Pix of MSI's upcoming AM2 socket MB

wonkman

Limp Gawd
SLI marchitecture, six S-ATA drives, has for DDR 2 dim slots, two PCIe 16X slots, two PCIe 4X slots, two PCI and MSI's special CNR like slot.

MSI AM2

ImageShack:
1, 2, 3, 4

dangit, they had to go and change the mounting for us watercoolers didnt they. Fockers...

I though the M2 socket was reversed like LGA775? Thought I read that somewhere...Anyways, MSI boards are always sexy. :cool:

This is crap. I did not expect it this soon. I have not even paid for my new system I just bought a month ago. I hope to hell for a paper launch now. Make all you people wait for the M2.

roaf85 said:
This is crap. I did not expect it this soon. I have not even paid for my new system I just bought a month ago. I hope to hell for a paper launch now. Make all you people wait for the M2.

lol who cares be happy with your system.. ;)

Jasonx82 said:
I was just about to buy this rig:

4400+
7800gtx
a8n-e
74 gig raptor 10k rpm
ect

Should I wait for the am2? Will the performance be that much greater? What about the prices?

Thanks,
jcll2002

The 'official' launch of the AM2 socket motherboards was Q2 of 2006 (delayed at the end of the last year).

And in price wise, AMD advised the MB makers to make it about $10 more expensive then the other existing socket MBs out there. So if makers like ASUS, MSI, DFI, etc. adhere to the advise AMD gave them, there won't be much difference in cost on the MB.

However, since AM2 supports DDR2, your RAM may cost more...

So I think you should decide to wait; meanwhile get a job earn some more cash for DDR2.
:D

After seeing years of Intel sockets, its strange to see the random "plugged" holes in the socket.

Looks like one excellent board none the less :)

Grimdj said:
I though the M2 socket was reversed like LGA775? Thought I read that somewhere...Anyways, MSI boards are always sexy. :cool:
That's Socket F, which I think is the server socket.

Jasonx82 said:

Oh I am. I am being sarcastic. Coming from an xp 2200 on a ti4600 anything can make me happy, but god did she last a good 4 and a half years.

Doesn't look revolutionizing or anything... feels like a jump from a 754 to a 939...

And honestly, there was no reason to change the mounting bracket ONCE again... it's getting old :(

topaimz said:
However, since AM2 supports DDR2, your RAM may cost more...

So I think you should decide to wait; meanwhile get a job earn some more cash for DDR2.

DDR2 on the whole is actually cheaper than DDR.

Carbon_Le said:
The AM2 mobos are gonna be socket 940 right?
Physically 940 pins, but a different set from ECC (early Opteron+FX) 940. Current 940 chips will not work in AM2 boards.

so the only real performance gains are gonna be the ddr2? i didnt think ddr2 was that HUGE of a difrence in performance compared to ddr1. And from what i read on anandtech all you 939 owners will do very well with your systems inot the 1 q of 2007. A whole year!. Im just debating because its time for me to retire this 478 but everytime abou about to order new stuff i see things like this in the forums.

GGRRRRRR so it leaves me wondering should i truly wait and torture my self a little while longer?

wonkman said:
SLI marchitecture, six S-ATA drives, has for DDR 2 dim slots, two PCIe 16X slots, two PCIe 4X slots, two PCI and MSI's special CNR like slot.

MSI AM2
Looks cool, but what is "MSI's special CNR like slot"???? and i dont like only having 2 PCI slots (but it would work i guess)

The page is back up, as of the moment I'm posting this. In case it does crash again, I copied the pics to my webspace- please don't use these unless necessary! I don't know how much bandwidth I'm allowed!
http://home.comcast.net/~mavalpha/Pics/AM2Socket.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~mavalpha/Pics/AM2Board.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~mavalpha/Pics/AM2Chipset.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~mavalpha/Pics/AM2ChipsetCloseup.jpg

I think the orange slot also works as a standard PCI, for a total of three older expansion cards.

I'm I seeing this right?

Does it only have one IDE channel? (thinking that being that most of the DVD/CD drives are IDE still, doesn't that mean we WOULD have to have SATA HD's with this particular mobo?)

NEODARK said:
I'm I seeing this right?

Does it only have one IDE channel? (thinking that being that most of the DVD/CD drives are IDE still, doesn't that mean we WOULD have to have SATA HD's with this particular mobo?)

