Pixel 6 / Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6a

I live in Sri Lanka where our currency has depreciated like crazy against the USD, so I ended buying another Pixel 5 since I don't think I would be able to afford the 6... *sad*

This will get announced next month and released who knows when. Google wants me to order the new iPhone this week, though.

https://www.gsmarena.com/the_pixel_..._share_is_getting_fabric_cases-news-50926.php

Here's something new. Anyone a fan of active edge or battery share? I disabled active edge on my Pixel 2 because I'd always squeeze it by mistake while jogging. Never even tried battery share even though it seems like my S20+ has it. Feels VERY situational, but I guess it could help with wireless headphones or maybe on someone's dying phone in an Uber ride.

So does the regular Pixel 6 have 120hz or just 90hz? Seems there’s rumors on both

Anyone a fan of active edge or battery share? I disabled active edge on my Pixel 2 because I'd always squeeze it by mistake while jogging. Never even tried battery share even though it seems like my S20+ has it. Feels VERY situational, but I guess it could help with wireless headphones or maybe on someone's dying phone in an Uber ride.
Enabled Active Edge on my 4 XL when I got the phone, a year and a half ago. Tried it and was not impressed - disabled it the same day. Never thought about it until your post. Besides, I am not keen on applying any pressure, no matter what the amount, to bend my frame inward,

Apparently the Pixel 6's have been verified NOT to have Active Edge. Not a shock. It just felt way too easy to activate by accident. I'm also not sure squeezing anything is a natural way for us to use touch devices with no obvious buttons.

Look again when he rotates the phone and you see it reach a side view. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the distance the cameras extend, appear to be minimal.

9to5 Google wrote the following today, it goes along with what I have been reading elsewhere. I was originally hoping that it would be a 2.5D contoured edge, which has no waterfall effect. I'll wait out this year, and see if Google releases a flat screen Pixel flagship next year.

"Beyond the finish, we can also get a slight sense of the curved glass on the front of the phone. The dark theme on the setup screen doesn’t offer the best point of reference, but it’s pretty clear that the curve of the glass will be fairly similar to the OnePlus 8/9 Pro and older Samsung products that had the same design feature. Looking at official renders, it sure seems likely that Google’s display will bleed over that edge".

Last edited:
9to5 Google wrote the following today, the last sentence goes along with what I have been reading elsewhere about the curved screen. I was originally hoping that it would be a 2.5D contoured edge, which has no waterfall effect. I will wait out this year, and see if Google releases a flat screen Pixel flagship next year.

"Beyond the finish, we can also get a slight sense of the curved glass on the front of the phone. The dark theme on the setup screen doesn’t offer the best point of reference, but it’s pretty clear that the curve of the glass will be fairly similar to the OnePlus 8/9 Pro and older Samsung products that had the same design feature. Looking at official renders, it sure seems likely that Google’s display will bleed over that edge".
I'm still going to try the 6 Pro, but in all likelihood will end up with the standard 6.

I currently have s21 ultra. Seeing that samsing is making oneui 4.0 boring AF and gimping it, I may switch to the pixel 6 pro. Would this be a bad idea? Seems it would be a side grade spec wise. My mother in law always takes my phone whenever I get something else lol. Android 12 stock looks way better than what Samsung is doing to it and I usually prefer Samsung's tweaks because they add features that stock android doesn't have. Samsung is ruining it this year.

I currently have s21 ultra. Seeing that samsing is making oneui 4.0 boring AF and gimping it, I may switch to the pixel 6 pro. Would this be a bad idea? Seems it would be a side grade spec wise. My mother in law always takes my phone whenever I get something else lol. Android 12 stock looks way better than what Samsung is doing to it and I usually prefer Samsung's tweaks because they add features that stock android doesn't have. Samsung is ruining it this year.
Samsung has great hardware, but their software sux. Once you go pure Android with a Pixel it's awfully hard to go back to any other OS.

I would say this Pixel 6 Pro, is the super Android phone, fans have been asking for, for years now.

Meaning I would always here or read statements of people saying, man I wish Samsung would build another GPE phone again ( Galaxy S4 GPE being the last one ), people wanting the great Samsung hardware and design but running stock Android. Well the Pixel 6 Pro is pretty much a Samsung spec'd phone, running stock vanilla Android 12.

So the Pixel 6 Pro is sort of a mash up of like a high end Samsung Galaxy Ultra phone hardware, running the great stock Android OS.

What can it do that phones 3 years ago couldnt do?

Curved edge displays blow. I much prefer the FLAT screen like the iPhone 12 / 13 line.

I hate looking at a curved screen outside and sometimes the indoor light hits it just right that it gets in the way. I was hoping the 6 would have been one flat screen one curved but now im really considering to just get the 5A.

Last edited:
What can it do that phones 3 years ago couldnt do?

I hate looking at a curved screen outside and sometimes the indoor light hits it just right that it gets in the way. I was hoping the 6 would have been one flat screen one curved but now im really considering to just get the 5A.
Do me the main thing curved screens are more prone to cracking and are more of a PITA to protect.

Do me the main thing curved screens are more prone to cracking and are more of a PITA to protect.
Tell me about, I dropped my OP 7pro and the corner cracked.

I'd even pay to fix it if OP didnt charge 200. The phone only cost me 450 new so thats hard to justify.

I'm extremely curious where the Pixel 6 pricing will fall in? ( U.S. market )

Keep in mind, last years Pixel 5 launched @ $800, and the base model Pixel 6 is a huge upgrade over that, so I would think the regular Pixel 6 will be $899, and the Pixel 6 Pro is the top dog king Pixel phone, I'll be shocked if it starts less than $1,000.

I think Google's "At a Glance" widget was a Pixel 2 exclusive for a while, although it's now available for other devices. I'm planning on rolling with that one + digital clock again. I like being able to see the time, temp/weather, and calendar at a glance, plus I can tap them to get more detailed info via the full apps. They can pry that widget from my cold, dead hands.
I really like the new look and feel of Google's in-house apps though. They've been rolling out over the last couple weeks and the little splash of color they added goes a long way.

AccuWeather's widget works for me

Screenshot_20210928-231912.png

Pixel 4XL side by side comparison of specs to the Pixel 6 | Pixel 6 Pro.
Didn't realize that the P4 XL had the greater amount of screen ppi density.
As for how the P4 XL battery compares, let's not talk about that.
GSM Arena.

Edit: if you are using your phone to view the link select view "Desktop site" mode in your browser.

Last edited:
I like that the size of the Pixel 6 is nearly identical to the 4 XL, which I found the perfect size and shape.
That's the first thing I noticed and I like that too. Actually, the specs show that the phones' height, width, and thickness are exactly the same size. Where they differ is in the size of the display, the Pixel 4XL is 6.3 inches, Pixel 6 is 6.4inches. The difference is accounted for by the overall size of the bezels.
And with a 4,600mAh battery and 1080p screen it should hopefully have amazing battery life.
Agreed.

Last edited:
I don't really like the weird earth-tone monochrome icons and widgets they keep showing. Hopefully that's tweakable, because I'm loving the look and feel of Google apps right now. They aren't following that AT ALL.

Size-wise, I think the normal Pixel 6 is perfect for my needs. Not too large, not too small. I figure it'll probably be my last normal form-factor phone before we all swap over to folding devices. My boss got one of the folding Samsung phones and the tech is getting pretty good. It isn't perfect, but it's already way better than the first revisions. I figure it'll pretty close to ideal within 18 months.

Back