Piracy Means No Money To Make Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Hollywood: STOP MAKING REMAKES!!! You have writers - use them to make new original movies!

Heh. I don't know of any actor who's making a hundred million per film, let alone hundreds of millions. There are some who may get close to $100M in the span of a year and multiple productions, but not for one film.

Enviousness is really not an appealing quality. Consider focusing your feelings of envy into something that's actually productive :)
Why do you feel the need to be a douche in every thread you post in?

Last time I went to see "cloudy with a chance of meatballs" - decent - I paid $40 for two tickets a large popcorn and two cokes... expected. The kicker was that the movie theater now only allows ONE *free* refill on the popcorn and cokes. What a rip off - not that I ever really need it, but why bother.

I realize that there is a very low margin on the popcorn and soda...

Really?

I'm very hesitant to see movies in the theater based on this.

TBH, I didn't think GI Joe was as bad as being made out in this thread. Transformers2 was MUCH worse. That really was a turkey, fit only to be watched by under 13s. In fact, I'm doing under 13s a dis-service by suggesting that Transformers2 is good for them. Perhaps Under 10's are more appropriate. Seldom have a seen a film so bad.

The strange thing is that movie companies tend to spend most of their money on special fx laden movies like GI Joe or Transformers2, when the storylines of these movies are rushed and weak and tend to be bad. The better movies, tend to have less money spent on them, as they concentrate on a stronger storyline.

Don't get me wrong, I love special FX. I loved The Abyss, Terminator2, Iron Man, The Matrix, etc, but movies like Transformers2 are just a waste of money. Had Transformers2 not had any CGI in it, using storyline alone, to drive the movie, the movie would simply have Shia Labeouf and Megan Fox, sitting in an empty room, staring into thin air. And from time to time, they would shut their eyes or maybe change seating position. This would last for 2.5hours, after which, the credits would roll.

wow sony talking alot of shit........this past year or so lol. i dont believe it for a second. i also agree it was a lame summer....nothing i can see grabbed me to go see it. i never go to the movies at night to expensive and can only handle so many times paying 4 dollars for a coke.

Well Hollywood: STOP MAKING REMAKES!!! You have writers - use them to make new original movies!
Agreed. Make something good and I'll pay for it. Give it to me in a format that I want and I'll pay for it.

I pay monthly fees for the service I get them from on the net. Sony may see that as pirating but I'd be more than willing to give it to them if they'd keep up with technology rather than fighting it and offer people the delivery methods they want.

Remakes can be pretty profitable though, particularly those in the low-budget horror genre we've been flooded with incessantly in the past several years.

Why do you feel the need to be a douche in every thread you post in?
I'm an asshole, not a douche. In my book, there's a fairly large distinction between the two.

Sorry sony. I won't even use the argument that pirates are not potential customers.

There is only so much money in people's budgets for entertainment. Movies increasingly cost more, as more things compete for that entertainment dollar. Even without other forms of entertainment, you keep trying to cram more and more movies into the schedule each year. You are cannibalizing your own profit.

Make less movies.

Make better movies.

Stop paying for "stars." Not one of the top paid stars of any given year are on my list of actors I think regularly turn in compelling performances. Even the good actors aren't a guarantee of a good performance or to make a movie work. No actor is worth $20 million plus unless you are trying to preserve a franchise making you hundreds of million in profit per picture.

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of Rum!

if I am prejudiced against one thing it's whiny rich people.

Wait does this mean they will only have money to make good movies and the shit will stop? Dear god I'm going to START pirating then.

Doesn't this part seem contradictory to anybody else?

Quote: "I understand that a few long-established screen stars don’t want to be seen “dissing” a young and vocal minority of their fan base by speaking out against piracy; but they are not being compassionate to those talented artists who want to follow in their footsteps."

How can you say pirates are a 'vocal minority' and yet try to claim piracy is so rampant you can't afford to make movies anymore - all in the same article from the same guy?

TBH, I didn't think GI Joe was as bad as being made out in this thread. Transformers2 was MUCH worse. That really was a turkey, fit only to be watched by under 13s. In fact, I'm doing under 13s a dis-service by suggesting that Transformers2 is good for them. Perhaps Under 10's are more appropriate. Seldom have a seen a film so bad.

The strange thing is that movie companies tend to spend most of their money on special fx laden movies like GI Joe or Transformers2, when the storylines of these movies are rushed and weak and tend to be bad. The better movies, tend to have less money spent on them, as they concentrate on a stronger storyline.

