Piss poor LTC Hash Rate

I have an XFX DD 7950 set up mining LTC, but am only getting ~330KHash. This card should push around 600, what could I be doing wrong?

I am running GUIMiner -scrypt alpha with the default setting for 7950 (low usage):

Thread concurrency 8192
Vectors 1
GPU threads 2
Use Stratum Yes
Worksize 256
Intensity 13

No extra flags. Setting Intensity to 20 crashes the AMD driver. Any help would be appreciated, I will make a donation if someone can help get me to a proper hashrate.

I am about as far from an expert at this as possible, but why GPU threads 2?

For my 7970 I have:
Thread concurrency 20992
Vectors 1
GPU threads 1
Use Stratum Yes
Worksize 256
Intensity 20

And it works pretty well. You would need a different/lower thread concurrency of course. What drivers, and do you need the computer to be usable?

What driver version do you have? I'm using the 13.4's with settings:

Thread Concurrency: 21712
Worksize: 256
Intensity: 18

585- kh/s at stock settings.

H.

(edit fix kh/s typo)

OK so I installed the AMD APP SDK 2.9, rebooted and now am getting ~490KHash/s with the same settings. I tried overclocking and got 0 difference in performance.

My driver versions are as follows:

AMD Radeon HD7900 Series Driver 13.152.1.1000 (Dated 9/1/2013)
AMD SDK 2.9
amdocl64.dll 10.0.1268.1
OpenCL: 1.2.11.0

Temps hold around 81C with clocks at 925 core / 1250 memory at 1.25v

I'll try fooling around with the settings tomorrow. Thanks.

try intensity 18. Is this the primary card in the system, or a secondary card ?

I have the same problem with a 7870 card. Tried everything but I can't get over 330Kh/s from it.

Anything other than Thread concurrency 8192 and CGMiner won't even start and I've played with Intensity from 12-20 and it makes little difference, 18 or 19 and I get 325-330Kh/s.

I have the card running at 975/1350 just fine, just can't seem to get any more from it and I've seen people on other boards telling me they are getting 380-400Kh/s or more from the same card. I'm starting to think they are full of shit.

1) Start your tuning with completely stock Core/RAM ALWAYS. I've had a card be stable but say I'm just slightly too high on RAM speed then that video card error pops up when I go to run. I've seen MANY times where at a certain point overclocking significantly lowers my hash rate. There is a fine line you have to balance across.

2) after a video driver error, REBOOT

3) How much RAM? sadly every mining rig I've tried with 2gb RAM has been limited by that. 4gb is what I'm using in everything now and I'm considering bumping up to 6Gb or 8

4) NEVER use frickin GUIminer
I use cgwatcher with cgminer. You can change settings really easily and have it monitor things for you.

Some cards are very picky about clock rate on the core. I've seen people gain 100+khash/s (on bigger card) by going from 1000 to a 950 clock rate. Just have to play with it.

Im at work now and check my hashrate through my coinotron account. About an hour it said 280khash/s and now it says 755. Wtf?

Coinotron varies wildly. I wouldn't use its output as actual. CGMiner will give you a much more accurate (less fluctuating) hashrate.

Some cards are very picky about clock rate on the core. I've seen people gain 100+khash/s (on bigger card) by going from 1000 to a 950 clock rate. Just have to play with it.

my HIS R9 at 1100 core does way worse than it does at 1050 with EVERYTHING exactly the same. I tinker with ~ 25mhz at a time and full test a solid 200Mhz range because this stuff does unexplainable things at times

Coinotron varies wildly. I wouldn't use its output as actual. CGMiner will give you a much more accurate (less fluctuating) hashrate.

every pool has crazy bounces. Just use it for verifying you are up and then hash rate just worry about cgminer.

That massic spike was probably just turning in some harder

I have the same problem with a 7870 card. Tried everything but I can't get over 330Kh/s from it.

Anything other than Thread concurrency 8192 and CGMiner won't even start and I've played with Intensity from 12-20 and it makes little difference, 18 or 19 and I get 325-330Kh/s.

I have the card running at 975/1350 just fine, just can't seem to get any more from it and I've seen people on other boards telling me they are getting 380-400Kh/s or more from the same card. I'm starting to think they are full of shit.

I know for a fact at this point a lot of folks lie about their hashrates.

Which is fine, but it leaves me troubleshooting for hours on something that I shouldn't be worrying about.

your hashrate is pretty much what my 78xx cards run.

Last edited:
I have an XFX DD 7950 set up mining LTC, but am only getting ~330KHash. This card should push around 600, what could I be doing wrong?

I am running GUIMiner -scrypt alpha with the default setting for 7950 (low usage):

Thread concurrency 8192
Vectors 1
GPU threads 2
Use Stratum Yes
Worksize 256
Intensity 13

No extra flags. Setting Intensity to 20 crashes the AMD driver. Any help would be appreciated, I will make a donation if someone can help get me to a proper hashrate.

Did you update the cgminer folder to 3.7.2?

That made a pretty big difference for me.

Also don't run 2 threads, set your worksize to 64, and set your thread concurrency to double what you have it on now. Make sure you are on the latest amd driver, and be sure to download the amd SDK:http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-.../amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/

Crashing means you need more volts or lower clock.

To run guiminer's 7950 high usage, I had to do the cmd line set usage to 100% thing, then set up a MSI afterburner profile with 1.1v, 950 core and 800 memory, auto fan, and +50% power usage (requires registry edit). Nets about 550 and keeps my temps at 71c with no annoying throttling.

