Pixel 6 / Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6a

Anyone else on T-Mobile with a Pixel 6 pro having issues with 5G/LTE access? I lose all network access as soon as I disconnect from wifi. It's gotten to the point where I need to carry a hotspot for any kind for internet access, I'm running the latest Android patch, everything was smooth until January patch and has been all downhill from there, can't call, no text, zero network access, rebooting the phone does absolutely nothing to fix the issue, done a network setting reset (wipe out all BT, wifi, network settings) didn't solve anything. I'm about to through the phone out the window :cautious::cry:

Anyone else on T-Mobile with a Pixel 6 pro having issues with 5G/LTE access? I lose all network access as soon as I disconnect from wifi. It's gotten to the point where I need to carry a hotspot for any kind for internet access, I'm running the latest Android patch, everything was smooth until January patch and has been all downhill from there, can't call, no text, zero network access, rebooting the phone does absolutely nothing to fix the issue, done a network setting reset (wipe out all BT, wifi, network settings) didn't solve anything. I'm about to through the phone out the window :cautious::cry:
Sounds like you were negitivity impacted by the patch that was supposed to fix things. Factory reset? Are you using esim with TMO?

Sounds like you were negitivity impacted by the patch that was supposed to fix things. Factory reset? Are you using esim with TMO?
Regular sim card the one T-Mobile shipped with the smartphone; factory reset is the last solution I still can't believe how bad the phone network access is with this phone, is not even about coverage the phone will practically go from 5G to zero coverage and just loops nonstop until I connect to wifi it doesn't matter where I am.

Regular sim card the one T-Mobile shipped with the smartphone; factory reset is the last solution I still can't believe how bad the phone network access is with this phone, is not even about coverage the phone will practically go from 5G to zero coverage and just loops nonstop until I connect to wifi it doesn't matter where I am.
Try switching to E-SIM

Just bougth a Pixel 6. Tmobile gave me a decent deal since Ive been a customer for like 14 years. If I dont like it then Ill just sell it and make a hundo on the used market and then buy a used Oneplus 9.

While weight isn't the ultimate deciding factor, I'd say it still matters to me. having a giant lead weight in your pocket during shorts season is miserable. I still have flashbacks to a Disney World/Universal trip with a Moto X a few years ago.

I'm still thinking that folding phones will truly hit the mainstream in the next 18 months. Sooner if Apple makes one...but I don't see them doing that yet. The Sammy models are getting better and they ARE still light.

Anyone ever have an issue with the display refusing to work on the 6a? I took it to a ubreakifix store, and they are replacing the motherboard under warranty. They tried two different displays and the problem isn't the display.

They finally fixed "At a Glance" !!! When you tap the date, it takes you to the calendar app. When you tap the weather, it takes you to the weather app. When you tap an event, it opens the correct corresponding app. I might actually consider going back to the Pixel launcher (rather than Nova), finally. It still lacks the custom functionality, but that was a major deal breaker for me.

EDIT: Of note, I'm also noticing lots of weird sparkly transitions that weren't there before. Apps seem to be opening a little slower, too. Might just be an "optimizing" thing that will pass, but it's noticeable. Normally I never even see the fullscreen app icon effect when apps open. I now see it for everything.

Last edited:
You mean apps open but are something like fullscreen windowed?

When an app opens, their icon basically fills the screen for a second. Like a transition effect. Before this update, that effect was so fast you might not even notice it. Not now. It lingers for a second.

When an app opens, their icon basically fills the screen for a second. Like a transition effect. Before this update, that effect was so fast you might not even notice it. Not now. It lingers for a second.
I am seeing the same on my 3a. It's almost like an 'iris in' effect as the app slows to show it filling the screen.

I don't have that transition weirdness when opening an app on my 4a, but I also use developer settings to shorten animations to .5 or even turn them off, so that's probably why.

The "sparkly" thing definitely happens whenever you plug it in.

What I dislike is the little "shake" that app icons do whenever you close them.

Changed my home screen wallpaper for the first time in at least 5 years. Set Nova so the dock displays/hides when I double tap the screen.

623152_Screenshot_20220321-185110.png

This update seems to have done lots of little things. Not necessarily bad or good, just little touches.

