Pixel 5 early news

somebrains exactly, and all of the speed tests that people do to get max speeds, they literally have to stand right under an antenna...once they go around a corner, your back to 4G speeds anyways.

If I was one of those people that stream walking around doing normal things I could totally see chasing the latest and greatest. I met a couple that made $5k/month streaming walking dogs off ads and content views. Pet industry is crazy lucrative.

A buddy of mine was doing the mobile streaming thing in Asia and europe pro.otjng travel and leisure, that's kinda died but it was way bigger earlier outside the US.

Me, I'd want to be a squirrel suit daredevil or the hot dad skater knocking it out like pirate.

5g is not worth it. I would take stable consistent LTE over spotty 5g. There is nothing I can't do on my phone with a decent LTE connection (15-20mbs) and solid latency under 50ms

5g is not worth it. I would take stable consistent LTE over spotty 5g. There is nothing I can't do on my phone with a decent LTE connection (15-20mbs) and solid latency under 50ms
This ‘telephone’ has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication.

Fooling around with alternating current (AC) is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever.

The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty – a fad.

The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to no one in particular?

There is practically no chance communications space satellites will be used to provide better telephone, telegraph, television or radio service inside the United States.

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home.

640K ought to be enough for anybody.

This ‘telephone’ has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication.

Fooling around with alternating current (AC) is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever.

The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty – a fad.

The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to no one in particular?

There is practically no chance communications space satellites will be used to provide better telephone, telegraph, television or radio service inside the United States.

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home.

640K ought to be enough for anybody.

That's stupid and you know it. Not even remotely comparable. No one is saying that 5G won't be useful or couldn't be useful at some point. They are saying it isn't useful RIGHT NOW over the life of the cell phone in question. Plus with data caps, network congestion, a battery powered device, limited coverage in rural areas, etc. It's just not a must have feature in the next year or two.

Slow/spotty/oversaturated 3g/4g rollout in my area means I'll see at least 2 gens of 5g handsets sunset before I consider 5g a stable feature.

I don't have much interest in 5G but I have an absolute interest in WiFi 6, luckily the same chip offers both.

I don't have much interest in 5G but I have an absolute interest in WiFi 6, luckily the same chip offers both.

I must be getting old, I consume more content on my iPad bc it has a bigger screen.

A lot of that phone 1st ethic I used to have I think has changed a lot during lockdown. I used to take Meet and Zoom calls on my phone, now I'm on my desktop or tablet.

That's stupid and you know it. Not even remotely comparable. No one is saying that 5G won't be useful or couldn't be useful at some point. They are saying it isn't useful RIGHT NOW over the life of the cell phone in question. Plus with data caps, network congestion, a battery powered device, limited coverage in rural areas, etc. It's just not a must have feature in the next year or two.
Speaking of things that’s not ready for prime time when it newly came to market...

The telephone was crap in the beginning...

early in the current war, DC power was “winning”...

horseless carriages weren’t very reliable...

Need I go on about how you saying it’s not the same and not even remotely comparable l just happens to be incredibly comparable and using the same arguments as people used in the past.

also pretty sure that the post I quoted said exactly what you’re saying that “no one” is saying!

I must be getting old, I consume more content on my iPad bc it has a bigger screen.
I don't have an iPad (or any tablet).

What I do have is a healthy obsession with moving data around regularly on my home network and having to travel to areas of none or limited wifi. I queue up days worth of music and shows for these days, and WiFi 6 will make that much simpler. That way I don't waste my data, but also don't run out of stuff to watch or listen too.

I'm planning on upgrading my in house network to Wifi 6 soon enough, and once a few more of my devices can handle it - I'll do so.

Everyone has different needs.

If Wifi 6 is fast enough and my phone is fast enough for STEAMLINK (wifi AC isn't quite consistent enough) then I'll probably use that too!

I used to do that with my phone when I was building demo environments at E3, Pax, and Comicon.
The amount of truly bad house and trap music I used to keep on a phone was horrific.

Biggest things I want from the Pixel 5;

- Long lasting battery equal to the iPhone 11 Pro Max or at least close

- Bright display, on par with the Samsung S20 and iPhone 11 Pro's. Pixel phones screens have always been dim and mediocre in sunlight in comparison.

- 8GB RAM hopefully keeps the UI smooth and fluid. Is the 90hz display just automatic like always set to 90hz never 60hz?

