Pixel 6 / Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6a

Huge Nexus and now Pixel fan. But I have to say, a day after the reviews are out, I'm a bit underwhelmed disappointed in from what I'm reading on the Pixel 6 Pro.

- Camera = The early buzz and hype was crazy for this upgraded camera. People expecting this to blow away the iPhone 13 Pro and Galaxy S21 series, and the Pixel 6 would be the top dog by a wide margin. Now we come to find out, not so quick. This new camera is just a bit better than the Pixel 5's, and trades blows back and forth with the iPhone 13 Pro. It's not some brand new mind blowing futuristic next gen camera.

- Battery life = A brand new custom chipset, and huge 5,000mAh battery with a variable refresh rate LPTO display, I thought this thing would get killer battery life, maybe not 13 Pro Max battery, but at least close. Now in reality we're finding out not at all, the battery life is just ok, not bad, certainly not great, just good battery life.

- Display = I wanted a Pixel screen that gets bright like a new iPhone or Galaxy phone display brightness, I never expected Google to be better, but at least on par. But nope, it's still behind both, I think the iPhone 13 Pro gets like 1100 peak brightness, and the Galaxy S21 like 1000, but the 6 Pro gets like 850. And people saying the 120hz display on the 13 Pro feels smoother and less laggy when fast scrolling compared to the 6 Pro's ( maybe it needs a driver update? )

I'm not trying to knock this new Pixel, I have one on order, but it's not this super duper smartphone from the future, leaving the iPhone and Galaxy in the dust, like it seemed it was going to be. It's actually just on par with them, or maybe even lesser. But personally dissapointed in two things, the mediocre battery life, and average brightness display.

Last edited:
Small phones aren't coming back. Folding phones are set to replace both small and large phones in the next few years. The tech is getting pretty close right now, but it should be close to ideal in 18-24 months.

If that i your only excuse then you're not adding anything to the "reasons why you should buy this phone"

If the Small phones don't sell, can someone please explain for the class why the Pixel 5 has been sold-out for months? I'm hoping the massive invasion up-top means the 6s will be Pixel 5 / 4s sized
The 5 has been discontinued and the SOCs have been moved to the 5a 5g. it made no sense to keep the 5 when the regular 6 was going to be so cheap. The 5a 5g replaced the 5 as there budget phone. The 6 is the new mid range and Pro is the top. Its pretty damn solid.

If that i your only excuse then you're not adding anything to the "reasons why you should buy this phone"

If the Small phones don't sell, can someone please explain for the class why the Pixel 5 has been sold-out for months? I'm hoping the massive invasion up-top means the 6s will be Pixel 5 / 4s sized

Look at the iPhone Mini, it's about to be cancelled, massively undersold and didn't meet sales expectations per Apple. And the Pro Max is selling like hot cakes, sold out. The Pixel 5 being sold out, I honestly don't think it sold that well, and they cut production early leading up to the Pixel 6 line.

Huge Nexus and now Pixel fan. But I have to say, a day after the reviews are out, I'm a bit underwhelmed disappointed in from what I'm reading on the Pixel 6 Pro.

- Camera = The early buzz and hype was crazy for this upgraded camera. People expecting this to blow away the iPhone 13 Pro and Galaxy S21 series, and the Pixel 6 would be the top dog by a wide margin. Now we come to find out, not so quick. This new camera is just a bit better than the Pixel 5's, and trades blows back and forth with the iPhone 13 Pro. It's not some brand new mind blowing futuristic next gen camera.

- Battery life = A brand new custom chipset, and huge 5,000mAh battery with a variable refresh rate LPTO display, I thought this thing would get killer battery life, maybe not 13 Pro Max battery, but at least close. Now in reality we're finding out not at all, the battery life is just ok, not bad, certainly not great, just good battery life.

- Display = I wanted a Pixel screen that gets bright like a new iPhone or Galaxy phone display brightness, I never expected Google to be better, but at least on par. But nope, it's still behind both, I think the iPhone 13 Pro gets like 1100 peak brightness, and the Galaxy S21 like 1000, but the 6 Pro gets like 850. And people saying the 120hz display on the 13 Pro feels smoother and less laggy when fast scrolling compared to the 6 Pro's ( maybe it needs a driver update? )

I'm not trying to knock this new Pixel, I have one on order, but it's not this super duper smartphone from the future, leaving the iPhone and Galaxy in the dust, like it seemed it was going to be. It's actually just on par with them, or maybe even lesser.
I think Google gave everyone what people wanted. Flagship hardware for an affordable price which undercuts the competition with google software. Lets hope google gets the new sensors more consistent over time. Apple has always better in motion vs android. Why do you think apple stuck with 60hz for so long. But for 599$ price tag the regular 6 is the star. Lets hope the next Pro model does better. With the way One Plus went, they are just like every other Smart Phone manufacture which really just leaves google and Samsung to really compete along with a few other brands like Moto (by Lenovo) here in the states.

