Pixel 6 / Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6a

Google trade in, they are giving decent return on all pixels. I got $300 for each 3A, we'll see if that's what they award. I assume they'll come through, but one phone does have a scratched screen.
They're only offering $50 for our 3a now. :(

What phone are you trying to buy? I think the $300 only works for the 6a. I just checked it again, and the $300 trade in promo is still active.
I attempted with the 6a as well.
I haven't seen any promo though. I wonder if they only send it out to particular people?
They're also only offering $80 for my 4a.

I attempted with the 6a as well.
I haven't seen any promo though. I wonder if they only send it out to particular people?
They're also only offering $80 for my 4a.

Yeah, I'm not sure. I saw tech sites relating the $300 trade in, so I checked it out and got it. It sounded like it was universal (at least to US customers), but I guess not.

My wife's Pixel 5's screen is starting to separate from the phone itself. She plays mobile games constantly so I tend to think it's probably because of a constant flow of heat.
She's looking at the 6 and 6A as possible replacements. If there are decent trade-in options for phones that aren't in mint condition, I'd love to know about 'em.

They're only offering $50 for our 3a now. :(
Are you in the US? I am still seeing it at the google store, I just added a 6A to my cart and it is still an option.

2222.PNG

I'm gonna do some snooping around when I get home. Cause that's a damn good deal but I'm not seeing it on my end.

I'm gonna do some snooping around when I get home. Cause that's a damn good deal but I'm not seeing it on my end.
I did notice that when I tried in a different browser it tried to make me log in before selecting my trade in phone, so at minimum a google account was required up front, maybe try a different account.

I believe the trade in deal expired at the end of Wednesday. Long as you are in the US the deal should have been there.

Let us know your thoughts!

Ok...coming from a Pixel 5... Here are some thoughts:

1). Phone is only slightly larger. I avoided the P6/P6Pro due to the larger size. This is larger than I'd like, but still not huge.
2). The front fingerprint scanner is much worse than the capacitive rear sensor (but that might be my years of rear sensors coming into play and not the actual sensor itself). I've never had a front one, but I already don't like it as much as the rear :p. It seems to work fine though. Maybe a half second slower than the old capacitive rear one, and I'll probably get used to it.
3). Transferring phones was simple. Google has really gotten better at this lately. I didn't have to go hunting for anything other than passwords to log in to apps.
4). Quality control - iffy here. I have a very small piece of plastic that is wedged between the screen and the body from the manufacturing in the bottom right corner. Not noticeable with a case on it, but shouldn't have made it out of the factory that way. Not a big enough deal to send back.
5). Haptics, sound, etc. - no worse than the Pixel 5
6). 60Hz screen is definitely not as nice as the 90Hz one from the Pixel 5. I'm not super picky though like others are. I've been known to turn it down to 60Hz just to save battery before.
7). Wifi seems slightly faster than Pixel 5. Probably 150Mbps faster on a speedtest through my Wifi 6 router (I'd top out around 400Mbps on P5).
8). Software - For some reason they shipped the phone with a security update from April. I'm getting notices that the security updates are over 90 days old, so I tried to update it...no update available...

If I think of anything else I'll add it here.

Last edited:
Ex's came in today as well. Setup was easy, did not take long to mirror the 3a into the 6a and have her up and running.
Finger print sensor thus far works well on her device. Screen protector still on the way.

Reception seemed a bit oddly low for 5g in the house but was perfectly fine.
Device itself looks just fine. Between her old and new the screen looks a little crisper but no real issues and she didnt notice anything.
I have an S22 so I saw the difference but I came from a 5T and I have my 22 set to dynamically adjust to save power so /shrug.

Have not messed with the camera.
Her main complaint is the device is running hot.
She is not a power user outside of a lot of web surfing but nothing crazy.
We'll give it some time to get settled but if it stays baking likely will ship it back.

Overall happy with it at the moment. Design is nice and its functional. Fits well in the hand.

Ex's came in today as well. Setup was easy, did not take long to mirror the 3a into the 6a and have her up and running.
Finger print sensor thus far works well on her device. Screen protector still on the way.