I was just going to post that as well. I guess it's a new nvidia chipset, which will maybe bring azalia audio. The one ide channel thing has been on intel's chipset for a while, though I don't like it. Glad I just upgraded to nforce4 sli w/ 2 ide channels.

Pr3z said:
People still use IDE harddrives?

People still use OLD raptors?! :rolleyes:

Seriously, most people are still using IDE and all (just about all) optical drives are still IDE.

what do you think?

unlike many other PC parts HDD's are a thing that stays while doing PC upgrades, why waste it?.

SATA? please, no performance difference that makes it necessary...

And im sure you could add a controller, but thats besides the point, IDE has a long time to go before it dissapears.

NEODARK said:
what do you think?

unlike many other PC parts HDD's are a thing that stays while doing PC upgrades, why waste it?.

SATA? please, no performance difference that makes it necessary...

And im sure you could add a controller, but thats besides the point, IDE has a long time to go before it dissapears.

The way I see it... the more ports the better... the lesser the controllers the bigger the sime here :)

Not every change in hardware is performance related.

DDR2 isn't going to significantly increase performance, but it uses less power and runs cooler. And the whole industry has been moving towards serial vs prallel interfaces because serial is easier and cheaper these days.

So in the end, many of these improvements are cost releated, which is why in the hardware world, we continue to get more poerformace at less cost continuously.

I wonder what their NB cooling solution will be... hopefully someone finally gets it right and it wont interfere with the SLI config.

looks fun though!

URaClown said:
I wonder what their NB cooling solution will be... hopefully someone finally gets it right and it wont interfere with the SLI config.

looks fun though!

Rofls.. yeah... never made much sense on the placement.

NEODARK said:
I'm I seeing this right?

Well, you can still use a DVD burner and your old IDE drive if you really want to. There isn't much need for multiple CD drives when a DVD burner does everything.

For all of you who just bought gear do not worry. 939 will still be good for another 8-12months ;) but in the case taht you are upgrading I would wait a little bit.

And to those who think ddr2 is expensive and horrible it used to be :D . Decent ddr2 can be commonly found for less than ddr1 and to those who dislike its "bad" performance, I will take 330mhz 3-2-2-5 over 260mhz 2-2-2-5 anyday of the week.

What issues are there that they cant put all the power plugs right next to each other?

1. The randomly placed 4pin plug to the left of the processor hole has me angry.
2. The bottom 2 SATA are a bit lower than the rest of em. Possibly more Marvell nonsense again?
3. Is it just me, or do the RAM slots look very close together?
4. What the heck is that orange PCI slot at the bottom? buh?

1. We need more SATA CD/DVD burners (that actually work)
2. WTH....more PCIE-1x? when will these actually not require some 200$ card to do something?!
3. There had better be an option to turn off IDE.
4. BTW, above the 24pin mobo plug is either another IDE header(?) or just a black IDE plug we couldn't see good.

VulturEMaN said:
1. The randomly placed 4pin plug to the left of the processor hole has me angry.
2. The bottom 2 SATA are a bit lower than the rest of em. Possibly more Marvell nonsense again?
3. Is it just me, or do the RAM slots look very close together?
4. What the heck is that orange PCI slot at the bottom? buh?

1. We need more SATA CD/DVD burners (that actually work)
2. WTH....more PCIE-1x? when will these actually not require some 200$ card to do something?!
3. There had better be an option to turn off IDE.
4. BTW, above the 24pin mobo plug is either another IDE header(?) or just a black IDE plug we couldn't see good.
1- I'm sure they have a good reason for that.. but it's not a bad spot at all. If you're concerned about wire management, route the wire along the top of the motherboard, then drop down at a right angle and run it along the motherboard over the capacitors, or between capacitors and heatsink.
2- not sure what that is/was
3- RAM is fine. Some manufacturers space them out in pairs. MSI hasn't done this that I know of.
4- I'm guessing it's similar to the K8N board's orange slot:

Three 32-bit v2.3 Master PCI bus slots, including one orange slot which supports 2 master for
MSI special PCI function card (ex. wireless LAN and bluetooth combo card)

1- I agree.. I want IDE to die out already... SATA cables are a lot easier to work with.
2- never ;)
3- does it matter?
4- I guess it's floppy connector, but hard to tell from the picture. Floppy connectors are smaller than the 24 pin ATX connector, but the picture is all blurry and small...

Back