Pixel 6 / Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6a

I just hate how the At a Glance section is just an invisible shortcut to the weather app 90% of the time. It takes up a full line on the phone even though it's 1/2 empty, too. It's a step backward and there's nothing out of the box you can do about it. That's wack.

I don't think there's a perfect solution. Several OEM Android phones don't integrate Google's apps all that well, either. Samsung is a prime example, and they're the one that's selling the most Android phones by far. I have to setup iPhones/iPads for salespeople at work and I generally find their apps to be better/polished, but also very much take-it-or-leave-it with the UI and options. Then again, Google's own Android apps are kinda similar. If anything, things have never been more similar. I remember trying to use Android after coming from iOS about a decade ago and it was night/day different.

The article isn't very persuasive, to be honest. It boils down to "diehard Android user tries iPhone, decides he still likes Android." There are some points, but he's playing up some perceived faults while downplaying others from Android. And really, he's not earning much sympathy when two of the sideloaded apps he most wants to run are a YouTube ad blocker and an emulator, both of which are ethically dodgy at best.

That and he seems to gloss over the very reason people buy iPhones. Even if they're not the best at absolutely everything, they're good at so many things that they don't let you down. Take cameras, for instance. Even on a Pixel 6 Pro, you still have to deal with inconsistent camera performance. This lens is great, this one kinda sucks; most photo modes are great, but some of them suck; video generally lags behind the iPhone. The Apple user won't always have the best shot, but they'll never sit there wishing their phone was much better at a certain kind of shot.

That and he seems to gloss over the very reason people buy iPhones. Even if they're not the best at absolutely everything, they're good at so many things that they don't let you down. Take cameras, for instance.

I have to agree with this statement.

iPhone and iOS have their issues but the sum of the parts in total provides a very good user experience. Things just work.

I went full time to an iPhone with the 12 Pro Max and continue to use it this year as I did not see anything in the 13 series that was a huge improvement.

I took a hard look at the Pixel 6/Pro but stuck with my 12 PM. My oldest son bought the Pixel 6 and he is enjoying it as it replaced my old OnePlus 5 that he had been using.

The article isn't very persuasive, to be honest. It boils down to "diehard Android user tries iPhone, decides he still likes Android." There are some points, but he's playing up some perceived faults while downplaying others from Android. And really, he's not earning much sympathy when two of the sideloaded apps he most wants to run are a YouTube ad blocker and an emulator, both of which are ethically dodgy at best.

That and he seems to gloss over the very reason people buy iPhones. Even if they're not the best at absolutely everything, they're good at so many things that they don't let you down. Take cameras, for instance. Even on a Pixel 6 Pro, you still have to deal with inconsistent camera performance. This lens is great, this one kinda sucks; most photo modes are great, but some of them suck; video generally lags behind the iPhone. The Apple user won't always have the best shot, but they'll never sit there wishing their phone was much better at a certain kind of shot.
An issue with most of these "comparative" uses is the lack of time needed. I've used both iPhones and Android and each time I switch I'm annoyed immediately that things aren't even same as I'm used to. Luckily I am able to tell myself this, and I give it some time.

If these guys spent a month using any phone, especially flagship phones, they would be perfectly happy with it. Spending a few days of a week? Not enough time to get over the expected feel.

An issue with most of these "comparative" uses is the lack of time needed. I've used both iPhones and Android and each time I switch I'm annoyed immediately that things aren't even same as I'm used to. Luckily I am able to tell myself this, and I give it some time.

If these guys spent a month using any phone, especially flagship phones, they would be perfectly happy with it. Spending a few days of a week? Not enough time to get over the expected feel.
It sounds like this guy gave the iPhone enough time, but that his expectations were such that he was never going to let himself like it. "It has very well-rounded hardware, the apps are stronger than their Android equivalents and it's supremely reliable, but I can't tinker with niche apps or steal money from creators, so it sucks."

It sounds like this guy gave the iPhone enough time, but that his expectations were such that he was never going to let himself like it. "It has very well-rounded hardware, the apps are stronger than their Android equivalents and it's supremely reliable, but I can't tinker with niche apps or steal money from creators, so it sucks."
lol, I give up then ;)

I liked Apple. You had a bit less control, but after about a week of playing with the "cool new settings" of an android phone, I just let the apps go where ever and do whatever. The last time I used iOS you couldn't use a different browser, just safari, I think. It was a huge irritation for me, but maybe that has been solved.

lol, I give up then ;)

I liked Apple. You had a bit less control, but after about a week of playing with the "cool new settings" of an android phone, I just let the apps go where ever and do whatever. The last time I used iOS you couldn't use a different browser, just safari, I think. It was a huge irritation for me, but maybe that has been solved.
Alternative browsers have been available for a long time, but you couldn't change the default browser until iOS 14. Other browsers still have to use WebKit (ostensibly for security reasons), but if you'd rather sync your Chrome tabs or prefer Firefox's approach to privacy, you can make it happen. That and Safari itself has improved over time. I haven't felt an urge to switch away myself.

