Pixel 7 / Pixel 7 Pro / Pixel 7a

Does BestBuy take any Pixel phone for Trade-In? Or just ones bought from BestBuy? I have Pixel 4a 5G in mint condition. I want it for for better security and to run GrapheneOS, which I already run on Pixel 4a 5G, but GrapheneOS does not control "Secure Element" (Titan M2 chip and Tensor core)
I got $80 for a pixel 4a non 5G in Good condition at BestBuy

Google is giving out codes to get $100 store credits if you buy a Pixel. The code sharer and the purchaser each get a $100 credit.
I have one to share
6RUU5RWPBJM1ALLCZ7NGRI4

If this is not allowed please delete.

I have a 6 but that thread has stagnated a bit...
Anyone get the December update yet?
-512MB!
I haven't done a lot with it but the fingerprint scanning seems a LOT faster, faster than anything else I've ever used, maybe half the time to get it unlocked?
https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-december-2022-security-patch-3244865/
Installed it last night, but haven't had a chance to test it. One of the definite perks of Pixel ownership is iPhone-like speedy access to new updates — obviously other brands won't get Pixel drops, but it would be nice if more brands committed to fast OS and feature updates.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Still early days, but not seeing a huge improvement on the Pixel 6 just yet. Going to give it a day or two to see if there's a practical difference.

I have a 6 but that thread has stagnated a bit...
Anyone get the December update yet?
-512MB!
I haven't done a lot with it but the fingerprint scanning seems a LOT faster, faster than anything else I've ever used, maybe half the time to get it unlocked?
https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-december-2022-security-patch-3244865/
I just got it, but I didn't have the phone long enough before the update to notice anything in particular changing.

It also didn't seem to break anything. So that's good.

The update hasn't affected the performance on my 7p that I can tell. It was however a little bit smaller.

I decided to keep ours since nobody wanted to buy a 512GB pro, and it's nice being able to fit all the flac that i own on it with all the maps and still have enough left over for the usual suspects.

The debate seems to be whether it's temperature stress or manufacturing defect. So I'm keeping my 7 from seeing freezing cold by not living in snow country.

The debate seems to be whether it's temperature stress or manufacturing defect. So I'm keeping my 7 from seeing freezing cold by not living in snow country.
9To5 commenters Morgran and Leeav Amar posted that the issue is likely both temperature stress and a manufacturing issue.

It makes sense that this is only happening to the P7, but not the P6 - since we now have a metal-glass sandwich, and metal expands and decreases in size when heated/chilled. There were phones in the past, where the manufacturers didn't check proper tolerances (there must be a minimal clearance between the phone chassie and the display glass, or the glass could easily break whenever there is a big temperature change - usually manufacturers use a rubber/adhesive layer to act as an intermediate level, to relieve stress). Glass is not good at withstanding pressure. <Morgran>

Makes sense - the CTE-mismatch is a potential culprit here (coefficient of thermal expansion). There are calculations one could use to help discover and mitigate such potential situations, but who knows if these even crept into Google engineering (I really hope it did as a matter of good systems and stress engineering)... <Leeav Amar>

Yeah, I get it, and think that's probably the best description- not a huge defect but a minor manufacture defect and a design / engineering tolerance that didn't take expansion into account. It's not really uncommon sadly.

"On the rear we can see it looks very similar to the Pixel 7 with two cameras in the new metallic housing". TT Technology
For those who are following the reports of spontaneous camera glass shattering in the Pixel 7, hopefully this issue will not be carried over to the Pixel 7a.

The Pixel 7a will be of interest to those seeking a budget priced Pixel phone.

Last edited:
I have the Google bot pixel 7 Pro and still no January update for me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230110-135144.png
    Screenshot_20230110-135144.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 0
Huh, nothing on my 7... Oh, reading the story that's just a Verizon leak not the official release.

Anyone ever get a January update on any Pixel 7s? Now that February is right around the corner?

I got a whole lot of google app updates, but no security update.

Anyone ever get a January update on any Pixel 7s? Now that February is right around the corner?

I didn't get a prompt to download and install. Just did a force check and it downloaded and installed.

Same (Don't check every day). Not super worried, but wish T-mob would talk about what's going on. Silence isn't golden.

That's good news for Google, but also not a high bar to clear. The company has been struggling to figure out what will make the Pixel 'click' with the public, and it only really hit on a solid plan with the Pixel 6. I'd say the jury's still out for a while on whether or not Google becomes the true third major option in Western markets beyond Apple and Samsung.

With that said, it does seem like the Pixel 7 series is doing well even among the "Google makes its own phones?" mainstream. When I was upgrading the family's phones at the carrier store in late December, there was a woman buying a Pixel 7 Pro who clearly wasn't an enthusiast; she just wanted a good phone at a decent price.

Yeah, and I can say my P6 and now P7 seem like phones I could use for a longer time. Years. I only upgraded because of the $20 offer around black Friday...

I've had my P7 for a few months. overall im happy. However the brightness slider, flashlight and wifi buttons on the pull down menu give me a hard time. And it may be because im not accurate, and my thumb is giant, but sometimes when I try to slide the slider and turn on /off the flashlight the pulldown just goes back up.

My 7 pro 512's camera glass hasn't broken but on the other hand we have duplicate garage door openers on the wall where the old alarm system used to be at the entry to the garage but this combined with remote start means there isn't really going from warm to cold temperatures. Maybe that is why it doesn't crack the glass. It got the January update on or about 1/5/23. It's unlocked from the google store though since they gave us $885 for a galaxy s22 ultra (shovelware avoid!!1) it was dirt cheap to buy the 7 pro.

I mostly like it vs the 6 pro for the better cellular reception and throughput in rural areas and the increased storage.

My only gripe with my 7 Pro is the Bluetooth. It constantly switches on automatically. I have no idea what's causing it.

Mine doesn't do this unless I plug it into android auto but they've all done that since I got trucks with AA.

Got my update too.

Honestly I haven't noticed *any* changes. But I haven't dug into the changelog yet.
My P7pro was running great before this, so it's not really a bad thing.

Last edited:

Are you on TMO? If so you will not see the Jan update and get the Feb update

Canadian Pixel 7 Pro user here, got my phone on launch. no issues with the back glass and yes the phone has been out with me snowmobiling, running, etc. We also get "real" winter here where it is not uncommon to hit -40c/f. I guess time will tell!

I think the glass issue is likely to have been a specific batch thing, not a real design flaw. Could be wrong of course but I bet this issue will quietly go away (like it has for other phones).

I think the glass issue is likely to have been a specific batch thing, not a real design flaw. Could be wrong of course but I bet this issue will quietly go away (like it has for other phones).
Probably. Some people like to act as if issues like this are permanent reasons to skip a phone or an entire company (just look at the folks who exaggerate Apple's issues), but the boring reality is that these tend to only affect a small number of units.

Probably. Some people like to act as if issues like this are permanent reasons to skip a phone or an entire company (just look at the folks who exaggerate Apple's issues), but the boring reality is that these tend to only affect a small number of units.
Well put, I can't see a potential issue like this allowed to continue into production.

Ugh.. my Pixel 3a is showing it's age.. From the general specs and pricing seems 7a can't get here fast enough.

Ugh.. my Pixel 3a is showing it's age.. From the general specs and pricing seems 7a can't get here fast enough.
The 7a is likely debuting at I/O, so you won't have to wait too long to hear more. Let's just hope there isn't a huge lead time between announcement and shipping.

Back