Pixel 5 early news

Two areas the Pixel 5 can beat the Pixel 4 XL would be significantly better battery life and a much brighter lit display. And a third one too I suppose would be easier one-handed operation since it's basically all screen and minimal bezels.

Sort of reminds me of a futuristic version of the classic Motorola Nexus 6, I had the N6, And it was a lovely phone for its day very futuristic. The Pixel 5 seems like the Nexus 6's sci fi future self.
I agree just not at 699$. Thats more SD Flagship prices and considering there camera tech has not advanced.... it just seems not worth it. I haft to say I am more excited for the 4a 5g vs 5.

$699 is still a bit high for this mid ranger, and it's already back ordered to shipping in November. I'd feel better paying $599 at most. Compared to the OnePlus 8T and Galaxy S20 FE selling for much cheaper, and better spec's, this $700 price tag seems a bit insane.

And you know what's worse, buying it now for $700 + tax, and come Thanksgiving Friday it will be $499.

$699 is still a bit high for this mid ranger, and it's already back ordered to shipping in November. I'd feel better paying $599 at most. Compared to the OnePlus 8T and Galaxy S20 FE selling for much cheaper, and better spec's, this $700 price tag seems a bit insane.

And you know what's worse, buying it now for $700 + tax, and come Thanksgiving Friday it will be $499.

Agreed. The premium on buying phones on release just isn't worth it for me on most phones.

Pretty disappointing presentation in my opinion. All around, but especially for the Pixel phones...

The 4a makes sense, it is good to have an affordable phone that gets regular security updates.

I have zero clue what the point of the 4a 5G is, let alone the 5. They don't have an XL option...

Not that they/anyone cares, but they don't have any products that interest me this year.

Their overall track record for hardware QA that I have experienced on Pixel 1, 2, 3, 4 XL devices and my ridiculous experience in RMAing a defective Pixelbook... which took 3x RMAs to get a fully functioning product... These were defects that should have been easily caught if anyone was actually doing any QA in their refurb department... The back glass is coming unglued on my current Pixel 4 XL... I have to use it in a case or the wireless charging stops working as a result, plus obviously it isn't water resistant now... Yea, not real happy with them in general to be honest, not sure if I even want to go through the RMA process with these jokers again...

I like the Google software experience (save for some VERY bad memory management issues I had on my Pixel 3 XL... that was horrible) and reliable update cycle, but hardware wise, I hesitate any time someone asks me if I recommend Google Pixel hardware... Just can't recommend the actual hardware...

It might be worth holding out until Black Friday-ish, but I'm not sure it's that bad. Faster, longer-term OS updates, healthy battery life and Google's usual camera quality? Might be justifiable for some.

With that said, the better deal might be the Pixel 4a 5G. Only 6GB of RAM and a 60Hz display, but it's close enough in most respects and will cost significantly less than the Galaxy S20 FE and OnePlus 8T.

I'm a lot less enthusiastic about buying a P5 after watching the presentation.

Is the camera quality a big step on the Pixel 5 over the Pixel 4 XL?

Looks like it's similar sensor tech, so I wouldn't count on it. This is more about bringing that quality to a lower price (and with better battery life, I'd add).

Is the camera quality a big step on the Pixel 5 over the Pixel 4 XL?
We'll have to wait and see. They touted a couple niche features, targeted at video recording it seemed like and they switched from a telephoto to an ultrawide for the second camera on the back...

It is my understanding that it is the same imaging sensor, so I'm not expecting anything significantly better. Video recording is kind poor quality in my opinion... Google had an engineer justify why they are sticking with the same sensor as the 2 XL, etc. so I doubt we'll see much improvement to the video stuff since it is hard to do as much processing as they can in still photos...

Hugely disappointed with the screen size on Pixel 5 and the fact that it's only FHD. The screen on my Pixel 3 XL is better sans the refresh rate.

Anyone else feel the same?