The translation thing is one of the main things that sold me, too...assuming it works even somewhat like they showed. I've used the standard translate app and the translation functions within lens countless times in Europe. If real time voice translation works even somewhat well, it can make going to a place where you don't speak the language a lot easier. Especially if you're in a place where they aren't even using the English alphabet. I've dabbled with that a little using translate/lens and it's just too many steps to be practical.

Zorachus
I feel very similar to you. I let the hype get to my head a bit for sure.

I think besides the battery life, everything else isn't that bad. It's a cliche to say this but uneven camera performance is something that can absolutely be improved with software updates. And even for the battery life, it's still as good as the S21 Ultra so that's really not bad at all (although it does look like 5G is more draining due to the older modem).

And taken in vacuum, without the hype, this phone is still extremely good, easily on par with what I think of as flagship phones from Samsung and Apple, with many unique features of its own while not actually being weak in the other areas. This is something Google had not achieved in the past so I think I'll try my best not to be too disappointed that the Pixel 6 isn't heads and shoulders above the rest.

If you got to the portion where he discusses battery life on both the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro, he says they're both fantastic, all day battery phones, playing games, streaming videos, listening to music in the background while texting, he's saying zero worries on either phone with the battery life.

I'm 99% certain the battery weakness is only when using 5G heavily. It's a non-Qualcomm modem AND half a generation behind (it uses the global S21 modem) so it's a double-whammy.

I do think not having a 1080p mode for the Pixel 6 Pro was a misstep although it's less than 30 minutes difference from the S21 Ultra that does have such a mode by default.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Even MKBD, I'm a big fan of Marques, lately he's become a bit full of himself, maybe becoming an elite millionaire changed him a bit?

But his reviews last couple years really aren't that detailed when you think about it. And they mostly focus on the camera and that's about it. I'm sick of camera's being the main focus of smartphone reviews, to me that's like 5th or 6th down the list of things I look for in buying a new phone. They need to ease up and stop putting so much into a cellphones camera. There's way more to a smartphone than the camera. It's a pocket computer, not a GoPro.

My main things I think about before buying a new smartphone;

#1: OS preference or version of the OS, to me it's stock Android
#2: Battery life
#3: Display, is it bright, and vibrant, and deep blacks
#4: UI smoothness, is it lag free and no jutter
#5: OS updates and support and security
#6: Camera ( to me any new phone has a great camera nowadays, Galaxy S21, 13 Pro, or 6 Pro, especially if coming from an older phone a new phone will for sure have a better camera )

Last edited:

1635276595648.png

What if you had AOD turned on? On all the other phones I've used with in-display fingerprint readers, if the AOD is on, you can just press without a previous tap.
Yes, if you prefer to always have your display on, access to the in-display fingerprint reader should remain accessible.

Last edited:

I'm impressed with the large amount of information Lisa put into that review. If I have any questions about how a phone and it's features will perform, I'm going to include her MobileTechReview.

Her viewers recognize her talent...

One of the best reviews that I've seen so far. Good, useful information and this is the 1st time I'm hearing some of this info despite watching multiple reviews before this one.- RagonroX

I really love your way of tech reviews! You add that little bit of depth from the real worlds use. This is why I always watch your videos as well, if really am onto buying something. - Leavus

First review I've seen that didn't spend 2/3 of the time speaking about the camera while still getting across it's quality. Good to see. We want to know about the phone as an overall experience not just specs and cameras. Great job as always, Lisa - franklingoodwin

Last edited:
My normal P6 and case just shipped, so the estimated delivery dates should be accurate. With a little luck I should have both on Friday.

My case and screen protector shipped from Amazon for my 6. Stuck with try and true Spigen liquid Air case. Simple, slim, and offers good protection.

I think Google gave everyone what people wanted. Flagship hardware for an affordable price which undercuts the competition with google software. Lets hope google gets the new sensors more consistent over time. Apple has always better in motion vs android. Why do you think apple stuck with 60hz for so long. But for 599$ price tag the regular 6 is the star. Lets hope the next Pro model does better. With the way One Plus went, they are just like every other Smart Phone manufacture which really just leaves google and Samsung to really compete along with a few other brands like Moto (by Lenovo) here in the states.

I really think the choice is now Pixel or iPhone.

Both represent the best of each iOS when you factor in the price of the Pixel and the years of updates. iPhone will never be bargain priced as that is not their business model.

