Pixel 7 / Pixel 7 Pro / Pixel 7a

On the Pixel 7 line, curious if Google will indeed use a new type of fingerprint scanner? Probably the #1 complaint on the Pixel 6 line is the fps. So Google must be aware of this, and you would hope use a different and better method on the upcoming phones.

With those few Pixel 7's that were out in the public was there any confirmation on new fingerprint scanners on them?

I mean if Google keeps the same Pixel 6 scanner on the Pixel 7, I have no words for that.
I mean, every year Google put a phone out there with some kind of deal breaker or two and yet you continued to support them... Say that Google pixel 7 comes with another flaw that shouldn't have happened based on how other competing products were implemented, when would you stop supporting Google?

I mean, every year Google put a phone out there with some kind of deal breaker or two and yet you continued to support them... Say that Google pixel 7 comes with another flaw that shouldn't have happened based on how other competing products were implemented, when would you stop supporting Google?

I stopped using the fingerprint scanner on my Pixel 6 Pro, the same day I got it in November, and haven't used it since, so don't miss it or complain about it really, was just curious if the Pixel 7 line will have an improved version, because that seems to be a major complaint to most others.

Other than that, I love my Pixel 6 Pro, it's very smooth, and I like stock Android, and just can't ever see going back to the outdated limited lock-down iOS anytime soon, until a major overhaul happens, which seems doubtful at this point. iOS is what it is, and I guess won't ever see the changes I'd like, it's going to be stuck this way forever, and obviously it's great to most as they keep selling mega millions worth every year.

Yes, disable security on the phone so that the phone would work…

What’s the point of Google upgrading the fps or not if Google can count on their base to keep buying their phones even if it sucks?

So many manufacturers make phones that can be secured and quickly unlocked using biometrics, and Google can’t even get it right because of some cut corners. If Apple or Samsung did something like this, they’d be the butt of all jokes. I don’t get why Google gets so many passes here

Last edited:
Reactions: T4rd
like this
I had a 6 pro for a little while and got rid of it for the s22 ultra when that came out. The 6 pro with the sub par finger scanner and modem annoyed me and is why I wanted to get rid of it in the beginning. Samsung pulled me off with all the options and features the s22 ultra offered with the s pen. After using the s22 ultra for a while, I find how little I use the pen and all the extra features they throw at you. Also the OneUI is looking bland and outdated and I realize how much I liked the Pixel UI and the exclusive features like enhanced google assistant and voice dictation, call screening, hold for me, etc. I think I will be going back to the Pixel 7 pro in a few months when it comes out. I'm just hoping they go with an ultrasonic finger scanner and new efficient modem.

I just hope the 7 Pro has a new modem and upgraded / better fingerprint scanner.
If it's the same as previous Tensor, in other words Exynos in disguise, it (modem) will be crap. Pray that they do not use RDNA2 based Xclipse GPU. I really hate it on my S22. The real world performance is bad and it's pretty obvious that the lack of proper OpenGL ES drivers hurts the performance. This uses ANGLE on Vulkan backend for all that and you can obviously kiss bye bye for some performance. Pure performance in Vulkan is not that competitive either. I'm pretty sure that they'll stick with ARMs GPUs though.

Right? I can't stand Samsung bloat (but will admit I haven't looked in three years). I just want someone to make the next Nexus right. No superfluous bells and whistles, just above average hardware with good software. I know my OP6t spoiled me, but I really hoped the Pixels 6 family was going to wow and they just didn't if the modem issues are still around. Maybe the 7 will at least be a step in the right direction.

I'm hopeful that the 7 will continue to improve upon the things the 6 does well and it'll fix some of the issues people have had with it. It's clearly an evolutionary step vs. a revolutionary step this time. If they can fix the fingerprint scanner and add some flexibility to to Pixel launcher, that'll go a long way. I'm still hoping for a single button "take the best picture possible" that leverages AI, too. I don't want to mess with lenses, lighting, etc. - just gimme a single picture that is ideal based on my shot.

That would be really cool. I always forget to use portrait mode, and took a random pic of a feral cat a few months back and the camera flipped to that mode... I have to admit it makes a big difference (and it was a great shot).

I want some consistent way to get rid of that effect where anything that isn't in the dead center of a photo is out of focus. It's that effect Apple was bragging about in their commercials last year. I *HATE* that effect (it makes writing illegible) and I can't consistently find a way around it. Occasionally it's there no matter what I do. Other times it's not there at all. My Samsung had an option that would take like 20 pictures in an instant. Some photos would have it while others wouldn't. The catch is that you had to sort through thousands of photos if you were taking a bunch. I want something like that, but with an AI that sorts through everything for me.

