Pillars of Eternity - *Official Discussion Thread*

Having never played any of the spiritual precursors to this game, I have to admit I was nervous enough about not knowing whether I'd enjoy it to "borrow" a copy from my uncle internet.

After playing for 2 hours, I Immediately bought a copy, because it's completely awesome. Now to find more time to sink into it. Curse you real life obligations!

Think I'll switch from my Bloodborne thing to this game you can only fall in so many snake pits and be attacked by Mushrooms while looking for Save points.

Think I'll switch from my Bloodborne thing to this game you can only fall in so many snake pits and be attacked by Mushrooms while looking for Save points.

if you are expecting to get away from mushrooms by playing PoE you are mistaken.

:D

Considering the game went gold a few weeks ago, and there was no day one patch, I imagine the first patch is going to be fairly hefty.

So i figured out why some times it feels like they dont follow your ability commands, if they are in the middle of doing auto attacks, and you try to shift queue an ability it puts that ability as something it will do after the auto attack except it never interrupts the auto attacking, so you have to make sure you do not shift click an ability if they are auto attacking, you need to just click it normally then shift click any abilities after that first one.

You would think shift clicking any ability would make it work after the current auto attack, instead it just keeps auto attacking as if the queue was never actually initiated.

Edit, so after i started over on Path of the Damned difficulty, i finally got the warden shack for my strong hold to do some high level bounties that i breezed through on normal difficulty.

Note to self: Run away...

pSVZfXn.jpg

Last edited:
How long does it take them to get back to support requests? Last night I went to download the game and had to pick my pledge level, I gave $45 and had picked the $25 tier reward, I had no clue what the options entailed so I asked them to contact me for clarification. So until I hear something back I cant download the game.

the spells really piss me off they have no range and they target where a mob/ party was not where they are at once them move fuckign bs. telling my mage to cast a spell and the dumb ass runs right next to a mob to cast it most of the times

am i missing some thing or is their no way to tell your guys to cast it at your guys or at a mob not where the mob was?

the spells really piss me off they have no range and they target where a mob/ party was not where they are at once them move fuckign bs. telling my mage to cast a spell and the dumb ass runs right next to a mob to cast it most of the times

am i missing some thing or is their no way to tell your guys to cast it at your guys or at a mob not where the mob was?

it depends on the spell, some spells are AOE so you choose a place to cast it on the ground, if they move that is not the spells fault that is just bad luck or you cast something on the ground that leave a DOT so they tried to get out of it leaving the area for your next spell to miss.

then there are direct target spells, ones where you select a target and no matter where the mob goes the spell will hit them.

then there are direct target spells can can also have a secondary aoe so you aim it at a certain mob and then it can cause splash aoe damage.

then there are cone spells as well

and touch spells that require close range

when you go to learn a spell as a wizard you can choose to pick more long range spells, it is pretty important to know the range of a spell before you use it, but for the most part the range does not matter, use your tanks to make a wall and put the caster right behind them if they have short range spells so they cast over the shoulder.

you can also dictate where some enemies move by dropping a AOE dot on the ground and the enemy can scatter to avoid the damage, you can drop one to scatter them, then drop another where they ran off too and by then they are usually tired of moving and just take the damage.

Anyway to make sure the cursor stays locked in screen on a multi-monitor setup? I have the cage mouse option checked but it does not work. Making the game really hard to play.

I wish I liked reading and I wish I was into games like this. I hear nothing but awesome stuff about it but when I watch game play, it doesn't appeal to me at all.

Someone try to convince me. Ready, set, go.

I wish I liked reading and I wish I was into games like this. I hear nothing but awesome stuff about it but when I watch game play, it doesn't appeal to me at all.

Maybe it is great to them but not to you. There's nothing wrong with that. Lots of people think Call of Duty is the best thing ever but it doesn't interest me in the least bit.

Different strokes for different folks ... no game is perfect for everyone ... if this one doesn't fit your interests that is fine ... RPGs in general tend to have much smaller user bases than much more accessible action and FPS titles ... although I am sure that this title will pick up some new users and introduce them to this style of RPG game, the main benefit of games like this is a return to the publishing strategy of the 80's/90's where more niche products like this were still made (as opposed to the big publisher strategies of the 2000's where only the big market titles were most desirable and likely to get support)

Maybe it is great to them but not to you. There's nothing wrong with that. Lots of people think Call of Duty is the best thing ever but it doesn't interest me in the least bit.

lol, I know. I just want a new game to play, damnit!

