Pixel 7 / Pixel 7 Pro / Pixel 7a

My worked in Windows 10 but not in 11 or truck says pin do not match even when they do

I've noticed with my pixel 7 the camera doesn't focus well using apps like my banking app to deposit checks or when I was trying to take photos of my drivers license in the web browser for ID verification for a trading website.

I've noticed with my pixel 7 the camera doesn't focus well using apps like my banking app to deposit checks or when I was trying to take photos of my drivers license in the web browser for ID verification for a trading website.
Pretty standard as they are using a generic API in Android vs software that's custom in the Google Pixel Camera app.

Still on the fence of trading in my Pixel 7 Pro I've had since launch on a S23 Ultra.

I've been with the large Pixel phones since the 2 XL, buy the new one each year. But I'm always a bit underwhelmed due to them always having good specs but not high-end flagship specs. And I know it's cheaper because of that, but I'd be willing to pay a little more for a better spec'd Pixel.

- Mediocre screen
- Average battery life
- Ok build quality, not bad, but not super duper
- Wish the software offered more customizing like One UI or Nothing Phone OS.

I know the Pixel 8 Pro is coming and it sounds cool, but afraid it'll be another 6 Pro to the 7 Pro, which was an extremely underwhelming upgrade. It was the Pixel 6.25 at best. I seriously could barely metallic difference. Yeah the screen was a little bit nicer and brighter but everything else it was barely even noticeable after one week.

Still on the fence of trading in my Pixel 7 Pro I've had since launch on a S23 Ultra.

I've been with the large Pixel phones since the 2 XL, buy the new one each year. But I'm always a bit underwhelmed due to them always having good specs but not high-end flagship specs. And I know it's cheaper because of that, but I'd be willing to pay a little more for a better spec'd Pixel.

- Mediocre screen
- Average battery life

I know the Pixel 8 Pro is coming and it sounds cool, but afraid it'll be another 6 Pro to the 7 Pro, which was an extremely underwhelming upgrade. It was the Pixel 6.25 at best. I seriously could barely metallic difference. Yeah the screen was a little bit nicer and brighter but everything else it was barely even noticeable after one week.
I decided to wait and see what the 8 Pro has to offer before buying the S23 Ultra that's taken residence my Best Buy cart for the past several weeks.

- Mediocre screen
- Average battery life

What phone do are you looking at that is better than the Pixel 7? Not including Iphones. Also not including the Asian phones with all the spyware tracking or whatever?

I noticed that I have like 57 updates for Apps, most of them I haven't a clue what they are....Is it normal to keep all these apps up to date or just mainly system updates?

I noticed that I have like 57 updates for Apps, most of them I haven't a clue what they are....Is it normal to keep all these apps up to date or just mainly system updates?
I delete as many apps as I can to avoid that exact occurrence.

Simple home screen on my 7 Pro

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230919-141351.png
    Screenshot_20230919-141351.png
    563 KB · Views: 0
Couple photos of my 18 month old Yellow lab when we had to go to the Vet for a checkup.

Attachments

• PXL_20231002_144338528.jpg
    PXL_20231002_144338528.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231002_143946311.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20231002_143946311.PORTRAIT.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 0
So my wife has a 6a that randomly reboots. I offered to buy her an 8, but we read that it has facing a similar problem. I haven't really seen that being mentioned about the 7a. Any of y'all long time owners having random reboot issues?

So my wife has a 6a that randomly reboots. I offered to buy her an 8, but we read that it has facing a similar problem. I haven't really seen that being mentioned about the 7a. Any of y'all long time owners having random reboot issues?
my sister's first 7a was defective and just forced closed all apps as was a dog shit phone. it's was brand new from FI. got a replacement and it has zero issues...

My wife and I are both on 6's and they're basically as good as new. The fingerprint reader has improved with every update and most of my software gripes have been steadily fixed over the last 2 years. Even the batteries seem to be as strong as they were at launch. If Google doesn't launch a flip version of the Pixel this year I can see myself sticking with the 6 until someone (beside Samsung) does.

Reactions: Huan
like this
My wife has the 6A and I have the 7, no issues to report here. Love our phones.

