Pittsburgh Mayor: Verizon Broke Agreement To Provide FiOS To Entire City

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure how smart it is for Verizon to be pissing off the mayor of Pittsburgh.

“We have an agreement with Verizon that, over the course of several years, the entire city would be provided with FiOS,” Peduto recently told WTAE-TV, “and it was the agreement that allowed them to start putting their lines in the public right of way. They have now broken that agreement.”

Mayor Menino (former Mayor of Boston) may he rest in peace, would not let Verizon into the city. Their plan was to wire the affluent neighborhoods only.

I bet this is what Verizon is doing in Pittsburgh, New Jersey etc.

If he was really that "pissed off", he (and the other of the city leaders mentioned) would have already reached out to Google for Google Fiber, instead of sending some BS petition to Verizon...
Money talks....

Verizon maintains that it is “in compliance with the terms of the franchise agreement and that with certain exceptions allowed under the franchise, there are no residential areas of the city where Verizon does not offer cable service.”

These franchise agreements are usually exclusive agreements where the residents are sold out by stupid or greedy politicians. In fact, most politicians are both.

First world problems? Good to know the mayor prioritizes the issues correctly lol

First world problems? Good to know the mayor prioritizes the issues correctly lol

You realize America is a first world country right? :rolleyes:

What's he supposed to worry about? People in Africa or something? Not his job, bruh.

What's he supposed to worry about? People in Africa or something? Not his job, bruh.

It was more of a response to that the mayor is sounding whiny about the fact that not 100% of the people have it. It did not show any documents or information relating to the agreement so all I could derive is that he is seeking attention. The previous poster provided good information that makes this sound more reasonable though.

They wired my part of the neighborhood which is definitely less than 20 years old and affluent but skipped the area where my parents live in which most houses are 50 years old.

They wired my part of the neighborhood which is definitely less than 20 years old and affluent but skipped the area where my parents live in which most houses are 50 years old.

Although my brother in law does not live in an affluent neighborhood but he has FIOS.

well when the companies promise and don't deliver, the Gov should confiscate the lines to recoup the tax breaks/subsidies they were given. I'm hardcore conservative, but this $hit pisses me off.

Verizon is going to do as little as they have to in order to satisfy the agreements they signed.

PA, NY and NJ are all pretty pissed atm with how Verizon is getting all nitpicky about what they actually have to serve.

Personally I wish Verizon would roll out what they agreed to so that where I work would get more business and I'd have more job security.

This will either end up in the courts for years or someone will make a big cash "donation" and it will all get swept under the rug I bet.

As for what/where gets wired.... age doesnt always have much to do with it. At times, its simply the owner of a pole refusing to let Verizon hang cable on it. The city doesnt own all the poles on the streets, and many poles have multiple owners sharing cost and if the owners dont want someone else on their pole, they dont have to let them use it.

This is why Google Fiber has issues in some spots. They cant simply go down the street and tack up new cable without permission from every owner of every pole they touch. Sometimes Verizon will place a new pole to get into an area, sometimes they cant or wont. Far too many variables come into play with it.

Its a shitty system and does nothing to help competition. Surprise surprise.

I'm glad Peduto is going after them for not doing what they have promised. I live in a non affluent neighborhood, but do have FIOS, and I still pray to our lord & savior Google Fibre for broadband deliverance! :D

Considering Pennsylvania gave $2.1 Billion to Verizon to wire the whole state and they did about 5% said, "Whoops, ran out of money..." and stopped. Good reason to be mad.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131012/02124724852/decades-failed-promises-verizon-it-promises-fiber-to-get-tax-breaks-then-never-delivers.shtml

Fortunately I was in that 5% when I was in PA.

To be honest, $2.1 Billion isn't that much. They wouldn't have done the entire state for that little bit of money. Should have gotten more an 5%. But no way would they have gotten 100%.

Good, repossess what they did and license it to Google. That'd be the ultimate FU.