Don't get me wrong, I love special FX. I loved The Abyss, Terminator2, Iron Man, The Matrix, etc, but movies like Transformers2 are just a waste of money. Had Transformers2 not had any CGI in it, using storyline alone, to drive the movie, the movie would simply have Shia Labeouf and Megan Fox, sitting in an empty room, staring into thin air. And from time to time, they would shut their eyes or maybe change seating position. This would last for 2.5hours, after which, the credits would roll.

And that still would have been a better movie. I don't know what is with people attacking summer films like G. I. Joe. They are what they are. People don't go to see them for deep stories or even great acting. They want to see fast action, special effects, and simply be entrained for 90 minutes or so. I love practical effects, but its not worth complaining over that in a brainless summer flick. Transformer's issue was that it was too long with too many stupid jokes. If they cut out all the sex shit the movie would lose at least half an hour.

Good point there are some decent movies that have been released in the past few years. Iron man especially! Lately though they try to appeal to all audiences.

For instance in Transformers 1 they had the gov't guy who was a complete tool and took away from the serious plot of the movie. I'm sure they put him in there to appeal to younger kids.

In GI Joe they made it a multi national coalition to appeal to other countries so they could increase profits (It was the beginning of their problems, not nearly their biggest)

The best movies I've seen lately are "Sunshine Cleaning" and "The Hangover" other than that I tend to just watch TV or rewatch older movies... Let's be honest though, I should really be reading a book though.

Wait does this mean they will only have money to make good movies and the shit will stop? Dear god I'm going to START pirating then.

Sadly, no. It means they won't have money to make good movies and only make ones that make hundreds of millions of dollars. So instead of the summer blockbuster films, we'd be seeing those all year 'round.

Good point there are some decent movies that have been released in the past few years. Iron man especially! Lately though they try to appeal to all audiences.

For instance in Transformers 1 they had the gov't guy who was a complete tool and took away from the serious plot of the movie. I'm sure they put him in there to appeal to younger kids.

In GI Joe they made it a multi national coalition to appeal to other countries so they could increase profits (It was the beginning of their problems, not nearly their biggest)

The best movies I've seen lately are "Sunshine Cleaning" and "The Hangover" other than that I tend to just watch TV or rewatch older movies... Let's be honest though, I should really be reading a book though.

GI Joe and Transformers 1 weren't "good" movies, but they are at least fun to watch. I don't roll my eyes and groan while watching them like the effect TF2 has on me. And no the groaning has nothing to do with Megan Fox either, her lack of acting ability makes her completely unattractive to me because I can't stand watching her.

When ever Sony has headlines like this "Sony admits antitrust investigation " having to do with why the price of Blu-ray is not coming down after monopolizing the market and their past history of price fixing, Sony plays the sympathy card.

I realize that there is a very low margin on the popcorn and soda...

That local bar I go to that doesn't have buying power on behalf of a national chain of locations must be losing money on every glass of soda they sell me!

hahaha

if I don't wanna pay the money to see the movie, they're not getting any money from me. So how do they lose money they never would have received? :confused:

stupid stupid stupid.

Exactly. Same as RIAA's claim. What they fail to account for is that the sales aren't there to begin with. Via piracy, at least the potential interest for a DVD purchase or sequel is grown.

Making crap movies that no one wants to view also means they won’t have the money to make any (crap) movies. There's a problem that solves itself.

And if the pirates keep it up, the executives at Sony won't be able to afford their gold-plated shark statues either.

I have talked to people in the industry... People make 200,000/year serving coffee on film sets.

Chalk hollywood up to another industry that has been RUINED by the unions... Piracy has nothing to do with it.

Suggestion: Try making better movies or paying the Stars or corporate big-wigs less.

Most the movies they are making nowdays are not even worth the time to download, let alone pay $15 for a ticket or DVD.

Movies have gotten so bad I have trouble keeping my Netflix queue full :(

part of the problem also is..........some directors and actors wont even look at the script unless they know.............they are going to get xxxx amount dollars. then you figure in sonys cut of the profit.....etc. what happened to the day when actors wanted to do the movie because it was a good script........and not how much im gonna get paid to do it.

I can only hope this means no more movies from the major film companies...

come on pirates work fucking harder there are still movies coming out of hollywood!

I guess I need to start finding linux distros again. I haven't updated in a while.

Transformers 2 - why exactly did they feel the need to inject the ghetto bots in there? Whose asshat idea was that? Also why did the small 'RC' truck bot talk like Joe Pesci?

What a joke.

Making crap movies that no one wants to view also means they won’t have the money to make any (crap) movies. There's a problem that solves itself.

Lol. You beat me to the punch.

