Pixel 6 / Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6a

Seems that the early reports of a January 3rd patch are now saying "by late January," so there probably won't be anything new this week.

I'm really losing faith in Google. They can't even push out updates correctly or on time. They always make stupid hardware choices or mess something up. First they hyped up Tensor, but it's just meh, then they pick a mediocre optical finger scanner. I'll most likely be selling my Pixel 6 pro for the S22 plus or ultra when it comes out around February.
Not blaming you. Really glad I stuck to my guns and got the 5a 5g. Hopefully Google works things out for next gen. Gonna miss the rear FPS when I need an upgrade

Hopefully the P6 updates won't be permanently running weeks behind the other devices. I get that this is atypical, but it isn't a good sign.

Whatever was in the December update was bad enough that Google yanked all of the OTA images of it, too. It's now like it never existed...yet I somehow have it and my phone is (mostly) working.

I'm not surprised. Google always finds a way to either not deliver, screw something up, or not fix something. They can't even push instant OS updates that Pixel's are known for. They don't have that 6 month OS advantage they had over Samsung which is barely a month now. Samsung always delivers the best hardware and always bakes in more features than Google ever can. Google ends up just copying stuff that Samsung has had for at least a year. The pixel feels like it's in constant beta buggy test mode. I can't wait to get the S22 ultra. This is just my opinion. I'm not a fan boy of pixel or Samsung. Others may feel differently then me. If someone wants to take my unlocked Pixel 6 Pro 512gb off my hands when I switch let me know and I'll reach out to you.

I wouldn't trade in my daughters Pixel 3 XL for a Scamdung I mean Samesuck, I mean Samsung Galaxy S22, all the bloat, unneeded duplicate apps, no screen calls that the Pixel's are known for and all the special sauce stock Android comes with nowadays.

If I didn't go Pixel, I would go iPhone Pro Max.

But that's only my opinion.

I wouldn't trade in my daughters Pixel 3 XL for a Scamdung I mean Samesuck, I mean Samsung Galaxy S22, all the bloat, unneeded duplicate apps, no screen calls that the Pixel's are known for and all the special sauce stock Android comes with nowadays.

If I didn't go Pixel, I would go iPhone Pro Max.

But that's only my opinion.
I've used many Nexus/pixels as well as many. galaxy phones so I generally know how both run. I don't necessarily consider the duplicate similar Samsung apps bloatware, but more options to choose from. In some cases I like Samsung's app better than Google's and vice versa so I set what ones I like as default.

After lots of trial and error with lots of different phones, I'm strictly a Pixel guy for Android. I expect to switch to the iPhone 14 in the fall. I'm not displeased with Android. I just like to change it up every few years.

Some news on the January update: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/143968432/google-pixel-update-january-2022?hl=en

We P6 owners have to wait until later this month.

Agreed.

I'm very satisfied with my 6 Pro, but the iPhone 14 Pro Max tempts me, if they ditch the notch and go with the rumored pill shaped whole punch. And I would love to see iOS 16 add AoD ( Always on Display ) and allow app icon theming.

Attachments

• FIKUWfGXoAEXdF4.jpeg
    FIKUWfGXoAEXdF4.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 9
Agreed.

I'm very satisfied with my 6 Pro, but the iPhone 14 Pro Max tempts me, if they ditch the notch and go with the rumored pill shaped whole punch. And I would love to see iOS 16 add AoD ( Always on Display ) and allow app icon theming.
So, you stuck with the Pro? How are adapting to the dreaded curved screen? That was the deal-breaker for me and I really tried to make myself like it. :ROFLMAO:

Anyone experiencing lag when trying to use the navigation menu buttons at the bottom? It seems to happen pretty often. It registers what I'm doing but there is a big delay like 3-5 seconds. Then it loads up recent apps it sometimes doesn't display any other apps at all.