BTW, COD is horrible.

Different strokes for different folks ... no game is perfect for everyone ... if this one doesn't fit your interests that is fine ... RPGs in general tend to have much smaller user bases than much more accessible action and FPS titles ... although I am sure that this title will pick up some new users and introduce them to this style of RPG game, the main benefit of games like this is a return to the publishing strategy of the 80's/90's where more niche products like this were still made (as opposed to the big publisher strategies of the 2000's where only the big market titles were most desirable and likely to get support)

I love RPG's, just not the Baldur's Gate type ones. I think I might pick this one up later down the road when it's around $15 on steam.

lol, I know. I just want a new game to play, damnit!

I love RPG's, just not the Baldur's Gate type ones. I think I might pick this one up later down the road when it's around $15 on steam.

Nothing wrong with that ... generally that is how I buy most games ... I have been willing to buy into a few of these early access titles (I actually bought into their Kickstarter campaigns) because they were titles that were kind of declining due to the big publisher shift to mass market titles or monetized titles (DLC, IAP, etc) ... I am very choosy which of these Early Access titles I support and at what level (I supported PoE at a very high tier because I like the developer and the style of game), some of the other titles I have supported have been at half or even a quarter of the level I was willing to support PoE ... and others I have been happy to wait for the Steam sale :cool:

I'd love to try this game but not at the current price without first playing it. Wish there was a demo or 10 day trial before handing over the mulla.

Different strokes for different folks ... no game is perfect for everyone ... if this one doesn't fit your interests that is fine ... RPGs in general tend to have much smaller user bases than much more accessible action and FPS titles ...although I am sure that this title will pick up some new users and introduce them to this style of RPG game

What you said is generally true. I just want to point out this game has been a top 15 daily most played steam game, since it released.*

It seems that a lot of people are picking up what this is putting down ; )

It actually had been more like Top 10. I think news of the bugs and a coming patch caused a slight hit to the numbers.

What you said is generally true. I just want to point out this game has been a top 15 daily most played steam game, since it released.*

It seems that a lot of people are picking up what this is putting down ; )

It actually had been more like Top 10. I think news of the bugs and a coming patch caused a slight hit to the numbers.

it hasn't affected me yet.

Waiting for a patch, hopefully next week? GF is out of town weekend after next, plan to spend some quality time with this bad boy. :D

So...not knowing all the bugs, does this seem to address the worst? Once this hits, go time for purchase?

So...not knowing all the bugs, does this seem to address the worst? Once this hits, go time for purchase?

I am personally going to wait for one more patch. At least with Divinity Original Sin, the second patch was the real big one as they had more time to work with, rather than the first which quickly took care of some more serious bugs but left tons of balancing and quest issues.

Appears to hit the big ones. I've only encountered one of them that made me load an earlier save. Lost an hour to never ending insect swarm. Had minor stat issues but having 18 in int and not 20 isn't game breaking for me.

But it hasn't stopped me from playing. What is stopping me from playing is work :(

What is everyone's favorite character build so far? Loving my dual wield dwarf barbarian. Toying around with making a monk or druid next but am 10 hours in so far. Wish I had more time to devote to the game because it is pretty much my game of the year for last year and this year as well so far.

I'm boring and always seem to go melee-oriented for my first playthrough of an RPG, usually like a fighter/barbarian, but I keep getting grass-is-greener syndrome as I read about all the cool things that some of the other classes do. So when the patch hits I'm thinking to start over with a Cipher and start melting enemies souls, literally. Seriously, take a gander at some of the spells and abilities these guys get and tell me they don't sound bad ass:

Soul Ignition
Requires: 20 Focus

This forces enemies into leaking energy from their soul which catches fire and burns all enemies within the area-of-effect.

http://segmentnext.com/2015/04/02/p...pher-class-guide-stats-abilities-and-talents/

Last edited:
I always pick monk in any game if it gives me the option.

Usually pick a human male monk, and name him Yuan-Jia, but i went female and named her Korra since i finished watching The Legend of Korra with my niece a week or so ago.

Back