Pixel 5 early news

Let's hope they go back to their root. Solid mid rangers. One plus keeps creeping up on price.

Wish list
1080p 90hz oled
SD7xx
5g modem
2 cameras: main and ultra wide
Google software
128gb storage
8gb ram
Wireless charging along with fast charging of some kind
Solid all day battery with 4000+ mha battery.
100% flat screen and body.

That would be my perfect phone

Well they obviously can't compete at the high-end after the last couple showings with their relatively weak hardware and design, so I think they'd be much better off if they at least start pricing their phones appropriately esp. if they're not going to even have the fastest SoC at this point. I would hope the bast Pixel 5 starts at $700 max if they're putting a SD 7xx series chip in it, else you can bet they won't move any phones until they go on sale like it seems is the case for the current Pixels. I can't see Pixel phones existing in another few years if they keep on their current trajectory, so they need to change their strategy somehow.

Well they obviously can't compete at the high-end after the last couple showings with their relatively weak hardware and design, so I think they'd be much better off if they at least start pricing their phones appropriately esp. if they're not going to even have the fastest SoC at this point. I would hope the bast Pixel 5 starts at $700 max if they're putting a SD 7xx series chip in it, else you can bet they won't move any phones until they go on sale like it seems is the case for the current Pixels. I can't see Pixel phones existing in another few years if they keep on their current trajectory, so they need to change their strategy somehow.
While I would say that Google made some poor design choices with a nearly useless battery-draining technology that doesn’t not track fingers like the demos they so showed (If the technology is not yet ready for prime time, don’t include it) and they didn’t include a wide angle camera instead went for just zoom (impractical for the average person), the real reason why they’re using the 7xx series chips is that it allows them to build a smaller phone because the chip includes 5G. I would pin the blame on Qualcomm for not including 5G onto the current top of the line snapdragon.

While I would say that Google made some poor design choices with a nearly useless battery-draining technology that doesn’t not track fingers like the demos they so showed (If the technology is not yet ready for prime time, don’t include it) and they didn’t include a wide angle camera instead went for just zoom (impractical for the average person), the real reason why they’re using the 7xx series chips is that it allows them to build a smaller phone because the chip includes 5G. I would pin the blame on Qualcomm for not including 5G onto the current top of the line snapdragon.

Yeah, I understood 5G is the reason they would go with that slower SoC since it's built into it. I was just saying it would be nice if Google would pass that hardware savings onto the consumer still. But I'm guessing they won't given that they've cut corners on pretty much every other aspect of their phone's hardware (low base storage, RAM, battery capacity, weak displays for brightness, no wide-angle camera, etc.) and have yet to forward that savings onto us.

To me it seems like such a no-brainer for Google to make an excellent phone here, doesn't seem to be rocket science in what we want in the Pixel 5 XL;

-Bigger battery for sure, 4,500mAh minimum.
-8GB RAM
-UFS 3.1 or whatever is the fastest storage
-Higher quality display, that gets much brighter, something on par with like the 11 Pro, or Galaxy phones screen.
-Drop the gimmicks like Motion Sense
-Keep the excellent camera and improve it

-Processor I don't care if it has the newest SD865, just something that makes the OS smooth and fluid with no lag.

To me it seems like such a no-brainer for Google to make an excellent phone here, doesn't seem to be rocket science in what we want in the Pixel 5 XL;

-8GB RAM
-Higher quality display, that gets much brighter, something on par with like the 11 Pro, or Galaxy phones screen.

-Processor I don't care if it has the newest SD865, just something that makes the OS smooth and fluid with no lag.
Bring back the fingerprint scanner and I'm all in!

-8GB RAM

Of course, we aren't going to get that at all because Google is pretty much inept, so I think I'm just going to get the Pixel 4a as it will be 75% of that for $350. I don't want a big screen so I wouldn't have been looking for an "XL" model anyway.

Had motionsense worked with the finger tracking and everything they showed us on the demo in the past, it would have been pretty amazing. WTF happened to it, Google?

if it’s not ready, don’t deliver a near useless feature.

