Pin Modding my 2400 Mobile.

thecarguy

Limp Gawd
Well, I recently aquired a 2400+ Mobile. Unfortunetly, it is a very poor stepping. The lower "A" stepping. It requires 1.8 volts to go 2420 mhz. I have a crappy power supply, so that might be an issue, but after that thing is upgraded, I am interested in performing a pin mod, perhaps.

All I have heard about the pin mods is they allow a higher overclock. Can anyone explain how this is possible, and what is the best method of performing one of these mods?

I just need a little 411 on the pin mod procedure.

Thanks,

thecarguy

I did this mod using the "wire in the socket" method. Pretty simple and very effective in my case. I went from 205 FSB to 235 FSB Just by doing this. I couldn't tell you why it works, but it does (for most people, YMMV). Here is a link . That board has several good posts on the pin mod if you look around. Good luck.

damn i wish i had read that before i put my 2400m system together last week. but oh well... its running at 2.11ghz at 422 fsb. :D 1.50v chip, 1.8v nb, and 2.8v memory. on a crappy power supply :rolleyes: the best i could get it stable was 1.725v to the cpu at 11X211. this DFI board is great. it seams to have a problem with the usb ports though. i was using a wirless usb adapter in a hotel, and it kept crapping out and making me cycle the connection. the same usb802.11b adapter still works perfectly on my old rig. go figure. but at home, im hard wired so its no big deal. getting a new power supply when i get back in town next week. and that should help the oc a great deal. the voltages are roaming all over the place on this one when i try to juice the chip any more than what its set at right now.

So, you gents are doing the pin mod that ups FSB from 133 to 166, correct?

The one that only requires one wire?

Originally posted by thecarguy
So, you gents are doing the pin mod that ups FSB from 133 to 166, correct?

The one that only requires one wire?

Yep, that's the one.:)

It has proven to increase FSB overclocks 95% of the time. The other 5% (like you and I, dobbz) fry their bios by doing it wrong ;)

Would someone care to post a logical reasoning for this pinmod?

If the motherboard doesn't care (ie already goes above 166, above 200, even) then what does it matter, do, etc, and how?

Yes, this is a technical question.

Back