Pillars of Eternity - *Official Discussion Thread*

So it's one bear on normal? I had 2 on hard. I suspect hard means more enemies per battle. That's how difficulty should be!!! Nothing worse than artificial hitpoint bloat just to make it harder.

There were 3 on Path of the Damned when i did it, but i think it is a little of both, creatures are higher level / more defence/offense as well as more per encounter.

That is partly why i started over and wanted to play path of the damned, more enemies and more challenge, makes AOE's much more important.

do you have to position all the characters always? I notice there is a positioning thingy (F) but does not really seem to get applied in a predictable way. main character always leads the party and gets the brunt of the attacks regardless of where they are on the chart. So I guess I am doing it wrong...

There is a button bottom middle area of the screen where you can change your formations and have your muscle lead the way.

Having a blast with this game the gamma on the other hand not really BenQ monitors don't do well in low settings I think I messed with it a good two hours to get the setting just right.

I talked to the guy on the King guy in the keep have a party of 6 now

Two Melee guys
One Thief for lock picking traps
One Druid for the awesome Bear
One Mage that joined me
Enchanter guy who joined me but skeletons last like two seconds...

I like the Druid the best so far Bear comes in handy

I found part of the Kickstarter backer stuff in the game early on in the dungeon.
Some of the people put their pets name in the game =)

do you have to position all the characters always? I notice there is a positioning thingy (F) but does not really seem to get applied in a predictable way. main character always leads the party and gets the brunt of the attacks regardless of where they are on the chart. So I guess I am doing it wrong...

The your characters are supposed to get into formation once combat has started. However, due to the physical environment and position of enemies, this may not work predictably.

to help things for the character which you want on the front line; drag their character portrait to the left of the row of portraits on the bottom left of the screen. this will make them the party lead and will mean that they usually make first contact with enemies.

The your characters are supposed to get into formation once combat has started. However, due to the physical environment and position of enemies, this may not work predictably.

to help things for the character which you want on the front line; drag their character portrait to the left of the row of portraits on the bottom left of the screen. this will make them the party lead and will mean that they usually make first contact with enemies.

Ya that formation thing never works for me since I want all my guys in the formation before I go into combat. So I just manualy do it every time.

Ya that formation thing never works for me since I want all my guys in the formation before I go into combat. So I just manualy do it every time.

formation works for me. usually i have them sneak just before aggro range stop them short of it and they all get in formation, and then initiate the attack and they are all in their proper place, if you just move them around and randomly change directions different characters will be in front because they will not try to overtake each other to get into formation on the move but as so as they get to their stop location they are in formation.

So order them short of aggro range to stop and they all get in formation ready to go for the next command.

50 hours in and I've come to the end, but I did not complete everything, I'll have to get those things done next playthrough. Luckily, the game is good enough I'm excited for a second run.

Ok so I am about 25 hours in and just got my stronghold. Which makes me think I can't be that far in but it looks like I have been to half of the map already... is the world map the only one you go to? Or can you travel to different places that have different maps?

That's the only map. It seems to have some space left for expansions or DLC though.

Ok so I am about 25 hours in and just got my stronghold. Which makes me think I can't be that far in but it looks like I have been to half of the map already... is the world map the only one you go to? Or can you travel to different places that have different maps?

You probably have 30-40 hours left in the game if that's the case.

Also; there are a few places on the map that show up later, plus all the underground stuff.

You probably have 30-40 hours left in the game if that's the case.

Also; there are a few places on the map that show up later, plus all the underground stuff.

Oh ok, loving the game, but I wish it were longer. Hey is any thing in the game random like Loot on people or chests? Or is it all pre-planned?

is there any point to upgrading the keep? Every thing I have been hearing about it makes it seem like it's pointless.

Last edited:

sounds like you skipped it from the beginning. :p

sounds like you skipped it from the beginning.
:p

Ya I didn't figure put that you could find new/get to certain areas by going to that side of the local map. Lol

This is about on par for me I didn't realize oblivion had fast travel for about 30 hours of play lol.

Oh ok, loving the game, but I wish it were longer. Hey is any thing in the game random like Loot on people or chests? Or is it all pre-planned?

is there any point to upgrading the keep? Every thing I have been hearing about it makes it seem like it's pointless.

I was little disappointed in the stronghold. Felt like it should have been more.

The wardens lodge. Has a bunch of bounties to go and kill different groups of troublemakers. That was fun but only 12 of them.

Dungeon could be interesting but by the time I built it I only ever found one person to toss into and I actually let them go instead. So not sure how good it is.

Stronghold was attacked twice. One in the early days and once towards the end of the game. Also had very few visitors even after everything was built. I'm wondering if there are some bugs with that.