That's not PC bruh.

Mayor Menino (former Mayor of Boston) may he rest in peace, would not let Verizon into the city. Their plan was to wire the affluent neighborhoods only.

I bet this is what Verizon is doing in Pittsburgh, New Jersey etc.

I don't know if affluent is really the metric. It seemed to be at first, but over time it appears not to be the case. What the metric is, entirely is a mystery, however there are some patterns I've noticed in NJ.

1) Your population density seems to have to be below a certain threshold and above a certain threshold.

2) Your odds of ever getting covered go way down if your area has a number of large apartment complexes, even if your population density is reasonable. (those places tend to have single provider access for cable and telco).

3) Your odds go up if you are serviced by copper with older switching equipment.

4) Your odds go down if your area requires running significant aerial fiber. (but it has been done)

5) your odds drop to essentially zero if making a deal to be there involves them installing or repairing any significant copper infrastructure. (they are fighting serving and refreshing copper infrastructure tooth and nail)

It's shitsburg. They should be lucky FIOS is even coming into their town of knuckle dragging, block-headed retards.

If he was really that "pissed off", he (and the other of the city leaders mentioned) would have already reached out to Google for Google Fiber, instead of sending some BS petition to Verizon...
Money talks....
I would guess that the Pittsburgh FIOS contract was signed before Google Fiber was available.
With these kinds of contracts, you can't just stop on a dime and ask another vendor to step in. There are legal ramifications that have to considered and you have to go through the steps laid out in the contract regarding non-delivery.
Since Verizon is of the opinion that they've met the contract metrics, it'll be a long battle.

I would guess that the Pittsburgh FIOS contract was signed before Google Fiber was available.
With these kinds of contracts, you can't just stop on a dime and ask another vendor to step in. There are legal ramifications that have to considered and you have to go through the steps laid out in the contract regarding non-delivery.
Since Verizon is of the opinion that they've met the contract metrics, it'll be a long battle.

Correct, it was right about the time GF was started (2004, 2005ish I believe). I think I was one of the first FIOS ones because we were on DSL and 18k+ feet from the office so we could only get 860kbit max down when it worked at all.

Well if they broke their agreement (who is to say for sure, I'm sure verizons lawyers word these things very carefully ie easy to break), then the fix is simple. Unplug/cut the fiber from verizons network, and allow another ISP to take over. Never happen, but it would be nice to see.

right of way means that it is public municipal service, like the electric company or the old copper phone lines, so likely it means that they agreed to run fiber to the last mile, and ran coax instead would be my guess. Fiber run to everyone's wall and a router inside that can talk to the slam at the telco can then be used to offer any kind of digital signal over it. Coax or cable could be anything and could be slow or congested and not offer the tax players any benefit. You would have to see both the contract and the work done to know the actual case though. We can only guess.

right of way means that it is public municipal service, like the electric company or the old copper phone lines, so likely it means that they agreed to run fiber to the last mile, and ran coax instead would be my guess. Fiber run to everyone's wall and a router inside that can talk to the slam at the telco can then be used to offer any kind of digital signal over it. Coax or cable could be anything and could be slow or congested and not offer the tax players any benefit. You would have to see both the contract and the work done to know the actual case though. We can only guess.

DSLAMs are only found at DSL providers. I don't know how you authenticate fiber customers but cable modems on broadband networks communicate with a cable modem termination system which authenticates clients based on the MAC address of the cable modem.

I'm not sure how smart it is for Verizon to be pissing off the mayor of Pittsburgh.

“We have an agreement with Verizon that, over the course of several years, the entire city would be provided with FiOS,” Peduto recently told WTAE-TV, “and it was the agreement that allowed them to start putting their lines in the public right of way. They have now broken that agreement.”

They did the same thing in NYC and are currently getting sued for it.

Jeez, Verizon. Don't you guys have enough money? Taking Scrooge McDuck vault dives everyday not enough for you?

Back