Pixel 5A

Anyone else still using their 5a?

The camera on mine has started acting up. Flash metering is off. About 75% of the time when taking a picture using flash, the camera messes up metering and it results in an image that is so underexposed it is close to all black.

It almost feels intentional. This doesn't come across as a hardware failure, but rather as something in software. And it started happening just as I started ignoring the repeated marketing emails from Google to upgrade my phone. 🤔

Anyone else having issues like these, or is it just me?

The plan was to just grab a third party ROM once official support ends, and keep using this thing as long as possible, since I don't like any new phones these days... Now I wonder if that is going to be viable...

A friend of mine just ditched a 5a. With his, it was that magical point (that seems to happen to all Android phones after 3'ish years) where the battery life fell off a cliff. It was usable, but he'd be at like 15% battery life by mid afternoon. My Pixel 6 would be at like 85% and we were using them the same ways. He reset the thing and it didn't change anything, so he sold it and bought an 8.

Anyone else still using their 5a?
I'm dailying a OnePlus 11 but the 5a is a backup phone. My first one died and this was a replacement from Google RMA. I was outside the one year warranty but they extended it to two years for NA/Japan.

The plan was to just grab a third party ROM once official support ends, and keep using this thing as long as possible, since I don't like any new phones these days... Now I wonder if that is going to be viable...
I'd probably recommend crDroid or LineageOS. crDroid will be more feature rich, but LineageOS will probably receive updates for a significantly longer time. BlissRom is available too but updates seem sporadic. I'm not entirely sure a custom ROM will fix the issue you have with the camera, but it's worth a shot. I never had that particular issue on my original or the replacement phone I got.

second LineageOS. At least you can rule out a hardware defect. You can always go back to official... Who know maybe a complete wipe will fix things.

Back