Had motionsense worked with the finger tracking and everything they showed us on the demo in the past, it would have been pretty amazing. WTF happened to it, Google?

if it’s not ready, don’t deliver a near useless feature.

The problem is that, like many Android phone makers, it didn't understand that a feature like hands-free motion control needs to be very, very thorough to be justifiable. It has to work across many common apps, for a wide variety of tasks. And I suspect that the development time for a phone doesn't usually make that realistic -- maybe if Google had kept refining the feature until this year.

Let's hope they go back to their root. Solid mid rangers. One plus keeps creeping up on price.

Wish list
1080p 90hz oled
SD7xx
5g modem
2 cameras: main and ultra wide
Google software
128gb storage
8gb ram
Wireless charging along with fast charging of some kind
Solid all day battery with 4000+ mha battery.
100% flat screen and body.

That would be my perfect phone

Throw in stereo speakers and a reasonable price and I'm in full agreement.

Flat screen, no curved edge display like OnePlus has been doing recently. I'd like the screen to be like the rumored iPhone 12 Pro's, meaning truly squared edge, zero curve, totally flat screen.

I'm rocking a Pixel 2 XL. Honestly, performance is still great after all these years (unlike other phones I've bought which continuously degraded).

Don't have a need to upgrade right now, and I do really like the fingerprint scanner. Not a huge fan of the face id thing.

I'll stick with Google, I think the Pixel line is the best, so I'm eager to see what the 5 will look like. Maybe if there is something new I'd give it a shot.

Give me my fingerprint reader back, keep the camera, give me a more "modern" look and I'll stay with Pixel line. Otherwise I might jump for OnePlus 9/9 Pro assuming they keep the trajectory of sexiness they are on.

Damn, not surprised by the delay considering there hasn't been a single announcement yet, but I'm really looking forward to the Pixel 5 as my Pixel 2 is finally starting to have hardware issues that it isn't really worth the effort to fix.

Looks solid but no 90hz screen. Come on Pixel 5

I'm going to be torn between this 4a and the 5, I think, mostly for the fingerprint scanner, as some of the key apps I use still don't use the face authentication. Plus I've grown to use the gesture on the scanner on my 2 XL to pull down the notification shade a lot. Seems minor, but when I use it several times daily, it's hard to part with. But I guess there's always going to be something like that when upgrading phones at this point.

Might as well get the 4a if google is refusing to use a high end processor in the Pixel 5 anyways

Honestly, the finger print scanner on the back is a strangely huge deal for me. When they dropped it from the 4 I figured I'd just stick with my 3 until it fell over ( I miss my 2, which was the best phone I've ever had ).

Hopefully the 5 keeps the rear finger print scanner and has a reasonable price.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I don’t even care about the price at this point. I just want more than the 128 GB of garbage storage ... or include an SD card reader, at the very least. And 4K 60 FPS. They need to stop skimping on features that are literally in every other flagship phone. This would have been acceptable with the cheaper Nexus phones, but they cost too freakin much to have such craptastic features.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Honestly, the finger print scanner on the back is a strangely huge deal for me. When they dropped it from the 4 I figured I'd just stick with my 3 until it fell over ( I miss my 2, which was the best phone I've ever had ).

Hopefully the 5 keeps the rear finger print scanner and has a reasonable price.

Seriously.. the rear finger print scanner is the best feature on my LG V30 lol

Don't know what to tell you, but Google has neglected video for so long, I'm not sure it will ever be addressed. I'd rather they address video quality first before getting to 4k60 - if I wasn't being clear :p

My ancient Nexus 5X had better video than my Pixel or Pixel 3a. I posted about this in the Google subreddit, but I always get downvoted when I mention this.
You can always manually force a much higher bit-rate, to address the blurry mess that is Pixel video, but then the file size increases dramatically.

Storage size - if the 4a doesn't have 128 as a minimum, I wouldn't bet on good storage options for 5 either. I know people were banking on very optimistic rumors for 128GB minimum, but with Google making dumb decisions (including a voluntary delay of the 4a release), I'm not holding my breath lol.