In addition to my apps having the icon "splash screen" (or whatever you want to call it), there are sparkle effects that appear much more (as though you were charging the device), and my vibration is different, too. I can't really tell if the vibration is weaker, quicker, or even just with a different cadence, but it's not the same as it was. Audibly, it sounds deeper and more bass-y. Since this was the update to Android 12L (or 12.1 or whatever they ended up calling it), it's not too much of a shock that they made some tweaks. IMO, finally fixing "At a Glance" = a bigger deal than any of these things.

This update seems to have done lots of little things. Not necessarily bad or good, just little touches.

In addition to my apps having the icon "splash screen" (or whatever you want to call it), there are sparkle effects that appear much more (as though you were charging the device), and my vibration is different, too. I can't really tell if the vibration is weaker, quicker, or even just with a different cadence, but it's not the same as it was. Audibly, it sounds deeper and more bass-y. Since this was the update to Android 12L (or 12.1 or whatever they ended up calling it), it's not too much of a shock that they made some tweaks. IMO, finally fixing "At a Glance" = a bigger deal than any of these things.

Yes I agree, lots of minor changes and little things with this March update. Was this what they call a "feature update" ? I have to say I am loving my Pixel 6 Pro.

I've gotten used to the other stuff, but I'm not a fan of the new vibration. It's flat-out weaker, even with vibration cranked to the max. I usually have my phone in my pocket or on my desk next to me and I can barely feel it vibrate in either location. I don't notice about 1/2 the time. There's a big ass Reddit thread about it, but Google is shutting down mentions of it in their own bug reports. Seems it might be a feature ("better haptic feedback") and could even be app specific. Whatever it is, I hope they allow us to turn it up in the future.

I find that i get used to the vibration in a fairly short amount of time. I wish it could be set to random pattern, but until then I just move pockets every now and then.

I just found out the hard way that the 5a has two different motherboards. I had my unlocked 5a motherboard replaced under warranty, AND the replacement part from Google is the Google Fi version of the motherboard. Well, guess what? The Google Fi version isn't whitelisted by Verizon, so any Verizon plan or Verizon based MVNO won't work with the phone. So my warranty replacement motherboard is useless. Now I have to try to get ANOTHER warranty replacement directly from Google and hope they put in the correct motherboard so I can use it.

PSA: The Google Fi version of the Pixels are NOT compatible with Verizon even if they are technically compatible. Watch out for future purchases if you need Verizon compatibility.

Last edited:
I just found out the hard way that the 5a has two different motherboards. I had my unlocked 5a motherboard replaced under warranty, AND the replacement part from Google is the Google Fi version of the motherboard. Well, guess what? The Google Fi version isn't whitelisted by Verizon, so any Verizon plan or Verizon based MVNO won't work with the phone. So my warranty replacement motherboard is useless. Now I have to try to get ANOTHER warranty replacement directly from Google and hope they put in the correct motherboard so I can use it.

PSA: The Google Fi version of the Pixels are NOT compatible with Verizon even if they are technically compatible. Watch out for future purchases if you need Verizon compatibility.

That really sucks. In general, this latest round of Pixel hardware has been weird. The unlocked versions of the Pixel 6 have a blank space where the mmWave antenna should be and you really have to dig around to find out which versions will worth with which providers. You can't just hop around with Verizon/AT&T with those, either.

But disappointed Google will not unlock c-band on the 5a. To be fair I don't consume alot of data. Mostly AA auto and Pandora

So many people complaining about the fingerprint scanner. I've owned this phone since launch, and deleted the fps on the second day, haven't used it since 6 months ago.

My Pixel 6 Pro is amazing. Zero complaints, except just wishing it had a flat screen like the iPhone 13 Pro Max.

My S10 charge port is finally starting to go. Looking at the pixel 6 pro as the replacement. Just need to go check bands and make sure it will work both in US (AT&T) and Germany (T kom)

So many people complaining about the fingerprint scanner. I've owned this phone since launch, and deleted the fps on the second day, haven't used it since 6 months ago.

My Pixel 6 Pro is amazing. Zero complaints, except just wishing it had a flat screen like the iPhone 13 Pro Max.
Deleted the fingerprint scanner? Are you using a pin to unlock or am I misreading that?

As much as I've complained about the scanner, the last 2 updates have dramatically improved its performance. Still wish it was on the back of the phone, though. My 3XL scanner was superb!

