Pixel 6 / Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6a

I'm excited to know my phone is nearby with FedEx but zero clue as to when I'll receive it now?
My 6 Pro has been nearby with FedEx since Wednesday.
My 6 Pro has been "out for delivery" with FedEx since Wednesday.
My 6 Pro has been delayed with FedEx since Wednesday.

Anyone sensing a pattern here?

I like the phone hardware, but the Pixel launcher is driving me nuts. I'm thinking of potentially running Nova instead.
The "At A Glance" built into the launcher is borderline worthless. It takes up an entire row of your screen (even though it doesn't look like it) and touching that area always takes you to the weather app. If you turn off the weather functionality, it then takes you to you calendar instead. With the older widget, you could get to both, not either/or. I'm wondering if this is intentional or what.
Want to add a clock widget? You have the choice of either tiny or huge. They don't scale. What about weather? There is no small option - only huge. Nova lets you scale those and everything else.

I never thought I'd need Nova on a Pixel device, but I guess here we are. At least until they fix that awful "At a Glance" non-widget taking up space on the home screen.

Didn't take me long to compare Android 12 Pixel Launcher to Nova and choose Nova. Nova is the better for tweaking and sizing grids, labeling icons, and for not rigidly forcing the placement of icons into snap to zones. I set up Nova for three button navigation which I prefer over gestures, that also allowed me to press the home button and watch the Assistant animation and dialogue box appear, instead of having to press the power button.

Last edited:
One issue I've noticed with Nova is that sometimes the bottom 3 buttons simply stop working. It seems like it mainly occurs when some element of the OS uses the Pixel launcher. For example, changing the wallpaper in the system settings - it uses the Pixel Launcher's wallpaper selection tool. Not something you'll encounter often, but it's annoying when it does occur. Rebooting seems like the only fix, too.

My Nest doorbell camera just watched FedEx drop off this little box. I wonder what it could be?

Screenshot_20211030-125354.png

The one item not expected until mid Nov came just now, but still no phone, it's sitting in a nearby town since last night, no update from FedEx;

Attachments

• PXL_20211030_170957395.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211030_170957395.PORTRAIT.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20211030_171009567.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211030_171009567.PORTRAIT.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20211030_171020230.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211030_171020230.PORTRAIT.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 0
Still setting up my 6P. It's almost the same size as my 3XL. The 3XL looks a bit wider, but I'm not sure if it is or maybe just because the 6P screen curve makes it appear narrower.

Pixel 6 Pro case next to Pixel 3 XL in a case;

Attachments

• PXL_20211030_193210748.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211030_193210748.PORTRAIT.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20211030_193334136.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211030_193334136.PORTRAIT.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20211030_193237979.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211030_193237979.PORTRAIT.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 0
iPhone 12 Pro Max case vs. Pixel 6 Pro case;

Attachments

• PXL_20211030_193733899.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211030_193733899.PORTRAIT.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20211030_193831353.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    PXL_20211030_193831353.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20211030_193801424.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211030_193801424.PORTRAIT.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 0
And my phone is still sitting in a nearby town no movement per FedEx since yesterday. Ugh. So close but sounds like I'm not getting it till Tuesday.

Unfortunately the pill bar is gone for good for those who happen to like it.
Yeah, kinda figured that, too. You can use the old 3 button navigation, but that's yucky. The pill was a great way to get back on the home screen with just a tap.

Yeah, kinda figured that, too. You can use the old 3 button navigation, but that's yucky. The pill was a great way to get back on the home screen with just a tap.
Just give in to the dark side and start using gesture navigation. It's actually quite lovely on this phone. Just takes a few days to get used to then it's completely 2nd nature.

I'm very pleased that the curved screen is easy to use, even at the edges. No typos while texting. No accidentally opening apps. (y)

Get to live vicariously through my oldest son. He picks up his Pixel 6 in-store tomorrow as the BestBuy had 3 available for pickup. As he was ordering it went down to 2 before he placed his so if your local store has them, buy quickly as it appears demand is still strong.

I have had the Pixel 6 in and out of my cart on Google and BestBuy since pre-orders went live but I am so comfortable with the iPhone 12 Pro Max that I don’t know if I can go back to Android.

I’ll probably just buy one 2nd hand from Swappa in a month or so or see what BF may bring.

Just an FYI about the Pixel 6's flat screen. It's not entirely flat. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but it's beveled edge 2.5D glass. Very annoying if the only reason you didn't buy the Pro was wanting a flat display for a perfect screen protector fit.

