Pixel 5 early news

Another good review after 1 week of real world use. This guy says he easily gets 7h SoT, and the performance is smooth and snappy, and the camera takes amazing pictures, and the bezels being very minimal and symmetrical makes the front face of the phone look and feel very modern;

Sounds like, barring some truly widespread hardware issues (it's not clear if that screen gap is a problem), the Pixel 5 may be a great move — critically, if not necessarily in a way that translates to a surge in sales. Probably won't make Apple sweat, but it doesn't have to.

If the Pixel 5 had a head phone jack, I would have bought it. I'm in the minority that absolutely must require a 3.5mm jack before I look at other specs. That is the sole reason I stick with LG flagship phones and having the best DAC in any cell phone hands down. Obviously audio quality is not at the top of the list for cell phone consumers even on H, so I get it why most manufacturers don't focus on it outside of LG.

A beef I have with a comparison like that (apart from some rough grammar): it doesn't account for the authenticity of the night mode shots.

A recurring theme I've seen this year and last is that Apple's night mode is more natural... that is, it looks like your shot was actually taken at night. Google's can sometimes make it look like you took the shot during the day, just a strange day where everyone has their lights on.

1603833898013.png

Woot.

The Pixel 5 seems like the perfect phone to use naked or with a cool skin and tempered glass screen protector, and that's it.
I might do tempered glass, but I'm waiting a couple months before I buy it. I've had bad luck with launch tempered glass protection.

I might do tempered glass, but I'm waiting a couple months before I buy it. I've had bad luck with launch tempered glass protection.

Is the Pixel 5 a true flat screen like the new iPhone 12? Meaning not even the very slight curve 2.5d edges?

Is the Pixel 5 a true flat screen like the new iPhone 12? Meaning not even the very slight curve 2.5d edges?
I actually have no idea. I just know that, in the past, the tempered glass I've gotten around launch hasn't been the best quality. Not fitting the screen, adhesive doesn't last, ect...

What launchers will you use on your new Pixel 5? Just a stock Pixel launcher? Or something different like Nova?

The only thing I'm jealous about with iPhone users is all the accessory options they get specifically cases just so many different varieties and cool cases available for the iPhone and the Pixel it seems like extremely limited options.

The only thing I'm jealous about with iPhone users is all the accessory options they get specifically cases just so many different varieties and cool cases available for the iPhone and the Pixel it seems like extremely limited options.
Agreed. Pixels in the past have gotten a lot of cases over time (I know for my Pixel 2 XL there were tons of options) but more of the art and boutique designs only really come for iPhone.

Also, if you walk into any random shop, most likely they will only have iPhone cases. Not the end of the world. All I need is a clear case and some stickers and I'm set.

I'll probably do the dbrand skin with a thin clear case.

What's a good super thin clear case? But not paper thin garbage like Peel.

I want to get back to easily one handed texting, and not feeling this brick in my pants, Hey Now LOL. Just a simple phone to pull out, do a quick text, or send an e-mail, and put it back in my pocket and move on. Sure a large almost mini tablet phone like the Note 20 Ultra or upcoming iPhone 12 Pro Max is great when just lounging around the house, it's amazing for media consumption. But once on the go outside and doing stuff, I don't like these large phones as much anymore. I'm getting worn out with these gigantic phones lately.

I want a mid size phone 6.2" or so is near perfect, with a huge battery, which is rare, and why I am drawn to the Pixel 5. The Pixel 5 having a 4,100mAh battery, is the largest battery ever put in a Google Nexus or Pixel, and crazy that's it's one of the smaller Google phones they've released in years, yet has their biggest battery ever. I am happy they did that.

Yeah I'm on a Pixel 2 XL right now and I think the size is just a tad too big.

It was awesome when I got it, I do like the large display, but one handed use is almost impossible.

Hopefully the Pixel 5 will be an upgrade, even though the size and resolution is less, it might be more comfortable from what I've read.

I see, so the screen is the same size but the bezels are removed. Should still be a little more comfortable.

I was playing around with both the 5 and the 4a5G at Best Buy today - probably were set up in the last week or so.
4a5G is basically size of my 3a with a case on - but then my case is somewhat substantial (Ringke Fusion). I'm still kind of on the fence on what to buy.

If you can, definitely try these out in store - nothing beats seeing it in your hand.

Initial impression: The 5 is a worthy successor to the 3. I've gotten 5g more often than I expected. Haven't had it long enough to comment about battery life. The screen is a nice bump up from the 3, with a weird side effect of the text being bigger.

Haven't used the camera a whole lot yet, but I'm getting there.

The phone seems nice but I'm going through hell with Verizon to get the phone activated. Will report back soon.

Okay, so I spent the last 2 hours with Verizon. On the Google setup, Verizon app, Verizon website, and their customer service (both AI and real people). Still not activated.

The last guy I talked to said it was locked in the system to transfer over on the 29th (which I guess was the original delivery date) and he couldn't override it.

Not the best first experience, but I can't fault them too much since the package arrived early and maybe they didn't expect it (and the agent told me this happened to a few other people today).

Will test it out on Wifi tonight I guess. What I will say is the 90Hz is SUPER SMOOTH!!! Definitely that alone seems worth it. And the Wifi is super fast too, I had like 430Mb on sped test, which it never gets that high. And the size is perfect.

The only bad thing I noticed is I feel like it is easy to drop. I would not attempt to use this without a case. Maybe because it's new I'm extra anxious but I would recommend a case.

Okay, so I spent the last 2 hours with Verizon. On the Google setup, Verizon app, Verizon website, and their customer service (both AI and real people). Still not activated.

The last guy I talked to said it was locked in the system to transfer over on the 29th (which I guess was the original delivery date) and he couldn't override it.

Not the best first experience, but I can't fault them too much since the package arrived early and maybe they didn't expect it (and the agent told me this happened to a few other people today).

Will test it out on Wifi tonight I guess. What I will say is the 90Hz is SUPER SMOOTH!!! Definitely that alone seems worth it. And the Wifi is super fast too, I had like 430Mb on sped test, which it never gets that high. And the size is perfect.

The only bad thing I noticed is I feel like it is easy to drop. I would not attempt to use this without a case. Maybe because it's new I'm extra anxious but I would recommend a case.
Sorry to hear about the connectivity issues. T-mobile was dead simple. Just swapped the sim, done.

Back