Pixel 5 early news

I reeeeally hope this is accurate. Would love if they dropped the facial recognition and brought back the FP scanner, which I didn't think they would do and orphan the tech on the Pixel 4 like that. If they don't price it too stupid like they have so far for non-a-series Pixels, then I'll finally have a worthy replacement for my 2 XL. I skipped the 4 XL due to it being way overpriced for its mediocre hardware and lack of wide-angle lens, so this could hopefully fix most of that. But I really hope they go with a 128GB base storage like most OEMs are now, esp. if they don't bring back original-quality Photo backups again.

Pricing looks to be a bit high. Hopefully they go with the triple camera setup. Standard, wide, telephoto.

650 is a bit much I would like to see the device closer to the 550-599$. It's really close to one plus phones with high end SD

$650 sounds good to me compared to how unrealistic they were pricing previous Pixels and you'll undoubtedly be able to get it on sale for $600 or less soon after it comes out on Black Friday or whatever. I wish they would offer better trade in deals than the laughable ones they currently do (think my 2 XL is worth like $40 or something).

I think this will be perfect for my personal phone. Good performance, great screen, great camera at a decent price is exactly what I want. I agree that the price oughtta drop for Black Friday.

I think this will be perfect for my personal phone. Good performance, great screen, great camera at a decent price is exactly what I want. I agree that the price oughtta drop for Black Friday.

I've only ever seen this guy's videos in this thread, but I hate how this was a 3 min video with the exact same 4.5 min Pixel 4a overview copy/pasted over from his previous Pixel 5 vid, plus an extra 1.5 min filler animations at the end to stretch it to the 8 min mark for that extra ad money. Way to be as lazy and greedy as possible with "new" content and news.

I've only ever seen this guy's videos in this thread, but I hate how this was a 3 min video with the exact same 4.5 min Pixel 4a overview copy/pasted over from his previous Pixel 5 vid, plus an extra 1.5 min filler animations at the end to stretch it to the 8 min mark for that extra ad money. Way to be as lazy and greedy as possible with "new" content and news.
Yeah, he usually tells the viewer when he's about to discuss content he covered in prior videos.

T4rd - it's kind of par for the course for these videos. Rumors videos only have so much to discuss lol.
I do have to say - the 3-week pre-order window for the 4a (now it shows Sept 2nd or later) makes it an easy decision to wait for the P5/4a5G news.

Would've been much different if this at properly launched in May, but I got no issues waiting to see how the newer devices shake out.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/google-pixel-5-5g-battery-capacity-leak_id126675

Seriously, this better not be true. WTF Google why can't you give us a killer smartphone? I'm not asking or much just these main things;

- Huge battery, at least 4,500mAh ( This 3,080mAh in the P5 will be a joke, and first Pixel I don't buy )
- Bright vibrant display, on par with the iPhone 11 Pro and new Samsung Galaxy screens
- 8GB RAM for smooth performance
- Minimal bezels, ditch the Face unlock, because it's ok, doesn't always work best.
- Smooth fluid UI like Oxygen OS, but keeping it bare bones stock Android.

That's about it for me.

Back to this rumored leak about the small battery size for the Pixel 5, come on Google, after the disastrous reviews of the Pixel 4 / 4 XL for crap battery life, you would think this year they'd over compensate and go extra large, of at least 4,000mAh, but even today for Android that's just mediocre for a battery. But a 3,080mAh size battery for Pixel 5? Are you fucking kidding me? I hope that's just for tiny Pixel 5, and there's a 5 XL with a giant battery, if not, I'm done. I'll go OnePlus next or a discounted Samsung Galaxy S20 or something.

Last edited:
https://www.phonearena.com/news/google-pixel-5-5g-battery-capacity-leak_id126675

Seriously, this better not be true. WTF Google why can't you give us a killer smartphone? I'm not asking or much just these main things;

- Huge battery, at least 4,500mAh ( This 3,080mAh in the P5 will be a joke, and first Pixel I don't buy )
- Bright vibrant display, on par with the iPhone 11 Pro and new Samsung Galaxy screens
- 8GB RAM for smooth performance
- Minimal bezels, ditch the Face unlock, because it's ok, doesn't always work best.
- Smooth fluid UI like Oxygen OS, but keeping it bare bones stock Android.

That's about it for me.

Back to this rumored leak about the small battery size for the Pixel 5, come on Google, after the disastrous reviews of the Pixel 4 / 4 XL for crap battery life, you would think this year they'd over compensate and go extra large, of at least 4,000mAh, but even today for Android that's just mediocre for a battery. But a 3,080mAh size battery for Pixel 5? Are you fucking kidding me? I hope that's just for tiny Pixel 5, and there's a 5 XL with a giant battery, if not, I'm done. I'll go OnePlus next or a discounted Samsung Galaxy S20 or something.
I saw the news about the battery, too. Inexcusable. It's as if Google wants to chase away customers. It's working.

Rofl always buy the 'a' line for the battery life, the main "flagship" line for the disappointment OTOH...

If you look at this table, I think not having a 3700mAh battery is indeed confirmation that the P5 is a regular-sized phone. That gives more credence to the 4a 5G indeed being a XL-sized phone then, otherwise just a small bump to chipset performance (730G => 765G) would be a hard $150+ sell compared to the regular 4a.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Google_Pixel_smartphones

As for the Pixel 5 - I don't know. If the 4a 5G already has a bigger screen and the *same* SoC, what the heck are they putting in the Pixel 5 to justify the extra $350 on top of the 4a (or extra $200 over 4a 5G)?

