Pix of MSI's upcoming AM2 socket MB

Biggest problem I see is that the ram is too close to the mounting hardware for the CPU fan. If you are using taller modules like the Corsair XMS Pro or Xpert modules, you are screwed for good air coolers.

I'm extremely glad they went back to 4 hole mounting. Pressure and contact sucks with 2. That looks like a 939 socket and ddr1 board though :confused:

z3r0- said:
I'm extremely glad they went back to 4 hole mounting. Pressure and contact sucks with 2. That looks like a 939 socket and ddr1 board though :confused:

Did you expect a round board with a inverted socket? :p

No I thought AM2 had more pins... Maybe I just can't tell from the pics.

z3r0- said:

1 more pin :) Hard as hell to count all of them :D

Maybe I'll wait in upgrading to a brand new system. Let the Am2 evolve a bit more after release date.

VulturEMaN said:
1. The randomly placed 4pin plug to the left of the processor hole has me angry.

That would actually be better for people with PSUs on the bottom of the system. Fortunately, my PSU's 4-pin connector is long enough to reach the 4-pin plug on the asus a8n32sli deluxe (which is at the VERY TOP of the board), but a lot of people without that kind of reach would have to get ugly extensions.

z3r0- said:

the server line will have a socket f 1207 pins, i cant find the article at the moment. sucks nothing is backwards compatible. i wonder what speed ddr2 ram it will use cause i see a lot of current sticks cheaper than some ddr stuff.

however i knew they were coming soon, but i had the money last month and knew i would not have it in april. that and my current pc was crashing all the time no matter what i tried when gaming. rarely crashed outside of games, but hey. new one runs great.

rob2000 said:
i wonder what speed ddr2 ram it will use cause i see a lot of current sticks cheaper than some ddr stuff.

"Socket M2 processors will support Dual Channel DDR2-667 memories with a low latency of CL3 and HTT is raised from 200MHz to 333MHz."

Raudulfr said:
"Socket M2 processors will support Dual Channel DDR2-667 memories with a low latency of CL3 and HTT is raised from 200MHz to 333MHz."
Yeah, I think that's the biggest advantage to M2, the FSB goes from 200 to 333.

hmmm, would M2 socket mobos have true x16 PCIe slots?
Like in A8N32-SLi mobos? (total of x32)

And anyword when they are actually gonna use this technology to
benefit the utilization of SLi cards? (better benchmarks?)

Or am I wrong? I thought tru x16 slots allow the cars to run at x16
in SLi mode, instead of them being limited to x8.
Or is it that its just allowing x16 for two cards when they are in the
PCI-e x16 slots, with out SLi?

topaimz said:
hmmm, would M2 socket mobos have true x16 PCIe slots?
Like in A8N32-SLi mobos? (total of x32)

This one doesn't. It depends on the chipset being used.

Or am I wrong? I thought tru x16 slots allow the cars to run at x16
in SLi mode, instead of them being limited to x8.
Or is it that its just allowing x16 for two cards when they are in the
PCI-e x16 slots, with out SLi?

Motherboards with PCI-E have N number of PCI-E lanes, say 20. 16 of them goes for the PCI-E x16 slot and the rest for x1 / x2 or x4 slots. SLI motherboards have the same number of lanes (generally) so despite having two x16 slots they only have 16 lanes available therefore they split it and each slot has 8 lanes. The A8N32 has a northbridge AND a southbridge so it has more lanes availabe (in the southbridge). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yoshiyuki Blade said:
That would actually be better for people with PSUs on the bottom of the system. Fortunately, my PSU's 4-pin connector is long enough to reach the 4-pin plug on the asus a8n32sli deluxe (which is at the VERY TOP of the board), but a lot of people without that kind of reach would have to get ugly extensions.

Except for the growing stupidity of the P180 and awesome cases like Lian-Li, I see no use for inverted mobos (except for watercooling...then it pwns). Having a PSU at the top of your case that has a single 120mm fan pwns all the heat in a case.

Carbon_Le said:
The AM2 mobos are gonna be socket 940 right?

hmm.... no.

am2 is rumerd to have 940 pins, but theyve been moved. sooo no. not socket 940. its socket AM2, thats why its called AM2 lol

i guess my main gripe is the fact that its still a socket instead of like Intel's nice chip holder. guess we have to deal with ripped out chips for another gen on the AMD side.

mavalpha said:
Physically 940 pins, but a different set from ECC (early Opteron+FX) 940. Current 940 chips will not work in AM2 boards.

yea but now thatcha think about it this sounds like a job for asus...

they converted the origonal pci-looking slottish thing of a socket to a 370 or w/e it was. yea. im betting they could make a daughter board that would do the same thing. but it would definatly not do aswell as the ones ment for socket AM2. but it would be nice for those who would like to transplant a high FX series.

and what the hellel is DC? direct current?

MrWizard6600 said:
yea but now thatcha think about it this sounds like a job for asus...

they converted the origonal pci-looking slottish thing of a socket to a 370 or w/e it was. yea. im betting they could make a daughter board that would do the same thing. but it would definatly not do aswell as the ones ment for socket AM2. but it would be nice for those who would like to transplant a high FX series.

and what the hellel is DC? direct current?

Won't work... Socket 940 used ECC DDR... AM2 as you know is DDR2. With the on-die memory controller... I don't think your gunna get real far.

buy your ddr2 memory now while it cheaper than ddr 1 if you goijng to be upgrading to the am2 . I f you odnt i hope you have the extra cash when the orice of ddr2 goes way up because more people are gonne be using it

t3chyo888 said:
buy your ddr2 memory now while it cheaper than ddr 1 if you goijng to be upgrading to the am2 . I f you odnt i hope you have the extra cash when the orice of ddr2 goes way up because more people are gonne be using it

High tech products do not go up in price when they become more widely used. They go down. The only thing that might change is that high performance speed-binned modules might go up in price because there would be more demand for highly overclockable chips. Regular modules will either go down in price slightly, or stay the same. AMD doesn't make up that much of the global computer market share.

t3chyo888 said:

My thinking is entirly different. IMHO, a large majority of the enthusiast market is on AMD based systems, hence why there had been alot of great DDR1 chips released even after DDR2 came out. We've seen TCCD which was amazing stuff, A return of BH5 (/UTT), and just reciently UCCC is appearing to be some sweet 2GB OCing goodness. I haven't been following DDR2 much, but AFIAK, it hasn't been advancing in the same way because there is less demand for a highly overclockable part. I think AMD entering the DDR2 market is going to change that, and I think with AM2 there will be the introduction of new high-performance DDR2 memory. I'd rather wait for that to come out.

Back