For sh$ts sake the $19 Apple “polishing cloths” are on back order and ship now in 10-12 weeks. Stores that had them sold out today at most locations. I don’t get it but Apple is and has been the king in generating demand since the original iPhone.

Full disclosure, I am on an iPhone 12 Pro Max and it has been the best phone I have ever used. It just does everything well.

Had been an Android slappy for years starting with a Samsung Galaxy S2 and then alternating primarily between Google phones and OnePlus phones with a few Galaxy Notes in the mix.

OnePlus did do a great job originally with the OnePlus One which I was able to get early as an early supporter.

Bought every OnePlus phone up through and including the OnePlus 5 (which my oldest son is still using and trying to talk him into a Pixel 6).

Pixel 6 Pro has my attention though after trying it out at BestBuy. Very comparable phone and the first Android phone that has me looking at something other than an iPhone.

Your order is on its way

Estimated delivery date:​

Saturday, 10/30/2021​

The delivery date may be updated when FedEx receives the package.

Hope FedEx is on time as every package I have coming from FedEx gets the “Potentially Delayed” somewhere along the route.

I suspect it will be a long weekend of using the phone for you.

I really think the choice is now Pixel or iPhone.

Both represent the best of each iOS when you factor in the price of the Pixel and the years of updates. iPhone will never be bargain priced as that is not their business model.

For sh$ts sake the $19 Apple “polishing cloths” are on back order and ship now in 10-12 weeks. Stores that had them sold out today at most locations. I don’t get it but Apple is and has been the king in generating demand since the original iPhone.

Full disclosure, I am on an iPhone 12 Pro Max and it has been the best phone I have ever used. It just does everything well.

Had been an Android slappy for years starting with a Samsung Galaxy S2 and then alternating primarily between Google phones and OnePlus phones with a few Galaxy Notes in the mix.

OnePlus did do a great job originally with the OnePlus One which I was able to get early as an early supporter.

Bought every OnePlus phone up through and including the OnePlus 5 (which my oldest son is still using and trying to talk him into a Pixel 6).

Pixel 6 Pro has my attention though after trying it out at BestBuy. Very comparable phone and the first Android phone that has me looking at something other than an iPhone.

Great post and I mostly agree. To me the smartphone market is only Pixel Pro / XL, or iPhone Pro Max. That's it.

I also have the 12 Pro Max, and it is a great smartphone indeed a fantastic device actually. To me it's just iOS I'm not a fan of, but it certainly has gotten much much better over the years, compared to my last iPhone the 7 Plus. But I still prefer stock Android myself.

But Apple's so close to making iOS almost make me give up Android and Pixel for good with just a few tweaks or changes to iOS I'd go iPhone all the way and never look back, if they'd do these few things, which are doubtful;

- Set default apps to whatever I want.
- AoD ( Always on Display ) and no I don't want an iWatch
- Back button or gesture swipe back just like Android does on the right side of the screen
- Custom icon packs and some basic theming
- Allow FaceID to unlock to the homescreen without needing to swipe up. Like the Pixel 4 does.
- Finger Printer Scanner on the power button
- No notch
- Voice-to-text dictation as good as the Pixel 6 and Tensor
- Get Siri or create something as good as Google Assistant AI, or just rent Google Assitant from Google to be the default AI search on the iPhone.

I mean is anyone really surprised that a tweaked Samsung SOC isn't a battery champion?

I'm sticking with my Pixel 5. I'm not a power user anymore, so it's "good enough" for my needs and the size is better for me.

Great post and I mostly agree. To me the smartphone market is only Pixel Pro / XL, or iPhone Pro Max. That's it.

I also have the 12 Pro Max, and it is a great smartphone indeed a fantastic device actually. To me it's just iOS I'm not a fan of, but it certainly has gotten much much better over the years, compared to my last iPhone the 7 Plus. But I still prefer stock Android myself.

But Apple's so close to making iOS almost make me give up Android and Pixel for good with just a few tweaks or changes to iOS I'd go iPhone all the way and never look back, if they'd do these few things, which are doubtful;

- Set default apps to whatever I want.
- AoD ( Always on Display ) and no I don't want an iWatch
- Back button or gesture swipe back just like Android does on the right side of the screen
- Custom icon packs and some basic theming
- Allow FaceID to unlock to the homescreen without needing to swipe up. Like the Pixel 4 does.
- Finger Printer Scanner on the power button
- No notch
- Voice-to-text dictation as good as the Pixel 6 and Tensor
- Get Siri or create something as good as Google Assistant AI, or just rent Google Assitant from Google to be the default AI search on the iPhone.
I wonder if Apple realizes how close they are to making a lot of once-hardcore Android users jump ship. I already owned an iPhone 11 for a while and mostly liked it. My list of what I want from Apple that would make me switch over is very similar to yours (but somewhat more lenient in many ways lol).