I don't care that they didn't use the top end SOC, as long as the phone is smooth but I'm really bothered by the fact that I feel like I'm downgrading vs. the Pixel 3 I currently have especially when it comes to the display. Other than Samsung, what are the choices of a top end Android phone? Dropping $1400 on a Samsung phone with their own layer of software plastered over irks me. Makes me want to consider jumping ship to iOS.

Hugely disappointed with the screen size on Pixel 5 and the fact that it's only FHD. The screen on my Pixel 3 XL is better sans the refresh rate.

Anyone else feel the same?

I don't care that they didn't use the top end SOC, as long as the phone is smooth but I'm really bothered by the fact that I feel like I'm downgrading vs. the Pixel 3 I currently have especially when it comes to the display. Other than Samsung, what are the choices of a top end Android phone? Dropping $1400 on a Samsung phone with their own layer of software plastered over irks me. Makes me want to consider jumping ship to iOS.
Only other Android choice for me is the OnePlus 8T which debuts on 10/14. I'd be more favorable to an iPhone if it had a fingerprint scanner. I just detest Face ID. I can't get it to work at all on my iPad Pro. :rage:

Ordered two fives. happy.
I'm gonna give it a try, but will wait to see if the price drops over the holiday season.

Available to pre-order now and available to ship only after Oct 29th?
Really, Google?
By then everybody gonna have new iphones in hands..

I had the sage green Pixel 5 in the cart, ready to press order, but then I stopped.

Currently using the Pixel 4 XL. I'm wondering what kind of real world upgrade is the Pixel 5 to me?

I think I need real reviews first before final decision;

-Bigger and better battery life would be great. Hopefully a lot better than my 4 XL.
-Brighter display would be wanted and very needed.
-Camera better? Especially in Portrait mode, but how much better than my Pixel 4 XL?
-The slimmer size actually would be nice, easier to hold and use one handed. I do find the Pixel 4 XL on the border of just too large a phone to comfortably use. But I don't like small phones either.

But at $700 + tax now, and knowing most likely will be discounted at the holidays, makes me want to wait too. Real reviews first will help my decision.

I had the sage green Pixel 5 in the cart, ready to press order, but then I stopped.

Currently using the Pixel 4 XL. I'm wondering what kind of real world upgrade is the Pixel 5 to me?

I think I need real reviews first before final decision;

-Bigger and better battery life would be great. Hopefully a lot better than my 4 XL.
-Brighter display would be wanted and very needed.
-Camera better? Especially in Portrait mode, but how much better than my Pixel 4 XL?
-The slimmer size actually would be nice, easier to hold and use one handed. I do find the Pixel 4 XL on the border of just too large a phone to comfortably use. But I don't like small phones either.

But at $700 + tax now, and knowing most likely will be discounted at the holidays, makes me want to wait too. Real reviews first will help my decision.
you now earn your first smartphone switching addiction sobriety coin! You’re no longer the smartphone fuk boi we all love!

Available to pre-order now and available to ship only after Oct 29th?
Really, Google?
By then everybody gonna have new iphones in hands..
The release date is Oct 15. I guess they ran out of stock already?

FaceID on my Pixel 4 XL pisses me off, it's so inconsistent. Some times it works 80% well, but mostly it's 50% and have to enter my Passcode. It's never 100% perfect, nothing is, but man it is very frustrating.

And I'm not even talking COVID masks, of course it never works then, it's passcode only with my mask on.

I'll take a fingerprint scanner all day over poopy FaceID.

I watched this for my wife since she's in need of a new device.
I came away thinking this was just an ad for new software features that should be on any Android phone. Google might be holding some of those things back, but hardware-wise, there was basically nothing that isn't on dozens of other devices. Possibly better.
It's just a shame that most of those other phones are cluttered with OEM bullshit and/or Google is holding certain functions back.

Look at the Samsung S20 FE. Same price with better specs....