I only use Pixel devices for dev purposes (truly unlocked bootloader devices that work with Verizon in USA) so I'll probably be running the 6 Pro for a while. Finally retired my Nexus 6 from 2015 so that should give you an idea. And I'm a phone junkie but (Google) hardware doesn't interest me nearly as much as the other guys. Now if we could back to the days where any Android device could be bootloader unlocked on purchase day with TWRP in a week or two then there would be little point.

As far as the P6 Pro goes my biggest gripe (don't laugh) is the fact it's about as hard to keep in my hands as a piece of melting ice. I prefer to be casesless or at the most an aramid style super thin snap on "case". Of course if I was in the crowd of unbalanced influencers perhaps an otterbox commuter around my P6P, probably fit nicely in the sling arm of a 80s Hoppe's clay pigeon thrower at 75 degrees! Much more exciting than running up stairs of a parking garage or lookout tower and tossing them for some extreme 50 feet plus drop tests.

"Comparing the Pixel 6 Pro to the Pixel 7 Pro. The dimension is almost identical, however you have slimmer bezels on the sides. Or is it just more curved? It looks like you have slimmer bezels on the sides of the old model but it could just be that it has a more aggressive curve around the edge than the new model". Lew Unbox Therapy

Hopefully that's so. Wish Pixel would just ditch the curved screens altogether, there were no drawbacks associated with prior Pixels having normal flat screens.

I typically upgrade my phone's every year.

Currently have the Pixel 6 Pro and I'm very satisfied and happy enough with it.

This would be the first year I don't upgrade to the 7 Pro mostly because it seems like a side grade at best. Barely any difference between the 7 Pro and 6 Pro from what I'm reading.

Same shape and design same screen display tech
Same size, battery and memory

Am I missing something or is there some other major upgrade that would make the 7 Pro a significantly better phone than 6 Pro?

All my years owning smartphones, and specifically since my Nexus-One, all the way through my Pixel 6 Pro now, the 6 Pro to the 7 Pro, seems like the most minimal, barely any difference, not an upgrade, I have ever seen in my smartphone buying years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but seriously what is the big difference between the 6 Pro and 7 Pro? The 7 Pro seems like it should be called a 6.25 Pro

Plus, I'd rather spend my money on upgrading my Gaming PC, get the new RTX-4080 and Intel 13000 series.

Last edited:
Is Google still doing that cheesy dumb thing, of making the smaller Pixel 7 with lesser mediocre specs, compared to the Pro model like last year.

I like the smaller form factor and FLAT screen of the Pixel 6, but wish it had the 120hz refresh rate and more RAM and everything the Pro has. They should share the same spec's like the iPhone does with both Pro models, a regular size and a Max size, but both share the same hardware.

Is Google still doing that cheesy dumb thing, of making the smaller Pixel 7 with lesser mediocre specs, compared to the Pro model like last year.

I like the smaller form factor and FLAT screen of the Pixel 6, but wish it had the 120hz refresh rate and more RAM and everything the Pro has. They should share the same spec's like the iPhone does with both Pro models, a regular size and a Max size, but both share the same hardware.
Nothing definite, but looks like that’s the case.

And I honestly don’t see much of a problem with it. The beauty of the Pixel 6 for some is the value; the compromises are relatively mild, and make it a good pick for folks who just want a speedy chip and good-enough cameras. I like that I didn’t have to spend Pixel 6 Pro money to get a standard bearer for Android.

I'm very interested to see what Google has in store from the Pixel 6 Pro? I'm wishing for a massive upgrade, FLAT screen, bright 2,000 nit display like the iPhone 14 Pro, huge 6,000mAh battery, more RAM, even better cameras, etc... But then I woke up, and none of that is coming.

Unfortunately everything I've read on the Pixel 7 Pro is it's a Pixel 6.25 very minimal minor update, maybe the smallest update in the history of smartphones, year to year. The Pixel 6 Pro to the 7 Pro is a sidegrade at best it seems.

On the rumor front, there have been rumblings about a "Pixel 7 Mini" popping up in online benchmarks. I lament the demise of smaller devices, so I'm hopeful it's a real product. Then again, I'd still rather have an actually good flip/fold device rather than one that's always small.

I saw a headline about that also- It would be a nice option for sure.

Unless you're opposed to charging your phone each day I think you'd be hard pressed to run almost any new phone all the way down in a single day. Even if you're playing intense games on cross-oceanic flight you'd have a power plug on or near your seat. Unless a phone has abysmal battery life (like mine did thanks to that A13 bug), battery life one of those things that doesn't matter as much anymore.

Tensor 2 is rumored to be a very minor upgrade over the first Tensor chip, like Tensor 1.25.

I think we've reached a point with smartphones, that a new release every 12 months is kind of silly. The technology has almost plateaued.