Don't know what to tell you, but Google has neglected video for so long, I'm not sure it will ever be addressed. I'd rather they address video quality first before getting to 4k60 - if I wasn't being clear :p

My ancient Nexus 5X had better video than my Pixel or Pixel 3a. I posted about this in the Google subreddit, but I always get downvoted when I mention this.
You can always manually force a much higher bit-rate, to address the blurry mess that is Pixel video, but then the file size increases dramatically.

Storage size - if the 4a doesn't have 128 as a minimum, I wouldn't bet on good storage options for 5 either. I know people were banking on very optimistic rumors for 128GB minimum, but with Google making dumb decisions (including a voluntary delay of the 4a release), I'm not holding my breath lol.
Yeah video on the Pixel has always been hot garbage.

No idea what’s going on at G. The Pixel 4a has been delayed and the 3a has been discontinued. I wonder if Pixel 5 is so weak that that they are not releasing the 4a due to cannibalizing the sale of Pixel 5. Many other companies have already launched their midtier phones with similar hardware to the 4a that it is probably not the supply due to COVID

Last edited:
No idea what’s going on at G. The Pixel 4a has been delayed and the 3a has been discontinued. I wonder if Pixel 5 is so weak that that they are not releasing the 4a due to cannibalizing the sale of Pixel 5. Many other companies have already launched their midterm phones with similar hardware to the 4a that it is probably not the supply.
The OnePlus Z/Nord should scare the piss outta Google. :eek:

A bunch of websites today have been leaking supposedly the rumored Pixel 5 phone, and it sounds more like a Pixel 4.5, or even somewhat of a downgrade from the 4 XL.

No more Face ID, going back to rear FPS. Smaller screen size. Mediocre specs which I'm okay with. not sure about other details but so far this looks extremely underwhelming.

A bunch of websites today have been leaking supposedly the rumored Pixel 5 phone, and it sounds more like a Pixel 4.5, or even somewhat of a downgrade from the 4 XL.

No more Face ID, going back to rear FPS. Smaller screen size. Mediocre specs which I'm okay with. not sure about other details but so far this looks extremely underwhelming.
Face unlock + motion sense was my favorite feature of the 4. If they remove that it's not even a phone I'll consider.

This Pixel 5 rumor today, may indeed be fake, and made up. At least I'm hoping so.

Jon Prosser is involved, that guy seems like such a tool, always making up BS, and loves to make YouTube videos with early wrong rumors, but try to pass off as legit. So if he's involved here, it's totally wrong then, and probably just some BS rumor.

So here's to hoping the Pixel 5 XL is night and day better than this crap rumor.

Face unlock + motion sense was my favorite feature of the 4. If they remove that it's not even a phone I'll consider.
I feel exactly opposite. Removing the fingerprint scanner in favor of face unlock was the #1 reason I passed on the 4XL and every iPhone since the 8 Plus. Having it back on the 5XL is welcome news to me. I just hope Google doesn't find another way to screw up the 5XL.

I feel exactly opposite. Removing the fingerprint scanner in favor of face unlock was the #1 reason I passed on the 4XL and every iPhone since the 8 Plus. Having it back on the 5XL is welcome news to me. I just hope Google doesn't find another way to screw up the 5XL.
I didn't like them removing the fingerprint scanner at all.

Generally speaking face unlock is not really a selling point. Neither is Project Soli for that matter.

What would be a selling point is mid-range prices for a mid-range phone that otherwise has most of the Pixel features even if it's not the top line SoC.

The phone is powered by Octa-core (2.4 GHz, Single core, Kryo 475 + 2 GHz, Single core, Kryo 475 + 1.8 GHz, Hexa Core, Kryo 475) processor. It runs on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G Chipset. It has 6 GB RAM and 64 GB internal storage. Google Pixel 5 smartphone has a OLED display.

These specs are so sophisticated that you have to read twice to grasp them.

Back