I'd have two main concerns about the S20 FE: the camera performance and the timeliness of updates. It's not yet clear how well the S20 FE's camera tech performs relative to the Pixel (which will likely be a high bar to clear). And while Samsung is committing to three years of OS updates, you'll likely still be waiting months to get major releases and likely won't get point releases.

Samsung certainly has the raw performance edge — I just think the answer is complicated.

My normal Samsung S20+'s camera doesn't take pictures as good as my Pixel 2 did. Maybe if you're a pro photographer and know how to tweak a whole bunch of settings, but for normal point and shoot, I'd rather have a Pixel.

Definite an upgrade to my Pixel 2, but due to other particularly large purchases I've made recently - i'm gonna hold onto my Pixel 2 until a killer Pixel 5 deal comes around. I expect that it'll be available under $500 in a few months.
Android 11 brought some new life into my Pixel 2, and that combined with getting some new charging cables that actually work make the need to upgrade not imminent...

Definite an upgrade to my Pixel 2, but due to other particularly large purchases I've made recently - i'm gonna hold onto my Pixel 2 until a killer Pixel 5 deal comes around. I expect that it'll be available under $500 in a few months.
Android 11 brought some new life into my Pixel 2, and that combined with getting some new charging cables that actually work make the need to upgrade not imminent...

Pretty much same here; my 2 XL is still going great, so I'm good until the first decent deal arrives for the 5, which I'm expecting for BF since they did $200 off for the past two phones/years, I think. If not, I'm still considering Samsung for my next phone too since they've committed to 3 years of updates even if they're a bit slow (faster than most other OEMs still) since their software has some decent features that aren't on Google's Android until an update or two later. I really wish Essential or Google-owned Motorola was still around to provide a decent alternative to Pixels nowadays though. OP is kind of close, but their cameras keep trailing the pack and previous gen phones are taking 2-4 months for security patches and updates still.

Pretty much same here; my 2 XL is still going great, so I'm good until the first decent deal arrives for the 5, which I'm expecting for BF since they did $200 off for the past two phones/years, I think. If not, I'm still considering Samsung for my next phone too since they've committed to 3 years of updates even if they're a bit slow (faster than most other OEMs still) since their software has some decent features that aren't on Google's Android until an update or two later. I really wish Essential or Google-owned Motorola was still around to provide a decent alternative to Pixels nowadays though. OP is kind of close, but their cameras keep trailing the pack and previous gen phones are taking 2-4 months for security patches and updates still.
I'd be perfectly happy sticking with my 3XL if its battery life wasn't so bad. As things look now, I may stick with it anyway, given the relatively disappointing crop of 2020 phones.

I have to imagine that the battery is a major motivating factor for a lot of upgrades. the 24-32 month mark is when every phone battery I've ever had fell off a cliff. If that wasn't the case, I'd probably only upgrade every 5 years.

The biggest flaw with Pixel 5 is the price for a mid-tier device.

Right now Apple is rumored to release a iPhone 12 Mini using the same A14 chip as the Pro that starts at $649 (64GB) and $699 (128GB). If that has 5G, why the heck would anyone buy the Pixel 5 at $699?

The biggest flaw with Pixel 5 is the price for a mid-tier device.

Right now Apple is rumored to release a iPhone 12 Mini using the same A14 chip as the Pro that starts at $649 (64GB) and $699 (128GB). If that has 5G, why the heck would anyone buy the Pixel 5 at $699?
Andriod Users but yes I agree.