Look at the iPhone 14 Pro, take away the Dynamic Island avd New pill shaped notch, and there's really no reason to get it over the already great iPhone 13.

Snartphones should follow video card releases, which are every 2 years.

Tensor 2 is rumored to be a very minor upgrade over the first Tensor chip, like Tensor 1.25.

I think we've reached a point with smartphones, that a new release every 12 months is kind of silly. The technology has almost plateaued.

Look at the iPhone 14 Pro, take away the Dynamic Island avd New pill shaped notch, and there's really no reason to get it over the already great iPhone 13.

Well, no one is forcing you to change your phone every year... In many cases it often hardly makes any sense.

If I were upgrading from any iPhone 11 model or earlier (maybe a regular 12), I'd be all over the 14 Pro. But if I was one of those everyday users who just wanted a good phone on contract/instalments... I'd stick to the 13 unless I wanted the 14 Plus' larger screen. Likewise, I wouldn't upgrade from a Pixel 6 to a 7 unless I was trading to a different size or heard the fingerprint reader was dramatically improved.

With that in mind, I'd say the phone market is repeating what happened with PCs: there's diminishing returns on hardware upgrades, and existing devices are increasingly good enough that they remain great for years longer than before. I only upgraded from an XS to a 13 Pro because I'm an enthusiast who was chafing at limitations; I could probably have waited another year otherwise. Even in Google's sphere, a Pixel 4a, 5 or 5a owner doesn't have much reason to upgrade unless that mid-tier Snapdragon just isn't cutting it.

Face unlock and I am sold
My wife unlocks her iPhone with a blink of an eye, and wonders why I am still messing trying to unlock the damn thing.

Face unlock and I am sold
My wife unlocks her iPhone with a blink of an eye, and wonders why I am still messing trying to unlock the damn thing.
Good call! Face unlock would be the one reason I'd upgrade to a 7 Pro this year.

Actually got a S22 Ultra 256GB from Google Fi on Monday that should be about 400 all in out of pocket with 2 months free untld plus service. Was too good to pass up, though my P6P has been quite well behaved esp since A13, almost no reason to go for P7P from a P6P though, it's almost entirely the same phone. And there are twats on various forms 'upgrading' from a S22U to a P7P 🤦‍♂️

Watching the whole damn Made by Google thing.

Main takeaway so far (at the tablet section) is that I want the new cameras in the P7P, and I'm annoyed that there isn't some sort of Pixel 7 + Pixel Watch (and/or) Pixel Buds bundle.

Update: all of the people on stage saying "hey google" really fucked with my google homes. It was kinda funny.

Last edited:
Actually got a S22 Ultra 256GB from Google Fi on Monday that should be about 400 all in out of pocket with 2 months free untld plus service. Was too good to pass up, though my P6P has been quite well behaved esp since A13, almost no reason to go for P7P from a P6P though, it's almost entirely the same phone. And there are twats on various forms 'upgrading' from a S22U to a P7P 🤦‍♂️

I'm upgrading from a P6P. Mostly to see if there is a connectivity improvement.

I also have a S22+ and Fold4.

I might have a problem.

I'm upgrading from a P6P. Mostly to see if there is a connectivity improvement.

I also have a S22+ and Fold4.

I might have a problem.
Face Unlock is my reason to upgrade from my 6 Pro. I'll wait for the 7 Pro to be available on Pixel Pass then make my move. PP has worked out quite well for me.

Face Unlock is my reason to upgrade from my 6 Pro. I'll wait for the 7 Pro to be available on Pixel Pass then make my move. PP has worked out quite well for me.
FU + Brighter screen + 1x better zoom (4-5x optical) + may be better modem (tbd since they are still using a bunch of samsung and their in-house stuff mashed together)= $350-400 (after the best trade in deals, currently from BB)? Hard call to make.

Pixel Pass already is available for the 7 Pro and I got $500 trade-in for my 6 Pro (paid $599 last month).

Ordered!! :D

Purchased regular 7. I am all for a more compact phone.

I went with the leather case this time since the regular P6 case turned out to be poor quality.

Pixel Pass already is available for the 7 Pro and I got $500 trade-in for my 6 Pro (paid $599 last month).

Ordered!! :D
I wish I could figure out a way to make the Pixel Pass work, but the lack of a YouTube family plan on it really messes up a lot. 😐
Just make it a possible addon for the $5 or whatever it costs normally and I'd be game.

I wish I could figure out a way to make the Pixel Pass work, but the lack of a YouTube family plan on it really messes up a lot. 😐
Just make it a possible addon for the $5 or whatever it costs normally and I'd be game.
Yeah, that's a definite miss by Google. PP is great for us single types. They even let me keep my 2TB Google Drive storage (PP only offers 200GB) with no price hike.

Back