Pink Floyd Wins EMI Court Battle

HardOCP News

[H] News
Pink Floyd won its battle with EMI over royalties for online music sales and the unbundling of its albums.

"Pink Floyd have won a High Court battle to stop their record label EMI selling individual songs online. The rock legends, signed to EMI since 1967, said their contract meant their albums could not be split up without their permission.

Reason #9234512 why Pink Floyd rocks [H]ardcore.

Tell 'em where to shove it, Gilmour!

I'm glad most of Pink Floyd is still alive and kicking.

I saw Roger Waters in concert 2 years ago in Detroit Piston stadium at the Palace of Auburn Hills. He was doing a Dark Side of the Moon revival. It was so awesome.

I also saw Gilmour's Pink Floyd play Delicate Sound of Thunder and Division Bells in Soldier Field, Chicago Bears stadium.

They don't seem to show any signs of slowing down yet. :)

Good for Pink Floyd.

I really disliked them when I was young, because they kept replaying the same old floyd songs on the radio. And that's all a knew.

When I finally acquired their full catalog, I found their music truly shines--Both from a musicianship standpoint and a conceptual standpoint. It's amongst the best. Truly original.

Well, it kinda sucks but you're supposed to listen to a Pink Floyd album or any GOOD album in it's entirely, from front to back. Remember when you had to do that? With like, those pieces of vinyl with the ridges?

Who would ever buy a single Pink Floyd song, you listen to the entire fucking album, you don't just cut out a tiny piece of it.

I saw Roger Waters in concert 2 years ago in Detroit Piston stadium at the Palace of Auburn Hills. He was doing a Dark Side of the Moon revival. It was so awesome.

I also saw Gilmour's Pink Floyd play Delicate Sound of Thunder and Division Bells in Soldier Field, Chicago Bears stadium.

They don't seem to show any signs of slowing down yet. :)

OK, I'm green now!!! I never could because Rich died. I wrote an obituary to him on Facebook.

Have you watch Live on Gdansk Poland by Dave?
That is the point.

Good for Pink Floyd.

I really disliked them when I was young, because they kept replaying the same old floyd songs on the radio. And that's all a knew.

i do everything i can to NOT listen to fm radio because of this. the damn record labels force the same limited crap down our ears and it absolutely ruins the intended experience of the songs.

luckily, internet radio is starting to take over. chronix radio .com is by far and away the best rock stations there has ever been on earth. the metal and agressive are fantastic! the grit channel is more like an fm channel...

You'd think the record company would understand, after all this time, the only way to listen to a Pink Floyd album... At least they were taught.

Interesting vote option for the greatest concept Album. I honestly can think of 2 or 3 other album I personally consider to be better as concept albums probably gonna get flamed for this.

Peter Gabriel "US"
Peter Gabriel "Last temptation of Christ"
Nine Inch Nails "Downward Spiral"
Nine Inch Nails "Fragile"

Not saying theyre better albums, but when I think concept albums those are some of my preferred choices.

Well, it kinda sucks but you're supposed to listen to a Pink Floyd album or any GOOD album in it's entirely, from front to back. Remember when you had to do that? With like, those pieces of vinyl with the ridges?

Or albums in general. The concept of an album being a cohesive whole is pretty much a lost art by now. A friend of mine recorded an album and when he gave me a CDR of the mixdown and asked me for what I could tell him might need tweaking...

I listened to the CD and aside from the technical aspects of it, I suggested a track swap. 5th track for the 10th one. He told me that the track was intended to be there because that's when you'd "flip it over."

I had completely lost the concept of flipping the record over. A track that prepares you for the transition and reminds you you're nearing the end of side one. When he pointed that out, it made sense why the track order was the way it was.