The computer is basically unusable while it's mining on high. I can get more info later, on cell now. Started messing with this for the first time last night.

Last edited:
/sigh I guess my poor old Antec True Power 650 couldn't handle the Kh/s ownage my 7870 was putting out today. It died while I was at school this morning...:(

Don't feel too bad, my 7970 barely scrapes 500Kh/sec

Ordered a refurb 7970 for cheap to double up my efforts. Worst case scenario I have a crossfire 7970 setup :D

I feel your pain. just figured I'd move over to a bit of LTC action for a while to test the waters. ~500 khash on each of my two cards and I haven't been able to get anything more out of them.

Thread concurrency 21712, worksize 256, vectors 1, threads 1 intensity 13. cgminer 3.7.2. Anything more on intensity seems to reduce GPU utilization slightly and make the PC absolutely chug (unusable) with no apparent benefit to kh/s. Overclocking doesn't seem to give a big benefit.

Don't feel too bad, my 7970 barely scrapes 500Kh/sec

Ordered a refurb 7970 for cheap to double up my efforts. Worst case scenario I have a crossfire 7970 setup :D

I picked up a pair of 7970's tonight and after about 2 hours of tuning I'm still stuck around 500k which kinda makes me angry because my $100 6950's are doing just a little less than that.

I will be installing afterburner tomorrow and inching my clock up. Intensity doesn't seem to help the hashrate on these 7970's but there's a pair of 6950's in that setup right now so I need the high intensity because they respond well to it. I think those 2 6950's will go in a 500w system when those 280x's come tomorrow

the gpu clock rate to memory ratio is supposed to matter quite a bit with LTC, and memory speeds are supposed to matter the most between the two.

I wonder what is causing such a high variance between people's cards. I haven't had any issues at all, and one of my machines is running a 7850 and two 6670s, all set to 20 intensity and its been up for 48 hrs now rock solid.

the gpu clock rate to memory ratio is supposed to matter quite a bit with LTC, and memory speeds are supposed to matter the most between the two.
going from 950/1425 -> 1100/1450 netted me zero increase and increased temps pretty dramatically. going to 950/1500 also got me nothing

Didn't read the whole thread but are you still using GUIMiner? I am getting average of 620-630 one my 2 7950's(Gigabyte & MSI) using CGminer with a config file. I can post what I am running with later tonight if you want?

Using CGminer. Max out around 480KHash with the following settings:

]
"intensity" : "13",
"vectors" : "1",
"worksize" : "256",
"lookup-gap" : "2",
"thread-concurrency" : "17920",
"shaders" : "1792",

"gpu-engine" : "900-925",
"gpu-fan" : "40-100",
"gpu-memclock" : "1250",
"gpu-powertune" : "20",
"gpu-vddc" : "1.100",
"temp-cutoff" : "99",
"temp-overheat" : "95",
"temp-target" : "80",

"api-port" : "4028",
"expiry" : "120",
"failover-only" : true,
"gpu-threads" : "2",

"log" : "5",
"queue" : "1",
"scan-time" : "60",
"temp-hysteresis" : "3",

"scrypt" : true,
"kernel" : "scrypt",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin"
}

Well off the top of my head I can tell you gpu engine on mine is set at 1050

intensity is everything, 13 is leaving a LOT on the table still

Depends on the card, my R9 280X goes down from 798ish when I raise the intensity past 13

I found the guide in the cgminer directory very helpful

Upping the intensity doesn't raise my hash rate much and just generates HW errors.

I keep my 7970s at 13, 1050/1500 gives me 730 KH/s per card. No HW errors at this setting.

Like the above poster said it depends on the card. All 7970s I've had work best at 13

Depends on the card, my R9 280X goes down from 798ish when I raise the intensity past 13

I found the guide in the cgminer directory very helpful

It does, but I would try raising the intensity in his case to see if it helps.

I managed to get it up to ~530KHash through overclocking. Now the card is pegged at 91c and 100% fan.. Oh well good thing xfx has a lifetime warranty (for as long as they are in business at least).

Btw intensity 18-20 crashes display driver and 13 -18 do nothing and even decrease khash.

It does, but I would try raising the intensity in his case to see if it helps.

Yeah my 7850 needed 18 to be stable and reach a decent output but I can't reiterate, don't throw settings at the wall to see if it sticks.

Find the optimum thread concurrency, raise the memory speed as much as you are comfortable and then find the best gpu speed for that memory speed.

Last edited:
I managed to get it up to ~530KHash through overclocking. Now the card is pegged at 91c and 100% fan.. Oh well good thing xfx has a lifetime warranty (for as long as they are in business at least).

Btw intensity 18-20 crashes display driver and 13 -18 do nothing and even decrease khash.

Do NOT run that card at 91C. There is a very good chance a VRM will actually burn because they are hotter than the gpu temps. Use GPU-z to check VRM temps. you don't want them over 100C. Also, running 90%+ fan speed will cause it to die in < 3 months. Then you will have at least 3-4 weeks of downtime for an RMA.

Replace the paste, and run it at 85C tops, even that is pushing it.

I had a XFX DD 7950 and couldn't get it over 550 kH. Their cards suck at mining and they're hot.

Also, running 90%+ fan speed will cause it to die in < 3 months. QUOTE]

Speaking in absolutes, eh? There is no guarentee that someone's card fan will die with speeds >90% for extended periods of time. Does it increase probability, sure, but not to the point where it's guaranteed to happen.

Back