Here's a funny factoid: we're approaching a point where it may be possible to jailbreak an iPhone and continue to use Apple Pay while a rooted Android phone cannot use Google Pay.

Last edited:
After one hour I am back on my Oneplus 8
This Pixel 6 is a damn heavy and bulky
FP reader is slow

What? Do tell more. Do you have the 8 Pro or 8T?

Just a regular 8
I did not test the camera. All I care is about he usability in hand and the regular Pixel 6 is a monster, especially in a case while the OP8 is a slimmer and lighter and more pleasant to use. Also the FP reader is a lot faster on the OnePlus. I'll keep playing with the Pixel 6 but I am not switching over yet.

Just a regular 8
I did not test the camera. All I care is about he usability in hand and the regular Pixel 6 is a monster, especially in a case while the OP8 is a slimmer and lighter and more pleasant to use. Also the FP reader is a lot faster on the OnePlus. I'll keep playing with the Pixel 6 but I am not switching over yet.

Interesting. Keep us posted.

I wonder if Apple realizes how close they are to making a lot of once-hardcore Android users jump ship. I already owned an iPhone 11 for a while and mostly liked it. My list of what I want from Apple that would make me switch over is very similar to yours (but somewhat more lenient in many ways lol).

Here's a funny factoid: we're approaching a point where it may be possible to jailbreak an iPhone and continue to use Apple Pay while a rooted Android phone cannot use Google Pay.

If I could have an untethered stable JB on a iPhone 13 Pro Max, I’d be all in and probably not even buy a Pixel 6.

My Pixel 6 with case is literally the same size as my wife's iPhone 13 Max with case as well.

Just a regular 8

I told you folks his earlier - Google cranked-up the battery capacity in exchange for more bulk (as opposed to earlier more refined Qualcomm chipsets that could get similar battery life with HALF the capacity!

The ARM X1 is literally throwing paint buckets t at wall(without a paintbrush!) and seeing what sticks...and when you double the cans of paint,, you get 5% higher peak dual-thread performance in exchange for 50% higher power!

I adore my Pixel 2's light weight,but if were ever forced to upgrade to 21:9,the bulkiest phone I would accept would be the 5a...when phones like the Samsung s21 weigh even less, it looks pretty embarrassing!

Last edited:
You're obviously wrong since the Pixel 5a has the same battery capacity as the Pixel 6 so bulk has nothing to do with it. The extra weight is really a design decision because people tend to equate weight with "quality".

But you're pretty much at the same level of logic so this probably won't make any impression on you.

After one hour I am back on my Oneplus 8
This Pixel 6 is a damn heavy and bulky
FP reader is slow
So you somehow got a pixel early, tested it for an hour and never bothered to even open the camera once? Yeah that totally sounds plausible. Or did you play with the phone in Best Buy for an hour straight?

Also here are the dimensions compared between the oneplus 8 and pixel 6.

One plus 8 160.2 x 72.9 x 8 mm)
Pixel 6 158.6 x 74.8 x 8.9 mm)

Weight:​

6.35 oz (180.0 g)
7.30 oz (207.0 G)

So one of these is is a bulky monster while the other is light pleasant to use princess?
Yeah really credible there considering those MASSIVELY different dimensions. Try again.

Last edited:
Anyone have suggestions for quality tempered glass screen protectors? I've used the ones from InvisibleShield on past phones and they've been great, but I'm not optimistic that they'll have options for the 6.

So you somehow got a pixel early, tested it for an hour and never bothered to even open the camera once? Yeah that totally sounds plausible. Or did you play with the phone in Best Buy for an hour straight?

Also here are the dimensions compared between the oneplus 8 and pixel 6.

One plus 8 160.2 x 72.9 x 8 mm)
Pixel 6 158.6 x 74.8 x 8.9 mm)

Weight:​

6.35 oz (180.0 g)
7.30 oz (207.0 G)

So one of these is is a bulky monster while the other is light pleasant to use princess?
Yeah really credible there considering those MASSIVELY different dimensions. Try again.

That is exactly how this phone feels. Bulky and heavy with a better camera.

My Pixel 6 Pro arrives today. Will post once it's here in the next 2-6 hours (come on FedEx for once in your life be early for me). Will be able to give a good comparison between my OnePlus 8T+ and the 6 Pro then.

WTF

Your order has been delayed​
Your order was delayed while it was on its way. We are working to get it in your hands soon. To see the latest shipping dates, track your shipment.

Back