I'm somewhat interested in the Pixel 5 being a big Nexus and Pixel fan but I need to wait for real-world reviews first I want to see if the battery life is amazing like it might be and also want to see if the display is very bright like the flagships from Apple and Samsung

Samsung always has better specs on paper. Until you actually use it and 6 months later you regret buying it. Granted OneUI has come a long way but it still sucks compared to stock android. I've learned my lesson several times in the past.
Yup it's a valid point. It still points out how over priced the phone is from a hardware perspective. I so sore off samsung after my s7. As long one plus has deep discounts on previous model year phones they will be my goto baring they don't turn into samsung with oxygen os

Every Samsung I've ever owned, including my current S20+, has had caveats. Something is always quirky, annoying, and unfixable without rooting. In some cases, it's unfixable even with rooting. I've said it twice and wavered on it (and OneUI can be mostly alleviated with Nova), but I have no plans to get another Samsung.
I'm pretty deep into the Android ecosphere at this point, but I'd probably look toward Apple if Google and their OEM's can't cut the mustard.

My wife has been using a P30 Pro for over a year but although the camera is amazing, and is the reason we bought it, we use about 10 percent of its capability. What we really need is a phone that you can launch the camera app and snap a photo and it generally comes out good. I am hoping the 5 continues to get the camera right and we may be moving up (or sideways I guess)

Samsung always has better specs on paper. Until you actually use it and 6 months later you regret buying it. Granted OneUI has come a long way but it still sucks compared to stock android. I've learned my lesson several times in the past.
Every Samsung I've ever owned, including my current S20+, has had caveats. Something is always quirky, annoying, and unfixable without rooting. In some cases, it's unfixable even with rooting. I've said it twice and wavered on it (and OneUI can be mostly alleviated with Nova), but I have no plans to get another Samsung.
I'm pretty deep into the Android ecosphere at this point, but I'd probably look toward Apple if Google and their OEM's can't cut the mustard.
The same is true of Samsung's tablets. I tried the new Tab S7 Plus for about a week. It's easily the best Android tablet, maybe ever. Aside from its OLED screen, everything else -- apps, audio, smoothness, etc -- were inferior to my two-year old iPad Pro. I was surprised at how well my iPad held its own against the brand new and very well reviewed Samsung.

I'm still kinda upset Google didn't try to compete this year with the Samsung Galaxy S20's and iPhone 12 Pro's of the world. I never expect Google to beat and be better than those two phones, but at least close or on par.

- Flagship processor
- 8GB RAM
- 6.5" screen ( flat ) not curved
- Display as bright and high quality as the S20 and 12 Pro
- Huge battery, 5,000mAh
- 120hz refresh screen
- High quality build, like the 4 XL, and cool design.
- Best in class camera

Make those above specs the Pixel 5 XL, and charge like $900 just a hair under the big guys flagship pricing. I wish we were getting that this year.

I'm still kinda upset Google didn't try to compete this year with the Samsung Galaxy S20's and iPhone 12 Pro's of the world. I never expect Google to beat and be better than those two phones, but at least close or on par.

- Flagship processor
- 8GB RAM
- 6.5" screen ( flat ) not curved
- Display as bright and high quality as the S20 and 12 Pro
- Huge battery, 5,000mAh
- 120hz refresh screen
- High quality build, like the 4 XL, and cool design.
- Best in class camera

Make those above specs the Pixel 5 XL, and charge like $900 just a hair under the big guys flagship pricing. I wish we were getting that this year.

I won't fault Google for skipping that this year, though. Google has struggled to compete well against other flagships, and clearly its approach of relying on clever tech to win hasn't panned out (not with Soli, anyway). Good value for money is a relatively safe bet.

Yeah, I prefer Google try to offer more value than go the overpriced flagship route, as they have been doing since the Pixel's debut (excluding the "a" line of course). It's obvious they can't compete with other flagships near their price point for whatever reason, so this is probably the best strategy for them at least for now.

I think they pretty much nailed it on the compromises they took on the 5, which is really only the SoC, and maybe the display Hz and brightness if you want to nitpick that, but the brightness seems to be considerably better than previous Pixels from what I've seen so far (around 650 nits vs 450ish on previous Pixels). At least they stopped skimping on RAM, battery capacity, and base storage though.

Looking forward to reviews and hopefully picking one up on the first sale I see, which will probably be BF.

Back