Pixel 6 / Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6a

The longest I've ever kept a phone is 3 years with my 3XL, so I'm not concerned about having 5 years of updates.
Am glad you mentioned that. I too have only kept one phone for three years. Just ran a search and found out that the average length of time a phone is kept is under three years. I should have considered that.

I'm usually keep my phones for 2-3 years. Mainly just because that's when the batteries start draining much faster and (at least in the past) when newer devices start including a major new feature. In this case, I'll be shocked if I don't want something that folds 2-3 years from now.
Still, I'll never take OS updates and security updates for granted. I had a Moto X Pure for 3 years and it only got a single OS update and 3 security updates during that time. It's no fun reading about all the new stuff that Google is adding to Android and your former flagship isn't getting any of it.

I'm usually keep my phones for 2-3 years. Mainly just because that's when the batteries start draining much faster and (at least in the past) when newer devices start including a major new feature. In this case, I'll be shocked if I don't want something that folds 2-3 years from now.
Still, I'll never take OS updates and security updates for granted. I had a Moto X Pure for 3 years and it only got a single OS update and 3 security updates during that time. It's no fun reading about all the new stuff that Google is adding to Android and your former flagship isn't getting any of it.
I almost bought a Motorola Edge, earlier this year, but didn't after reading about Moto's dismal update record.

I almost bought a Motorola Edge, earlier this year, but didn't after reading about Moto's dismal update record.

Apparently it used to be one of their hallmarks prior to being purchased by Lenovo. Now, not so much. What sucks is that their devices still have a very stripped down almost-vanilla version of Android on them. The specs aren't bad, either. If they got updates even on par with the lesser OEM's I'd probably consider buying another one.

Yeah, I wish they had kept the commitment to the Google One program (may have the name wrong). Someone putting out decent hardware and using stock Android would be front of the line for me.

One thing I read is that the 6 Pro might be using a stainless steel frame (in yet another copy Apple moment from Google) which would be to its detriment. A lot of extra weight for little gain that could have been used for the battery instead.

I loved my old LG G3, I think of all the phones I've had that was the one I was most wowed by when I got it.
It looked great, and the back didn't look cheap at all but it was plastic, and could be pulled off in an instant if you needed to hard reboot or replace the battery.

Hell of a lot smarter than this all glass crap. Twice as likely to crack! Weighs more! Costs more! Completely covered up by your $20 case!

Yeah, I wish they had kept the commitment to the Google One program (may have the name wrong). Someone putting out decent hardware and using stock Android would be front of the line for me.
Android One.

Bought a moto g pro (called moto g stylus in many places) that comes with it, half a year ago. It's receiving security updates every two months. I think I also remember it moving to android 11 from 10 when I installed the backlog of updates (the phone was released in June 2020).

Ah, thanks! I meant to go look that up but forgot. :ROFLMAO: It'll be interesting to see if it gets Android 12 in a reasonable timeframe.

I am getting one. Period. Don't know whether it will be the 6 or the Pro yet, but my P2XL is barely holding on and really needs replaced.

My problem here is that they up-sized the entry-level model as well for this iteration.

I have no other choice for normal sized phone to replace my Pixel 2 except 5 (sold-out ) or 4 (overpriced because of the radar), or the 4a!

Fuck this suddden super-sized + curved screen obsession, The Googles!

My problem here is that they up-sized the entry-level model as well for this iteration.

I have no other choice for normal sized phone to replace my Pixel 2 except 5 (sold-out ) or 4 (overpriced because of the radar), or the 4a!

That's a fair bitch. I have large palms, but short fingers, and the P2XL is basically the limit for what I comfortable with size wise. I really miss the old moto Razr filp phone days, but my eyes can't do anything that size anymore either.

The size of my Pixel 4 XL is the biggest I like. I do also have the iPhone 12 Pro Max, and it's a big phone, mainly the width being just too wide, it's not a one handed phone whatsoever. But the display going almost edge to edge is beautiful, minus the stupid notch, but the FLAT screen is GREAT.

Curved edge displays suck in my opinion. Ghost touches, and cases are weird on them, plus those type of screens are more prone to damage.

I'd get the regular Pixel 6, as it's pretty much identical in height and width to the Pixel 4 XL dimensions, and won't be a curved edge screen like the 6 Pro.

So is the regular Pixel 6 coming with a 120hz or 90hz refresh rate display?

I keep reading conflicting reports, and this one from just this week, states 120hz for both Pixel phones;

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/...e-pixel-6-pro-vs-pixel-6-differences-compared

Display​

• Pixel 6: 6.4-inch, Full HD+, 120Hz
  • Pixel 6 Pro: 6.7-inch, Quad HD+, 120Hz
The Google Pixel 6 is said to be coming with a 6.4-inch display, which as we mentioned, is flat. It's claimed it will sport a Full HD+ resolution and a 120Hz refresh rate.

