Pixel 6 / Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6a

I think FedEx has gone completely bonkers. My headphones have been sitting in Kent WA for a few days an now my phone is moving up the coast of CA. It in Weed. This is crazy, USPS would have been faster. I bet they screw me even further buy barging the phone from WA to AK. LOL

Last edited:
https://www.droid-life.com/2021/11/01/google-pixel-6-pro-review-buy-it/

Should you buy a Pixel 6 Pro?​

The Google Pixel 6 Pro should be topping your Android smartphone list today if you are in the flagship market. And even if you aren’t, because most flagship phones require a budget of $1,000 or more, this phone can still be in consideration as it starts at just $899.

The display is excellent. Performance is too. The camera matches up with the best in the business. Android 12 with Google’s Pixel skin on top makes for such an enjoyable experience. Performance is great. Battery life is fine. And you get it all without any weird corners cut, outside of maybe the bad fingerprint reader.

If you are fine with a phone this large, buy it.

Last edited:
My main concern before I get my Pixel 6 Pro today, is reviewers saying the size is GIGANTIC HUGE and too large. But I have the Pixel 4 XL and iPhone 12 Pro Max and have gotten comfortable with those for overall size, yeah the 12 Pro Max is a big one, the width actually being too wide, but I do love the screen and and big display, so much to look at and easier to read. I just hope I don't find my 6 Pro too big.

Like if I was going to get another iPhone, it for sure would be the 13 Pro Max, not the regular Pro. Do people complain about the size of the Pro Max iPhone's as much as they do about the Pixel 6 Pro size?

If you're fine with the iPhone 12 Pro Max, I don't see why you'd have any trouble with the Pixel 6 Pro which is slightly taller but narrower and lighter. As for the iPhone 13 Pro Max, it certainly has the weight to back up its battery life lol.

The normal Pixel 6 is pretty large by itself. With a case on, it's the same size as the S20+. It's bordering on "too large" for me already. Especially since it's very angular. Anything bigger than this would be inconveniently large and a hassle to carry in my pockets.

I don't think iPhone people complain as much because you have smaller models to choose from. In this case you have big and bigger unless you want a 5a.

My main concern before I get my Pixel 6 Pro today, is reviewers saying the size is GIGANTIC HUGE and too large. But I have the Pixel 4 XL and iPhone 12 Pro Max and have gotten comfortable with those for overall size, yeah the 12 Pro Max is a big one, the width actually being too wide, but I do love the screen and and big display, so much to look at and easier to read. I just hope I don't find my 6 Pro too big.

If you don’t mind the 12 PM size I highly doubt you will dislike the size of the 6 Pro.

What you will notice is that it is conderably lighter in hand. The Pixel 6 Pro is about 20g lighter at 210g while the 12 PM weighs in at 228g.

Pixel 6P is also 2 mm less in width, 3 mm taller and almost 2 mm thicker. The width is the most important dimension to me as that is what makes holding a phone in one hand easy or not. 12 PM is close to the limit for me so even a 2 mm reduction is good news.

Take it easy on the phone when you use/review it. Rather than your normal take to pick at the things it may not be top tier, think of it more as the sum of its parts and what it should become as Google fine tunes its software to take full advantage of their in-house Tensor chip.

I think you will like it but am curious to see what your comparison is to the 12 Pro Max.

Really love this phone. Only thing I dislike is the fingerprint reader. It's poor. I turned on smart lock so that while I'm home I don't have to use the fingerprint scanner. Seems to be a good compromise.

Just got an update from FedEx, "Scheduled for delivery tomorrow 11/02."

Ugh. Man this phone has been in several different towns around me since Friday, strange delivery process, on Friday was in a town 10 miles from me, then Saturday in a town like 15 miles away, then Sunday downtown in the city. Now says delivery will be tomorrow.

Just got an update from FedEx, "Scheduled for delivery tomorrow 11/02."

Ugh. Man this phone has been in several different towns around me since Friday, strange delivery process, on Friday was in a town 10 miles from me, then Saturday in a town like 15 miles away, then Sunday downtown in the city. Now says delivery will be tomorrow.
I got that notification 3 days in a row before mine finally was delivered. Worth the wait, though I agree with Flossy and Johnny78 about the on screen scanner. It's decent, but should've been better. That aside, the P6 Pro is a keeper. Already listed my 3XL on Swappa. Got 2 offers of $125 and $110 for it.

