Pixel 6 / Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6a

Seems the unlocked version of the normal P6 doesn't have the mmWave antenna in it, which might be why some reviews say the battery life is great and others aren't so happy about it. Mine has been fantastic (I have the unlocked one), so could be why. I don't think I ever picked up a single mmWave signal with my S20+, so I can't say I'm missing anything.

The fingerprint scanner is almost exactly the same as that S20+ (maybe better) so it doesn't bother me.

My gripes have all been related to Android 12. Frankly, I'm just not a fan of it. For a phone that's trying to be closer to iOS (things just work), there are too many instances where you have to learn where something is hiding, how something operates, or what something even means. Plus, the new widgets are just plain lousy. They're aesthetically out of wack (they don't match one another), they're huge, they don't size correctly, and I have yet to see one that offered new functionality. I get that Google is working on it, but they've been working on Android 12 for a long time. They usually roll out new versions in the summer.
I have the unlocked version of the 6 as well, and yeah the battery is a tank. Makes sense, and 5g connection is almost non-existent at best around here, so it fits.

Regarding A12; totally agree. It's like learning an entirely new OS. Setting up Nova Prime really helped relieve a lot of that annoyance so far

Regarding A12; totally agree. It's like learning an entirely new OS. Setting up Nova Prime really helped relieve a lot of that annoyance so far

What's amusing is that when I was looking through the Google forums for tips/fixes, their own team members are recommending Nova Launcher to those who don't like the way A12 functions. I know they're working on some things, but it's giving off a Windows 11 vibe at the moment.

What's amusing is that when I was looking through the Google forums for tips/fixes, their own team members are recommending Nova Launcher to those who don't like the way A12 functions. I know they're working on some things, but it's giving off a Windows 11 vibe at the moment.

Not surprising, but funny regardless. Nova Prime was the best $5 I've ever spent, regardless of Android version 😆

The difficult to find things part of A12 certainly copied iOS well. iOS has the reputation for things just working and it does do that, but only in narrowly defined scenarios that even regular phone people like my wife often strays outside of (and then me, the usually Android guy, has to figure out the unintuitive solution).

The P6 fingerprint reader is really turning into a potential dealbreaker for me. I gave up on a ROG 2 phone and the s10e because I just didn't like the fingerprint readers even though they were alright. The P6 one doesn't even sound like it reaches "alright" by my own preferences.

- This fingerprint scanner is the only major letdown so far on my Pixel 6 Pro. It seems to work maybe 75% accurate at best. And that dumb bright white light is not cool.

- Curved edge screen, still on the fence with this, makes the phone display feel like it jumps out at you, like makes the phone feel thicker or fatter.

- Auto brightness sometimes doesn't activate right away in dim lit rooms, like the screen stays dark for a bit before getting bright again.

Other than those three things, this phone is warp speed fast and very smooth.

Just for testing, is there a way to disable the fingerprint scanner, and passcode, and just pick up the phone and swipe up to enter to the home screen?

Just for testing, is there a way to disable the fingerprint scanner, and passcode, and just pick up the phone and swipe up to enter to the home screen?

If you setup SmartLock for your home/office/car/etc. it should work that way. Sometimes it randomly doesn't (across all Android devices), but it works 95% of the time. It's under Settings/Security at the very bottom.

Is this what you wanted?

Go to Settings > Enter "Screen Lock" in the search box > look down a little bit and tap "Screen Lock" > Underneath "Screen lock" Enter your fingerprint or pattern or swipe or PIN or password to get to the next screen (it will tell you what it wants) > on the next screen select "Swipe"

1.jpg

Last edited:
^ There was a hidden setting in OneUI that sped up the fingerprint scanner in a similar way. I've had the improved sensitivity turned on and it's quick. That's probably why I haven't had any issues. It seems to be more lenient and faster in general.

The free Pixel Buds were a cool bonus considering how affordable the device was to begin with. The audio quality is good, especially with the bass boost enabled. That makes them sound more like a pair of earphones. My one comparison is the Galaxy Buds+, since they're what I'm used to. The Pixel buds are a little more snug and the audio quality is better while the Galaxy Buds+ last almost twice as long and are smaller/sleeker. Considering both have cases that charge 'em, I figure that bringing both of them should be able to literally last the length of any possible plane trip.

How many run dark mode 100% all the time, vs sometimes light theme? Or even always light mode?

How many run dark mode 100% all the time, vs sometimes light theme? Or even always light mode?
I'm primarily an iPhone user, but on both platforms I use dark mode whenever I can. Much easier on the eyes if the lighting is anything less than perfect, and it wrings out a little more battery life on OLED phones.

I run dark mode 100% of the time but I deliberately choose non-perfectly black backgrounds within the apps if it's available to avoid the black smear I'm very sensitive to. Even the latest iPhone and Samsung screens still have a bit of black smear particularly in low light. By setting almost black as the background instead of black, it completely alleviates the problem.

I think I've mentioned it before that pure black backgrounds were very popular in Android several years ago because it got OLED before iPhones did and then evolved so that it's usually not pure black anymore since it was found that it doesn't cost (noticeable) additional energy and also avoids black smear. iOS is actually behind in this evolution and it's kinda strange to me since Apple is usually good about these sort of small details. It's possible that another couple years of OLED development could get rid of this problem though.

I'm the weirdo who runs in light mode I guess. Granted, I use a black (or very dark blue) wallpaper, but I like having a white system UI and white folder backgrounds. The normal P6 isn't super bright so I run it at 80% brightness. With most other devices I've usually been closer to 70%.