Last edited:

I keep reading conflicting reports, and this one form just this week, sates 120hz for both Pixel phones;

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/...e-pixel-6-pro-vs-pixel-6-differences-compared

Display​

The Google Pixel 6 is said to be coming with a 6.4-inch display, which as we mentioned, is flat. It's claimed it will sport a Full HD+ resolution and a 120Hz refresh rate.
At 4:19 of this video, the graphic shows 90Hz, but the narrator says 120Hz. :ROFLMAO:

I keep reading conflicting reports, and this one from just this week, states 120hz for both Pixel phones;

Display​

To be honest rather 6 be a 90hz hd+ screen. Better battery life

To be honest rather 6 be a 90hz hd+ screen. Better battery life
Ideally they let you toggle between different modes to give you that option. But Google is less about options anymore and assumes everyone wants the same thing. 😏

I really hope Google ups their game in the display department.

The recent iPhone Pro's and Samsung Galaxy phones have great screens, very bright with deep blacks and colorful.

But Pixel phones have always had mediocre displays compared.

The LTPO screen for the Pro is surely a Samsung panel like the iPhone and Galaxy which means it should be comparable in quality. It's the regular 6 that's questionable which is why I'm waiting for reviews because I otherwise would've gone straight for its flat glass.

$599 is a great price if that's true. I can cover more than 1/2 that by selling my current phone. I'm definitely going to hammer the Google store during the reveal now. I don't want to get stuck with one of those weird peach-colored models, either. :p

That price is so good that I can't believe it until it's official. But it also means I won't get my Pixel 6 until forever. Maybe I'll hammer the store to order both and cancel the one I don't want.

I have not really been following, is the non-pro a decent step up from the 5a in hardware?

I have not really been following, is the non-pro a decent step up from the 5a in hardware?

It'll have the custom Google Tensor chip inside, which could/should lead to some interesting improvements with AI functionality. They've specifically mentioned translation a few times, which could be pretty helpful if you travel a lot. The cameras always get better, although how much that actually means is always up for debate. Personally, If I had a 5 or 5a, I'd wait for the next model.

They both have the same Google Tensor SoC which is closer to an SD888 than to the SD765G in the 5a.

The rumor is that it'll be 2x X1 + 2x A76 + 4x A55 vs the 1x X1 + 3x A78 + 4x A55 in the SD888. But that's a very strange configuration so take it with a grain of salt.

It also has a custom chip from Google which should hopefully be a better Pixel Visual Core.

Peak speeds should be immensely faster because of the X1's but those are also super power hungry. The dual-A76's, if true, would be very strange but it may be how Google is getting the silicon area for the X1's. It should be quite power efficient actually even though A78's are better in that area if you're willing to downclock.

GPU supposedly will be a Mali so it'll be just mediocre.

Thanks! I'm still hoping for one last OS update on my OP 6t, but if it doesn't happen soon I'm going to be in the market for a new phone for straight security reasons. But the 5a seems great but would still be a (I feel) noticeable step back in horsepower. Here's to hoping that Google knocks it out of the (mobile cpu) park on the first try!

https://www.phonearena.com/news/pixel-6-unboxing-video-reveals-box-contents_id135798
https://www.phonearena.com/news/pixel-6-pro-price-release-date-weight-revealed-by-amazon_id135777

I can't help but keep reading these sort of leaks even the day before the reveal. Supposedly the Pixel 6 Pro weighs 175 grams which is really great if true; in fact that would be light even for the regular Pixel 6 so it seems unbelievable. But that curved glass... Google if you had even made it 2.5d it'd be such a no-brainer for me.

Last edited:
Starting to wonder, if the regular Pixel 6 is $599, is it a budget type of phone, and not on par with the 6 Pro? Are there other features missing or lesser tech?

Starting to wonder, if the regular Pixel 6 is $599, is it a budget type of phone, and not on par with the 6 Pro? Are there other features missing or lesser tech?

Based on everything that has come out, kind of but not really. Definitely not a value device, but the pro has some advantages.
It's a bit smaller, will have less RAM (8 vs. 12), a lower refresh rate (90 vs. 120), slightly smaller battery (4600 vs. 5000), lower resolution front camera (8 vs. 12), and no telephoto lens. None of those things really matter that much IMO.

I think that if tests show the regular has the same (or dare I dream, better) battery life than the Pro, I'll be getting that. After comparing optical 2x on my wife's iPhone 11 Pro vs my Pixel 3a's digital 2x, Telephoto is pretty meaningless to me unless Google works some magic here.

Based on everything that has come out, kind of but not really. Definitely not a value device, but the pro has some advantages.
It's a bit smaller, will have less RAM (8 vs. 12), a lower refresh rate (90 vs. 120), slightly smaller battery (4600 vs. 5000), lower resolution front camera (8 vs. 12), and no telephoto lens. None of those things really matter that much IMO.

Only thing I wish the regular Pixel 6 had was the LPTO 120hz display, from what I've read the Pixel 6 will have a 90hz 1080p screen, and the Pixel 6 Pro pretty much the same screen tech as the iPhone 13 Pro line, manufactured by Samsung.

Does 12GB vs 8GB RAM make a real world difference in the UI smoothness?

Battery size doesn't matter as much, as the Pixel 6 will have a lower res screen, so that's a wash.

Front camera is meaningless to me.

Last edited:
Those prices are spreading like wildfire. I've seen a half dozen articles about them pop up in my news feed. These things might be a challenge to get now.

Back