Pixel 5 early news

Curious does everybody use dark theme all the time anybody like the old school light theme or or does anyone set it up for light theme on a daytime dark theme on a night time?

I wish there was a way to hide the status bar and get more screen real estate. Especially in browsers. There was an old version of the Samsung Internet Browser that allowed the status bar to be hidden, but no idea which version that was.

I know if I root I can use the System Tuner app that has those options, but probably won't root just for that.

If Google wants to turn on those software camera features by default so DxOMark can review the out of the box experience consistently as they do for every other phone out there, be my guest. Asking DxOMark to judge a phone differently because it’s “Google” is not exactly fair for all other phones out there. The lengths people will go to give Google an advantage in probably the most standardized smartphone photography test there is is ridiculous. Were you happy that certain devices cheats on benchmark tests when they detect that a benchmark is happening? If not, why should we allow Google to cheat on this?

If Google wants to turn on those software camera features by default so DxOMark can review the out of the box experience consistently as they do for every other phone out there, be my guest. Asking DxOMark to judge a phone differently because it’s “Google” is not exactly fair for all other phones out there. The lengths people will go to give Google an advantage in probably the most standardized smartphone photography test there is is ridiculous. Were you happy that certain devices cheats on benchmark tests when they detect that a benchmark is happening? If not, why should we allow Google to cheat on this?

I thought it was obvious that they should be using whatever features the phone software offers for various situations, regardless of OEM. So no one is asking them to judge Google differently, just to use the camera app as anyone that cares enough to read a camera review about them would. As if the pop-up in the camera app to "try night sight" when shooting a low-lit scene wouldn't prompt even the lowest layman to tap it in order to get a better shot in those scenes either. Ideally, they would test the camera using both methods; out of box/default configuration and while using whatever modes/features available to them to get the best shot for the scene.

It's funny you bring up the benchmark cheating scenario too, as again, no one really cares about benchmarks for the same reason that no one really cares about low-light performance of a camera while not using its dedicated night mode, because both situations don't realistically reflect their real-world performance.

Regardless of how you feel about their testing methods, citing them as any sort of definitive source for camera quality is going to be dismissed and called out by anyone who actually cares about camera performance. I'm not trying to defend Google specifically either, as I've been as critical (or even more so) of Pixels in most of my posts in this sub-forum. I've said repeatedly that I would probably be getting a Samsung or OP phone otherwise if it wasn't for the camera edge that Pixels have, which is pretty obvious to anyone that's actually looked at any camera comparisons between them, which I've seen most of them across Youtube and tech review sites and they all have unanimously favored the Pixel's shots overall by more than DxOMark's "objective" difference.

I've never heard on DxOMark, but I posted some photos in this thread and they look great. Come to your own conclusion.

Just put my SIM into this phone, let's see how it goes today so far it looks like a full-bar 5G
What carrier and region are you in? I still haven't got 5G on Verizon or Google Fi.

But according to someone on Reddit, Google is releasing an OTA update on Nov 10th to fix 5G.

So 5G finally appeared, I can see the icon and I have full bars, but speed still seems no better than 4G.

Outside in an open area I got up to 64Mbps, which is acceptable but far lower than I was expecting.

Any idea why the download speed is so slow?

So 5G finally appeared, I can see the icon and I have full bars, but speed still seems no better than 4G.

Outside in an open area I got up to 64Mbps, which is acceptable but far lower than I was expecting.

Any idea why the download speed is so slow?

Sounds about right from what I've seen of 5G speeds in most carrier testing I've seen, which is about the same or only moderately faster than 4G speeds depending on the area and band used. From what I've seen/read, 5G is more about better sustained performance in highly congested areas where you have a lot of devices on one tower or AP for the mmWave stuff. Hopefully it shows when you go to a major event like a concert or race, where if you've ever been to one, service is virtually unusable unless the carriers bring in some of those mobile towers to mitigate it a bit.

Now that it's the work week and I'm using my phone for my cl customers and stuff phone calls sound like absolute garbage on this phone. This is extremely disappointing I've had several different calls and they all sound like they're underwater or far away.

we'll see the rest of the day but this might be a deal breaker I mean not keeping the phone just terrible at earpiece quality during the phone call.

Whereas my Pixel 4 XL was totally normal worked perfect for phone calls never an issue hearing anybody. But this pixel 5 is night and day worse.