I bought 2 pixel 8's and 1 Pixel 8 pro and nobody has complained about random reboot issues. The pixel 8 series fixed a lot of the problems with the pixel 6 an 7 with overheating and sluggish performance. The screen is much better and brighter which probably helps the fingerprint reader to be more accurate. I have owned the pixel 6 , 7 and now pixel 8 and its definitely a muched improved experience. The hardware is much better and more reliable. Going from pixel 7 to pixel 8 it's noticeable.

Anyone still using the 7 Pro?

My 5a died the other day, and unfortunately they weren't able to replace it with another 5a, and are sending me a 7 Pro instead.

I'm pretty disappointed (really going to miss my rear fingerprint sensor and analog audio out). I was planning on using it until tit no longer got security updates later this year, and then planning on using a 3rd party ROM, but I guess now that will never happen :/

Any hints, tips/tricks, anything else I should know about the 7 Pro?

Anyone still using the 7 Pro?

My 5a died the other day, and unfortunately they weren't able to replace it with another 5a, and are sending me a 7 Pro instead.

I'm pretty disappointed (really going to miss my rear fingerprint sensor and analog audio out). I was planning on using it until tit no longer got security updates later this year, and then planning on using a 3rd party ROM, but I guess now that will never happen :/

Any hints, tips/tricks, anything else I should know about the 7 Pro?
Out of the box works well. Still using my 7 here.

Out of the box works well. Still using my 7 here.

I got it today. Have to admit that I am not loving it.

But I kind of knew that going in.

Compared to the 5a it is big and bulky. It fits in my pocket, but it is a notable lump with a bit too much weight to it. I think this is exacerbated by that annoying thick camera bar with relatively sharp edges poking out of the back of the thing, getting in the way.

It's also MUCH harder to type single handed than on the slightly smaller 5a, which is a huge bummer as I do that all the time...

Also, can't for the life of me understand why they put those rounded edges on the left and right side of the screen. All this accomplishes is to make screen protectors not fit well, and expose the edges to even higher potential of drop damage.

That , and as I suspected, the "under the glass" fingerprint reader is a serious and fundamental downgrade from the one on the back that Google essentially used on the Nexus 5x through Pixel 5a. It's not that it doesn't work. It scans fingerprints alright. It's just that with the scanner in that location on the front, with just smooth glass and nothing to guide your finger to the right location, it is not possible to reliably unlock the phone without looking at it, which I have done all the time since I got my Nexus 5x 9 years ago.

The back fingerprint reader also had the benefit that it would wake the phone and unlock it in one move, whereas now the screen sometimes wakes based on accelerometer movements (but not always) meaning that I often wake it unintentionally, and other times have to first press the power button to wake the phone and then aim and press the dam fingerprint icon on the screen to iunlock it.

Stick hand in pocket to grab phone, and before you even have the screen in a viewable position, your finger has touched the sensor on the back and unlocked it. Perfection. Can't understand why they would want to go mess with that. The new design by comparison is a total User INterface fail.

Now I have to pull it out, look down at it, and then touch the part of the screen where the reader is, to unlock it. It may only be a few seconds more, but when you think of it, we unlock our damn phone so many times in a day that it adds up!

It also seems to run rather hot, but maybe this is just an initial setup thing when it is trying to sync and set everything up for me.

I almost never use any kind of headphones/earbuds on my phone, but I will miss the analog audio out as it makes it much harder to randomly walk up to an amp and plug it in. I can get mini DAC's but I can't charge while playing back, which is kind of an annoyance.

Software wise they still insist on using the damn gestures instead of the proper three button navigation, but at least I can change that easily in settings. There is lots of new AI crap I don't want.

I spent my evening going through all the settings one by one methodologically reviewing them and disabling anything that even remotely resembles data collection, AI or increased potential of spying under the guise of convenience features, like live transcription, now playing, facial recognition, etc. etc. I pretty much completely got rid of "the Assistant", disabled any and all voice controls, got rid of all things "google home" and disabled any and all backups, syncing or anything else that touches Googles cloud.

