Pirates Fail To Prevent $38 Billion Box Office Record

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
What was the MPAA whining about again?

Hollywood tends to leave no opportunity unused in its quest to show that online piracy is devastating the movie industry. However, this supposed devastation is not visible at the box office this year. In 2015 worldwide box office grosses surpassed $38 billion, while North American theaters raked in more that $11 billion for the first time in history.

Just because movies break records doesnt mean pirating isn't a problem.

This world really needs to stop with this "billion dollar companies don't deserve shit from me, I can take it from them attitude."

Did you see that thread with the guy with the Asus board? . We don't need an army of fucktards like that running the world later.

Yeah but The H8ful Eight didn't do super good, so it must be the pirates fault, they said so! I mean when an early script was released and Tarantino got all pissy and refused to make the movie until they gave him a big bag of money to do it that totally is all piracy's fault!

Its a problem but nowhere near how bad as the movie companies make it out to be.

Also most people won't pirate if they can get the content at a reasonable price, as has been shown before.

That fact keeps getting ignored by industry because they're greedy as all hell and don't want to drop prices.

This world really needs to stop with this "billion dollar companies don't deserve shit from me, I can take it from them attitude."

Did you see that thread with the guy with the Asus board? . We don't need an army of fucktards like that running the world later.

Pirating is a problem created and kept alive by the exact industry out to squash it.

Piracy is alive and well, because of shit like geo-banning content, plyaing favorites with certain regions, lack of convenient access to the content, and most importantly DRM.

I don't want to pirate. But I wish to watch high quality content conveniently I have no other option. I can choose not to watch anything, but that won't help the industry.

Its a problem but nowhere near how bad as the movie companies make it out to be.

Also most people won't pirate if they can get the content at a reasonable price, as has been shown before.

That fact keeps getting ignored by industry because they're greedy as all hell and don't want to drop prices.

This

Pirating is a problem created and kept alive by the exact industry out to squash it.

Piracy is alive and well, because of shit like geo-banning content, plyaing favorites with certain regions, lack of convenient access to the content, and most importantly DRM.

I don't want to pirate. But I wish to watch high quality content conveniently I have no other option. I can choose not to watch anything, but that won't help the industry.

And this.

I have no idea what case you're referring to, but Asus had it coming. I have a M4A785TD-V Evo that has some unresolved timing issue (yes I still have it, and yes it's still messed up). In addition to my own troubleshooting (all the basics, isolate the board from other components, clean install ect ect.) I paid RMA shipping 3 times on that piece of shit. But every time Asus would not test it and send it back with a diagnosis of 'unable to replicate issue', which I believe. Because you've got to actually try to replicate the issue, you can't just plug in a power connector and call it a day when it POSTs (unless you're Asus, then that's all you can do).

H8 4 Asus.

But in the larger corporate sense, most corporations (and every single publicly traded corp) will do anything they can to lower costs/increase profitability, legality (and social contracts) be damned. If caught and prosecuted they may pay a fine. Pirates are simply applying the same principles on a smaller scale. I really see no problem with it. I also see no problem with buying software from other regional markets, if corporations can outsource their development to india/russia/poland, I see no reason not to import my software from where it was actually made.

There are still completely unskippable previews (you have to press next chapter like 14 times) on fucking blurays. Redeeming virtual copies has worked once out of like 15 times that I've tried it. There's constantly issues trying to do it

The bullshit they do to paying customers who support them makes me not give a fuck.

Hateful 8 was not even shown in my country....Guess what I did? That movie was a cookie cutter Tarantino. Know the man, then you probably guess how the movie was and so...it was boring. Yup, I got feed up for waiting for 4 or more trailer and ads that can't be skipped, to watch a BR movie I paid hard earned money for. I'm also tired of going to cinema to line up, eat stale popcorn at an outrageous price with bunch of tweens who can't keep their mouth shut and cellphone screens that blinding me.

In other words I'm tired of the entire industry handcrafted experience that i enjoyed as a kid, to a painful waste of time. The most I might do is watch something on amazon prime...but no, I have to pay an extra 33 usd a year to vpn into the US for it to work.

Pirates hardly make a dent in the movie industry bottom line. What it does do is make it easy for people who would have never paid to see the movie to get access to it. That's a philosophical debate there, not a financial one.

Instead of being an entitled pirate how about you uhm use unotelly and get geo locked content on netflix, hulu etc its a way for american tv to make more money sell you their stuff at highier prices. E,g Supersport a sports cannel in my country paid £296 million for the 2016-19 Barclays Premier League broadcast rights in sub-Saharan Africa

If you use VPN to get around netflix geolocking you are technically "pirating" even if is a service you are paying for. Just so you would know.

Instead of being an entitled pirate how about you uhm use unotelly and get geo locked content on netflix, hulu etc its a way for american tv to make more money sell you their stuff at highier prices. E,g Supersport a sports cannel in my country paid £296 million for the 2016-19 Barclays Premier League broadcast rights in sub-Saharan Africa

circumventing geolocking makes me just as evil in their eyes. And netflix is hardly drm free. I pay for much paid content on the net. Content that I can play hassle free on MPC-HC.