I miss when albums were albums. A collection of tracks that work as a whole. Not a collection of tracks that have 3 or 4 good "standouts" with everything else being drudgery.

i agree. thats what made mudvayne's LD50 so awesome, it had been awhile since a metal band made a real "album" (hell last i can remember was pantera's great southern trendkill) but its already been about a decade since ld50 and it really is rare to see a complete masterpiece anymore.

ok EMI has just made my retarded list-

from bbc article-

Elizabeth Jones QC, appearing for EMI, disagreed and said the word "record" in the band's contract "plainly applies to the physical thing - there is nothing to suggest it applies to online distribution".

i know thats just one employee, but EMI is trash now. they clearly think they actually do 'own' pink floyds music and can do with it as they please. well, they used to think that!:D

Exactly who buys one song off a Floyd album, they are meant to be listened to as a whole :)

Good for them!

ok EMI has just made my retarded list-

from bbc article-

i know thats just one employee, but EMI is trash now. they clearly think they actually do 'own' pink floyds music and can do with it as they please. well, they used to think that!:D

Then we can quote EMI when RIAA takes us to court for music piracy because we're only downloading digital music. We haven't bought physical media. Right? ;-)

Then we can quote EMI when RIAA takes us to court for music piracy because we're only downloading digital music. We haven't bought physical media. Right? ;-)

shhhhh. any attempt to point out riaa's own hypocrisy will result in death.

Interesting vote option for the greatest concept Album. I honestly can think of 2 or 3 other album I personally consider to be better as concept albums probably gonna get flamed for this.

Peter Gabriel "US"
Peter Gabriel "Last temptation of Christ"
Nine Inch Nails "Downward Spiral"
Nine Inch Nails "Fragile"

Not saying theyre better albums, but when I think concept albums those are some of my preferred choices.

Concept Albums to add:

Queen - A Night at the Opera
Dire Straits - Brother's in Arms
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Metallica - Black Album

Always helps to hear it in High Def, i.e. SACD or DVD-A

awesome... I've actually got a pink floyd shirt on right now, what a coincidence.

This makes me happy. Record companies do suck.

Good for Pink Floyd! Musicians should have more rights with their own music!!!

Tommy! I never laughed so hard in my life. That movie hurt my chest laughs and made me roll off the couch a few times. I love The Who. These days it's comeback for all the old guys.

Pink Floyd FTW!!! I had the pleasure of seeing them in 1994 at Mile High Stadium in Denver...what a show!!!

I just have to say, wow!

Earlier this week, Robert Howe QC, appearing for the group, said the the band's deal with EMI stipulated that their "seamless" albums should not be split up and that they "wanted to retain artistic control".

Elizabeth Jones QC, appearing for EMI, disagreed and said the word "record" in the band's contract "plainly applies to the physical thing - there is nothing to suggest it applies to online distribution".
They're using the (imo correct) interpretation to say that it means the recording, the artistry of it, and EMI is arguing on the technicality of "record" meaning specifically vinyl. Quite pathetic, the record industry is. :(

i made a welcome tot he machine logo my desktop background at work yesterday lol... cuz of this

with our system issues we were all replying to eachother pink floyd album covers lol

as much as they are boobs for not touring and giving into "money"... they still are influential in other ways.

roger waters show was amazing 2 years ago in milwaukee at summerfest. they had a 100foot or larger hd type screen with all sorts of crazy projections and antiwar stuff...

Meh, PF should absolutely have a right to do this... But it probably also means the record companies have the right to do it independent of the artist's wishes, and I'm already seeing it a lot w/other non-concept albums... On Zune (more frequent) and Lala (maybe two or three times) I've come across songs from otherwise unimpressive albums that you can't buy independently, kinda irritating.

As far as Pink Floyd or any other band/artist I really enjoy, I'd buy the CD anyway and rip it myself into FLAC then convert it to MP3 for my portable needs... But in doing so I'm probably not representative of the average consumer at this point at all.

There is a good side and a bad side to this. It depends on if it becomes a reference case or not.

First, Pink Floyd is probably one of the few bands (if not possibly the only one), where every album is worth listening to in it's entirety, time after time. I have every one of them, including some bootleg imports I got off of Amazon.

BUT! If this catches on, we could be put right back where we were 5 years ago, where to get 1 or 2 good songs, you had to pay a lot of money for a full album stuffed with crap.

I have purchased probably 500 singles between iTunes and Amazon MP3. Every one of them are good songs that I like, with no expense wasted on filler crap on the full albums. If I would have to have paid for the full album to get every one of these, it would have cost tens of thousands of dollars instead of the $500 I have invested in it, and 75% of the music would be shit.

Pink floyd, ahhh, music that makes you melt into a chair and dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam ;)

Great band.

Back