Pioneer Elite VSX-90 @ Best Buy DoTD for $399

Argh, I can't figure it out. So the VSX-90 apparently was not initially HDCP 2.2 compliant, which meant you can't watch protected 4K content. But the website shows that it was updated at some point... what I don't know is if this particular SKU is old stock or new stock that is compliant. Da fug...

Edit: Well, its a great deal, so I bit and will pick up later today and verify if its the latest and greatest. :)

Last edited:
It would be an instant buy if it had DTS-X but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on an Atmos only receiver.

It would be an instant buy if it had DTS-X but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on an Atmos only receiver.

That's my thought as well. I'm not taking advantage of Atmos yet.

Plus, some sites say HDCP 2.2, some don't. Pioneer's own site doesn't mention it. If it was a firmware update, great, but I can't find info on it one way or the other.

I was @ BB yesterday & picked-up the Pioneer VSX-830K ($249.99) That's a damn fine deal. Maybe I'll return my 830 & pick-up the VSX-90 The reviews for the budget 830 are pretty solid. It's still in the box. OP thanks for letting us know.

Pioneer VSX-830-K

That's my thought as well. I'm not taking advantage of Atmos yet.

Plus, some sites say HDCP 2.2, some don't. Pioneer's own site doesn't mention it. If it was a firmware update, great, but I can't find info on it one way or the other.
Picked it up, confirmed HDCP 2.2 compliant.

Last edited:
This is not class D receiver (like their higher end models). Although, the benefit of class D is dubious, as Pioneer still put electronics into that behemoth enclosure.

I'm going 7.1-7.2 setup myself, building new and fresh, so this is a good fit, thats why I jumped on it.

Arrives tomorrow :)

I have done zero tuning or even reading up yet, but is it just me or do you really have to crank the volume setting up high?

I broke down and bought the Yamaha RX-A1050. After doing enough reading on AVSForum to make my eyes bleed this seems like the best choice for the money. Good, clean power, all the features I want.

The Pioneers just lack the umph I want to drive my speakers.

I broke down and bought the Yamaha RX-A1050. After doing enough reading on AVSForum to make my eyes bleed this seems like the best choice for the money. Good, clean power, all the features I want.

The Pioneers just lack the umph I want to drive my speakers.

Get a Krell Amp, lol. this is my cousins setup and I asked him how much it costs, around $70,000. :eek: To me that is pure insanity.
krell stereo.jpg

I presume you mean 70,000 yen. The ghetto wiring laying on the floor surely wouldn't happen with anyone dropping $70K in USD :eek:

Ya, I am not fond of the wiring either, it's $70K USD, and he just bought these funky new speaker wires. They have like boxes near the end of the wire near the speaker.
They look like 0 gauge wire, or wire with really thick shielding.

speaker 3.jpg

Buys 70,000 in stereo equipment.

Lives in 12,000 trailer with rotted out floorboards :p

Reactions: UMASS
like this
Buys 70,000 in stereo equipment.

Lives in 12,000 trailer with rotted out floorboards :p

My cousin lives in Iceland, and when I lived there many years ago, I don't recall seeing any trailer or mobile homes there.
Most people live in apartments.

As was mentioned above this isn't in the same class as the D3 receivers. Pioneer/Onkyo just put an "Elite" badge on a VSX. Not knocking it as it is a pretty decent deal.

Ya, I am not fond of the wiring either, it's $70K USD, and he just bought these funky new speaker wires. They have like boxes near the end of the wire near the speaker.
They look like 0 gauge wire, or wire with really thick shielding.

A person who thinks they're going to notice such nuances in an untreated room like that is cray cray

VSX 90 is a great receiver, but unless you plan on using those extra channels, or that cool zone'ing capability I'd rather wait for the 830 k to hit $250 again.

Well, one nice thing it has which not all do, is very easy dual output with 3D passthrough goodness.

I have a 50" TV for daytime viewing very thin and flush on the wall, and a projector screen that automatically lowers over it for viewing in the evening, and its nice that no external switching device is needed and it handles everything automatically.

I'm hoping 4K projectors come down in price soon, as that would really take full advantage.
A person who thinks they're going to notice such nuances in an untreated room like that is cray cray
Yeah, I could understand if this was in some guy's mansion reading room, where everything is acoustically tuned and the guy has enough money that $70K is nothing... but this looks like $70K of gear in possibly a $70K house. *shakes head*

So not trying to thread jack here, as my question is at least tangentially related to the receiver linked. I've been looking to get a new receiver recently, but it's been several years since I really kept up with all the technology. I had a Yamaha rx-V667, this model here: Amazon.com: Yamaha RX-V667 7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver (OLD VERSION) (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Electronics

How does this pioneer compare? I know of course any new receiver is going to have better video capabilities like 4k, etc, since that wasn't out when I first got the V667. But just more curious in terms of power/clarity/amp/etc. Basically everything besides video, which I assume will be better all around unless I just went with the cheapest solution. If I remember correctly, the 667 was one of Yamaha's midrange offerings. I know it was a few steps up from entry level, but I know there were nicer models when I bought it.

I'm partial to Denon or Yamaha, but if the specs and quality are on-par, I'm open to other brands like this Pioneer.

Also, could anyone tell me what Yamaha would be in the price and/or quality range of this Pioneer? Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Also, could anyone tell me what Yamaha would be in the price and/or quality range of this Pioneer? Thanks.

I'd say the closest match Yamaha features wise would be the RX-V679, to get in at that price point < $400 you'd have to fall back to last years model the RX-V677

Back