Yep.

I really think Palm is going to have a great CES, yet again. Really really impressed with this latest update. Feels like a totally different phone. :D
Yup. CES is gonna be amazing.

I like the new font for the clock with the 1.3.5 update.

Back