I don't understand the second part.

But it also doesn't mean that it is a problem. Most studies of movie piracy show that the biggest pirates actually spend significantly MORE money on movies (theaters and discs) than people who don't pirate at all.

The generally accepted consensus right now is that if content is available for a reasonable price in a convenient form it highly reduces piracy. Look at the significant drop in PC game piracy caused by Steam and other reasonably priced direct download options.

Basically, "piracy" is a canard for the various **AA groups.

They put out a shitty product that bombs because of how craptastic it is. "Piracy"
They distribute in a nasty, inconvenient format that doesn't sell well. "Piracy"

All the while they operate under the mistaken assumption that every pirated copy represents a lost sale. And they use how much a product has been pirated as a business intelligence tool and an indicator of secondary market popularity.

I used to pirate as a kid with no income and no legal way to acquire most of the content anyways. Ever since I've been able to afford it I've purchased everything. Sometimes I've both purchased and pirated because I wanted a DRM free version but also wanted to support the artist/studio/developer. Movies in particular I've both pirated and purchased the same film to get a drm free version. I hate that legal movies are locked into itunes,flixter,ultraviolet,google play,xbox store, etc... it's ridiculous, but almost everything comes with iTunes as an option so I have pretty much everything in there which is somewhat tolerable.

The generally accepted consensus right now is that if content is available for a reasonable price in a convenient form it highly reduces piracy. Look at the significant drop in PC game piracy caused by Steam and other reasonably priced direct download options.

Add to that the availability of each format.

Buy the DVD in the store
Or wait 1-2 months longer to rent the disk
Or wait 2-3 months longer for it to be available on streaming services

Or Pirate it a 1 or 2 weeks before it comes out on DVD

And they wonder why people pirate stuff?

Add to that the availability of each format.

Buy the DVD in the store
Or wait 1-2 months longer to rent the disk
Or wait 2-3 months longer for it to be available on streaming services

Or Pirate it a 1 or 2 weeks before it comes out on DVD

And they wonder why people pirate stuff?

It's actually even worse for kids movies. They are priced higher, and are generally less available than normal movies. Disney leads the way on this of course.

e.g., The Martian to buy is $14.99 on Amazon, Frozen is $19.99.

Things that encourage piracy:

* Unreasonable prices,

* DRM/Copy protection,

* Lack of availability.

There's a RedBox 1/4 block from my apartment. I was happy to just rent from that instead of downloading movies. I wouldn't buy online 'rentals' or downloads because they were much more expensive than a RedBox rental.

I decided to rent 5 movies for a long weekend at the studio. Our studio is full of professional gear, so we expect our shit to always work. FOUR of the five DVDs I rented would not play. They were brand new, no scratches. They couldn't play because of copy protection. The copy protection was so severe that I couldn't play them on anything we had in the studio. Not the MacPros, not the professional $5,000 reference DVD Player, not the professional kiosk playback machines, not the burner machine, nothing. I couldn't get a refund on my rental fees for the four movies I could not watch.

Thus officially ended my desire to bother with legitimate channels.

Copy protection only affects legitimate customers. When I download a torrent, I KNOW I won't have any issues playing the movie.

The industry (of which I am a part and do everything i can to discourage DRM and price gouging) needs to pull its head out of its ass and stop with the bullshit they themselves are causing that drive people to easier methods to consume entertainment.

But it also doesn't mean that it is a problem. Most studies of movie piracy show that the biggest pirates actually spend significantly MORE money on movies (theaters and discs) than people who don't pirate at all.

How much of a % would you guys guess are people who pirate it because of content/regional lock, versus being able to see it free.

We can all justify our unique experience, but when you walk in Camden NJ and someone is offering to sell you $5 bootlegs of the latest movies, and the same happens in San Fransico, Detroit, Seattle, and Atlanta...you tend to see the majority of pirates/bootleggers aren't the ones who have a justifiable reason.

Yes I'm talking from experience. I used to travel to every city in America for work. People pirate and resell shit in the inner city like crazy, and the other city too.

I'm sorry, is it expensive?

I brought my fiancee and myself to IMAX openeing night Star Wars for $30 in North Atlanta, in the area that all the football and baseball players live. How is that expensive?

Yeah I know not everyone can afford that, but Movies and Media are luxury, not needs. I want everyone and their mom to be able to consume media, but if you think about it what we pay now is stupidly cheap for what we get.

Netflix for $7.99 a month for UNLIMITED streaming. No wonder blockbuster is out of business. Netflix rases the price $1 and people flip their fucking shit out like it's the end of the world.

We consumers are spoiled shit heads, myself included, that demand the world but expect to 75% for it.

Yeah but The H8ful Eight didn't do super good, so it must be the pirates fault, they said so! I mean when an early script was released and Tarantino got all pissy and refused to make the movie until they gave him a big bag of money to do it that totally is all piracy's fault!

I like it. A lot.

If anything, this would make the case for in-home movie releases on demand. Instead of slogging through the movie theater experience, you can watch in the comfort of your own home. That's where the industry is going to go and they know it and they are kicking and screaming towards it.

Back