Pixel 6 / Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6a

The weight is a design decision though, they don't have to be that heavy.
Am running Android 12 on a Pixel 4 XL and I don't see a double tap for screenshot in the gesture settings. Is that an exclusive feature for the Pixel 6?
I believe it's Pixel 5 and up exclusive.

It could very well be. It's under system/gestures.

I had 12 on my pixel 4XL and I'm finding lots of little tweak I didn't see before[
Looking at your screenshot it appears that the gesture for taking a screenshot is a Quick Tap, does that mean a single tap? You're right my Pixel 4 XL Android 12 gestures differ from the gestures in Pixel 6.

Last edited:
Looking at your screenshot it appears that the gesture for taking a screenshot is a Quick Tap, does that mean a single tap? You're right the Pixel 4 XL Android 12 gestures differ from the gestures in Pixel 6.

View attachment 407421
No it's definitely a double tap. It specifies in the next screen. Also you can change it to do various things, bring up assistant, open a specific app, etc. Doesn't have to be a screenshot if you don't want to.

I don't see that as being fair at all unless you are talking about shipping delays.

I would have to agree.

Sounds like it’s not perfect but a first iteration never is. It does sound like a fantastic phone at a excellent price (for the 6 at least) and I can only imagine that it will get better as Google updates and tweaks it.

The majority of reviews have been praising the phone.

Apple has done amazing things with its in-house chip and has only a fraction of the AI capabilities that Google is doing with their in-house Tensor chip.

Only good can come from Google getting serious about the hardware side of things now as that only ups the ante for the others to pick up their game.

I went from a pixel 5 to a 6 pro about 30 hours ago and I'm digging it so far. I've been a Google phone guy since moving from the Galaxy S2 to the Nexus 4 almost 10 years ago. This phone feels like the best yet.I was worried it was going to feel huge but it really just feels a little taller than the pixel 5.

I went from a pixel 5 to a 6 pro about 30 hours ago and I'm digging it so far. I've been a Google phone guy since moving from the Galaxy S2 to the Nexus 4 almost 10 years ago. This phone feels like the best yet.I was worried it was going to feel huge but it really just feels a little taller than the pixel 5.

Nice to hear :)

Any other impressions or comments?

So I'm ending my day with 4 hrs and 5 minutes of on screen Time....and I'm down to 11%.

But before you despair I took the phone out of the box and didn't charge it. It started at only 60% battery.

So it's only the first day and it's still obviously very early but I would say that's very good.

TGIF :) Congrats on you new 6 Pro owners. Excited to hear your thoughts this weekend.

My 6 Pro is now in Texas. Geeze this is the slowest delivery ever, like did it move out of the dude's Uber car onto someone's bicycle delivery. Not supposed to arrive for another 5 days.

Bleh, my unlocked Pixel 6 is being shipped by....TForce? Was supposed to be here today, now it's Sunday. Even though it's currently sitting in the next city over 15 minutes away.

Whatever, I can wait.

Got all my music, photos, videos, etc. ready to copy over. I figure I'll go with a clean install so I don't have any leftover Samsung nonsense or legacy settings carrying over.
Now it's just up to FedEx to get this thing to me sometime today. Hopefully sooner than later, too.

Yeah, I'm always torn when changing brands. Do the easy swap and spend an hour uninstalling the stuff that shouldn't be on the new phone, or do the transfer the 'difficult' way and manual install everything on a clean phone...

I figure re-downloading my apps shouldn't take that long since I don't play mobile games. Maybe an hour or two. All of my Google apps (and stuff like Uber/Lyft) are tied to accounts that have my settings saved on the account side. Copying my music, photos, etc. will take several hours, but I can just start that process before bed and it'll be done in a few hours.

I've never messed with gestures before, so I think I might give 'em a try since they're the default now. My wife got Android 12 on her Pixel 5 and they seem pretty natural. Worst case, I can always go back if I don't like them.

Couple early observations. So far my only real complaint, and it's not huge thing and it's something I knew going in is that the fingerprint reader feels like a generation or two old. Even with each thumb registered twice for better accuracy it still does miss my print occasionally. I'd say it's only accurate about 90-95%of the time. Also it's a little slow. You definitely have to pause for half a second before lifting your thumb. It's not instant like the newer Samsung readers. But it's something I saw in the reviews. I'm sure next years will probably upgrade to an ultrasonic reader like Samsung has.

