Pirates Pirating Pirates In Predicament

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Six people said to be the administrators of 'pirate' movie site Tinymoviez have been arrested by Iranian authorities, reports TorrentFreak.
The difference in this case is since Iran has no copyright agreements with the United States, it's possible to be licensed by the state to legally pirate US content. However sources say Tinymoviez was targeted because rival pirate sites (which had been licensed to ‘pirate’ by the Iranian government) complained about its unlicensed status.

I'm dizzy. However it makes sense once you get your head wrapped around it. Authorities also added that the site offered movies (none are singled out) that may be unacceptable by Iranian standards.

"In July and August [2017], there was a meeting between a number of Iranian start-up companies and [current Telecommunications Minister Mohammad Javad Azari] Jahromi, who was asked by film and TV series distributors as well as video game developers to help shut down and monitor unlicensed rivals," a film distributor in Tehran told CHRI.

Hmm....Having to spend time in an Iranian prison, or have to deal with MPAA lawyers for the next 10-15 years as they attempt to take everything you have ever possessed and earned and ever will posess and earn away from you.

It's one of those cases of world law not really applying between between USA and IRAN as it might between England and USA.

I found the state sponsored piracy fairly interesting as it is a means of censorship to filter out 'innappropriate content' which is obviously a subjective affair. It's not different than the USA making movies like 'INSIDE' hard to get access to without hoops to jump through. If anything it would be entertaining to see what is classified as unacceptable by Iranian standards. If I had to take a guess it would have a lot to do with women and homosexuals being portrayed in a positive light, or at all.

legend_sf_honor.jpg

legal pirates vs illegal pirates. They just need to apply for a letter of marque

Is it actually "pirating" if it's legal in that jurisdiction?

Well, the ones being arrested are pirates, the other guys are privateers (kudos to Gigus).

Reactions: NLW
like this
Back