I plan on cheating my next play through and enabling it from the start with key buildings built from the start.

Endless path dungeon was good but separate from the stonghold in my mind.

Ok cool thanks for the Info. I hope there are some expansions that focus a bit more on the stronghold.

im loving my monk the dps is nuts he does mroe dps then every one else put together.

fights are like this send in the monk then drop heals on him while he kills stuff faster then my mage can whit aoe.

does any one find the mage a little under powered vs the cyliper guy? the mage only gets to cast x spells after a rest so most fights he doesn't do any thing but the other guy gets to cast them every fight and his cc is a lot better then the mage

I did a dual wield amaua barb with mostly passive abilities. He definitely did the most damage for me. I think I may do druid next, as I've tried everything else during the beta (even as limited as that was)

Sorry if this was covered, but I am just a little irritated at how easy it is, (not always, but often), to use my wolf to scout ahead and lure enemies back to my per-positioned ambush...I feel there could be some AI tweaking here.

Looks like the hotfix is up on GoG, replacing the original patch. Hopefully it includes both hotfix #1 & 2.

doing a 2 handed barb with a great sword. omg, some of the crits are insane. :eek:

How much Mana or what level do I need to be to cast Fireball ????? it doesn't show up on ALoth's quick spell bar.
Unless I have too many items on the bar not sure how to config it.

There is no mana in this game, you only get a set number of casts either per rest or per encounter. Open the spell book and you have to assign the spell to a slot. You only get 4 slots per spell level so you have to pick an choose wisely.

I think you need to be level 5 or 6 to cast third level. When you level up and pick new spells it should then appear.

when you pick up other caster's books, you can learn spells from them. right click a spell if you see an icon on the spell.

Yeah I got the fireball spell transferred to the other spell book. I wish I could memorize scrolls like in Baldurs Gate.

Love the engine, graphics, animation, combat, but it lacks BG2 and Torments wondrous and unique locations.

Love the engine, graphics, animation, combat, but it lacks BG2 and Torments wondrous and unique locations.

I agree. I bought the game and gave it a go and regret buying it.

The storyline feels too generic and the characters/storyline just don't pull me in like the older Infinite Engine games pulled me in.

It doesn't have that mysterious feel to it.

I still think that Shadowrun Dragonfall takes the cake as the best Isometric Tactical RPG that has been released within the past 10 years.

I still think that Shadowrun Dragonfall takes the cake as the best Isometric Tactical RPG that has been released within the past 10 years.

It is a pretty damn amazing game, that's for sure. I hope Hong Kong lives up to its legacy :D.

You'd have to be too old and jaded to think the classics were better in almost every way.

You'd have to be too old and jaded to think the classics were better in almost every way.

its the same old argument..

is it a revolution or evolution of the genre

see, I'd love to see a real revolution in all genres...and all these 'designers' can do is give us the same old shit. and thats the problem..alot of us have played all these pc games for 20 years....hell, civ was born in 1991 and guess what, we're STILL playing 'civ type' games....

and the iso rpg was created what, 30 years ago?...remember the 2d wizardry games when you had to map out the dugeon levels using graph paper!! ...I for one NEVER wanna do that again

bottom line, give me a revolution...new settings/atmosphere..less killing and more story...the only game that looks revolutionary lately is sunless sea...and people bitch about that too

now excuse me as I go play the 12th reincarnation of a civ game...

its the same old argument..

is it a revolution or evolution of the genre

see, I'd love to see a real revolution in all genres...and all these 'designers' can do is give us the same old shit. and thats the problem..alot of us have played all these pc games for 20 years....hell, civ was born in 1991 and guess what, we're STILL playing 'civ type' games....

and the iso rpg was created what, 30 years ago?...remember the 2d wizardry games when you had to map out the dugeon levels using graph paper!! ...I for one NEVER wanna do that again

bottom line, give me a revolution...new settings/atmosphere..less killing and more story...the only game that looks revolutionary lately is sunless sea...and people bitch about that too

now excuse me as I go play the 12th reincarnation of a civ game...

Yeah, imagine the revolution if the next installment of the pillars the franchise took a turn to be open work 1st/3rd person sanbox la Fallout New Vegas. There would be a lot of cranky people. I don't need any more isometric in my game diet. But I'll still play them for devs that can tell a good story. Revolution is a way for some to be happy and others to cry. Obsidian promised a game in the spirit of BG and delivered more in that spirit than I expected. "different" can be "innovative" or it can mean "lost their way". this kickstarter delivered as promised. I'm fine if the next game moves on, but unsure if over 50% of the backers would be happy with that.

Back