Piracy Means No Money To Make Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
i read in local newspaper ........movie ticket sales were up actually.......and this is during a recession.

I have no problem paying to see movies. I do however have a problem with paying to see a shitty movie. Prove to me that your movie doesn't suck, and isn't the studio milking one more out of an IP.

Your argument is bogus. Sorry. Just more pirate bullshit rationalization.

PROOVE the movien isn't shit? Patent that one and you'll be rich.

This guy is so full of shit, besides most of the movies today are garbage anyway - no great loss.:D

If they are shit why do people pirate them?

The "movies are shit, that's why I download them" argument is bullshit. If it sucks then it sucks and isn't worth getting one way or the other.

yea.... only pirates use bullshit to rationalize

cause everyone who downloaded something would have bought it..

The "movies are shit, that's why I download them" argument is bullshit. If it sucks then it sucks and isn't worth getting one way or the other.

I stopped watching movies because they are shit. I didnt start downloading them either. Hell I can't even convince my self to watch them when they are on my tv why the hell am I going to go to the trouble of downloading it?

i think the last good movies series i really enjoyed was lord of the rings. it was epic.

from the artical:
"If Sony released it only in the US on Wednesday, by late Thursday it would be camcorded, uploaded on to the internet and available free to anyone with a broadband connection. ""

SERIOUSLY??!! This is what their worried about?

Most people I know wouldn't waste the bandwidth downloading a camcorder version piece of crap.

So the studios are also thinking THIS:

Movie fans might have to wait to rent new DVD releases
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-dvd23-2009oct23,0,1148449.story

omg what a great idea, let's give the people who are most likely to download movies MORE INCENTIVE by restricting their ability to LEGALLY view them??!!

Movie studios and professional sports - - - two entertainment industries that have lost touch with the average consumer.

I have to agree with this. Proving a movie is crap is impossible. Read the reviews like everyone else and make a decision on your own.

Movie studios and professional sports - - - two entertainment industries that have lost touch with the average consumer.
Pretty much. I stopped watching pro sports years ago and am slowly losing touch with movies. I used to be a huge movie buff and now I could give a damn. Very rarely will a movie come out that I must see none the less buy.

So the studios are also thinking THIS:

Movie fans might have to wait to rent new DVD releases
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-dvd23-2009oct23,0,1148449.story

omg what a great idea, let's give the people who are most likely to download movies MORE INCENTIVE by restricting their ability to LEGALLY view them??!!

When was the last time you wanted to buy a movie? I used to try to have a large DVD collection until I realized I had about $800 worth of movies that I would almost never watch again. Then they came out with Blue Ray. And wasn't the price of DVDs supposed to drop lower than that of VHS? I don't think they have... I was younger then so I might not have an accurate account. But I thought VHS sat at about $18-$25.

Let me know

Original scripts? Nah, not likely. The Indy underground will be hitting the ground running soon...as did music. You can't keep making movie remakes, remakes, crappy-script remakes. Public doesn't like it - I don't like it.

this is THE BEST opinion on this whole thing, make quality stuff and get cash, make shit, get nothing. this is how the world should work. Although i still hold a grudge against anyone who liked transformers 2, i want $250,000 for the 2.5 hours of my life you got rid of :mad: i think that is a reasonable quote ;)

I'm sorry, why would some pay for a good movie but not a bad one if you can get EITHER for free?

I simply don't get why so many tech people make this tired old argument, "If it were cheaper/better people would be willing to pay." That's just flat out not true. Especially in parts of the world like China where no matter what, they're going to steal and sell WELL below cost.

Maybe Sony is overstating the case, but overtime I GUARANTEE your going to see ads in movies and what to make up revenue.

People who are going to steal are going to. The ONLY price they are willing to pay no matter what is ZERO!

I'm sorry, why would some pay for a good movie but not a bad one if you can get EITHER for free?

Maybe Sony is overstating the case, but overtime I GUARANTEE your going to see ads in movies and what to make up revenue.

Last movie I saw I spent 15 - 20 minutes watching advertisements (not just for movies) and this was after the 10 - 15 minutes of advertising while waiting for the movie to begin.

People who are going to steal are going to. The ONLY price they are willing to pay no matter what is ZERO!

This is absolutely and completely untrue. There are millions of people who both pirate and purchase, they are not mutually exclusive. Stop throwing around bogus "facts".

Wait wait wait:

You make a movie, and the movie is either good or bad.