Just got home, opened and charging, haven’t turned it on yet. Quick first impressions, fancy nice build quality, it’s a large phone, curved display, hmm not a fan before we’ll see.

Case is a must on this phone, I’m not afraid to run naked LOL but this phone screams must-have-a-case.

Attachments

• C6641F2B-3A9A-421B-B9E7-07B057A1CDAB.jpeg
    C6641F2B-3A9A-421B-B9E7-07B057A1CDAB.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 6B735A64-131D-43CC-AA6E-5BBF2FED2DE3.jpeg
    6B735A64-131D-43CC-AA6E-5BBF2FED2DE3.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 0
  • E9C48A17-919F-4842-BE35-0DA8AFBED3FC.jpeg
    E9C48A17-919F-4842-BE35-0DA8AFBED3FC.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 5BC7D721-C52E-471D-8D3C-725682267003.jpeg
    5BC7D721-C52E-471D-8D3C-725682267003.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 34D47110-DFDC-47EF-BD4C-68F49270D012.jpeg
    34D47110-DFDC-47EF-BD4C-68F49270D012.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 0
  • F6B436AC-5FA7-43B0-9BC4-416A38D5826E.jpeg
    F6B436AC-5FA7-43B0-9BC4-416A38D5826E.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 0
  • F5852B87-84B2-4599-A993-2DDF33828DCE.jpeg
    F5852B87-84B2-4599-A993-2DDF33828DCE.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 0
I am not really impressed with this Pixel 6. It's a beast phone, slow FP reader, no face unlock, cartoonish UI, average battery life.

Sure its a $600, and also a couple generations behind the iPhone. I guess it's acceptable.

Last edited:
I am not really impressed with this Pixel 6. It's a beast phone, slow FP reader, no face unlock, cartoonish UI, average battery life.

Sure its a $600, and also a couple generations behind the iPhone. I guess it's acceptable.
Well according to you, you only used it for an hour so I'm not even sure how you would even know how the battery life is.

How is the Pixel 6 "A couple generations behind the iPhone" ?

Not going to argue with you, I do think Apple designs and builds very high quality smartphones, beautiful displays and great haptics and speakers, etc... Fantastic phones. No doubt the iPhone 13 Pro Max is a beast, a super great phone. But iOS is the one way behind, Apple's OS just feels stuck in like 2010, I love their phones, but using iOS after awhile is just a turnoff to me, so frustrating to use, and could be so much better if Apple allowed it.

How is the Pixel 6 "A couple generations behind the iPhone" ?

Not going to argue with you, I do think Apple designs and builds very high quality smartphones, beautiful displays and great haptics and speakers, etc... Fantastic phones. No doubt the iPhone 13 Pro Max is a beast, a super great phone. But iOS is the one way behind, Apple's OS just feels stuck in like 2010, I love their phones, but using iOS after awhile is just a turnoff to me, so frustrating to use, and could be so much better if Apple allowed it.

Really I am not the hater, been using android the whole life... My wife just bought the 13 Max, its a superb.. The screen, the battery life, the camera, fast face unlock instead of sluggish FP reader on the Pixel.. I don't know, this Android 12 is okay, a bit too cartoonish sometimes, maybe I need to get used it.. How do you like your Pixel? Did you get used it?

Really I am not the hater, been using android the whole life... My wife just bought the 13 Max, its a superb.. The screen, the battery life, the camera, fast face unlock instead of sluggish FP reader on the Pixel.. I don't know, this Android 12 is okay, a bit too cartoonish sometimes, maybe I need to get used it.. How do you like your Pixel? Did you get used it?

I agree the 13 Pro Max is a super cool phone, absolutely. I just don't like iOS that much, wish there was a stable Jailbreak around, that'd be kick ass on that phone. Plus that phone is still out-of-stock almost 2 months later, best Buy, T-Mobile, never have it, always on back-order.

Just got it today, setting it up after dinner. The curved screen? Not sure about that. The fingerprint scanner, does it always flash a bright blinding white light each time? Ugh. The screen or display size, meaning the font or size of things looks too blown up large by default, needed to change that in Display settings, not the font, but the Display Size seems too big, at Small it seems to fit this big phone better.

Dark Mode isn't AMOLED Black, but dark grey, I wish with the 6 Pro's higher end display it would go black black.

But overall Android 12 I am very familiar with it, having run the beta on my Pixel 4 XL for months, so it's not new to me.