So, you stuck with the Pro? How are adapting to the dreaded curved screen? That was the deal-breaker for me and I really tried to make myself like it. :ROFLMAO:

I still have my the Pixel 6 too, and will be selling one soon, but having such a hard time deciding, I love the higher quality of the 6 Pro, with the fluid 120hz display, and it being brighter and deep blacks with the a great OLED screen, and the display is larger I like this size. But yeah the curved edge display sucks, not a fan before, and still not a fan, I want a FLAT display like the current iPhone's. But using the regular Pixel 6, it does feel a little be lesser, the refresh rate difference is noticeable to me, and the bezels look thicker for some reason, and the screen tech just isn't as nice as the 6 Pro's, but I like overall size of the phone, feels comfortable and more one handed

Anyone experiencing lag when trying to use the navigation menu buttons at the bottom? It seems to happen pretty often. It registers what I'm doing but there is a big delay like 3-5 seconds. Then it loads up recent apps it sometimes doesn't display any other apps at all.
Yet another example the Pixel feels like its always in beta version software. We are all the ongoing test group to find all the constant bugs and flaws.

I can't think of a single Samsung app that's even on par with Google's equivalent apps. Well, other than OneUI itself, which isn't that bad. Most Sammy system apps are actually based on really old Google apps that forked off in their own direction. Calendar, Clock, Dialer, etc. Someday maybe they'll eventually base their apps off Google's versions from 2017+ so they don't feel so dated and disjointed from the rest of the OS. I'll take Google's quirks (which have been minimal for me) vs. ever having to deal with Sammy again. If Google stops making phones, I'll just go back to Apple. Supposedly iDevice Manager works as a halfway decent way around iTunes now.

I can't think of a single Samsung app that's even on par with Google's equivalent apps. Well, other than OneUI itself, which isn't that bad. Most Sammy system apps are actually based on really old Google apps that forked off in their own direction. Calendar, Clock, Dialer, etc. Someday maybe they'll eventually base their apps off Google's versions from 2017+ so they don't feel so dated and disjointed from the rest of the OS. I'll take Google's quirks (which have been minimal for me) vs. ever having to deal with Sammy again. If Google stops making phones, I'll just go back to Apple. Supposedly iDevice Manager works as a halfway decent way around iTunes now.

Totally agree.

You can still use all of Google's apps on Samsung, at least all the main ones. This is all subjective, but I feel like Samsung puts in way more features than Google ever would. Some of the features Gimmicky, but many of them are nice and make Pixel's UI feel plain at times.

Google's apps definitely work fine on Samsung devices, there's just no way to get rid of or totally replace the baked-in ones. Their system apps eat up close to 10GB more than the exact same apps installed on a Pixel if you use Google's instead. On my S20 I spent a lot of time burying the various Samsung apps and tricking the system to use Google's by default instead. If you get creative (and use something like Nova Launcher), you can almost pull it off. At least until a system update undoes your work. Samsung seriously needs to hire some UI/UX people and base their system apps off of a Google branch from the last few years. They have options galore, but they're ugly as hell and clumsy to use.

It'll be interesting to see when the January update rolls out and if it fixes most woes or causes new ones. With Google's usual schedule, I'm betting on 1/25.

I wish they'd stop the silly Pixel stuff and give us the Nexus line again. Just stock android. Best phones I've ever had were both Nexus (Galaxy and Essential). Admittedly Essential wasn't officially Nexus, but there almost no essential apps (camera and modem drivers, if I remember).

I wish they'd stop the silly Pixel stuff and give us the Nexus line again. Just stock android. Best phones I've ever had were both Nexus (Galaxy and Essential). Admittedly Essential wasn't officially Nexus, but there almost no essential apps (camera and modem drivers, if I remember).

I suspect that ship sailed a long time ago. Nexus phones were intended as Android reference devices to help implement new features, and they came at a time when Google didn't have many services to promote. These days, Android has few blockbuster feature additions and is as much a vehicle for Assistant, Drive and media services as anything else.

With that said: it's hard not to get a bit nostalgic for my Galaxy Nexus. Got a European unlocked model (and an iPhone 4S, since I'm that kind of guy) and it both felt like a special moment in Android as well as a unique design with that ever-so-gently curved display.

My 2 problems with my P6 are the slow FPS which I must admit has improved a bit as I've used the phone and ditched glass protectors. The other is gesture navigation. I'm constantly closing app or switching apps by mistake while in the middle of doing something. All it takes is a slight mis-swipe or touch to cause chaos.

My 2 problems with my P6 are the slow FPS which I must admit has improved a bit as I've used the phone and ditched glass protectors. The other is gesture navigation. I'm constantly closing app or switching apps by mistake while in the middle of doing something. All it takes is a slight mis-swipe or touch to cause chaos.
You can modify the gesture sensitivity. I have it basically turned off for right-to-left to go back

I'm glad I returned this crap instead of giving it to my dad. Imagine the headache and time that'll be wasted on providing support for this POS.
Haha cause one YouTuber who has basically sold out yea....