When battery is Google's relatively generous at pixel 5 and built a 4080mAh large power storage, which can be charged relatively quickly using a USB Type-C connection with the supplied power supply unit with a maximum of 18 watts. Wireless charging is also available, including the option to reverse-charge headphones and other devices. In addition to glass, the housing of the Pixel 5 is made of 100 percent recycled aluminum and is IP68 certified, making it waterproof and dustproof.

With a 4,100mAh battery, 1080p screen, and SD 765 chipset, I bet it has the best battery life for a Pixel phone to date.

Yeah, this is shaping up to be the perfect phone for me and finally a worthy replacement of my 2 XL that's still chugging along perfectly with Android 11 and 90% of its original battery capacity still (according to Accubattery that I've been using since day 1).

The only nit picks I have with it are the re-use of its ancient camera sensor, which admittedly still works great, but only because of Google's advanced software, and imagine what that software could do with a considerably newer/better sensor still. I'm also super glad they ditched the facial recognition and brought back the rear FP sensor that I use constantly to pull down my notification shade and also because with masks nowadays I have to unlock my phone a lot while in stores and stuff.

The only unknown concern I have now really is if they've improved the display brightness at all, because pretty much all previous Pixels max out at 400-500 nits, which is almost unusable in direct sunlight and still hard to see even in indirect sunlight. I expect them not to improve this much, if at all again, but it's not a deal breaker for me either as long as it's not actually a downgrade from any previous Pixels.

The only unknown concern I have now really is if they've improved the display brightness at all, because pretty much all previous Pixels max out at 400-500 nits, which is almost unusable in direct sunlight and still hard to see even in indirect sunlight. I expect them not to improve this much, if at all again, but it's not a deal breaker for me either as long as it's not actually a downgrade from any previous Pixels.

Only good news is the reviews for the Pixel 4a, state the display is very bright, and much brighter than past Pixel's. Now is it as bright as a iPhone 11 Pro or Galaxy S20? probably not, but anything brither than the Pixel 2Xl, 3Xl, and 4XL would be an improvement.

Can't wait to get the Pixel 5, I'm so done with the FaceID crap on my 4 XL, it's gotten worse lately it seems. More than half the time I need to enter my Passcode to get past lock screen.

I'll take fingerprint scanner back again.

Can't wait to get the Pixel 5, I'm so done with the FaceID crap on my 4 XL, it's gotten worse lately it seems. More than half the time I need to enter my Passcode to get past lock screen.

I'll take fingerprint scanner back again.
Precisely why I skipped the 4. The rear fingerprint reader is so intuitively useful I was shocked they took it off the 4, and was dreading when I'd eventually have to give it up.

I'm glad it's back with the 5.

$699??? DOA...

with OnePlus Nord coming stateside at $500 and 8T starting at $599, I can’t imagine the Pixel 5 would sell well. I wonder if there will even be a Pixel 6.

oh, and carriers like ATT and Verizon will be pushing people to buy the Motorola One 5G at $445 instead.

Last edited:
$699??? DOA...

with OnePlus Nord coming stateside at $500 and 8T starting at $599, I can’t imagine the Pixel 5 would sell well. I wonder if there will even be a Pixel 6.

oh, and carriers like ATT and Verizon will be pushing people to buy the Motorola One 5G at $445 instead.
$700 is excellent for a flagship device. Coming in at the same price as iPhone 11 and (likely) iPhone 12. It's also $300 less than a Samsung Galaxy S20.
Pixel is still the only Android device worth owning. It's still going to be the only device with consistent updates. It will have the best camera software. And I'm betting it will have near the top SoC. And a 90Hz OLED display - I'd say if you're on Android side it's a no brainer.

$700 is excellent for a flagship device. Coming in at the same price as iPhone 11 and (likely) iPhone 12. It's also $300 less than a Samsung Galaxy S20.
Pixel is still the only Android device worth owning. It's still going to be the only device with consistent updates. It will have the best camera software. And I'm betting it will have near the top SoC. And a 90Hz OLED display - I'd say if you're on Android side it's a no brainer.
If the P5 is everything you listed, I'm all in! I'm curious about the OnePlus 8T, but am hoping the P5 is the one for me.

it’s got similar if not worse hw than the 1+ Nord and the Motorola One 5G! It’s not a flagship device! If they priced it at $599, that’ll be more acceptable for a high mid-range device, although I would still argue that it’s $50 too expensive. $549 should what Google ought to charge for this phone.