Last edited:
There's too many things that don't add up in these rumors, so I'm not gonna take anything they're saying as true just yet.

Though I do hope it retains the back fingerprint reader. That would be nice.

https://9to5google.com/2020/08/21/pixel-5-renders/amp/

No Pixel 5 XL this year, just the tiny Pixel 5 with 5.7" screen, and small 3,080mAh battery, and 6GB RAM.

If this rumor is true. WHAT. THE. FUCK. Google? Seriously, are you trying to kill off all your few customers?
I knew there wouldn't be a 5XL, this year. What really chaps me is the battery. Can't understand why Google would skimp on the battery in what looked like the best bang-for-the-buck Android phone of 2020. :mad:

Last edited:
I'm ok with the Pixel 5 having a smaller screen, and not the latest high end Snapdragon processor, I don't think that's a major issue.

But the two things I really need to know or want, is a massive battery in it. Please at least keep it the 4 XL battery size of 3,700mAh minimum, or even better a 4,000mAh. That in a 6" screen phone would be great. And also give us a much brighter display for once. Last few Pixel screens have all ben ok, not bad, but not amazing either, always been dim and not as bright as a Samsung Galaxy or iPhone Pro display.

So if the Pixel 5 has a larger battery, and bright display, I'm in. But if it's the same type of screen as last years 4, and a small battery, then Google is fucking stupid, and I'm out.

Agreed - a 3700 mAh in a small factor phone, to properly support the 90Hz screen? That's the beginning of *some* justification for the Pixel 5's price over the 4a/4A 5G.
Regarding screen brightness, the 4a massively improved over the 3a (803 nits vs 451) - see here; can't see them walking backwards on the Pixel 5.
I'd like to think the $699 price tag for the 5 would give it a top panel choice. Still wouldn't buy it at launch though (obligatory wait for BF/CM for $200 price drop lol).

RE: Camera lens choice on the Pixel 5 -
A bit surprised they didn't put the UW on the selfie side (where IMO the UW will get far more use). The back having the telephoto is a natural choice for portraiture; hence a lot of the discussion yesterday when that information came out. We already use photosphere if we want a wide shot - certainly prefer the resolution over panorama.

I'm ok with the Pixel 5 having a smaller screen, and not the latest high end Snapdragon processor, I don't think that's a major issue.

But the two things I really need to know or want, is a massive battery in it. Please at least keep it the 4 XL battery size of 3,700mAh minimum, or even better a 4,000mAh. That in a 6" screen phone would be great. And also give us a much brighter display for once. Last few Pixel screens have all ben ok, not bad, but not amazing either, always been dim and not as bright as a Samsung Galaxy or iPhone Pro display.

So if the Pixel 5 has a larger battery, and bright display, I'm in. But if it's the same type of screen as last years 4, and a small battery, then Google is fucking stupid, and I'm out.
I’m not okay with them using a slower chip if they keep charging the same as phones with faster chips.

I’m not okay with them using a slower chip if they keep charging the same as phones with faster chips.
The price is supposed to be in the $599 - $699 range. I hope it drops a bit during Black Friday as Google has done previously.

Two color options at release, Black and Green. What kind of Green? Google bright flat green? Or a matte Army green? Or the dark green like iPhone 11?

Seriously is Google trying to kill off the Pixel line now? I'm guessing there will be no Pixel 6 next year. And they didn't need to go this route, the Pixel 5 XL should have still been made a flagship, but more like the OnePlus Pro line, high end, but not crazy like $1300 Note 20 Ultra or iPhone 12 Pro Max high end, They don't need to go insane like that. But more like $899 high end.

My realistic, dream Pixel 5 XL;

-Snapdragon 865
-8GB RAM
-90hz Refresh screen
-6.5" AMOLED display. FLAT
-4,500mAh battery
-Ditch FaceID go back to fingerprint scanner
-Minimal bezels, all screen
-Stock vanilla Android like God intended :)

That above would be a great phone, sure not all the whizz bang cool features like a Samsung Galaxy, but would keep the costs down a bit. Why didn't Google go this route?

Main thing I really care about is a better camera and a better screen to body ratio.

Seriously is Google trying to kill off the Pixel line now? I'm guessing there will be no Pixel 6 next year. And they didn't need to go this route, the Pixel 5 XL should have still been made a flagship, but more like the OnePlus Pro line, high end, but not crazy like $1300 Note 20 Ultra or iPhone 12 Pro Max high end, They don't need to go insane like that. But more like $899 high end.

My realistic, dream Pixel 5 XL;

-Snapdragon 865
-8GB RAM
-90hz Refresh screen
-6.5" AMOLED display. FLAT
-4,500mAh battery
-Ditch FaceID go back to fingerprint scanner
-Minimal bezels, all screen
-Stock vanilla Android like God intended :)

That above would be a great phone, sure not all the whizz bang cool features like a Samsung Galaxy, but would keep the costs down a bit. Why didn't Google go this route?
I kinda like my stereo front facing speakers on my 2xl. Pretty sure I'll never see that option again on a decent phone though.

Anything over 600$ is to much. Even 599 seems a bit much. Let's see what hits when it launches in the next month

Wow I really like that... I been thinking of upgrading my P2XL but I may hold off for this 5..

Is 5g such a life changer in lockdown that I bother with a phone upgrade I don't need?
Show me some crazy compelling capabilities and I'll think about it.

Back