Pixel 6 / Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6a

Mine will eventually work and show up like that, but never right away. The phone un-selects "File Transfer/Android Auto" repeatedly. Never had anything like this before with any other Androids. Although I *am* on Windows 11, which is the one major difference.
Mine connects instantly each time. I suppose your P6 might have a defective USB port?

Mine connects instantly each time. I suppose your P6 might have a defective USB port?

Maybe? I dunno. It charges fine and transferring files works without issue once it actually allows me to do so. The phone shows up fine in Windows, it just doesn't like the file transfer option on the phone itself. If you don't have that option enabled on the phone, it won't let you do anything with it in Windows. It's just a blank device. I tend to think it's software as a result.

So the update must have been pulled and delayed? Kind of surprised Google hasn't made any official statement on this.

I've checked almost every hour on both my T-Mobile Pixel 6 and my Google unlocked Pixel 6 Pro and zero updates available.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get my phone to show up as an adb device when using command prompt in the sdk folder. I put phone is transfer mode and debugging is turned on. Is there something additional that you have to install? Maybe I need a more detailed step by step instructions.

So the update must have been pulled and delayed? Kind of surprised Google hasn't made any official statement on this.

I've checked almost every hour on both my T-Mobile Pixel 6 and my Google unlocked Pixel 6 Pro and zero updates available.

Same, but after reading how bad it is on XDA I'm actually going to skip it.

Same, but after reading how bad it is on XDA I'm actually going to skip it.
When you buy a new Pixel for fast updates, only to get updated after previous Pixels and decide to skip it anyways because of some forum posts complaining about it like every other update.

Anyways, unless there's a big sale and battery life improves on these with another update, think I'll be keeping my Pixel 5 now until the next Pixel and hopefully they'll improve Tensor power efficiency and the fingerprint reader (esp with a screen protector) in the next Pixel. I don't want to downgrade in battery life at least from my Pixel 5. Wife needs to replace her Note 9 soon still, but might wait for the 6a or get her a cheap 5a soon for her. Funny that the 5a beat the 6 Pro (and everything else) in MKBHD's blind camera shootout this year too.

All these issues with these Pixel 6's makes me want to switch back to Samsung with S22 ultra when it comes out. Delays with updates which should be immediate, but still cause more issues for the few that actually get the update. The annoying optical finger sensor that lights up the room upon use and leaves many people with performance issues. They should have used ultrasonic. The lackluster battery life. I could keep going. They say the pixel UI is just as custom as OneUI when compared to base Android, yet Samsung has more features baked in. Samsung is really fast on new Android versions for their latest flagships to around 1 month so Pixel's 6 month advantage is non-existent. Samsung's cameras are on par with Pixel now. I should have never sold my S21 ultra for the Pixel 6 pro. Pretty disappointed with Google.

New homescreen;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211218-105136.png
    Screenshot_20211218-105136.png
    320.6 KB · Views: 0
Even with the few minor Pixel issues I've had, there's still no way I'd go back to Samsung. Until they replace their own baked-in system apps with Google's versions it's just not worth it.

It would be one thing if their apps weren't bad. OneUI isn't bad. In fact, it's actually pretty good now. Yet all of their system apps look and work like they haven't been touched in a decade. It's like they borrowed Google's design from 2011, shoehorned their "Samsung Account" into the menu and called it done forever.

My only real complaint is the FPS. If the next Pixel put the FPS on the back, it'd be a solid winner. I like Android 12, though gesture navigation isn't very intuitive. Right now, I'd say its gestures are on par with iOS. Good, not great.

Couple homescreen pics in spirit of the new movie;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211219-160530.png
    Screenshot_20211219-160530.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20211219-183324.png
    Screenshot_20211219-183324.png
    977.8 KB · Views: 0
Interesting read, and surprising that Google spec'd a 'less good' modem. I wonder if that's a case of building a phone with the modem being delivered too late in the cycle to be changed, or if it was a money saving measure.

Just looking at the thread there (and a few elsewhere) and I still see posts about 5G being a major battery drain. I'm not experiencing that at all and I'm permanently on 5G (with no WiFi) several days a week. I wonder if that's mmWave, which isn't available in the unlocked normal P6.

If you're seriously interested in the update, I'd just go the sideload route. It might take weeks for them to finally greenlight it to everyone at this rate. That "December" update could become January.

Pixel 6 non pro users. My mother-in law needs a new phone and I am thinking of upgrading myself to the 6 from the 5a 5g just cause I need this phone to last her a while and a used 4a would work, worried about security updates and possible unknown battery abuse. My question is how is the battery life. I know it won't be the same as the 5g, but can you get through the whole day?

