Pimax 8k and 5K+ reviews are up. And it's looking good!

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by Creig, Sep 16, 2018 at 12:37 PM.

1. Creig

Creig Gawd

Mixed Reality TV

SweViver

VoodooDE VR (German - activate subtitles in Youtube for a running translation)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018 at 8:06 AM
  2. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 2[H]4U

The massively increased FOV is probably the biggest draw that the Pimax brings to the table over current gen HMDs. After watching these reviews, to me at least, the Pimax 5K+ @ 90Hz seems to offer a clearer image and is the better choice over the more expensive Pimax 8K @ 80Hz. Since they are both fed 1440p input signals, the Pimax 8K seems a waste in that it is having to up-scale the 1440p signal. Since it doesn't have any more signal data to work with, it results in a somewhat softer/less focused image on its 4K panels. Yes, this seems to eliminate the SDE better, but at the cost of a somewhat softer, less sharp image running at 80Hz. So, in summary, it seems the Pimax 5K+ will offer the image quality of the Vive Pro, but with a MUCH wider 200 degree diagonal FOV. This is a pretty big deal since the Vive's FOV is only 110 degrees, so it's nearly twice as much!

The only big con I see is that you really need a 2080Ti to power this effectively. The framerates were pretty abysmal across the board given that in the VoodooDE review, the guy was using a 1080Ti and had the VR graphics quality set to "medium".

And the other con that nobody in the reviews seems to bring up is the fact that you look like a freakish alien hammerhead shark like being when wearing the Pimax.... but then again, everyone wearing a VR HMD looks sort of stupid, so this just amps it up to the next level I guess. :)

I wasn't tempted with the Vive Pro, but if the Pimax 5K+ is offered for around ~$600, I might be tempted to pick one up eventually. Just wish they had gone with OLED based panels instead of LCD - the black levels seem to suck. I also don't see the Pimax 8Kx being able to deliver on its promises anytime soon as it'll require two video signals, one for each screen (and that is something that doesn't have a precedence established yet as to VR devices and their drivers - something I don't expect they'll be able to pull off without Nvidia's driver folks helping out) which will also require a LOT more GPU power... I.E. at least a pair of 2080Ti's... that is unless the graphics quality settings are turned down to "potato".

The future for next gen HMDs is looking bright though. Bring on the massive FOV, eye tracking, foveated rendering, varifocus displays, inside-out tracking and OLED 4K panels to really raise the bar - can't wait to see what Oculus and HTC bring to the table with their true next gen HMD VR offerings in a year or two.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 8:09 PM
  3. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

So they both input 1440, the 5K is native and the 8k is scaled up.
    I can't wait for reviews. The 5K isn't enough of a jump, except the FOV.

4. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 2[H]4U

Ummm, you can't wait for reviews? Seriously Hagrid, is your browser borked or something? The Pimax NDA has lifted and the reviews are out. Not exactly sure why you would say that. Scroll up above my post. Creig posted no less than three separate in-depth video reviews right there alone. The first one is 33 minutes long and the other two are well over 2.5 hours in length each! The VoodooDE review guy even posted a detailed write-up on Reddit as well:

5. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

Well I could buy ocean front property here in Arizona.

I would like to see [H] do a review. You know, one that isn't paid by Pimax. Not saying they are, but I do not know.

6. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 2[H]4U

It's not a commercial product yet. These are reviews of the latest Pimax prototype that appears to be very close to what they plan to sell as a commercial product. And I'm not getting a "paid for" vibe from the VoodooDE guy at all. He even suggests that you'll need a 2080Ti if you are thinking of going with Pimax as a VR HMD option.

I just don't understand your "I can't wait for reviews" comment. It's all laid out already... in great detail. He even includes detailed performance #'s. Anything less than a 1080Ti driving it looks like it won't be all that viable and it appears that a 2080Ti will really be needed to drive it well.

Did you just comment without watching any of the reviews?

7. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

I do not know the reviewers, never heard of them. So you want me to blindly trust them? You are joking right?

I really would like to see the 8K in action since it is only 1440p upscaled.

8. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 2[H]4U

Trust them? WTF Hagrid? You can't buy this. It's not for sale. It doesn't exist as a commerical product. You can't even pre-order it.

If you got in on their kickstarter, then you may have one incoming eventually, but this isn't a commercial product that you can buy.

Ok, so you haven't watched the reviews... they show the 8K in action as well as comparison video stills.

9. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

I watched them. Still does not change anything. There are many factors that could make it look better. I did not get in on the kickstarter since I wanted to see if they were going to have 4K or
    if it was just going to be upscaled.

10. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 2[H]4U

OK. Let's just say that I simply don't get where you are coming from nor understand what point you are making here. Maybe it's just me. I'll just disengage and back away now if that's ok. All good here! :)

11. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

It's the same with people waiting for [H] to review the 2080's. They know that [H] just does the reviews and is not paid one way or the other of the outcome.

12. Creig

Creig Gawd

These guys aren't getting paid by Pimax for their reviews. Otherwise I'm sure they'd be pushing the 8K rather than the less expensive 5K+. They're just avid VR enthusiasts. Go look at their respective channels. They review ALL VR hardware/games.

13. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

It's too bad that sli/cfx is dying. VR could really use it. I believe a few games use it. Maybe they need to start implementing it more now with VR getting higher res and more FOV, etc.

14. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

So the interface chips (in terms of imaging bandwidth) are still the limitation, just like for screens. Sigh and hard pass.
    Good to hear it has helped improve the situation though... looks like holding out till gen3 at this rate.

15. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

5K+ . . . looking good
    8K . . . . looking worse
    8K X . . looking forward to this one!