it’s got similar if not worse hw than the 1+ Nord and the Motorola One 5G! It’s not a flagship device! If they priced it at $599, that’ll be more acceptable for a high mid-range device.
You have the full spec list? I've only seen partial information. Even if this device has a midrange SOC, I'd still pick it over something "faster" for stability and support. At this point though, the specs on P5 are rumors and should definitely be taken as such. As are the rest of the specs I listed - but the items I listed are more or less expected due to previous gen Pixel hardware.
At this point there are greater gains to be made in software optimization than there is strictly in SOC power. People are still more or less good with 3+ year old hardware.

tl;dr: Not everyone thinks like you. There are plenty of people that will prefer a Pixel to any third party. If you want "highest specs" for "least price" look elsewhere, but that's ignoring a lot of intangibles.

Last edited:
You have the full spec list? I've only seen partial information. Even if this device still has last years SOC, I'd still pick it over something "faster" for stability and support.
At this point there are greater gains to be made in software optimization than there is strictly in SOC power. People are still more or less good with 3+ year old hardware.

tl;dr: Not everyone thinks like you. There are plenty of people that will prefer a Pixel to any third party. If you want "highest specs" for "least price" look elsewhere, but that's ignoring a lot of intangibles.
you want specs? It’s pretty well known at this point: https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Google-Pixel-5-vs-OnePlus-Nord-128GB-8GB-RAM

When people buys the cheap phones, they totally buy the cheapest. That Motorola One 5G will be selling better than both the Pixel 5 and the Nord, and possibly combined. Nord has got enough enthusiasts backing that the enthusiasts who would buy a Pixel 5 and its updates probably wouldn’t mind getting a Nord at $200 cheaper for similar update schedules!

you want specs? It’s pretty well known at this point: https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Google-Pixel-5-vs-OnePlus-Nord-128GB-8GB-RAM

When people buys the cheap phones, they totally buy the cheapest. That Motorola One 5G will be selling better than both the Pixel 5 and the Nord, and possibly combined. Nord has got enough enthusiasts backing that the enthusiasts who would buy a Pixel 5 and its updates probably wouldn’t mind getting a Nord at $200 cheaper for similar update schedules!
Cool. Vote with your wallet. I know which Pixel I'd pick.

it’s got similar if not worse hw than the 1+ Nord and the Motorola One 5G! It’s not a flagship device! If they priced it at $599, that’ll be more acceptable for a high mid-range device, although I would still argue that it’s $50 too expensive. $549 should what Google ought to charge for this phone.

Keep in mind that the Nord coming to the US isn't the one available now. It's expected to come with a Snapdragon 690 and different cameras (and likely worse than the Pixel's in some respects, I'd add). I don't know if it'll be entirely worth the premium, but you will be getting something more for the money.

Google shooting themselves in the foot again. They release the Pixel 4a, way late in August, and on Sept. 30th, they'll announce the Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5.

Why release the Pixel 4a, and then one month later confuse people with the larger Pixel 4a 5G?

The way I think Google should have done it;

- April 2020 = Pixel 4a
- October 2020 = Pixel 5 and Pixel 5 XL

And not even come out with the Pixel 4a 5G, but give us a 6.5" or so 5 XL.

Google shooting themselves in the foot again. They release the Pixel 4a, way late in August, and on Sept. 30th, they'll announce the Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5.

Why release the Pixel 4a, and then one month later confuse people with the larger Pixel 4a 5G?

The way I think Google should have done it;

- April 2020 = Pixel 4a
- October 2020 = Pixel 5 and Pixel 5 XL

And not even come out with the Pixel 4a 5G, but give us a 6.5" or so 5 XL.
ya, their release schedule and choices are weird, but then that's kinda normal for them. I get the impression the pixel unit is run by a strong personality who has "Beliefs", as that's really the only thing that explains some of their decisions.

Two areas the Pixel 5 can beat the Pixel 4 XL would be significantly better battery life and a much brighter lit display. And a third one too I suppose would be easier one-handed operation since it's basically all screen and minimal bezels.

Sort of reminds me of a futuristic version of the classic Motorola Nexus 6, I had the N6, And it was a lovely phone for its day very futuristic. The Pixel 5 seems like the Nexus 6's sci fi future self.

Back