Pixel 6 / Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6a

Now to decide whether to pre-order now and get the free buds, or wait for possible Black Friday deals...

Well, my current Pixel 2 is kinda forcing my hand, as the battery has really been falling off a cliff the last week or two (e.g., ~15 minutes of browsing the news feeds killed off >10% of a full charge). It's as if it knows...

In for a black 128 GB P6 + the free buds in white (why no black Google?). Should be here mid-Nov.

Anyone have suggestions for quality tempered glass screen protectors? I've used the ones from InvisibleShield on past phones and they've been great, but I'm not optimistic that they'll have options for the 6.

I guess no one else uses these? And any thoughts on cases? I'm also not expecting Speck will release one for the P6.

I guess no one else uses these? And any thoughts on cases? I'm also not expecting Speck will release one for the P6.

I bought some cheap tempered glass protectors from Amazon for my pro. Scheduled to arrive Monday. It looks like it's only an edge adhesive kind so my hopes are not high. Phones with curved edges are always a PITA for curved glass protects.

I don't buy ZAGG on principle. Their protectors are alway so horribly overpriced.

By the way I have already a 3 pack of glass protectors for a regular pixel 6. I ordered by mistake and forgot to return. (I ordered a 6 pro)
This guy

(3 Pack) Supershieldz Designed for Google Pixel 6 Tempered Glass Screen Protector, Anti Scratch, Bubble Free https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095MCGDT...abc_H41GQGWAYJXSQFBT631R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone want it? I'll send it gratis to first person who wants it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Zagg has 6 and 6 pro for sale now. I've used them exclusively for my 3a and they've been great.

https://www.zagg.com/en_us/shop-by-device/google-pixel-6

Well that's a whiff on my part. I was only scrolling down to what's listed on the main InvisibleShield page. Thanks.

I don't buy ZAGG on principle. Their protectors are alway so horribly overpriced.

Yeah, they are very expensive compared to others. However, the tempered glass one I've had on my Pixel 2 for the last 4 years is as clean and clear as it was when I put it on. No scratches, bubbling, cracking, or any other issues. The plastic one of theirs I had on my Nexus 5 before that (also ~4 years) was very close to as good, only starting to come up a bit around the edges in its last year or so.

I buy glass screen shield from Bodyguardz. They're not cheap, but have a lifetime free replacement guarantee. They make curved screen shields, but it's not yet available for the 6 Pro.

My 6Pro is stuck in transit hell, was supposed to arrive today, now states delayed coming 11/02, and it taking the slow way from California, now in Navajo Nation, AZ, en-route. Is my phone in some guys Uber going cross country? I'll probably get my phone, and the box will have been opened already, and protective screen cover off, with nacho sauce dropped on it. LOL

Man if the iPhone 13 Pro Max wasn't back-ordered FOREVER, and out-of-stock everywhere, I'd dare say would get that instead, just for the battery life, and wait and hope for a Jailbreak.

Oh well.

Last edited:
In the case of someone like MKBHD, he is pretty consistent in how he tests phones.

I compare his use to how the battery is from phone to phone as a reference for battery life for him.

It gives me a baseline to compare the same phones with how I use them and I typically get much longer battery life than he does as I’m not on it all day for a review.

His SOT does not directly relate to my SOT but his use is consistent from phone to phone for his reviews so his conclusions on battery life can be used to compare a phone to a phone.

Trying to compare his conclusions with other reviewers or normal people is useless as everyone uses their phone differently.

I'm somewhat surprised about Marques' battery life claims, but I trust them. As was suggested earlier, this may just indicate that battery life varies more widely on Tensor than it does on rival chips. It certainly sounds like the base Pixel 6 is the best deal as it's still above its weight in that area.

This review and others raise an interesting question, though: is Apple "winning" this fight simply because it has the most consistent behavior? The iPhone 13's battery life is great for just about everything; the iPhone 13's camera system might not produce the best shots in every case, but it's considerably less likely to whiff a shot. Don't get me wrong, the Pixel 6 would still be my pick for an Android phone today, but its inconsistency is its greatest weakness.

I'm going to say now, the Pixel 7 Pro will be to the 6 Pro, what the iPhone 13 Pro is to the 12 Pro, if you get what I'm saying.