I am making use of the extra dim feature while reading at night. Easier on the eyes.

Anyone else get free Pixel Buds? Ordered and received my P6 from the Google Store and they just sent me a coupon for free to Buds. Pretty cool!
Mine shipped today. I'm not a headphones/earbuds guy, so I'm gonna sell them.

I'm very pleased with my 6 Pro and am sticking with it at least until we see what the iPhone 14 has to offer. The only thing keeping it from being damn near 100% outstanding is the on screen scanner. It's not awful, but not great, either. Works maybe 75% of the time properly on the first touch. I hope future software updates will improve it. Time will tell.

My final evaluation: 8.9/10 (y)

Is there any downside to the increased touch sensitivity option? Does it cause more accidental touches or something?

Is there any downside to the increased touch sensitivity option? Does it cause more accidental touches or something?
Nothing I've noticed so far. A few times, however, it looked like an app or letter "activated" just before I actually touched it on the screen. Hasn't occurred regularly so it's kinda hard to be sure.

Batter life seems to be improving for me. Phone has been off the charger since 6 this morning and it's almost 10 at night now. I did a lot of travelling today and I absolutely hammered the phone today. Lots of gps, lots of video, web browsing, picture taking etc. Phone is down to 8% and I hit 8 hours and 11 minutes of SOT. Today is not a typical day and represents a heavy heavy day of use. I'm really happy with that. Sure it's not the battery beast that the iPhone pro max is but it's still very good. This phone will get me through my day no problems. And the upside, I don't have to use IOS. 😁

I found another little trick that improved the fingerprint scanner performance for me. I did 3 scans of each thumb, thinking it might make it easier for the scanner to recognize the print. Seems to have worked so far.

I have PIN and fingerprint, with smart unlock on. I've been getting the occasional "device was locked manually" prompt when I wake my phone. Can't use fingerprint to unlock either, PIN required. I've tried turning off smart unlock (which is always spotty anyways) but to no avail.

Seems like some other p6 and pro users have this issue as well. Any [H]ard thoughts?

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/qip245/device_was_locked_manually/

Anyone here have both the 6 Pro and 6? Curious size wise and comfortability. To me this 6 Pro is on the extreme large size, and the curved edges make it look weird or like extra thick or something. Looks too much like a Samsung phone which is terrible.

Almost contemplating getting the Pixel 6 see if I like the smaller size and flat screen?

Size wise and comfort, my Pixel 4 XL is darn near perfect to me. Just the best size and easy to hold.

Today will be the day where I should have a better idea of what they battery life is like while on trips and such. I'm in the office all day, it's in a spotty 5G area, there's no WiFi, and I typically listen to something via Bluetooth for 45 minutes to/from work and sometimes at lunch.

I have PIN and fingerprint, with smart unlock on. I've been getting the occasional "device was locked manually" prompt when I wake my phone. Can't use fingerprint to unlock either, PIN required. I've tried turning off smart unlock (which is always spotty anyways) but to no avail.

Seems like some other p6 and pro users have this issue as well. Any [H]ard thoughts?

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/qip245/device_was_locked_manually/
With any security on a screen it will manually lock for safety if the device hasn't been used in X amount of time. It's been like that for a long time. I do wish we had control over it though as SmartLock seems to make it kind of random.

Last edited:
Anyone here have both the 6 Pro and 6? Curious size wise and comfortability. To me this 6 Pro is on the extreme large size, and the curved edges make it look weird or like extra thick or something. Looks too much like a Samsung phone which is terrible.

Almost contemplating getting the Pixel 6 see if I like the smaller size and flat screen?

Size wise and comfort, my Pixel 4 XL is darn near perfect to me. Just the best size and easy to hold.

They are very close in terms of size, barely any difference but I don't like the curved screen so I got the regular 6.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Google-Pixel-4-XL,Google-Pixel-6/phones/11202,11732

The P6 is actually slightly smaller but 14g heavier. You're used to Pro Max weight though right?

I've been getting that with Smart Lock on.every Android phone I've owned for years. Sometimes it happens just minutes after I've already unlocked my phone. Never found a fix or workaround for it. It's frustrating.

Just being totally honest here, not really digging this Pixel 6 Pro. It's over the borderline of too large a device for me, and for some strange reason my iPhone 12 Pro Max feels more compact and much smaller, even though it's the same size or in some cases even bigger.

Typing on the phone, it feels hollow or cheap if that makes any sense? My 12 Pro Max feels rock solid typing, meaning the feel of it, not the haptics, but like what's behind the phone feels solid, same with my Pixel 4 XL feels solid too, but not this Pixel 6 Pro.

My Pixel 4 XL just feels so much nicer to hold and grip on to, and the more compact size is darn near perfect to my liking. Man I love the 4 XL, except the mediocre battery life.

But also the iPhone Pro Max smartphones are so close to be nearing perfect if they opened up iOS more, allowed some customization, and made a few changes, I would love them.

So how I go about returning this new 6 Pro? Maybe try the regular flat Pixel 6.

Reactions: hmz
like this
That's something Anandtech mentioned, that the screen of the P6P isn't thermal glued to the stuff underneath which means it's slightly easier to repair but doesn't feel as solid.

My vote is to return it if it isn't exactly what you want.

I don't know why, but with no case on, this 6 Pro feels and looks so much better.

I have a slim case and a medium thick case, but without a case this phone just seems more modern futuristic for some reason, and makes me like it more.

Then again I feel the same way with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Any case makes that phone feel like a brick, no case feels so good and looks better.

Back