Pixel 4 thread for actual owners only

I find most HDR demo videos (comparisons) to be pretty unconvincing. Not in the sense that they don't look good (they look amazing on the iPhone 11 Pro for instance) but that they deliberately play up the edge cases where HDR does work well but doesn't really occur in any content not specifically designed for it.

Moreover, they're also designed such that the SDR version looks extra flat when better mastering would avoid most of it.

It doesn't help that you actually need to use the maximum brightness of the screen to really bring the effect out. I'd much rather look at it on a TV.

Go my 4XL set up and ready. I have to say that I do not like Face ID at all. I've had to rescan my face 3 times in less than 2 hours and it still fails about 50% on the first try. If it doesn't improve fast, I'm returning the phone. Gesture only navigation is a bit tedious, but I'm getting the hang of it.

One problem I'm having is notifications. None are showing up on the lock screen or notification center.

If Google hadn't offered 50% off the phone price with new Google Fi service, I wouldn't have considered buying the 4XL.

Last edited:
RMA requested and received. Very smooth and easy process through chat. The rep didn't ask why I wanted to return the phone or try to talk me into accepting a replacement. Just issued the RMA and emailed the prepaid shipping label. Took less than 5 minutes.

I'm sticking with Google Fi for my 3XL.

Go my 4XL set up and ready. I have to say that I do not like Face ID at all. I've had to rescan my face 3 times in less than 2 hours and it still fails about 50% on the first try. If it doesn't improve fast, I'm returning the phone. Gesture only navigation is a bit tedious, but I'm getting the hang of it.

One problem I'm having is notifications. None are showing up on the lock screen or notification center.

If Google hadn't offered 50% off the phone price with new Google Fi service, I wouldn't have considered buying the 4XL.

I have heard a lot of the notification issue. Some people aren’t getting push items either until they check the app. So emails aren’t being received until gmail or the mail app is opened, and instant messages from apps like WhatsApp or Facebook messenger aren’t coming through until the apps are open.

50% off what? I just paid 1k for the damn thing and it's not even here yet :(

They had some Black Friday deals on all the phones from them with a new line. They had a really good deal on the 3 and 3xl too.
I didn't see that and ordered it for only $200 off. Maybe I should just return it...I didn't want to mess with verizon locked phone but with fi they let you pay it off early after a few months right?

I didn't see that and ordered it for only $200 off. Maybe I should just return it...I didn't want to mess with verizon locked phone but with fi they let you pay it off early after a few months right?

I think so. I’d check just in case. I know a lot of people who did it with the g7 (which came out to like $150ish) and google fi. They paid it off after activation.

I have heard a lot of the notification issue. Some people aren’t getting push items either until they check the app. So emails aren’t being received until gmail or the mail app is opened, and instant messages from apps like WhatsApp or Facebook messenger aren’t coming through until the apps are open.
That's exactly the problem. I restored to factory settings and reloaded my apps, settings, etc. twice to no avail.
50% off what? I just paid 1k for the damn thing and it's not even here yet :(
They had some Black Friday deals on all the phones from them with a new line. They had a really good deal on the 3 and 3xl too.
Yeah, Google offered 50% reimbursement through Google Fi service fees if you bought a 4/4XL and activated new GF service. Basically, it would have been 17-18 months of GF with no charges for me.

I had no trouble switching GF to my 3XL. My bill will be under $25/month compared to $50 for T-Mobile prepaid service.

That's exactly the problem. I restored to factory settings and reloaded my apps, settings, etc. twice to no avail.

Yeah, Google offered 50% reimbursement through Google Fi service fees if you bought a 4/4XL and activated new GF service. Basically, it would have been 17-18 months of GF with no charges for me.

I had no trouble switching GF to my 3XL. My bill will be under $25/month compared to $50 for T-Mobile prepaid service.
totally makes we want to return mine.... But the wife does need a new phone..

Commander,
Regarding WhatsApp.

Open Settings and in the search bar type Whatsapp > tap WhatsApp | App info > tap Notifications

Your first toggle is the "main" Show notifications toggle - turn that to ON

After doing that look under the CHATS sub-section
1. Show notifications
2. Group notifications
3. Message notifications
Turn all three to ON

After you have done that tap Message notifications.
Make that screen look like this and see if that corrected your issue

1.png

Last edited:
Actually the most likely reason the optimized power saving settings. If you turn off the app optimization for power for Gmail, it'll do much better.

Of course, Google's Gmail app works perfectly without any tweaks on the iPhone.

Actually the most likely reason the optimized power saving settings. If you turn off the app optimization for power for Gmail, it'll do much better.

When I read "not until Gmail is opened" I too suspected Battery Optimization was applied to the app.

Last edited:
Not receiving a notification from this or that app can be due to having a particular setting toggled off.