If bad: You spent $150 million to make the movie and gross $30 million world wide. Your executives skim off $1 million a person from the gross to buy their daughters new cars to replace the ones they crashed, and to punish them they get a new Mercedes instead of a new Ferrari. You then pass along $150 million in net loss, pay nothing to everyone who worked on a commission to the film, and expect your shareholders to absorb the loss. You blame piracy when people come knocking on your door asking where the hell their money is.

If good: You spent $50,000 to make the movie and gross $250 million world wide. The executives skim off $10 million each to pay for exclusive weekend parties for A-listers who didn't act in your film and throw the rest on an exotic 2-month long vacation down to a private island in the Caribbean and into a private Swiss bank account. You then pay a measly salary to anyone who actually worked on the film, use the rest to pay off your bad films that lost you money and throw into the corporate Swiss bank account. You blame piracy for not having the film gross $500 million because if the film did gross $500 million, you'd be able to pay everyone appropriately.

In the meantime, film makers realize they're enslaved to the system because if they don't sign to the studios, not only will they not be able to afford equipment, actors, and staff, but their film won't gross crap because only the big name studios can push your film to a large number of screens and get your film properly marketed.

Sounds like a pretty cool system! /sarcasm

ahem.

LAgug0NC.jpeg

When was the last time you wanted to buy a movie? I used to try to have a large DVD collection until I realized I had about $800 worth of movies that I would almost never watch again. Then they came out with Blue Ray. And wasn't the price of DVDs supposed to drop lower than that of VHS? I don't think they have... I was younger then so I might not have an accurate account. But I thought VHS sat at about $18-$25.

Let me know

Actually a few days ago I bought Transformers 2, but I'll acknowledge I'm old school about that stuff. I like to OWN things. I buy books too. Got stacks of the things and they suffer a similar fate as you mentioned, many I will not read again. I too refuse to buy a $25 Blu-ray. $10 and you've got a deal I'll toss in my cart at the checkout. But I'll acknowledge the shift going on here. Why buy when you can rent via download anytime you have the whim? THATS where they're missing the bus. Immediate gratification of the consumer and they're fighting it all the way

That is right you go pay $10 for every lousy plot hole infested and poorly acted movie out there, or you won't get any new ones made.

1. Perhaps they don't.
2. How does one know it's shit without seeing it? Granted, the trailer may give it away.

Couldn't agree more.

The Entertainment industry isnt about entertaining anymore. Its about getting famous, getting rich, and then pumping out a bunch of crap to sustain that life style.

Pro Sports.. dont even get me started. I love college sports. You can see the passion they have.. Once they get to the pro's its all gone.. Its all about money then. No one, and i mean no one is worth 7 figures for what they can do with a ball. Much less 9 figures that seems all too common now.

Also,
Home Theater PCs are still left out in the cold when it comes to Amazon on demand HD movies:

You can watch high-definition movies from Amazon Video On Demand on your television through compatible devices including: Panasonic VIERA Cast-enabled TVs, the Roku Digital Video Player, TiVo Series3, HD, and HD XL DVRs, and the Sony Bravia Internet Video Link. (HD movies are not currently available for viewing on your computer.)

I can rent any movie I want from Amazon on demand but I can't watch an HD movie unless I buy a proprietary set top box like Roku, TiVo Series3, or buy a Sony Bravia Tv...

I heard Sony is estimating 600+ million dollars for MJ death in the form of the This is it documentary.

NONE of it is going to his children

I don't know where you guys get your misconceptions from but take a look at the Sony shareholders report 2009, financials sections, page 36.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/ar/8ido180000023hx1-att/SonyAR09-07.pdf

Sony Pictures made only $325 Million on $7.8 Billion revenue(only about 4%).

Bottomline...yes because of a lower return on investment due to piracy they do not have unlimited funds to spend producing movies.

Pirates can keep complaining about how the movies are crappy and that is why they pirate them because that logic is so infalible.

Can we make a distinction between people who are pirating the movie and people who just aren't watching/buying it because the movies are garbage? I'm sure the pirates account for some portion of lost revenue, but surely they can't lump the pirates into the same group of people who just weren't interested in the movie? They seem to make no distinction.

I heard Sony is estimating 600+ million dollars for MJ death in the form of the This is it documentary.

NONE of it is going to his children

Hello? Newsflash, MJs estate owes hundreds of millions to Sony as they were financing MJs crazy lifestyle. Sony paid $60 million for the AEG footage rights. Shouldn't AEG be the evil one not sharing that money with the children?

I hate Sony myself and will never buy another Sony product if I can help it but you guys preconceptions are so out of whack. Hate Sony for the right reasons.