I love everything about my Pixel 6 except this recurring issue of the screen waking *so*fucking*much*.

I put the phone in my pocket? Screen wakes. I pick up my phone? Screen wakes. My hand comes within inches of the screen? Screen wakes.

Is there any way to limit screen wake to Power Button press, without having to remove fingerprint unlock? This was never an issue on my old S9 because the fingerprint scanner was on the back of the device.

Turning off Tap to Wake and Lift to Wake doesn't help either.

Pixel 6 non pro users. My mother-in law needs a new phone and I am thinking of upgrading myself to the 6 from the 5a 5g just cause I need this phone to last her a while and a used 4a would work, worried about security updates and possible unknown battery abuse. My question is how is the battery life. I know it won't be the same as the 5g, but can you get through the whole day?

My Pixel 6 leaves me with about 30% battery after a day of heavy use with no Wi-Fi and only a (sadly very slow) 5G connection. On my home Wi-Fi network it's closer to 50-60%. I don't play games, but that's using various social platforms, email, web browsing, calendar, occasional calls, etc. I came from a Galaxy S20+, which was a little worse, but mostly the same.

My last post about P6 screen protectors. I've had the Otterbox film screen protector on my phone for just over a week. So far, so good. There's been no degradation in the FPS performance like what happened with all the glass protectors I tried. Of course, this film won't absorb any direct hits on the screen, but it'll work to prevent scratches. I can live with that.

The Google Store had it on special for $9.95 when I bought it, but it's now OOS.

I'm really hesitant to call this a better phone than the pixel 4XL. I miss the face unlock which was very responsive unless your wearing a mask. The new fringerprint unlock is the worst I have ever used, it does not even unlock most of the time. Please just put a regular sensor on the back of the phone next time, face recognition from the front. Battery life and speed is great compared to the 4XL, but the lack of active edge and motion sense to a lesser agree kind of negate the faster speeds for general use (unlock takes longer, and squeeze for assist). Also not a fan of rounded glass. WTH were you thinking forcing your customers back to film screen protectors. Maybe the 4XL was just under rated but so far I'm not very impessed by my 6 pro.

I'm really hesitant to call this a better phone than the pixel 4XL. I miss the face unlock which was very responsive unless your wearing a mask. The new fringerprint unlock is the worst I have ever used, it does not even unlock most of the time. Please just put a regular sensor on the back of the phone next time, face recognition from the front. Battery life and speed is great compared to the 4XL, but the lack of active edge and motion sense to a lesser agree kind of negate the faster speeds for general use (unlock takes longer, and squeeze for assist). Also not a fan of rounded glass. WTH were you thinking forcing your customers back to film screen protectors. Maybe the 4XL was just under rated but so far I'm not very impessed by my 6 pro.
The FPS is the Achilles' Heel of an otherwise outstanding phone. Too bad it can't be fixed with a software update. Oh wait... Google doesn't even do updates right anymore. :rage: :banghead:

Ever since the December Update, the call screening and waiting on hold functionality have disappeared from my device. It just simply no longer has those options. Those are among the main reasons I wanted this phone vs. something else. The screener in particular is handy for real calls vs. fake ones. I guess I'm not alone, either. Hopefully the January update brings 'em back.

Ever since the December Update, the call screening and waiting on hold functionality have disappeared from my device. It just simply no longer has those options. Those are among the main reasons I wanted this phone vs. something else. The screener in particular is handy for real calls vs. fake ones. I guess I'm not alone, either. Hopefully the January update brings 'em back.
This might explain it...

https://9to5google.com/2021/12/22/pixel-6-call-screen/

Glad I didn't side load the update.

I'm no photographer but took these pics at the MSI today;

Attachments

• PXL_20211231_203901990.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211231_203901990.PORTRAIT.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20211231_203916172.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211231_203916172.PORTRAIT.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 28
Apparently they DID pause the December update and will now be rolling out a January update (with additional updates and fixes for fixes) starting on 1/3. Hopefully they actually push that update out quickly instead of forcing me to sideload again.

I'm really losing faith in Google. They can't even push out updates correctly or on time. They always make stupid hardware choices or mess something up. First they hyped up Tensor, but it's just meh, then they pick a mediocre optical finger scanner. I'll most likely be selling my Pixel 6 pro for the S22 plus or ultra when it comes out around February.

I figure I'll keep my eyes on the Pixel OTA images page today. New images usually show up mid-day, so we probably won't see anything for a few hours.

Back