Alternative browsers have been available for a long time, but you couldn't change the default browser until iOS 14. Other browsers still have to use WebKit (ostensibly for security reasons), but if you'd rather sync your Chrome tabs or prefer Firefox's approach to privacy, you can make it happen. That and Safari itself has improved over time. I haven't felt an urge to switch away myself.
That's actually one of the worst things about iOS. All browsers are basically a skin on safari. So there's no real point to switch to another default browser. Also safari is like the only one that allows certain add-ons. So even feature wise, safari is the best browser to get.

I want to true alternative browser solution.

That's actually one of the worst things about iOS. All browsers are basically a skin on safari. So there's no real point to switch to another default browser. Also safari is like the only one that allows certain add-ons. So even feature wise, safari is the best browser to get.

I want to true alternative browser solution.
I agree it would be good to let other browsers have their own engines. While the current situation does allow for some UI and feature differences, part of the allure of a third-party browser is knowing that it might handle a site differently. I'm just not in a huge rush to get 'true' Chrome or Firefox.

One thing I will add to the Apple/Pixel debate is the low end phones. I've used the "A" series Pixels for a while. I switched to an iPhone SE2 for about a month because I got a good deal on it. I was less than impressed and went back to a Pixel "A." I get it that the processor is not as fast as the one in the iPhone SE2, but the battery life was significantly better. I couldn't go a whole day on a brand new SE2, but I could on a year old 4A. Most of my other "issues" were personal preference and lack of familiarity with iOS.

Personally, I think my next phone will be the 6A.

Anyone else finding the fingerprint scanner being much more responsive and less prone to false rejections with the latest updates installed? I updated a few days ago and it seems much better now.

On the downside, adaptive brightness is even wonkier since the update.

One thing I will add to the Apple/Pixel debate is the low end phones. I've used the "A" series Pixels for a while. I switched to an iPhone SE2 for about a month because I got a good deal on it. I was less than impressed and went back to a Pixel "A." I get it that the processor is not as fast as the one in the iPhone SE2, but the battery life was significantly better. I couldn't go a whole day on a brand new SE2, but I could on a year old 4A. Most of my other "issues" were personal preference and lack of familiarity with iOS.

Personally, I think my next phone will be the 6A.
Can't entirely disagree. The iPhone SE is very fast and has the advantages of Apple's ecosystem and OS update policy, but it's still a warmed-over iPhone 8. The Pixel 4a and 5a are considerably newer designs. I'd really like to see Apple make a thoroughly modern SE, even if it's really just a refreshed iPhone XR.

Got my update on both phones last night. Nice :)

So I have both the Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 6, and mainly use the 6 Pro mostly as my daily driver, but I do like the more compact size and FLAT screen of the Pixel 6. But when I use the 6 Pro all day and then go back to the regular Pixel 6, couple things are noticeable right off the bat every time;

- Haptic vibration is nowhere even close to as good on the 6 compared to the 6 Pro, it's night and day better on the 6 Pro, makes the 6 Pro feel more premium or as good as an iPhone, and the regular 6 feels weak and cheap almost with the lesser vibration.

- 120hz refresh rate. Not sure what it is exactly, but scrolling in apps, or just moving around the Android UI and home screens or opening and closing apps, etc... The Pixel 6 Pro is just more fluid, smoother, less to no little lag whatsoever, where the regular Pixel 6 does have a slight skip or minor hiccup here and there, or feels a little choppy or slightly laggy at times, but just for a split second though.

I wish Google would have made both phones with the exact same hardware and build, like the 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max are extremely similar to each other

1644495773633.jpeg

[Exclusive] Google Pixel 6a renders reveal punch-hole display, Pixel 6-like rear camera design, and more - 91Mobiles

Pixel 6a dummy unit is a chip off the old (aluminum) block - Android Police

Last edited:
The 6a doesn't look that much lighter than the existing beefcake - the camera bump is still there, wasting space!