I don't know where you guys get your misconceptions from but take a look at the Sony shareholders report 2009, financials sections, page 36.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/ar/8ido180000023hx1-att/SonyAR09-07.pdf

Bottomline...yes because of a lower return on investment due to piracy they do not have unlimited funds to spend producing movies.

Pirates can keep complaining about how the movies are crappy and that is why they pirate them because that logic is so infalible.

So they made 4% profit......umm, isn't that good in today's economy? :rolleyes:

When all countries have a connection bandwidth of 10/10 as minimum for "broadband" for 80% of the population in every home.
They can start using the sales method spotify is based on, that might work very well.

Its yet to be seen, im using spotify just because:
1. its same price as 1!!!! album. if you go premium.
2. It has OGG 320kbit (far far better than mp3 320, is like 640 more/less)
3. almost any song i wanna listen to, instantly, support for symbian, androide, iphone/ipod touch.
4. Its easy to share playlists, isnt bound to one device, i can go anywhere i want, install spotify and login, voila i can listen to all the tracks, i have in my playlist.

Your post is FUD. Can you prove to me that people who pirated the movie would have otherwise bought it?

Can you prove their return on investment is solely because of piracy and not because of other factors such as people not wanting to goto the movies, a poor economy where people have less disposible income, or people's tastes shifting to other forms of entertainment?

P.S.

Only $325 million.... Wish I only had $325 million left at the end of the year after paying all my expensises, including a salary to myself that I'm not counting in that $325 million.... Ya pooor them

This is absolutely and completely untrue. There are millions of people who both pirate and purchase, they are not mutually exclusive. Stop throwing around bogus "facts".

I never said that some people don't do both. What I said that some people are going to STEAL period. That IS a fact. And remember, a lot of these people are stealing for PROFIT!

And don't tell me that you don't know people that pirate EVERYTHING.

If a service like that, streaming for 9.99 a month, people might go: omfg dling is so bothersome, but we need connection speeds for that.
20% of norway and sweeden can take streaming of 720P like NOW.
Japan, South Korea can take use of 720 P Today, and 1080P about next year.

sony should really try out that stuff in japan, and see if they can make the market model work, or get another service to do it, there is plenty of them going on in scandinavia nowdays, its the "big thing" around here now, but limited and expanding to one country at the time.

When it goes overseas you guys will understand i guess :)
I have been sceptical, but its like the 2nd step towards cloud computing.

Hello JUSTJOEL73, that report will be a better work of fiction than many of Todays movies. Seeing as you seem to have a penchant for links and reading fill your boots

Your post is FUD. Can you prove to me that people who pirated the movie would have otherwise bought it?

Can you prove to me that a person who STOLE a movie would pay ANYTHING for it? With all things being equal if a person has a choice to pay something vs nothing, no matter the price a lot of people are going to pay ZERO.

The real question is is that number on the rise? Maybe not, but it's a fact that a lot of people are pirating for money, that's RAMPANT.

I never said that some people don't do both. What I said that some people are going to STEAL period. That IS a fact. And remember, a lot of these people are stealing for PROFIT!

And don't tell me that you don't know people that pirate EVERYTHING.

And don't tell me that every MPAA and RIAA member hasn't abused their monopoly power over the past few decades to gouge customers and or deny artists their fair share of the pie.

Can you prove to me that a person who STOLE a movie would pay ANYTHING for it? With all things being equal if a person has a choice to pay something vs nothing, no matter the price a lot of people are going to pay ZERO.

The real question is is that number on the rise? Maybe not, but it's a fact that a lot of people are pirating for money, that's RAMPANT.

I don't think that first 'sentence' is even a sentence.

Piracy is theft, plain and simple. If some are too lazy and/or dumb to read reviews and then go and pay $12 to watch a movie and are unhappy, it is their fault. It does not entitle anyone to download the intellectual property of a company because "the movie sucks."

It would be like, "man I hate fuggin Snickers bars" and then walking out of the store with two in your pocket without paying. You would expect to be arrested for theft. Same thing here...

First to reply to your other post. I don't know anyone who pirates everything. My friends collections range in the amount of legal content, but ALL of them have at least some legal media.

And no, I can't prove to you that the person who stole a movie wouldn't buy it if it were the only option. However, Sony is using the assumption that if piracy didn't exist everyone would pay. They are using that false assumption to spread doubt about their industry.

Cause we all know you need lots of money, to make a good movie. You know like Clerks or Clerks 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back