Pimax 8K VR Kickstarter, fully Vive/SteamVR compatible - Goal accomplished in 1 day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RanceJustice

Supreme [H]ardness
Thought some of you may want to weigh in on this. Pimax is offering a Kickstarter pre-order of sorts (with delivery as soon as December 2017 , or into 1H 2018 for a new VR HMD.

There are multiple display versions from the "lite" 5K version (which is 2x 2560x1440 displays, natively rendered), the default 8K version (2x 2560x1440 displays, but upscaled to 4K for each eye) and the limited production 8K X version (2x 3840x2160 displays, natively rendered! ), if I am to understand it properly. All of these offer a 200 degree FOV as well! It is also fully compliant with all Vive / SteamVR software/hardware - Deluxe packages even come with Vive controllers and sensors. It is also notably modular and made to upgrade, with lots of additional modules to come and some existing ones from other manufacturers already compatible. Pimax has smartly opened their tech, making it easy to support for both hardware and software, and announce they have partnered with big names from Valve/SteamVR, AMD, Nvidia, Leap Motion, to DIsneyland and BMW.

On paper, it seems like it could be really quite exceptional but there are still some questions I'd like to see nailed down before I pull the trigger. For instance, it says it is using "customized low persistence liquid" displays that are said to be very similar to OLEDs, but I'd like to see some real specs and comparisons. There is time to press for answers as they have met their Kickstarter $200,000 goal in just 1 day, and at time of writing are actually over 1,000,000! With 39 days to go, hopefully they'll announce some stretch goals and expand features etc... based on this significant funding. Anyone who wants the 8K X should lock in soon though, as they only have a limited amount.

Thoughts?

Whoops. I don't come to this subforum that often and didn't see it listed near the top as expected. Okay, I''ll put in a mod request for deletion..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back