Looks like s22 is my only option for supportrd phone this gen (with normal phone dimnensions/weight)?

The 6a doesn't look that much lighter than the existing beefcake - the camera bump is still there, wasting space!

Looks like s22 is my only option for supportrd phone this gen (with normal phone dimnensions/weight)?

For me the weight is almost irrelevant. It's the height that matters. The 6a is probably on the large end of what I like to use. Current phone is a Pixel 5.

Having owned both my Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 6 almost 4 months now, there's zero new phone out or coming I would even thinking of trading my 6 Pro for. My Pixel 6 Pro has been near flawless, and just so smooth, and fluid fast, with great battery life, and no major bugs. As far as Android phones go the 6 Pro is the top dog, and the way pure stock vanilla Android is meant to be.

I suppose 2022 only has one good phone due out, the Pixel 7 Pro. LOL Or maybe that Essential 2 phone.

I am definitely eyeballing May for that Pixel 6a, but if that's nothing too impressive or better price wise it'll be goodbye 3a, hello 6.

Is the 6a going to have the same cpu as the 6 / 6Pro?

That would make it difficult to cut down the price on what is usually a budget line.

I'd expect the SoC will still be branded as "Tensor", but with one or zero X1 cores offset with additional A76 cores, probably running a bit slower, a lesser GPU, and less RAM.

The 6a will carry the same chipset with older camera optics from the 5/5a and some other cuts to get price down. The 6a will replace the 5a 5g down the line

I would love if they cut the price by reusing the old rear fingerprint sensor ;).
I think about going back to the 5a I had almost every single day. The FPS on the 6 is so bad it has made it the worst smartphone I've ever used. This is on the February patch and with the $45 Zagg screen protector that was recommended by Google installed.

I know the FPS works way better without the protector, and if I hadn't spent $50 on the Zagg(because Google said I should!) I'd probably peel it off even though I've never had a new phone and was all excited to have a perfect condition phone forever.

I think about going back to the 5a I had almost every single day. The FPS on the 6 is so bad it has made it the worst smartphone I've ever used. This is on the February patch and with the $45 Zagg screen protector that was recommended by Google installed.

I know the FPS works way better without the protector, and if I hadn't spent $50 on the Zagg(because Google said I should!) I'd probably peel it off even though I've never had a new phone and was all excited to have a perfect condition phone forever.
I love my 5a. Battery life and enough performance for my needs. Plus its durable with a simple case and cheap Screen Protector.

My Wife has the Pixel 5a, and it is a bit laggy and choppy, the 60hz screen and lesser hardware specs make it feel rather poor for performance, not smooth not fluid. Where my Pixel 6 Pro is SUPER FAST very SMOOTH.

The fingerprint scanner, I disabled that shit the first week, and went back to the pin to unlock.

My observations, I bought all 3 new Pixel phones last year;

-Pixel 5a
-Pixel 6 Pro
-Pixel 6

Hands down, no question, the 6 Pro is the smoothest most fluid phone of the three, not even a competition, the 6 Pro is the clear king with zero lag, no hiccups, etc...

The 5a, is the opposite, it's actually laggy and choppy, I gave that to my Wife, and when I play around with it, the 5a feels like a old phone, with poor performance.

The regular Pixel 6 is in the middle, it's an ok phone, but not amazing, the 6 Pro is clearly smoother and faster feeling. The regular 6 feels a bit underwhelming with the haptics being weak, and the refresh rate is a noticeable difference between the 6 Pro's. I wish Google would have given the Pixel 6 the exact same hardware as the Pixel 6 Pro.

Just my quick impressions.

I definitely wish the Pixel 6 Pro wasn't so damn big or they made the normal model have the same specs. I've never liked having to weigh size vs. horsepower, but that seems to be the way of the world with Android devices. Luckily, good foldable devices are finally available with more on the way. I'm fine with a giant screen as long as it still fits in my pocket.

I definitely wish the Pixel 6 Pro wasn't so damn big or they made the normal model have the same specs. I've never liked having to weigh size vs. horsepower, but that seems to be the way of the world with Android devices. Luckily, good foldable devices are finally available with more on the way. I'm fine with a giant screen as long as it still fits in my pocket.
That's one of the things I appreciate about Apple's current strategy: a 6.1-inch iPhone 13 Pro is about as powerful as the Pro Max, just with a smaller screen and battery. I just wish Apple would translate that to Macs... I would love a 16-inch MacBook Air instead of having to step up to the MacBook Pro.

Back