Another observation is that that there is is a possible benefit to the curved edges. If you use gesture navigation, swiping in from the sides has never felt easier or more natural. Before on my pixel 4xl I would sometimes have to try a couple times with the motion but with this phone it's perfectly accurate every time. Could be just a better screen in general? Either way the gesture navigation has never felt more intuitive.

Bleh, my unlocked Pixel 6 is being shipped by....TForce? Was supposed to be here today, now it's Sunday. Even though it's currently sitting in the next city over 15 minutes away.

Whatever, I can wait.
TForce is a company that was brought out by UPS. They have been doing a lot of freight deliveries for my company the past year. I guess they moved on to doing residential also now.

Mine just showed up, so I'm installing a whole bunch of apps and copying my files over. Of course it's a busy day of work, too.
The first thing I noticed is that my icon color scheme is normal. None of that monochrome stuff 2/3 of the Pixel screenshots show. That's a definite relief.

Mine just showed up, so I'm installing a whole bunch of apps and copying my files over. Of course it's a busy day of work, too.
The first thing I noticed is that my icon color scheme is normal. None of that monochrome stuff 2/3 of the Pixel screenshots show. That's a definite relief.
You have to turn on themed icons for that look. It's an option. Hold on home screen and look under wallpaper and style.

Fantastic sort-of-review. I really like this guy's thoughts and take on both the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro. Specifically the size, last week he did an unboxing and gushed all over the beauty of the Cloudy White Pixel 6 Pro. Now today he's back with more thoughts, not a full on review yet, but his take on both phones and the sizes.

At first he's like the 6 Pro is super nice, but almost too large and too fancy, not typical for a Google Pixel phone, then goes to the 6 and says yeah this feels more Pixel, not as nice, but still good, and what he expects from Google. Then he said, let me try the 6 Pro again a few days later, and he's immediately drawn into the beautiful screen. and better haptics, and then changes his mind, and says, ok, maybe a fancy high end large Pixel is ok, and he ended up liking it, a lot.

Fantastic sort-of-review. I really like this guy's thoughts and take on both the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro. Specifically the size, last week he did an unboxing and gushed all over the beauty of the Cloudy White Pixel 6 Pro. Now today he's back with more thoughts, not a full on review yet, but his take on both phones and the sizes.

At first he's like the 6 Pro is super nice, but almost too large and too fancy, not typical for a Google Pixel phone, then goes to the 6 and says yeah this feels more Pixel, not as nice, but still good, and what he expects from Google. Then he said, let me try the 6 Pro again a few days later, and he's immediately drawn into the beautiful screen. and better haptics, and then changes his mind, and says, ok, maybe a fancy high end large Pixel is ok, and he ended up liking it, a lot.

As someone with small hands, there's no doubt that a small phone would definitely feel better in hand but I completely agree this is the first pixel device that truly feels like a premium device. The screen, haptics, build quality are all excellent.

I'm up and running for the most part. The fingerprint reader is definitely no worse/slower than my S20+. I set up 4 fingers for it and am having no issues.
I like the idea behind the "at a glance" function, but it takes up a lot of real estate. When I disable it, it still has the date up in the upper left. Is there a way to get rid of that completely? There's a widget that does the same thing, but I can actually change the size/shape/location. The default seems to just permanently take up a big chunk of space.

I just wish the whole heavy=premium thing would die though. Give me the Pixel 6 Pro or even the regular but weighing more like the 5a 5G or even the Oneplus 9 Pro.

I really hate FedEx!! :rage:

fedex.png

Good news I checked the FedEx shipping and it shows it arrived at a town 10 mi for me just recently but I have no idea what that means? Will I see that delivery tonight on a Friday night? Or will it be stuck and not come to me Monday?

Good news I checked the FedEx shipping and it shows it arrived at a town 10 mi for me just recently but I have no idea what that means? Will I see that delivery tonight on a Friday night? Or will it be stuck and not come to me Monday?
When it comes to FedEx, don't count on when it'll be delivered until it's in your hands.

I'm excited to know my phone is nearby with FedEx but zero clue as to when I'll receive it now?

Back