Next I went through all th epreinstalled apps one by one trying to figure out what they all do, and if I can safely remove/block them. I kept a handful that I actually use, but for everything else I removed the ones I could, disabled the ones that I couldn't, and a few I reluctantly left in place because I was pretty sure removing them might break something.

No need to have them sitting there wasting storage/power and sending data back to the mothership if I am not going to use the features.

Then I replaced the Pixel Launcher with Nova launcher, removing any and all search bars.

Now it finally behaves more like I want. If I want to search the internet, I'll open the browser, go to a search page, and type in my search query, the way it is supposed to be. Not integrating it into the home screen, and definitely not by talking to my phone.

It's kind of a shame. Technology is supposed to always improve, but I feel like the 2024 smartphone user experience is worse than the experience was over a decade ago.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's why I have a 7, non-pro. I hate curved screen edge way more than is reasonable :ROFLMAO: But seriously, try a 7a or at least a non-pro.

I got it today. Have to admit that I am not loving it.

But I kind of knew that going in.

Compared to the 5a it is big and bulky. It fits in my pocket, but it is a notable lump with a bit too much weight to it. I think this is exacerbated by that annoying thick camera bar with relatively sharp edges poking out of the back of the thing, getting in the way.

It's also MUCH harder to type single handed than on the slightly smaller 5a, which is a huge bummer as I do that all the time...

Also, can't for the life of me understand why they put those rounded edges on the left and right side of the screen. All this accomplishes is to make screen protectors not fit well, and expose the edges to even higher potential of drop damage.

That , and as I suspected, the "under the glass" fingerprint reader is a serious and fundamental downgrade from the one on the back that Google essentially used on the Nexus 5x through Pixel 5a. It's not that it doesn't work. It scans fingerprints alright. It's just that with the scanner in that location on the front, with just smooth glass and nothing to guide your finger to the right location, it is not possible to reliably unlock the phone without looking at it, which I have done all the time since I got my Nexus 5x 9 years ago.

The back fingerprint reader also had the benefit that it would wake the phone and unlock it in one move, whereas now the screen sometimes wakes based on accelerometer movements (but not always) meaning that I often wake it unintentionally, and other times have to first press the power button to wake the phone and then aim and press the dam fingerprint icon on the screen to iunlock it.

Stick hand in pocket to grab phone, and before you even have the screen in a viewable position, your finger has touched the sensor on the back and unlocked it. Perfection. Can't understand why they would want to go mess with that. The new design by comparison is a total User INterface fail.

Now I have to pull it out, look down at it, and then touch the part of the screen where the reader is, to unlock it. It may only be a few seconds more, but when you think of it, we unlock our damn phone so many times in a day that it adds up!

It also seems to run rather hot, but maybe this is just an initial setup thing when it is trying to sync and set everything up for me.

I almost never use any kind of headphones/earbuds on my phone, but I will miss the analog audio out as it makes it much harder to randomly walk up to an amp and plug it in. I can get mini DAC's but I can't charge while playing back, which is kind of an annoyance.

Software wise they still insist on using the damn gestures instead of the proper three button navigation, but at least I can change that easily in settings. There is lots of new AI crap I don't want.

I spent my evening going through all the settings one by one methodologically reviewing them and disabling anything that even remotely resembles data collection or increased potential of spying under the guise of convenience features, like live transcription, now playing, etc. etc. I pretty much completely got rid of "the Assistant", disabled any and all voice controls, got rid of all things "google home" and disabled any and all backups, syncing or anything else that touches Googles cloud.

Next I went through all th epreinstalled apps one by one trying to figure out what they all do, and if I can safely remove/block them. I kept a handful that I actually use, but everything else I removed the ones I could, disabled the ones that I couldn't, and a few I reluctantly left in place because I was pretty sure removing them might break something.

No need to have them sitting there wasting storage/power and sending data back to the mothership if I am not going to use the features.

Then I replaced the Pixel Launcher with Nova launcher, removing any and all search bars.

Now it finally behaves more like I want. If I want to search the internet, I'll open the browser, go to a search page, and type in my search query, the way it is supposed to be. Not integrating it into the home screen, and definitely not by talking to my phone.