Google messed up but let's count how many times apple, Samsung or others have hardware and software debacles. 🤣

No hardware manufacturer is perfect no matter the size.

I will admit it's been pretty flawless on my 5a 5g but taking away features or adding features no one asked for is 100% like Microsoft and windows 11

Shocked, there's a 215 MB system update ready for my 6 Pro. Is this the long awaited patch I've been waiting 2 months for? Or just a little security update, and the big patch coming later?

Shocked, there's a 215 MB system update ready for my 6 Pro. Is this the long awaited patch I've been waiting 2 months for? Or just a little security update, and the big patch coming later?
The 215MB OTA update is the November -> January 6 Pro update which contains improvements/bug fixes and security updates (214MB for the 6). There's only one update that Pixels get per month, though it just so happened that the 6/6 Pro had their January one delayed until a few hours ago.

I just got the update, too. Mine was only 40MB since I had already sideloaded the December update. This is actually the first OTA update my Pixel has been able to normally receive.

Edit: Damn it takes forever to install updates this way. Sideloading only takes like 5-6 minutes. This took like 1/2 hour with all of the "optimizing."

Last edited:
Just installed the 215mb update. Phone took a while to "optimize" after installing.

Maybe it's the placebo effect but the Finger print scanner does seem noticeably better. If nothing else, that makes it a good update. Hopefully nothing else is borked.

If anyone wants to buy a Pixel 6 Pro 512gb unlocked, let me know. I'm selling one. Check my FS thread.

With the recent update, my Pixel 6 Pro feels even smoother and more fluid. Just such a fast trouble free smartphone for me, I have to say I am extremely satisfied with my 6 Pro, I don't have any major issues or bugs to speak of. I'm starting to like this phone, almost as much as I did my Pixel 4 XL, which I just LOVED that phone at the time, minus to poor battery life and mediocre display tech, but my Pixel 6 Pro is easily becoming an all time fav for me, just wish it had a FLAT screen. Watching YouTube videos in full screen landscape mode looks amazing on this phone.

There's really no other phone out right now, I'd trade my 6 Pro for.

I still have my regular Pixel 6, I actually used it one full day last week, and yes I like the flat screen and more friendly size, but there is a performance difference to me, comparing both the 6 Pro vs the 6, the refresh rate display is noticeable to me, the 120hz LTPO is just smoother and nicer on the 6 Pro, the colors and brightness is just a bit better on the 6 Pro, and just the overall snappiness and performance is slightly smoother on my 6 Pro than the Pixel 6. The haptic vibration motor is better on the 6 Pro, the speakers are better on the 6 Pro.

I wish Google didn't do this, and made the Pixel 6 with the same exact specs as the Pixel 6 Pro, just like Apple does with the iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max, same phones just different sizes, but same hardware inside and perform the same. I would love the Pixel 6 with the 120hz LTPO display, and better haptics and brighter screen, etc...

So overall I really like my Pixel 6 Pro, only negative would be the curved screen, but I will say it does give it the bezel-less look, but still would prefer a FLAT screen like the current iPhone's. And the regular Pixel 6 does feel like a slightly lesser flagship compared to the Pixel 6 Pro.

The fingerprint scanner? I stopped using it the first week I got the phones, it sucked and I hated the bright light each time, so just went back to my swipe pattern, and when at home, I have it disabled completely.

That's my opinion after owning the new Pixel 6 line for a few months.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220117-095742.png
    Screenshot_20220117-095742.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220117-095753.png
    Screenshot_20220117-095753.png
    477.3 KB · Views: 0
Personally, I still want them to overhaul the "At A Glance" on this device. It's worse than the widget version in nearly every way, and 1/2 the options for it don't actually work....including the one that disables it. It's taking up too much real estate and it has minimal/reduced functionality. Supposedly they're adding things to it, but at this rate it'll be Android 13 before it's actually working right.
That one item is the reason I'm using Nova Launcher, which still annoys me.

OK, you gotta be pretty picky if the biggest swiss army knife doesn't have enough options for you. :ROFLMAO: But seriously, I do wish there was more granularity on what could show up on the glance screen. I really only have a couple of programs that I'd like to add.

Back