Now actually using the Pixel 5 during workday, I have to say not terribly impressed. My 4 XL felt way more premium, and better sound for sure, more solid and not like a little toy. I don't know, not loving the phone right now, it's ok. And I'm a huge Nexus / Pixel fan, but this just seems kind weak.

So just for the heck of it I stop by my local T-Mobile store and looked at the OnePlus 8T and I do like pixel phones more than one plus, but specifically comparing the Pixel 5 to the 8T there's no comparison the AT just seems much higher quality night and day better screen technology, I felt a lot smoother and more fluid OS. For a similar price ranges the AT just seemed significantly better.

Yeah, I agree. The call quality is not great. However, I have gotten used to it.

One thing I noticed, I think the case you use affects how the under screen speaker works. My original case was a clear TPU style, and it was hard to hear phone conversations.

I switched for a black TPU thin case, and call audio has seemed to improve. Or maybe I just adjusted to it. Not sure, but it's acceptable now.

This is the case I'm using, if you want to try: https://www.amazon.com/SunSam-Google-Protector-Scratch-Resistant/dp/B08K2HY5YD

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's unfortunate, but I understand Google is trying to innovate (and wanted the edge to edge screen) so I guess compromises were made.

To be honest, I don't make a lot of phone calls. I mostly use text messaging and maybe I make like 5 or 6 calls a week tops. So for me, it's not so bad.

I'll have to test again, but my first impression is that the audio in general is not as good as the Pixel 2 XL. Though when I listen to music or do any serious video watching, I use Bluetooth anyhow.

So it's not a deal breaker for me. As I said, it's still acceptable quality and I can understand what people are saying on the phone, even if it has a kind of muffled sound to it.

Other than the audio, just about everything else is perfect on the phone, so I will roll with it.

I am surprised that reviewers didn't make a bigger deal, though. I watched all the videos in this thread and while it was mentioned, I feel like it was glossed over a bit. Not the end of the world.

I'm on the phone for business a lot Mon - Fri, probably a good couple dozen phone calls a day, so in a work week easily 100+ phone calls weekly, at least. Which is pretty normal, nothing crazy. Business still requires that face to face or talking person to person, can't do everything just via text and e-mail. So a phone with a muffled SCUBA sound really sucks.

My Pixel 4 XL sounded great on the phone, just perfect. Disappointing that the Pixel 5 stepped way down here.

Haptics vibration are weaker too on this Pixel 5.

It's hard to describe, but the phone just feels sort of cheap, like really cheap, as almost an after thought by Google. or like they were thinking, ok this year 2020 with COVID, no new Pixel phone, and the few nerds that work on the Google Pixel team down in the basement at Head Quarters, probably said, nooo, just give us anything to release please, so Google threw a few pennies towards development, and this is what we got.

Just canceled my P5 order. Didn't want to, but I value the opinions of the guys here on [H], especially when it comes to PC gear and phones. Maybe we'll get a surprise P6XL in March like some of the YT guys suspect.

Just canceled my P5 order. Didn't want to, but I value the opinions of the guys here on [H], especially when it comes to PC gear and phones. Maybe we'll get a surprise P6XL in March like some of the YT guys suspect.
Fair enough. Honestly, I would have been fine sticking with my Pixel 2 XL for another year. I already got the 5, and I'm attached to it now, but it was an unnecessary upgrade.

Also, after doing more tests, the graphics performance leaves something to be desired. I knew it was an on older chip, but I did 3dMark and it was far behind the other popular new phones.

And I haven't got the advertised 5G speed either. The main thing I like is the 90Hz screen, and the animations and performance for basic stuff is pretty good. Plus the size/weight is a lot better.

So it was more of a side-grade, but I can be happy with it. Depending on what you do with the phone, it may not be for you.

Put my SIM card back in my Pixel 4 XL and man this feels like the new premium Google flagship their newer phone and the Pixel 5 now feels like something from a few years ago in comparison.

The 4 XL screen looks sharper. The feel in hand is better and premium. The haptics better. The speakers are better.

The only thing great on the Pixel 5 is the battery life, it truly is OUTSTANDING.

Last edited:
In my opinion if you gave a non tech person that doesn't know about phones, you hand them both the Pixel 4 XL and Pixel 5, but didn't say the name and year of either phone.

I would think people would say the 4 XL is the brand new flagship from Google in 2020 and they'd say the Pixel 5 is an older phone from a few years ago.