Just an FYI about the Pixel 6's flat screen. It's not entirely flat. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but it's beveled edge 2.5D glass. Very annoying if the only reason you didn't buy the Pro was wanting a flat display for a perfect screen protector fit.
The 6 Pro screen curve is very slight. I find it easy to use.

Can my son just move his AT&T SIM over from his OnePlus 5 to his new Pixel 6 today when he picks it up?

NVM… he stopped by the house today to show off his Pixel 6 and he is getting LTE just fine and does not care about 5G as he is on Wi-Fi the majority of the time WFH and when not he said he does not need anymore speed than what he gets via LTE.

FC717D02-8746-459A-8FFF-43D28AE8C2FB.png

Last edited:
i'm extremely disappointed in Google's launch of the Pixel 6 pro. I pre-ordered on Oct 19 within maybe 4 hours of the event. I had to sit and refresh the page and keep trying to checkout a whole bunch, but finally got a 512gb 6 pro ordered. My initial ship date when from Oct 28th, to Nov 3, to Nov 10 to Dec 16. What a F@$%ING joke! I don't know if i'll ever get it. I keep hearing people say their phones are getting delivered and I feel completely left out and disregarded. Why do I have to wait another month and a half?

i'm extremely disappointed in Google's launch of the Pixel 6 pro. I pre-ordered on Oct 19 within maybe 4 hours of the event. I had to sit and refresh the page and keep trying to checkout a whole bunch, but finally got a 512gb 6 pro ordered. My initial ship date when from Oct 28th, to Nov 3, to Nov 10 to Dec 16. What a F@$%ING joke! I don't know if i'll ever get it. I keep hearing people say their phones are getting delivered and I feel completely left out and disregarded. Why do I have to wait another month and a half?
Just cancel your order and find a best buy that has them in stock.

Man FedEx. Phone's been in a nearby town since Friday morning. It's Sunday and delivery date shows Tuesday.

Man FedEx. Phone's been in a nearby town since Friday morning. It's Sunday and delivery date shows Tuesday.
Understand, mine is making the grand tour of the lower 48. Shipped on the 25th from Illinois, went to CO, then NV and it's currently on its third stop in CA. 😳

I feel bad for you guys stuck in the supply chain hell. I consider myself lucky that my 6 Pro showed up when it was supposed to. Supply chain issues like you guys are seeing though is exactly why the wife and I started Christmas shopping for our 3 kids and all of our family 2 months ago. Supply chain is just a complete shit show right now.

Neat. Original ship window for my P6 was Nov. 13-16, and it's been slowly moving up to the current Nov. 9-10. The buds also moved up a day.

Be fun to see if it falls into the same FedEx black hole others have experienced once they get their hands on it.

I can report that the normal Pixel 6's battery life seems to be great. I've been messing with this thing constantly all day and I still have 60% of my battery left. I can only imagine that for normal use (when I'm not tinkering for 8 straight hours) it should hold up just fine.

While I'm rocking Nova Launcher, it does seem like the betas of the Google app are paying attention to some issue with the At a Glance and ridiculously huge widgets that take up too much space. I tried out the latest beta and it's already a bit better. Still, it's going to take a lot to make me not want to use Nova instead. I always hate how apps with long names get cut off and you can't control folder and icon sizes without making the phone think you're blind and need 800pt. font. I don't recall having any gripes with the UI on the Pixel 2, but I feel like things have gotten way more locked down (and uglier) since. I tried to use the themed icons for the hell of it. and only like 1/2 of Google's own apps actually look right. Let alone everything else. That's pretty lazy IMO.

Anyone else not get any system updates yet? I never received the 10/28 update and per the version #'s I've seen, I probably should have.

Anyone else not get any system updates yet? I never received the 10/28 update and per the version #'s I've seen, I probably should have.
Got mine day one. It contains the November security patch as well. I'd reboot the phone and hit update a few times.

Got mine day one. It contains the November security patch as well. I'd reboot the phone and hit update a few times.

I've tried that. I've probably rebooted this phone 20+ times and hit the update button even more. Supposedly the November security update is rolling out to other devices later today, so hopefully that triggers it.

Oftentimes, your carrier will block updates from coming as soon as possible. I'm not 100% sure it happens on Pixels but for Galaxy phones (which often get the security update before Pixels) this does happen. I think T-Mobile is particular notorious for this.

I've canceled my Pixel 6 regular order. Right now I'm torn between getting a P6P or picking up an used S21 Ultra for less than the P6P. Decided I really want that super nice screen and all the doodads like zoom.

Back