You literally have only posted on here to crap on this phone. You're entitled to your opinion but your credibility is close to zero when you post absolutely nothing positive about the phone and have only negative things to say. Obviously no phone is perfect and I'll be the first to point out the things I don't like (here's looking at you fingerprint reader) but to say there's nothing good about this phone is just not in line with reality and literally 99.9% of everyone else who's used the phone. So fine I won't call you a hater but your contribution to this thread is basically worthless.

The fingerprint scanner, does it always flash a bright blinding white light each time? Ugh.
Yup, really bad when you're in bed late at night. Just one more reason why I turned on smart lock while I'm home and I just bypass the fingerprint scanner.

Dark mode or light mode for Display settings? I'm typically a dark mode guy 90% of the time, but want to try out the lighter brighter side see how I like the stock non dark setting. I wish the dark mode was like the iPhone's being true OLED black.

Reactions: hmz
like this
You literally have only posted on here to crap on this phone. You're entitled to your opinion but your credibility is close to zero when you post absolutely nothing positive about the phone and have only negative things to say. Obviously no phone is perfect and I'll be the first to point out the things I don't like (here's looking at you fingerprint reader) but to say there's nothing good about this phone is just not in line with reality and literally 99.9% of everyone else who's used the phone. So fine I won't call you a hater but your contribution to this thread is basically worthless.

If my opinion is worthless, yours is no better either. Not sure what you want to say here...

My Pixel 6 pro arrives tomorrow I can't wait and it can't be bigger than the current brick I carry the LG V60 with the dual-screen. Hopefully, the finger sensor is better because the LG V60 finger screen sensor is complete crap :bored:

How do you like the curved screen? It hasn't caused me any difficulties.

Pixel 6 came yesterday. Coming from a Galaxy S9, I was concerned it would be too big and I would just have to 'deal with it’. But after putting the Spigen case on, this thing feels great. Very happy

Few quick impressions since getting the 6 Pro last night;

- It is a big phone, feels thicker or bulkier than my iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Curved edge screen is ok, it does make the gesture navigation a bit easier, but I still prefer flat screens
- FPS scanner turning on the bright white light is annoying, and doesn't work nearly as good as the classic rear finger print scanner.
- This phone MUST have a case on, holy cow is this thing slippery without a case, and a strange but good thing, cases don't seem to add a lot of bulk due to the curved edge display. But really don't see how anyone can use this phone naked.
- Going back and forth running dark mode vs light theme, for some reason light theme looks pretty good on this phone.

Overall I like it so far, but not blown away crazy in love with it yet. But keep in mind the two phones I've just been using this Summer / Fall are the Pixel 4 XL and iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Is there a way to forgo fps security and use the face unlock like older OnePlus phones did or still do?

My buddy got the Pixel 6 non-pro and showed it off to me. For $600 Google has a solid contender. Good screen, great camera, and fluid feeling UI. But after the brief moment I had with it, there is one thing I found that would drive me crazy; the fingerprint scanner.

That thing would fail to read his fingerprint maybe 10-20% of the time and when it would read then it would sometimes still take a full second or longer to unlock. It functioned like a first generation fingerprint scanner; only difference is it’s in the display. Using a regular one on the back of the phone or their blazing fast face unlock from their previous Pixels would’ve been the way to go. I remember my iPhone 8 Plus and Pixel 2 XLs fingerprint readers being so much better.

For a $600 phone the fingerprint reader situation is “acceptable” but if it’s the same one in the 6 Pro then I wouldn’t be ok with it after paying nearly a grand.

Seems the unlocked version of the normal P6 doesn't have the mmWave antenna in it, which might be why some reviews say the battery life is great and others aren't so happy about it. Mine has been fantastic (I have the unlocked one), so could be why. I don't think I ever picked up a single mmWave signal with my S20+, so I can't say I'm missing anything.

The fingerprint scanner is almost exactly the same as that S20+ (maybe better) so it doesn't bother me.

My gripes have all been related to Android 12. Frankly, I'm just not a fan of it. For a phone that's trying to be closer to iOS (things just work), there are too many instances where you have to learn where something is hiding, how something operates, or what something even means. Plus, the new widgets are just plain lousy. They're aesthetically out of wack (they don't match one another), they're huge, they don't size correctly, and I have yet to see one that offered new functionality. I get that Google is working on it, but they've been working on Android 12 for a long time. They usually roll out new versions in the summer.

Back