It's kind of a shame. Technology is supposed to always improve, but I feel like the 2024 smartphone user experience is worse than the experience was over a decade ago.

I still have my 7 Pro lying around. But I've never bothered with custom launchers. My main concern was that it found any and every opportunity to over heat. Get a case for it as soon as possible because the modern Pixels are slick mother fuckers, and will slide off any surface that isn't perfectly level.
Honestly from the way it sounds like you're using the phone I'd suggest sending it back for any other phone unless you're married to the camera system.

Going back to the heating issues, I would disable animations and turn off 5g whenever possible. The general power saving tweaks

Yeah, that's why I have a 7, non-pro. I hate curved screen edge way more than is reasonable :ROFLMAO: But seriously, try a 7a or at least a non-pro.
Honestly from the way it sounds like you're using the phone I'd suggest sending it back for any other phone unless you're married to the camera system.

Yeah, if I were phone shopping, the 7 Pro would likely not be at the top of any shopping list of mine.

When my 5a died (which I still had a device protection plan for for some reason) the 7 Pro is what they randomly sent me as a replacement. I'm guessing there are not too many 5a's (or 6a's or 7a's) left in the device replacement pool and they figured no one would complain if they gave them a newer "pro" model.

(I guess they don't know me very well :p )

I still have my 7 Pro lying around. But I've never bothered with custom launchers. My main concern was that it found any and every opportunity to over heat.
Going back to the heating issues, I would disable animations and turn off 5g whenever possible. The general power saving tweaks

This one ran hot during setup, but has seemingly been fine since. It seems to eat through battery like crazy though, even when just sitting idle. Last night I accidentally charged it up to 100% (I usually try to stop at 80% but I forgot it plugged in). A couple of hours of going through configuration it was down to 77% before bed. This morning when getting up it was down to 69%. I don't think I'll get anywhere near the runtime on this thing I got out of the 5a, even on a 3 year old battery.

Get a case for it as soon as possible because the modern Pixels are slick mother fuckers, and will slide off any surface that isn't perfectly level.

Yeah, I noticed that. During my setup, it slid off the couch and onto the (luckily carpeted floor) like a million times. I have ordered a case which should be arriving today.

.... unless you're married to the camera system.

Camera quality is nice and all, but if I want to take fancy pictures I'll break out the SLR. The camera in the 5a was way overkill for any hipster-like taking pictures of my food needs I may have :p

I only just realized how much they use facial recognition in this system though, and that really bothers me. Like I had all that Google Lens shit disabled ever since Google first introduced it in the Pixel years ago, so I didn't realize how big-brother-esque it had become.

You should really need written consent from anyone before collecting their biometric data, and that is essentially what you are doing when you are computing a digital faceprint from a photo of someone. I don't want to be a part of any facial recognition database, let alone in every phone of anyone who has ever taken a picture of me. The potential abuses for this technology are to many to even properly contemplate. It really ought to be completely illegal.

Anyone else slightly bothered by the camera resolution?

It's 4:3.... sortof.

4080x3072

So if you scale it down to the 4:3 resolutions we all know and love you get...

- 1600x1205 (not 1600x1200)
- 1024x771 (not 1024x768)
- 800x602 (not 800x600)
- 640x482 (not 640x480)

Maybe I'm being just a little bit OCD here, but it keeps bothering me, and I keep cropping images down to proper 4:30 before posting anywhere.

Anyone else do the same?

I wonder why the images wind up being close to 4:3, but not quite 4:3

Seems like a curious choice. Especially since - as it were - they are scaling them down from anywhere between 12MP and 48MP before saving. I mean, for either of those, one would think they would be 4000x3000 (12MP) or 8000x6000 (48MP) before being scaled down.

That used to really bother me when I upgraded past the 4a.
With the 7 Pro I think that it's actually like 12.5 after the pixel binning and the extra crop from the sensor is sacrificed for the sake of image stabilization, or something. That's at least what have gathered over the years.
I've digressed. On both the 6 and 7 I learned to just let the camera do it's thing.

Back