The scanner doesn't bug me. It works roughly the same as the Galaxy S20, which got minimal flack for some reason. At this point I'm pretty happy with my P6. I wish the older vibration would be an option again, but that's not the end of the world. Well, that an I wish I had one of the mmWave models, but that's also pretty minor. I don't think there are (m)any mmWave locations in my area and by the time there are, the Pixel 7 or fold should be available.

So funny to me that everyone here loves their phone. I hate mine:cat: and I've always had a pixel.

is it the weight or clunky OS?

tho are my current two issues with buying one

Coming to the P6 from a P2, my issues are:
  • The weight (why, glass bodies, why?! They're heavy and fragile).
  • The fingerprint scanner that can't be found without looking at the phone (speed and accuracy is about the same as the P2's IME).
  • The pronounced camera bump (not as bad as photos make it look, and a case will smooth out the back some, but still far worse than flagship models most from others).
  • Delayed updates are starting to become a concern.
Otherwise, I'm happy with the unit. Not sure about the "clunky OS" comment. Unless you go to an iPhone (with its own quirks) Android on Pixel is the smoothest you're going to get.

I still feel like Android 12 is unfinished and the implementation of things like folders, animations, the app drawer, etc. are better in Nova (which is mostly based on Android 10 and 11) than the Android 12 that the Pixel 6's have. I can't think of anything Android 12 does better than 11, and even the unified icon thing only barely works with Google's own apps.
If there was a way to truly get rid of Samsung's apps, an S21 running Nova with Google's own system apps would be the ideal Android experience IMO.

Nova is just a UI replacement, not an OS (unless I'm wrong, of course), not that it can't fix all that appearance stuff.

Nova is just a UI replacement, not an OS (unless I'm wrong, of course), not that it can't fix all that appearance stuff.

Yup, it is. Just a launcher/skin. It changes how things look and work on the surface, but it doesn't change the core OS. There are also some things it doesn't/can't change, too.

I still feel like Android 12 is unfinished and the implementation of things like folders, animations, the app drawer, etc. are better in Nova (which is mostly based on Android 10 and 11) than the Android 12 that the Pixel 6's have. I can't think of anything Android 12 does better than 11, and even the unified icon thing only barely works with Google's own apps.
If there was a way to truly get rid of Samsung's apps, an S21 running Nova with Google's own system apps would be the ideal Android experience IMO.

Right this is what i meant by "clunky OS"

Six months after release, its still too much of mess to have ever been released.

I'm also running a Pixel 2 - the price is excellent, but the bulk + camera bump + Alpha-quality OS kill my interest!

I've acquired a Pixel 6 for 'side' duties. Not new by any means, but I suspect I might be the only one here who has both that and the latest iPhone (the 13 Pro) to compare against.

I have yet to use the phone enough to see how well the March update fares, but my was the fingerprint reader sketchy before that. Not so bad that I'd hate the phone... just enough to make me yearn for the reliability of Face ID, especially now that it supports masks.

I generally like the Pixel beyond that, although it clearly has some of the polish it desperately needed a few months ago. The 90Hz 1080p screen isn't as nice as on the iPhone 13 Pro. It's more than enough, though, and I certainly wouldn't splurge on the Pixel 6 Pro just to get a 120Hz refresh rate. I'd say 6.4 inches is right on the edge of the size I'm comfortable with, as it is. I wish it was wider, though, as the stock keyboard feels slightly cramped.

Android 12 isn't perfect. It still suffers from Android's "guess what happens when you hit 'back'" unpredictability, and there are odd decisions like burying quick access to full settings in the expanded notification bar (what's the point of a quick access button if you need multiple steps to use it?). But, coming from it as an iPhone user, I'd say it's a big step in an important direction — it feels more cohesive, fluid and friendly, like it was designed for everyday people instead of enthusiasts. You'll get some of that with custom UIs from rivals, of course... nonetheless, it's nice to see 'pure' Android make that shift.

A couple of smaller notes:

- I haven't had many chances to try the cameras yet, but I know what to expect: great overall, wish you didn't need a Pro to get a telephoto lens, iPhone still rules the video roost.
- My wife thinks it's ugly. I don't mind it and like that it's at least instantly recognizable, but I can understand where she's coming from. The "visor" on the back isn't exactly subtle.

Finally replaced my P2XL with a P6Pro.

Noticably heavier
My god the finger print scanner sucks
Hate the new icons

We'll see if it really grows on me, but it doesn't have the initial awesome factor the P2XL did :/

Back