Commander,
Let's start with WhatsApp

Open Settings and in the search bar type Whatsapp > tap WhatsApp | App info > tap Notifications

You will now be in the main Notifications screen for that app.
Your first toggle is the "main" Show notifications toggle - turn that to ON

After doing that look under the CHATS sub-section, you will have three more toggles:
1. Show notifications
2. Group notifications
3. Message notifications
Turn all three to ON

After you have done that tap Message notifications.
Make that screen look like this and see if that corrected your issue

View attachment 204405

Of course, Google's Gmail app works perfectly without any tweaks on the iPhone.
Yes, I'm well aware of these tweaks and tried all of them. Nothing worked to activate any notifications on my 4XL. I even tried sending emails, texts to myself with both phones, 3XL and 4XL, side by side. The 3XL displayed every notification while 4XL did not. That and the Face ID trouble just spoiled the experience for me. No worries, I'll just look forward to the 5XL, next year.

Just picked up my 4XL today. Black, 68gb. Liking it so far, coming from an LG G7 ThinQ

Edit: I seem to be missing the Dark Theme mode for Messages which is kinda annoying.
Edit 2: Nevermind, found it :)

Last edited:
Maclem,
Enjoy your new phone!

The Reach to Check Phone and Skip Lock Screen features are very impressive.
Be sure to enable both of them!

Last edited:
My Pixel 4 XL delivery keeps being delayed. Was supposed to be here yesterday, now it says Monday. :confused:

Maclem,
Enjoy your new phone!

The Reach to Check Phone and Skip Lock Screen features are very impressive.
Be sure to enable both of them!

Note the attention given to Reach to Check Phone and Skip Lock Screen, he mentions them more than once (2:50 through 4:55)

Indeed, was the first thing I did. I read this thread a few times before I even went to the store lol

My Pixel 4 XL delivery keeps being delayed. Was supposed to be here yesterday, now it says Monday. :confused:
same for my, delayed until Monday and it has to be signed for where today i had the day off... So maybe another couple weeks until I can get it when I have another off Friday...

It came earlier than I thought it would! Woot! I'm in love with this 90 Hz display. It's like the whole Android OS was lathered in butter. This phone is phenomenal. I'm very happy. :cool:

Had mine since launch, forced 90hz always on. Really satisfied with it.

Really no other phone interests me currently.

OnePlus 8 Pro and Pixel 5 XL next year

Had mine since launch, forced 90hz always on. Really satisfied with it.

Really no other phone interests me currently.

OnePlus 8 Pro and Pixel 5 XL next year
That was the first thing I did was force the 90 Hz display. Don't care about battery life since I always carry a 10400 mAh portable battery charger with me. My phones never die.

It came earlier than I thought it would! Woot! I'm in love with this 90 Hz display. It's like the whole Android OS was lathered in butter. This phone is phenomenal. I'm very happy. :cool:
Yea mine did too unfortunately....

After they delayed delivery to Monday they decided to stop by for delivery on Saturday (I was out because I wasn't expecting a package. So no phone for me). Now it is delayed until Tuesday. So now I'm supposed to stay home and lose a day's pay because they screwed up?!

I think I should just cancel the phone and refuse delivery at this point.

Yea mine did too unfortunately....

After they delayed delivery to Monday they decided to stop by for delivery on Saturday (I was out because I wasn't expecting a package. So no phone for me). Now it is delayed until Tuesday. So now I'm supposed to stay home and lose a day's pay because they screwed up?!

I think I should just cancel the phone and refuse delivery at this point.
The wait was worth it. This phone is amazing.

Last edited:
...have them hold it at the delivery center?
Yea great... So maybe wednesday? I ordered 2 weeks ago. Ridiculous.
Delivery guy almost left it... Almost, then he scanned it and picked it back up and put it in the car. Came home 2 hours later. Why would they expect me to be home waiting for it if they told me no Saturday deliveries and I had to wait until monday?

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the matte sides, it makes the phone far more slippery IMO.

Ended up returning it and getting the 11 Pro Max. Didn’t realize how important video was until I experienced the horrendous video on the Pixel. Tastes great pics though. The motion sense + face unlock was probably my favorite feature.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the matte sides, it makes the phone far more slippery IMO.
Use a case?

You can always turn off gesture navigation. I'm not sure I'm a fan of it myself. I prefer the finger print scanner to face id for sure. My biggest complaint is that the wireless charging is too picky.

With the crappy iOS 15 reveal, I'm pretty much gonna go back to my tried and true love, the Google Pixel.

As long as there's a Pixel 6 XL coming, and it's supposed to be a high end flagship, I'm probably going back.

Was so excited for iOS 15 after what I thought was coming, but 0% of what I expected is coming, meaning nothing. F crApple.

It sucks, because iOS 13 and especially 14 had great updates and long wanted features added, I was thinking iOS 15 would continue that. But this reveal was so lackluster and lame like Apple gave up and did practically nothing for 15.

Another Pixel only feature recently rolled in, and I was reminded of you owning a Pixel 4 XL. :)
Would you still purchase a Pixel 6 XL when it is likely to have a curved screen?
Your Pixel 4 XL has a flat screen, no hole punch or notch, a 1440p screen with greater resolution and pixels per inch, and nice stereo speakers. The CPU is fast and snappy, pages fly open, and scrolling is smooth and rapid.

As for updates, Google’s Pixel 4 XL will receive security and Android updates until October 2022. This means that the Pixel 4 XL will get Android 12 and Android 13.

My Pixel 4XL battery has 93% battery capacity, so I will continue to embrace this nice phone and see what next year's Pixel will be.

1.png

Last edited:
Back