Fuck the RIAA, MPAA, and all the corporate bigwigs crying about piracy all the time. The executives are worried about their enormous paychecks, nothing more.

The entertainment industry is so bad right now with the shitty quality of music and movies being churned out they deserve what they get.

Besides, as quoted above, maybe if the amount of shit music and shitty remake movies continues to increase, the piracy will stop because people won't want to pirate shitty movies anyway.

This is how I see it:
The first reason for those who pirate movies or music is because of costs.
A Bluray movie disc is between $20 to $35 depending where you buy it and what is included with it. DVD movie disc is between $10 (some old movie or bad movie) to $25 depending on extras. Music CDs are about $10 to $25 per disc depending on extras and artists, when in some cases many will not like every single track on the CD.

I used to buy CDs, but when they started going over $15 and pushing $20 per CD I gave up trying to keep up. I only buy CDs now for artists I'm loyally devoted to because the music the artists make are worth the cost of buying their CD. Everything else, I go to iTunes and pick what track I want to get (unless they're blocked out where you have to buy the entire CD). And, even then, they're actually less than what you pay for in the "brick-and-mortar" stores.

It's why iTunes Music Store and Zune Marketplace works.

Another reason is this:
The movie looks like a rental, or it's so bad it's not worth the $10 to $15 for the movie ticket.
If you are paying $5 or $6 to rent a movie from something like Blockbuster or Hollywood video, or pay $8.99 a month (one DVD per month plan) for Netflix, it's actually cheaper than going to the theatre. However, you have to wait half a year at least for the movie to reach them. Lower the ticket prices to seeing a movie and maybe more people will start coming to the theatres again. I don't get why 5 adult tickets will have to cost me $50 to $65. It's highway robbery.

And, those that don't want to wait that long turn to the Internet-- R5 line recordings of films; DVD screeners; "cam vids"; and TS recordings are common words among pirates. And, the people I know who turn to pirating a film after the leak has been released on the Internet say it's because the movie isn't worth going to watch and spend money on. Plus, some extras in Bluray/DVD movies aren't worth paying for and just add to the costs of the disc itself.

So, that tells me: Are movie studios making any more GOOD, QUALITY films worth paying for?

Hollywood's "golden age" is gone. It's all about hype, million dollar deals, big budgets, big explosions and campy, poor acting. It is in all that, a few movies actually deserve the $10 I would pay for a movie ticket. And, it is these movies that are worth an Oscar or Golden Globe. However, they are also the movies that many times will not be a box-office splendor.

For the past months since May, there were not many movies worth watching or spending my money on. I only watched Up, Taken, Angels and Demons, Star Trek (2009), Terminator Salvation and Paranormal Activity since June. I am planning to watch Zombieland within the week.

I didn't bother watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen seeing how disappointing the first one was. The first Saw film was better than the repeated sequels. Everything else were only worth renting when they came out: The Hangover, The Proposal, The Uninvited.

Here's the tip for Hollywood: Start making good movies worth watching, with a quality story (even if it is an action film or comedy) and worth paying the $10 to $15 per movie ticket.
Stop with the lousy anime/cartoon adaptations to live action and ruining a good anime/cartoon franchise. (GI Joe and Transformers are a good example.)

Stop with the campy, lousy acting and over-used special effects that it distracts from the story itself.

Stop charging your moviegoers every dime and nickel they pay for a movie ticket at the theatre.

Stop with over-pricing Bluray and DVD discs.
Follow this and maybe, just maybe, there will be something worth watching in the theatres again.

i bet you would be amazed how many pirate even shitty stuff!!! lol. if they can get it for free shitty or not they are gonna do it lol.

Lets all assume that the MPAA and RIAA succeed and piracy is stomped out, bittorrent is make illegal, and copying devices banned (I'm guessing that is their dream).

Who they blame next when the shitty sales continue?

its the movie go'ers not buying enough over priced snacks at the counter..........we are not gonna make enough profit to make any more movies!!! <translation.......i wont be able to build the worlds biggest private yacht>

Sony is just jealous that Fox can actually make blockbusters without spending most of their budget trying to convince people that their garbage is actually worth seeing.

Fox's Searchlight studios is a prime example of how the movie business should work. Last year alone, they pushed out 2 Academy Award worthy movies on a tiny (compared to other movies) budget; The Wrestler and Slumdog Millionaire ended up being huge. Take into account Fox's FX shows like Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Sons of Anarachy which feature a lot of unpopular and previously undiscovered talent and you can see that it's not piracy that's the problem.

Another thing is with the music industry:
Start making good music again.