In my opinion if you gave a non tech person that doesn't know about phones, you hand them both the Pixel 4 XL and Pixel 5, but didn't say the name and year of either phone.

I would think people would say the 4 XL is the brand new flagship from Google in 2020 and they'd say the Pixel 5 is an older phone from a few years ago.
I made this determination purely based on the specs of the phone... Seriously this phone is $150 too expensive. What makes this phone be so much more expensive than the Pixel 4a 5G? And what makes this phone cost the same as an iPhone 12 mini? It is astounding how y’all would defend the Pixel 5 on its pricing. It’s great $500-$550 phone. But at $700, get out of here, Google. The Galaxy 20 FE 5G is $550 unlocked at BestBuy right now, and the featherweight Pixel 5 is trying to compete with the heavyweight iPhone?!? I have no interest in getting a Pixel 5 until the price matches their true weight class.

Here is a shot of night sight and the pano lens.

Pixel5.jpg

Even though I went back to the 4 XL, ONLY due to the earpiece speaker, which totally sucked on my Pixel 5 and almost useless for phone calls. But I still kept the Pixel 5, I might give to my son, for his first smartphone.

But playing around with the Pixel 5 this week as a WiFi phone, I have to say the battery life is insane, so great, I know it's on WiFi only, but it last me a good 3+ days, as just a house WiFi phone. And everything about the phone is very nice, the size is extremely comfortable, the display seems a bit brighter and overall a little nicer than my 4 XLs.

Only two knocks on this for me, the earpiece speaker blows, phone calls sound tinny and cheap like coming out from a baby's plastic play toy phone. And I do see a very slight lag or little hiccup in browsing and doing some tasks on the phone, that I don't get on my 4 XL. I would say the Pixel 4 XL is smoother less lag than the Pixel 5, but slightly, not saying the Pixel 5 is a laggy phone, no.

When I use the Pixel 5 around the house for a few hours, then go back to my Pixel 4 XL, the 4 XL just seems HUGE gigantic, then I'll use the 4 XL for awhile get used to it again, and go back to the Pixel 5 and it seems small like a toy phone. It's funny how we adjust to a phone's size after an hour of use.

I will say, I really like the front design of the Pixel 5, I mean the all screen minimal bezel, and the bezels are equal on all four sides looks very nice.

Just popped my SIM back into the Pixel 5, giving it another shot. The size really is cool, and the minimal bezels with all screen is futuristic looking.

Let's see how this goes?

Yeah, you should give it a second chance.

I really like the phone now, and the call quality isn't so bad after you get used to it.

Besides the audio, everything is nice on this phone.

I had to exchange my wife's pixel 5 because it seemed to have a defective receiver. Nobody could hear her when she made a phone call. Replacement seems to be fine. Other than that hiccup, my wife really loves the phone. Battery life is phenomenal.

Wish that article had come out like 1 week ago, but I guess you can't go back in time.

All things said, I still like the phone. Knowing everything I do now, maybe I would have waited longer with my Pixel 2 XL. But it's not so bad that I'd consider returning it.

The main issue is that the other popular Android phones I don't really like (Samsung's version of Android is iffy and I don't enjoy bloatware).

I also find that stock Android on Pixel doesn't get slower, it's a very stable and solid platform. And I'm all in with Google, I don't think I'd ever consider an iPhone.

So, I'll live with it. Google made some odd choices, but I think the phone is still worth $700. Certainly I think $1,000+ for a phone is too much, so it's nice to see it's somewhat affordable.

And I got used to the audio, it's not so bad. My main complaint is that 5G is not as fast as the marketing BS out there, but I don't think that's the fault of the phone. Otherwise it's pretty sweet.

Just curious if all of you paid $700 for this phone. I'm on Verizon and bought the phone from best buy for my wife. From day one they were offering the phone for $500 if you were opening up a new line ($200 off) or $600 ($100 off) if you were using an existing phone upgrade. Usually discounts aren't offered for at least a couple months so it was a pleasant surprise. Even at $600 which is what I paid, the phone is a great value IMO.

Third party launchers not working?

So I've tried both Nova and Lawnchair launchers on my Pixel 5, and both have the same issue, when swiping up to go back Home, it resets back to the default Pixel launcher.

I looked in settings for both launchers, as to why it's doing that, but can't find why?

Is this a known issue, that launchers don't work on Android 11?

Third party launchers not working?