Last year's iPhone 12 Pro, actually got knocked for having just ok battery life, not bad, but not great. And the camera and photos it took were good, but not amazing. It was the new design, the old school iPhone 4 throwback style and FLAT screen that wow'd everyone. Along comes the 13 Pro this year, and it's battery life is vastly better than the 12 Pro's, and the cameras massively upgraded, taking great photos.

I see Google doing the same with the Pixel 7 Pro, much better battery life with Tensor 2 and maybe bump it up to a 5,500Mah battery, and with software fixes and camera tweaks the photos and videos will be improved.

Like with seemingly all mail from the Midwest, mine has been sitting in Carol Stream IL. for 2 days.

I foolishly believed Best Buy when they said "preorder today, pickup on 10/28" at my local store, so I cancelled my Google Store order that had an estimate of 11/3-11/4.

I got an email last night saying that my order was delayed but that they were still working on it. I wonder if Google promised each Best Buy store more units than they were actually going to receive.

I foolishly believed Best Buy when they said "preorder today, pickup on 10/28" at my local store, so I cancelled my Google Store order that had an estimate of 11/3-11/4.

I got an email last night saying that my order was delayed but that they were still working on it. I wonder if Google promised each Best Buy store more units than they were actually going to receive.
Best buy emailed me last night stating my order was ready for pick up and soon as the store opens today.

Around here, Best Buy is as good as the people running that particular store. I've learned that much helping friends try to secure a PS5. Seems the stores have some element of control over quantities of things and it isn't entirely related to how busy the store is or number of online orders, either.

Not moving;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211028-130656.png
    Screenshot_20211028-130656.png
    584.4 KB · Views: 0
Mine is finally in the state, so it should actually show up tomorrow. My case was sent via USPS and isn't supposed to show up until Tuesday now, though. Hopefully I don't drop it over the weekend.

This was taken on my 8T last weekend out in San Diego. I'll drop the original in a little while.

Attachments

• sandcastle2.jpg
    sandcastle2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
As in Friday just tomorrow, or next week Friday?
Tomorrow. It was supposed to be delivered Wednesday, then delayed until today, and now delayed again until tomorrow. A FedEx truck pulled into my driveway a couple hours ago. It stopped for about 5 minutes, then backed out and left. Thought that was strange.

Here's the original. Magic eraser is quite impressive. It works fairly well IMO. Certain things are better than others and certain colors show less of the changes than others as well. Overall though for those little things you don't want in an otherwise great picture I think it works great.

Attachments

• sandcastle1.jpg
    sandcastle1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I'm going to say now, the Pixel 7 Pro will be to the 6 Pro, what the iPhone 13 Pro is to the 12 Pro, if you get what I'm saying.

Last year's iPhone 12 Pro, actually got knocked for having just ok battery life, not bad, but not great. And the camera and photos it took were good, but not amazing. It was the new design, the old school iPhone 4 throwback style and FLAT screen that wow'd everyone. Along comes the 13 Pro this year, and it's battery life is vastly better than the 12 Pro's, and the cameras massively upgraded, taking great photos.

I see Google doing the same with the Pixel 7 Pro, much better battery life with Tensor 2 and maybe bump it up to a 5,500Mah battery, and with software fixes and camera tweaks the photos and videos will be improved.

Bigger battery means more weight to a phone many are concerned about weight already with the 6. Android just needs to work on optimization of its OS so it can take better advantage of the in-house chip like Apple has done.

13 ProMax weighs more than either Pixel due to materials used but has a smaller battery.

iPhone 13 PM battery is 4352 mAh

Pixel 6 is 4614 mAh

Pro is 5003 mAh

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Double tapping the back of the phone for a screenshot is nice 🙂
Am running Android 12 on a Pixel 4 XL and I don't see a double tap for screenshot in the gesture settings. Is that an exclusive feature for the Pixel 6?

Last edited:
Am running Android 12 on a Pixel 4 XL and I don't see a double tap for screenshot in the gesture settings. Is that an exclusive feature for the Pixel 6?

It could very well be. It's under system/gestures.

I had 12 on my pixel 4XL and I'm finding lots of little tweak I didn't see before
Screenshot_20211028-165536.png

Back