Hell! I don't even listen to the radio anymore. So many bad songs lately. I mostly listen to music tracks I bought off iTunes Music Store and burned them to CD to listen to in the car.

So many bad music artists and bands that it's really disappointing to me since I love to listen to music whenever I'm on the road. They almost all sound alike. So much sweets but no flavor in any of them. And, that applies to a lot of the pop music you would hear on the radio. Good Country music isn't what it used to be. Good Rock and Alternative isn't what it used to be. GOOD rap music (and I don't like rap) isn't what it used to be when Tupac and many other good rappers disappeared. I stopped listening to them when rap and hip-hop became more about sex, drugs, and money in their songs. Good R&B are probably coming from as far back as the 1970s. And, that to me, tells me that the R&B nowadays is just bad.

I don't have a favorite radio station nowadays. If I can stream Internet radio stations like Acoustic Alternative in my car, that'll be great. But, until then, I'm turning to iTunes just to find individual tracks and burning them to CD.

Lets all assume that the MPAA and RIAA succeed and piracy is stomped out, bittorrent is make illegal, and copying devices banned (I'm guessing that is their dream).

Who they blame next when the shitty sales continue?

Bad sales? I've read the industry's revenue is HIGHER this year than it was last year. Sales aren't bad.

This is how I see it:
The first reason for those who pirate movies or music is because of costs.
A Bluray movie disc is between $20 to $35 depending where you buy it and what is included with it. DVD movie disc is between $10 (some old movie or bad movie) to $25 depending on extras. Music CDs are about $10 to $25 per disc depending on extras and artists, when in some cases many will not like every single track on the CD.

I used to buy CDs, but when they started going over $15 and pushing $20 per CD I gave up trying to keep up. I only buy CDs now for artists I'm loyally devoted to because the music the artists make are worth the cost of buying their CD. Everything else, I go to iTunes and pick what track I want to get (unless they're blocked out where you have to buy the entire CD). And, even then, they're actually less than what you pay for in the "brick-and-mortar" stores.

It's why iTunes Music Store and Zune Marketplace works.

Another reason is this:
The movie looks like a rental, or it's so bad it's not worth the $10 to $15 for the movie ticket.
If you are paying $5 or $6 to rent a movie from something like Blockbuster or Hollywood video, or pay $8.99 a month (one DVD per month plan) for Netflix, it's actually cheaper than going to the theatre. However, you have to wait half a year at least for the movie to reach them. Lower the ticket prices to seeing a movie and maybe more people will start coming to the theatres again. I don't get why 5 adult tickets will have to cost me $50 to $65. It's highway robbery.

And, those that don't want to wait that long turn to the Internet-- R5 line recordings of films; DVD screeners; "cam vids"; and TS recordings are common words among pirates. And, the people I know who turn to pirating a film after the leak has been released on the Internet say it's because the movie isn't worth going to watch and spend money on. Plus, some extras in Bluray/DVD movies aren't worth paying for and just add to the costs of the disc itself.

So, that tells me: Are movie studios making any more GOOD, QUALITY films worth paying for?

Hollywood's "golden age" is gone. It's all about hype, million dollar deals, big budgets, big explosions and campy, poor acting. It is in all that, a few movies actually deserve the $10 I would pay for a movie ticket. And, it is these movies that are worth an Oscar or Golden Globe. However, they are also the movies that many times will not be a box-office splendor.

For the past months since May, there were not many movies worth watching or spending my money on. I only watched Up, Taken, Angels and Demons, Star Trek (2009), Terminator Salvation and Paranormal Activity since June. I am planning to watch Zombieland within the week.

I didn't bother watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen seeing how disappointing the first one was. The first Saw film was better than the repeated sequels. Everything else were only worth renting when they came out: The Hangover, The Proposal, The Uninvited.

Here's the tip for Hollywood: Start making good movies worth watching, with a quality story (even if it is an action film or comedy) and worth paying the $10 to $15 per movie ticket.
Stop with the lousy anime/cartoon adaptations to live action and ruining a good anime/cartoon franchise. (GI Joe and Transformers are a good example.)

Stop with the campy, lousy acting and over-used special effects that it distracts from the story itself.

Stop charging your moviegoers every dime and nickel they pay for a movie ticket at the theatre.

Stop with over-pricing Bluray and DVD discs.
Follow this and maybe, just maybe, there will be something worth watching in the theatres again.

this is THE BEST opinion on this whole thing, make quality stuff and get cash, make shit, get nothing. this is how the world should work. Although i still hold a grudge against anyone who liked transformers 2, i want $250,000 for the 2.5 hours of my life you got rid of :mad: i think that is a reasonable quote ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back