So I've tried both Nova and Lawnchair launchers on my Pixel 5, and both have the same issue, when swiping up to go back Home, it resets back to the default Pixel launcher.

I looked in settings for both launchers, as to why it's doing that, but can't find why?

Is this a known issue, that launchers don't work on Android 11?
Am running Nova Launcher problem free on Pixel 4 XL with Android 11.

1. Tap open Settings (the phone's Settings not any launcher settings).
2. The "Search Settings" field box will display at the top of the window that opened.
3. In that field box Enter "default home" without the quotes. When you do that you will see a setting titled Default Home App appear immediately below.
4. Tap on that Default Home App setting and verify that your desired launcher is toggled on.

Last edited:
Finally seeing decent 5G speed on Google Fi. Just clocked 140 Mbps around LAX airport. I know some people have got faster but that is more than enough for me.

So this was my first real test of the battery traveling today. Woke up at 7 AM and I've been out and about all day. Talked on the phone for a few hours over data, web browsing, email, maps, and normal phone stuff (no video or music). Most of this was on the 5G.

I managed to make it to 9:15 PM before the battery ended up at 2%. So that's just over 14 hours. I guess that is good, all things considering, but my Pixel 2 XL was able to hang just as well. Even with the huge battery on the 5, I guess 5G just eats juice.

In contrast, if I'm at home all day on WiFi I can make it to bed with like 80-90%. So I'm pretty sure it's the 5G.

So this was my first real test of the battery traveling today. Woke up at 7 AM and I've been out and about all day. Talked on the phone for a few hours over data, web browsing, email, maps, and normal phone stuff (no video or music). Most of this was on the 5G.

I managed to make it to 9:15 PM before the battery ended up at 2%. So that's just over 14 hours. I guess that is good, all things considering, but my Pixel 2 XL was able to hang just as well. Even with the huge battery on the 5, I guess 5G just eats juice.

In contrast, if I'm at home all day on WiFi I can make it to bed with like 80-90%. So I'm pretty sure it's the 5G.

How much screen-on time was that though on 5G? I'm also curious if you can disable 5G for better battery life, which I don't think you should have to or would make much sense since one of the main reasons OEMs are using the SD 765G is that it has the integrated 5G modem. So I wouldn't think it should use any more power to use in 5G than 4G or any other bands.

Try this out though; on the dialer, dial *#*#4636#*#*, a menu will come up and select "phone information", then see what options are in the "set preferred network type" menu (make sure you remember its default selection so you can go back to it if you change it). This is how I force my 2 XL to LTE sometimes, so I'm wondering if there's any options to disable 5G in there as well and what impact that has on battery life, if any.

...make sure you remember its default selection so you can go back to it if you change it.

That's good advice. There is a significant amount of complex settings in there. I would suggest you take a screenshot of each window prior to making your first change.

It was around 4 hours of screen on time I think when I looked in the battery settings. I don't know how to tell whether it was due to 5G or something else, that was just my guess.

Dang, too many good phones to choose from in this price bracket. I think I'll let the BF sales decide for me if I'll pick this up to replace my 2 XL. Really though, it's hard to go wrong between this, the S20 series, and current OP phones though.

Dang, too many good phones to choose from in this price bracket. I think I'll let the BF sales decide for me if I'll pick this up to replace my 2 XL. Really though, it's hard to go wrong between this, the S20 series, and current OP phones though.
Yeah you have some good options. P5 will give you arguably best camera and battery life. S20 FE will give you the best screen and likely best specs on paper. Op will give you likely the smoothest/fastest software experience. Just depends on what you prioritize most. But yeah, the big discounts may push you one way over the other.

Got an e-mail from Google with a "sneak preview" of BF sales; $50 off Pixel 5. Lame. Might bite at $100 off, but def not $50. They were $200 off last year and also the year before I think, which even considering their higher prices then was much more of a percentage off than $50 from $700.

Got an e-mail from Google with a "sneak preview" of BF sales; $50 off Pixel 5. Lame. Might bite at $100 off, but def not $50. They were $200 off last year and also the year before I think, which even considering their higher prices then was much more of a percentage off than $50 from $700.
Over the weekend, I did a wipe and refresh of my 3XL. Should'a done it a lot sooner. I'm pretty stoked at how much snappier my phone runs, now. Battery life is better, too. Guess I'll be sticking with this one a while longer. (y)

Back