Pitch a High Tech Solar Tent

Who even pitches a tent during the day anyway? My idea of camping is hiking all day, pitching your tent in the evening (when the sun is going down) and sleeping. Unless the solar panels are actually on the pack that contains the tent, it's not going to be getting much sun exposure during typical use. This tent just seems like a gratuitous waste of technology and money.

i go to bed then pitch a tent.

stuff like this takes tenting out of fun. unless your a sherpa in tibet or something that lives out of tents.

its a neat concept if you were an explorer that needs access to such materials in a pinch, but i wonder how light it is compared to solar options + standard tent.

sometimes kyle/steve post other solar products for recharging that are much more compact for phones etc.

The Concept Tent’s solar shell uses this technology to full effect with three directional glides which can be moved throughout the day to maximise its solar efficiency

How many people stay in a tent during the day though?

I thought the whole idea behind camping was to get away from all that shit.

It looks like it's a cool expensive toy, with very little use, that completely defeats the purpose of camping. If I'm camping my phone is off and the only source of light I'm going to use is a lantern with a flashlight for backup. Also what's the point of the heated floor. Haven't these people ever heard of a good camping bag? Basically a cool toy that's totally worthless.

About Orange

Orange is the key brand of the France Telecom Group, one of the world’s leading telecommunications operators. With 123 million customers, the Orange brand now covers Internet, television and mobile services in the majority of countries where the Group operates.

I'm just not making the connection as to why a French telecommunications group is shelling out the money for concept art of outdoor recreational equipment.

Who even pitches a tent during the day anyway? My idea of camping is hiking all day, pitching your tent in the evening (when the sun is going down) and sleeping. Unless the solar panels are actually on the pack that contains the tent, it's not going to be getting much sun exposure during typical use. This tent just seems like a gratuitous waste of technology and money.

Yeah I agree. also kind of takes the camping out of camping.
7221e5c8ec6b08ef6d3f9ff3ce6eb1d1.gif

is that even camping anymore?

That was my thought as well. I might be able to justify the lighting but even that is iffy.

What I find interesting is why anyone would want something like this. Most people so entranced with technology probably wouldn't ever go camping anyway. I might be able to see some use for this in a military or industrial application but that's about it.

I could see this being pretty useful if it were used near either pole as the sun would be up all day and it'd still be cold as all get out, so you'd want the solar panels powering a heater. Still, that'd be a small group of people who might potentially use this expensive product.

It all depends on what you consider "camping". My parents owned a "pop-up" trailer/tent when I was a kid and we "camped out" several times each year. We would spend several weekends at the lake, take a week to the Ozarks, etc. that didn't require hiking around. If it was just myself or even my wife and myself I could see this as being a pretty decent option for this kind of "camping" (as long as the price was reasonable). In other words, were you find a place to put up a tent and stay there several days while swimming/boating/siteseeing/whatever.

Now, for my backpacking trips, no way. Those are meant to get away from society/technology/etc. and really rough it. Depending on the time of year and weather forcasts I don't even bother with a tent on some weekend trips... less weight to carry.

<old guy> back when I was camping, we didn't need these wireless hub, solar whatever or other technical stuff - we just pitched our A tent and made ourselves a campfire. Heck, we used to walk 50 miles just to use the restroom - with no toilet paper!</old guy>

Who even pitches a tent during the day anyway?
Every guy, if you ask pretty much any woman LOL. But damn, I remember camping that didn't have solar power this, solar power that, inflatable beds, LCD lanterns/flashlights, etc. "Real" camping.

Back