Reception seemed a bit oddly low for 5g in the house but was perfectly fine.
Device itself looks just fine. Between her old and new the screen looks a little crisper but no real issues and she didnt notice anything.
I have an S22 so I saw the difference but I came from a 5T and I have my 22 set to dynamically adjust to save power so /shrug.

Have not messed with the camera.
Her main complaint is the device is running hot.
She is not a power user outside of a lot of web surfing but nothing crazy.
We'll give it some time to get settled but if it stays baking likely will ship it back.

Overall happy with it at the moment. Design is nice and its functional. Fits well in the hand.
I have been wandering around the pixel subreddit and people say to get rid of the temperatures, or at least get them under control, you need to reset the phone software when you get it.

Not sure why it works, but I guess it does. I found the phone was definitely hotter than previous phones, but you can only cram so many things into a small enclosure before dealing with heat. Won't he long now before phones have tiny fans in them, I think.

There's really only one thing that I am curious about. Does the 6a still have the so smooth that it's slick back? Because it is just unwise to use the regular 6 without a case, unless you want the phone to eject itself from any surface you place on it.

There's really only one thing that I am curious about. Does the 6a still have the so smooth that it's slick back? Because it is just unwise to use the regular 6 without a case, unless you want the phone to eject itself from any surface you place on it.

Yeah, it is a very smooth back even though its not the same material, so I'd probably get a case for it.

Mine ran hot until I got the setup done. Reboot the phone and it's normal now. Doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary for any Pixel phone I've set up recently.

I have been wandering around the pixel subreddit and people say to get rid of the temperatures, or at least get them under control, you need to reset the phone software when you get it.

Not sure why it works, but I guess it does. I found the phone was definitely hotter than previous phones, but you can only cram so many things into a small enclosure before dealing with heat. Won't he long now before phones have tiny fans in them, I think.

I let her know its likely going to run hot for a few days while it figures out what to sleep and close and everything updates and she finishes setting all her stuff up.
I've rebooted it about 5 or so times as I sync and configure stuff with it. End of day 2 and she said its cooler already. The main spot I think is due to the plastic back not dissipating off the CPU or battery discharge as well since its a very concentrated spot. When I was setting it up with her watch I noticed that spot mid towards the left side I think much warmer than others. Cooled off quickly once done copying everything back onto the watch.

I'm not too worried. If she noticed its cooler then she'll be fine with web browsing, texting and pictures.

How do I get the black text and black status bar with this stock wallpaper?

I"ve seen this photo a lot showing this Bloom wallpaper with the black font, but everytime I try it, the font is white still.

Attachments

• 20220730_131303.png
    20220730_131303.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 0
How do I get the black text and black status bar with this stock wallpaper?

I"ve seen this photo a lot showing this Bloom wallpaper with the black font, but everytime I try it, the font is white still.
Under "Wallpaper and Style" in settings you can choose the accent colors. By default it takes colors from the wallpaper but you can set them to whatever you want.

Screenshot_20220730-113708.png

Where's the font color setting? My At A Glance still shows white font, how do I get that and the status bar to be black font not white?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220730-133957.png
    Screenshot_20220730-133957.png
    650.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220730-134019.png
    Screenshot_20220730-134019.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Oh, that should be dark mode or not dark mode afaik. Dark mode has white font.

But change it from "wallpaper colors" to "basic colors" and see what's in there color wise.

My background changes every day at midnight so I just kinda let it do its thing for picking colors. It'll only be for 24 hours anyway.

Oh, that should be dark mode or not dark mode afaik. Dark mode has white font.

But change it from "wallpaper colors" to "basic colors" and see what's in there color wise.

My background changes every day at midnight so I just kinda let it do its thing for picking colors. It'll only be for 24 hours anyway.

Changing to dark or light mode on this Bloom wallpaper does not change the font away from always being white.

Very strange why it won't go black font?

Light mode vs Dark mode on this Bloom wallpaper, always shows white font. Ugh.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220730-140905.png
    Screenshot_20220730-140905.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220730-140918.png
    Screenshot_20220730-140918.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Setting this light wallpaper gives me the black font.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220730-155830.png
    Screenshot_20220730-155830.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 0
Got my wife a P6P and my son a P6 to replace their Note 9 and 3a XL respectively, both used/mint on here for $450 and $420 here in FSFT as well. Haven't received the P6 yet, but wife has been on the 6 Pro for a couple days now and been good so far other than mediocre battery life, which I kinda expected from reviews I've seen. But I was hoping updates would have improved it a bit.

