Pixel 6 / Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6a

Finally replaced my P2XL with a P6Pro.

Noticably heavier
My god the finger print scanner sucks
Hate the new icons

We'll see if it really grows on me, but it doesn't have the initial awesome factor the P2XL did :/

That's funny because I never had an initial awesome factor with my P2XL. It got sent back the first day I had it for bad blue screen shift :p.

That's funny because I never had an initial awesome factor with my P2XL. It got sent back the first day I had it for bad blue screen shift :p.
This!! After returning my 2XL I stuck with my iPhone 8 Plus until the 3XL.

NOW I like my phone.

IMG_20220403_075543_2.jpg

Just out of curiosity, are people still recommending folks to use lotion on your finger if you can't get that POS FP scanner to work? #LotionGate #DryFingerGate

I was never really bothered by the fingerprint reader at first. But each new update makes it wonkier than the last.
I guess it's faster. However it also requires more attempts. If that makes sense.

Ironically, my old rear capacitive FPS works great on my Pixel 5. I still don't understand why they consider the new one that barely works a "feature" just because it's on the front.
The kicker is that there are in-screen fingerprint readers that work well... Google just didn't use one here. I suspect a better reader is priority number one for the Pixel 7.

On that note, I also went to a concert (first since the pandemic began!) this weekend, and Face ID with a mask was more consistently usable than the Pixel 6's sign-in! I still think the Pixel 6 is a nice phone in many respects, but I'd point people to the iPhone 13 family if they're looking for a relatively no-fuss experience.

The finger print reader is so bad I wonder if it isn't broken all together in this phone. 5 fingers, all for the same thumb, and it never worked by the third attempt. Reads the opposite hand index finger after 2 attempts. Seriously bad.

Any idea when the public beta's start up for Android 13 for us to download and install, over the air? I thought this month?

Simple wallpaper;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220408-211037.png
    Screenshot_20220408-211037.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220408-211201.png
    Screenshot_20220408-211201.png
    696.2 KB · Views: 0
Well that's nice to hear about the 6a. I best get my ducks in a row for that buy in.

As pointed out by Droid-Life, Google's next midrange phone, the Pixel 6a, has popped up at the FCC.
[...]
This year, Google's (virtual) I/O event is May 11, 2022, so that day is currently the odds-on favorite release date for the phone.
[...]
There are four different models at the FCC, with only one unit having mmWave functionality.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...wing-for-a-possible-google-i-o-launch-in-may/

What are the cliff notes on the 6A again?
Screen size? Refresh rate? Battery size? Memory?

What are the cliff notes on the 6A again?
Screen size? Refresh rate? Battery size? Memory?
Think 6 but with 6gb of ram and I think the camera sensor from the 5a. But same SOC. Not sure on screen size but it will be 1080p for sure. Not sure if they will remove wireless charging

I was never really bothered by the fingerprint reader at first. But each new update makes it wonkier than the last.
I guess it's faster. However it also requires more attempts. If that makes sense.
The funny thing is on my Ameritrade and Chase app it logs me in instantly. Unlock? Nope

It's the end of April, curious where the OTA Android 13 beta is? Developer preview 2 came out in mid March, and Google said the first downloadable beta for Android 13 would be ready next month.

As much as I'd like to give Android 13 a go, even the final version of Android 12 operated like a beta for 7 months. Since this is my only device, that's gonna be a hard pass. That said, I will be reading reports on what it changes and (hopefully) improves.

I've read that Android 13 developer preview 2 was super solid and stable. 13 is supposed to just be a more polished 12, nothing major changed, just fixes and minor things added on top of 12. Also cool is that Material You in 13 is supposed to have a bigger color gambit, more than just the lame pastel colors.

I'm going to install 13 beta tonight.

There is supposed to be an update for the Pixel 6 today, but my update check says no. Anybody got an update?

Installing the beta now, but holy cow this takes FOREVER.

Downloading is the fast part, but the Installing part takes soooo long... I'm shocked how long this is taking.

It's disappointing how un customizable this is compared to Samsung's theme options.
The white point isn't even adjustable.

Was hopeful Android 13's updated Material You color options would be way better. Nope, just slightly better, no true dark AMOLED theme, still pastel'ish colors, but more options, it's better, but just a bit better, not was I hoping for.

And before on certain light colored wallpapers, setting that would change the clock and app icons name font to black to be easier to see on a light wallpaper, but now it just stays white, making it hard to read the clock, the temp, and app icons names on my homescreen with a light color wallpaper.

So far this Android 13 beta, is a big meh, nothing exciting or much different at all. Themes are still super basic on a Pixel.

Will probably go back to 12 on next week's, May update.

That sucks, but for what it's worth AMOLEDS don't really save much energy with dark screens, it's a few percent tops from what I've seen. Mind you, I prefer dark mode in general also...

Never really worried about the miniscule power savings, but damn it's a SIN to use anything but 0 (OFF, black as in outer space) on ANY AMOLED display. Plus it just looks better. If I wanted fake grey look of LCD I'd have an IPS display FFS. :-P

Looking at a white background is just plain painful regardless of lighting. With 6" + displays on full white you have a better flashlight then using the camera LED LOL! Another thing I dislike is the silly looking icons for signal strength (both cellular and wifi). Apple and even Samsung looks much better. They really need to fix those and translate those over to carplay. An option to display signal in proper format (i.e. -dBm) would be best. ;-)

I'm not a fan of iOS but I will admit while I had my iPhone 12 Pro Max last year, the way it handles dark theme is the best.

It's truly black and all the apps are black, not some dark gray or midnight blue, but true AMOLED black. I wish Google would do the same.

No heating issues here on my 5a.
Two friends with the 5a who both have had constant issues with them. They didn't specify overheating but they say it's unstable and point to the software. The features of the 6 don't seem worth the extra cost except for most, at least to me.

Two friends with the 5a who both have had constant issues with them. They didn't specify overheating but they say it's unstable and point to the software. The features of the 6 don't seem worth the extra cost except for most, at least to me.

My wife's 5a's motherboard went belly up. Not sure what happened, but at least it was covered under warranty (sort of). Honestly, I just bought her a Samsung A53 because it has 4 years of security updates and is still a decent midrange phone. I don't know that I'd recommend the 5a at this point unless you were getting a deal.

Mine is downloading now! First time I've gotten the monthly update before the 5th. (y)

My wife's 5a's motherboard went belly up. Not sure what happened, but at least it was covered under warranty (sort of). Honestly, I just bought her a Samsung A53 because it has 4 years of security updates and is still a decent midrange phone. I don't know that I'd recommend the 5a at this point unless you were getting a deal.
Better just to wait for the 6a

Back