Pixel 2 Is Coming This Year and Staying Premium

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A sequel to the Google phone being released this year is as surprising as Christmas in December, but we are getting further confirmation that prospective buyers will have to shell out the big bucks again for the next Pixel. I am totally okay with paying a premium, but please make a device that actually looks expensive this time. Naturally, nobody bothered to ask one of the most important questions: will Google make more than 10 units for launch?

When will we get the Pixel 2? Osterloh said, "There is an annual rhythm in the industry. So, you can count on us to follow it." He then follows up more concretely by saying, "You can count on a successor this year, even if you don't hear a date from me now." This also makes it clear that the Pixel was by no means a one-off experiment, but that it will remain a fixed quantity in the smartphone world. He also confirmed that the Pixel will be at home in the upper price segment. "Pixel stays premium," explains the hardware boss of Google. Also, he stuck to his answer through repeated questioning by various round table participants: there will be no cheap Pixel. Google will continue to leave lower price segments to other manufacturers.

Simply put, I love my Pixel. The size is perfect, its super snappy with never a slowdown, and the unlimited storage is perfect for recording everything in 4K.

I learned a bit of a lesson with my Nexus 6P... too big for my long term loving. Don't get me wrong, its' a great phone, and it's paid for so I'll be using it for quite a while. Kinda wish I'd saved the money though and gotten a 5X.

I wish they would have kept the Nexus line going. Clean Android, fast updates, good performance, good price. I don't need a $650+ penis extention for a phone, apparently some do.
There isnt a need. The Moto Z and the Oneplus are pretty much the new nexus devices.

My problem with a super expensive Pixel is that it will only get 2 new OS updates (two year support and since Google only releases a new OS once a year) and then one more year for security updates.

This means, a phone that can cost you 1K, will end up costing around 300 bucks a year.

For that, I might as well but a new 300 bucks phone every year.

And as a N6 owner, which was pretty much forced to flash another ROM (PureNexus) to be able to get proper updates and a better experience, I would seriously buy an iPhone instead of a Pixel at the same price. At the very least, apple seems to be willing to support a device up to 5 years.

My problem with a super expensive Pixel is that it will only get 2 new OS updates (two year support and since Google only releases a new OS once a year) and then one more year for security updates.

This means, a phone that can cost you 1K, will end up costing around 300 bucks a year.

For that, I might as well but a new 300 bucks phone every year.

And as a N6 owner, which was pretty much forced to flash another ROM (PureNexus) to be able to get proper updates and a better experience, I would seriously buy an iPhone instead of a Pixel at the same price. At the very least, apple seems to be willing to support a device up to 5 years.
Paid $499 for ours from Verizon during release week. Not sure where that $1000 number comes from, unless you're buying off ebay.

Have an iPhone ( for work) on my left hip and the Pixel (for personal) on the right. I'm always using the Pixel. Better in every way.

Paid $499 for ours from Verizon during release week. Not sure where that $1000 number comes from, unless you're buying off ebay.

Have an iPhone ( for work) on my left hip and the Pixel (for personal) on the right. I'm always using the Pixel. Better in every way.
Pixel XL 128 is US$ 869, before taxes and extended warranty, if chosen.

But in your haste to prove me wrong, you ignored that.

Last edited:
Pixel XL 128 is US$ 869, before taxes and warranty, if chosen.

But in your haste to prove me wrong, you ignored that.
Relax. I never saw anything above in the thread to point out where the $1k came from, which is why I asked. Wasn't trying to prove you wrong so you can chill out. Besides, you only said Pixel, not XL or even the storage.

I'm sitting here using a 32GB Pixel that I paid only $499 for in the end, retail, the week after release. No haste, no ignoring, just truth.

Relax. I never saw anything above in the thread to point out where the $1k came from, which is why I asked. Wasn't trying to prove you wrong so you can chill out. Besides, you only said Pixel, not XL or even the storage.

I'm sitting here using a 32GB Pixel that I paid only $499 for in the end, retail, the week after release. No haste, no ignoring, just truth.
Ok, i see your point.

Dont get me wrong, i also had a chance to use a Pixel 32gb and really liked the phone, but like i said, imho, they are asking for a lot of money for something that wont be supported past the two years mark.

If i could get one heavily discounted, like what they did with the N6, the perhaps, i might end picking one up.

Just hope they decide to change their update policy and extend it to at least 3 years.

If it doesn't have wireless charging I ain't even looking at the rest of the specs, fk that shit!

I feel so jaded, smart phone announcements are just so damn boring anymore. Slightly faster CPU/GPU, slightly upgraded camera, blah blah blah. Doesn't matter if it's Android or iOS - I think the tech peaked 4-5 years ago.
What I want is someone to release a phone that is a littler thicker (not a stupid amount, maybe an 1/8" or so) and has like 3-4 days of battery life under normal use.

Back