My Pixel 5 definitely smokes it there and I like its size much better so I'm holding out for a reasonably sized Pixel 7 now. I still much prefer my rear FP scanner as well, not only for placement preference, but I use it constantly to swipe down my notifications shade.

Last edited:
Looks like Google is still allowing $300 trade-ins. Apparently it quotes different trade-in $'s at random? My wife's going with a normal P6 and doing a trade-in of her P5 with the wonky screen.

Looks like Google is still allowing $300 trade-ins. Apparently it quotes different trade-in $'s at random? My wife's going with a normal P6 and doing a trade-in of her P5 with the wonky screen.
I still am only offered up to $80 for my 4a and my partners 3a is only getting $50 =(

The final Android 12 security update is rolling out to the P6 right now. Assuming nobody finds anything catastrophic, the September update should be bundled with Android 13.

Phone Arena thinks the most recent Android 13 beta fixes the fingerprint scanner. Anyone here try it?

Considering the real deal is just around the corner, I'm giving it a shot right now. Will update if anything seems different.

EDIT: LOL, I probably should have read the part about the final version (or reverting out of the Beta) will reset my phone to the default settings. Luckily I had time to use the system backup option. I'll probably be in the middle of a Disney vacation when the final rolls out, so hopefully I haven't screwed myself over :p

Last edited:
Okay, so I just installed the last Android 13 Beta and now the fingerprint scanner is now SUPER fast. It's about as quick/responsive as any I've used. Things generally feel pretty snappy overall. Might be placebo, but things feel quicker. It could be because I'm using Nova, but the UI/UX is 99% the same is 12, though. I see a little power button available in the shade pulldown and an option to make the lockscreen look like it does when you get a notification. Those are the only visual difference I see so far.

Last edited:
Feels exactly the same to me on my p6p.

Considering the real deal is just around the corner, I'm giving it a shot right now. Will update if anything seems different.

EDIT: LOL, I probably should have read the part about the final version (or reverting out of the Beta) will reset my phone to the default settings. Luckily I had time to use the system backup option. I'll probably be in the middle of a Disney vacation when the final rolls out, so hopefully I haven't screwed myself over :p

Didn't know this. Fuck. I've installed betas before without this being the case. Fuck.

Edit: googled about it and this is what I found.

Screenshot_20220804-230707.png

Says I'll PROBABLY want to reset it, but doesn't say I have to.

Feels exactly the same to me on my p6p.

Didn't know this. Fuck. I've installed betas before without this being the case. Fuck.

Edit: googled about it and this is what I found.

View attachment 497993

Says I'll PROBABLY want to reset it, but doesn't say I have to.

In the official notes it mentioned that the final version would be coming over as a clean install and if you opt out it would do the same. I dunno. Since I'll almost assuredly be in Disney World when the final version hits, I'm preemptively opting out today and just re-loading my stuff onto a clean install of 12. The Google backup handles texts, calls, etc. and I have copies of all my music and videos on my PC. I figure it'll be easier while I'm at home/work. (EDIT: That took a while. Google's backup remembers some of your settings and apps, but only like 1/2. Thank god for Password Manager and "Sign in with Google/Facebook" though)

That said, I'm excited for Android 13 now. Not for any new features, but it just straight up makes my phone feel faster.

Last edited:
Okay, so I just installed the last Android 13 Beta and now the fingerprint scanner is now SUPER fast. It's about as quick/responsive as any I've used. Things generally feel pretty snappy overall. Might be placebo, but things feel quicker. It could be because I'm using Nova, but the UI/UX is 99% the same is 12, though. I see a little power button available in the shade pulldown and an option to make the lockscreen look like it does when you get a notification. Those are the only visual difference I see so far.
Are you using Nova with gesture nav or button nav? I'm assuming gesture nav is still broken using other launchers than the Pixel launcher, but hoping maybe Google threw us a bone on that (highly doubtful I know).

Back